Weight Loss Challenge

• Please log in to reply

2814 replies to this topic

double s mom

double s mom

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

Thanks all!  I try to follow Weight Watchers because I eat pretty healthy but have an issue with portion control.   Due to all the crazy in my life I have a hard time finding time to exercise.  In theory I want to start with walking on the weekends when I have a bit of time.

Yogabunny

Yogabunny

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

Crimsongrl, thank you for the info. I am not on a specific diet plan. That's the problem. And my gym schedule, which I have kept up for years has gone to hxll. The week before Christmas is not the best time to start on a plan, but I do not want to put it off any longer esp. as I always gain weight in the winter. Luckily our entertaining is light this year. My goal is to lose ten pounds, not insurmountable. I have used Fit Pal and was religious about logging, alas no longer.

I want to put a plan together and intend to do so in the next few days. Thank you for the encouragement.

lisagirl36

lisagirl36

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

It's been a while since I've checked in.  I am posting to say I  weighed in this morning at 240.  Down another 5 pounds.  Recently I've developed a severe allergic reaction to peanuts.  That totally sucks but on the positive side, I can't eat the ton of cookies and candy coming into the office daily!  Everyone have a safe and fantastic Christmas next week!!!

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2013 @ 8:13 AM

Good work lisagirl! And way to look for the positive.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

n/m

Edited by pennben, Dec 23, 2013 @ 12:36 AM.

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

For anyone who's lurking, come on out! :) Even if it's just to vent or talk about setbacks. I don't know anyone who lost weight just once and never had to worry about it again. It's hard work and sometimes it sucks. lol

I popped in to check on Thorunn and make sure she hadn't overdosed on Icelandic treats!

Oh, I finished T25 (-7.5lbs. & 2% body fat) and began Body Revolution on Sunday. Apparently I'm stronger than I thought & need to increase my weights.

Happy Holidays and start the New Year strong!

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

I've been counting calories since June 1st. As of this morning, I have lost 64 pounds. I eat whatever I want (except gluten, since I am allergic *sad face*), I just eat less of it. 

Since I've started this, I have noticed that different foods make me feel better or worse. I don't stress about macros, but one thing I have noticed is that I feel better throughout the day if I start the day with a high fat meal, like an omelette. I've also noticed that on days when I only eat a small amount of fat I am hungry the whole time. So, I try to get the majority of my calories from fat in the morning, have a little more balance in the afternoon, but still keep the fat fairly high (compared to what most people do) and then load my yummy, yummy carbs in the evening.

I'm still not working out much, though. Or, really, at all. I want to start the Couch to 5k program eventually. 

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

Omelets are also high in protein which is what is keeping you full.

Great work on losing 64 pounds!

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

Protein helps with my energy, but not my hunger. If I eat lean proteins I am hungry all the time. More fat and fewer carbs is what helps with hunger for me. 

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 10:00 AM

How's everyone doing in the New Year? I'm down 2.2 lbs. since Christmas. I'm finally back to losing a little something every week. Even if its just .4 on the scale it keeps me motivated.

I'm on week 3 of Body Revolution and so far so good. Though my upper body is a sad state. I can do about 7 real push-ups before I have to start the "girly" ones. Guess I found another goal to add to the list.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 10:22 AM

I need to get back into exercising. I am probably going to restart the Jillian Michael's DVD that I started a while back. Maybe combine that with the Wi Fit. At least until I figure out how to get up and be at work by 6AM so I can got ot the gym in the afternoon. Or decide that I am ok working out at night and not spending time with DH. I can go after the Little Man is in bed at 7:30.

Either way, I need to get back into exercising.

My weight seems to be holding steady. I want my Mothers scale, that had me at 5 pounds less then my home scale.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

I lost 66 pounds in 2013. I pretty much didn't exercise at all last year. I have a recumbent elliptical, but it is really uncomfortable and I hate it. I want to add exercise in for 2014. So far, I have gone out walking twice: yesterday and today. Yesterday I walked about a mile and today I walked 1.8 miles. I also ordered a hula hoop, but won't get it for a couple of weeks. 

I use the bodymedia fit. I am thinking about getting an HRM also.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

Great work ThatPoshGirl!

Diet plays a huge role in weight loss/gain so I can see how you can lose 66 pounds without adding exercise. The exercise should help you shape, tone, and gain energy. Good luck!

Thorunn

Thorunn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 10:08 PM

crimsongrl you literally made me laugh out loud.  I think I'm still in a chocolate coma after the Holidays.  I got 2 weeks off from work and we basically were sloths the entire time, stayed at home and didn't do much.  I did however manage to either run or go to the gym about 10-12 times in the 16 days I had off so it wasn't too bad.

Exercise has never been an issue for me, I like it and I do it (although I have to get up at 5 am to be able to do it before getting the kids ready for school and myself ready for work).  It's food that's my biggest problem.  I simply like eating and I like eating a lot.  I have a serious sweet tooth and I swear, I could live off chocolate for days if I'd allow myself to do so.  Desserts are one of my weakness, in a way that as soon as I've swallowed my last meal bite, I want something sweet.  And usually go for it.

I did gain some weight during Christmas (come on, we got over 5 kg of sweets sent from Iceland, no way in hell I would not gain weight from that) but I've started minding my diet again.  I have a goal for the year and it's basically to get down to BMI 23 and stay between 23 and 24.  I'm quite tall but I'm also pretty heavy (bone structure) so this will be a good challenge for me.

I'll keep reading what you guys have to say and might comment from time to time.  It's great to see what and how everyone is doing and I like the feeling that "I'm not alone" in this. 

Keep up the good work

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 12:25 AM

Thorunn lives! I was starting to get worried. lol
Good to see you back on the wagon and with a goal to focus on.
My current mini goal is to get into a pair of cute jeans hanging in my closet by the end of the month. If I could just magically spot reduce the fat from my booty I'd be in them by now!
In positive news: I did 8 real pushups today, so there's that.

Edited by crimsongrl, Jan 9, 2014 @ 11:29 AM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 7:53 AM

I need to get back on the wagon. No more potato chips allowed in the house. I ate a bag the past two days. And by a bag I mean 8 servings in one bag.

(sigh)

I need to remember to go for the salt and pepper pistacios when my salt craving kicks in

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

An ounce of pistachios and an ounce of potato chips are almost identical in calories.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 9:28 AM

Yup but I am less likely to eat an entire bag of pistachios and the protein found in the postachios is likely to help me feel more full and decrease the desire to eat something in the next few hours.

Which means that I can have one serving of pistachios, about 23 or so, and take care of my salt craving and feel full for 160 calories. Or I can eat one serving of Spicy Thai Potato Chips, decide I want more, eat a second serving, not feel full and love the salt so have a third and end up eating the entire bag.

Salty foods are my weakness. I love them. I struggle with stopping eating them. So it is a matter of eating something similar that fills my salt craving but doesn't kick off an lets eat the whole bag mess. It is an internal battle that I have not figured out how to win.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 12:08 PM

I'm the opposite, I guess. I can never stop at just one serving of nuts. I can eat an ounce of potato chips and feel satisfied. With nuts, I feel like I am just getting started and then I want more nuts or something else.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 1:16 PM

The single serving pack of nuts are great for me. With pistachios, removing the shells slows me down so I can feel full and stop with the one serving.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 10:18 PM

I'm trying to get back into shape--I got a brand new left acl in December of '13 and I've been trying to build it back up to where I was when I injured it (Tae Kwon Do).  They had to debreed the kneecap (shave the frayed cartilage) and that hindered the recovery a bit.  So, I joined the nearby Planet Fitness and it's pretty neat. I think the crowds will die down once the year gets past January.  

Tonight I did 10 jumping jacks whenever anyone said the word "journey" during the program.   It's a start.  

Good luck to all!  We can do it!

Edited by gryphon, Jan 21, 2014 @ 10:26 PM.

Thorunn

Thorunn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2014 @ 12:41 AM

I'm sloooowly taking the holiday/Icelandic candy weight off.  I weighed in at 172 pounds this morning, which is the lowest I've been for 2 months or so.  My goal is to get to at least 165 pounds over the next 2-3 months and then take some additional months to go down to 159 pounds.  I know that is reaching for me, but hey, a girl can dream.  

I just went through some old photos and almost died from embarrassment from the way I used to look.  I mean I did allow myself to get to 272 pounds and it was not attractive.  It was a good reminder of why I keep going to the gym and try to watch what I eat (for the most part).

I hope everyone is doing well, I like coming in here and see what people are up to so please, keep up the good work.

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 4, 2014 @ 10:33 PM

Just wandering by for the first time in a few years.  Nice to see people still honestly posting their weight results.  All the times i gained excessive amounts of weight were the times I avoided the scale.  I've been hanging around 214# for about five years now which still puts me in the Obese range, but hey, I'm almost 60.  Lost 130# over 11 years and have managed to keep the weight off this time.  I don't exercise nor watch my diet so I guess I've changed my eating habits enough to maintain my weight.  I'd like to lose more weight, but I learned many times in the past that it's got to be more lifestyle change rather than diet, otherwise after the diet ends the weight will come back.  Been there, done that. 

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 2:31 AM

Hey y'all! Haven't posted in ages since I'm in plateau hell. No gain, but these last 20 pounds are going to be even harder than I thought. I got stuck in the same spot years ago so I'm trying to remain positive and avoid the cookie dough ice cream.

I hope everyone is doing well and will make the trip over to previously.tv when the lights go out.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 5:54 AM

I am over there crimsongrl. We should be able to start a topic for the Challenge there.

That last 20 pounds kind of suck. I was sitting on those for about 4 years before I got pregnant, had a kid and lost the weight. It is hard but that is when I started using My Fitness Pal and a pedomiter (Fitbit). They helped me stay honest and motivate myself to move.