Weight Loss Challenge

• Please log in to reply

2814 replies to this topic

Dust Cover

Dust Cover

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 10:34 PM

Some people have been tossing around the idea of doing a challenge for the length of this season (in the same vein as the Pound for Pound Challenge from last season I suppose) and I figured we'd need a thread for it.

My goal for the length of the season is to get to "One-derland". I started out at 328 lbs at the begining of last December and weighed in last week at 221. That means losing 22 lbs by the time this season ends and I think I can do it.

Anyone know when exactly this season will end?

Quizzical1

Quizzical1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 1:07 AM

Hey Dust Cover! We weigh the same! And hopefully we'll lose the same!

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 7:18 AM

I'm just letting y'all know that this isn't an official TWoP thing (or TBL thing, for that matter). I'm sure you guys know that, but I'm putting it out there all the same.

missyprissy

missyprissy

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 8:03 AM

I'm in! I already had a goal to be 199 by Christmas, and I'm at 223 as of this morning, down from 250ish earlier this year. So it looks like we're all pretty much on the same page so far. I don't know for sure when the season ends, but it's usually mid-December, isn't it? I just hope to lose *one* pound, for every 10 they lose on the show, I'd be a happy girl!

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 9:44 AM

Good morning, everybody! Thank you, Dust Cover, for getting us our own thread! I weighed in this morning at 147, down 1.5 from last Tuesday. I'm hoping to be at 120 at the end of the season, which is ambitious, but this challenge will keep me more focused on the goal. (Ha-I typed "goat" instead of "goal" at first.)

Wow, Dust Cover, 107 pounds in less than a year! That's pretty amazing! Good work! Welcome to the challenge, missyprissy!

spikester

spikester

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 6:22 PM

Hi guys! I am going to be in too.
I want to lose 15-20lb by Dec. I am trying by exercising more and counting WW points.
I know I keep starting and not being successful but hopefully this will help keep me on track.
I have lost 3 lb in the last 2 weeks.
So far this week has been a challenge, but tomorrow is a new day!

mmegrey

mmegrey

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

Ok, so I finally started working out again this week. I'm at 143.5. That's 1 1/2lbs down. Looking to get down to 130 by season end.

This week is going to be super challenging. Having a social life is my downfall. I'm catching up with a friend tomorrow over dinner, M. Grey is having a big birthday happy hour celebration on Thursday, and wants me to take him to his favorite restaurant (which is also my favorite) over the weekend. Ugh!

Edited by mmegrey, Sep 29, 2009 @ 8:17 PM.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 9:03 PM

I would like to join, if I can. I will weigh in tomorrow.

spikester

spikester

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 9:59 PM

Oh, I neglected to say my starting weight - I am at 208. My final goal is 125ish.

I am only 5' tall, and medium boned, which might be disguised as small boned, but my shoulders are pretty wide. I am built like Shawn Johnson (although fat!)

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Sep 30, 2009 @ 8:41 AM.

lanascrub

lanascrub

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 10:31 PM

I'm in! As of this morning I'm at 242. I've been working out for almost 3 weeks and have lost around 3 pounds, but I need to get my diet in order. If the show ends in mid-December, I'd like to get down to at least 220 by then.

ratherbereading

ratherbereading

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:20 PM

I'm in of course.

Last Tuesday was 295.

Today 294. Considering that Friday was 295, losing 3 pounds over the weekend was not to bad.

Goal by Christmas is 270.

Final goal 180-Doctor figures about 15-20 pounds of loose skin will need to be removed bringing me down to 160. (Considering that at my heaviest I was 426, I will have a lot of loose skin). Being 5' 7" with a large frame (from the Weight Loss Issues Thread) I have a 7" wrist. It is at the higher end but my Doctor would be very pleased with that.

Good luck everyone.

Lordloveaduck

Lordloveaduck

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:15 AM

Re frame size: by those standards as given above, I am "large," as I am a 5'6' woman with a wrist measurement just under 7". But I also found this:

"What is your body frame size?
(wrap your thumb and major fingers around your smallest part of your wrist)?
Small Frame (the fingers overlap)
Medium Frame (the fingers barely touch)
Large Frame (the fingers don't touch)"

By those calculations, my frame is "Small," since my fingers easily overlap my thumb when I circle my wrist.

Anyone have any insight into the difference between those two readings? I consider myself a "medium" just based on what sweater size I used to wear at my smallest adult weight (135 lbs.).

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 6:12 AM

I'm in. I'm not doing a weigh in today due to water weight issues, but from last year I'm down 30 pounds and counting and I want to lose at least another 10 in the next 2 months, because I'm going to Scotland. (I've got alot more than that to go, but I'm taking the slow and steady approach and it is definately slow, but it's also easy to maintain).

I'm 5'7'' as well, and by the wrist test, my finger overlap, so that would be small, but I'm not sure if that's right so I measured my wrist and it was 6 inches. Whatever that means.

Bronxcutie

Bronxcutie

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 9:18 AM

I am embarrassed to post my weight but I am definitely in. I weighed 348 on August 3. As of today, September 30, I weight 330. I actually went for a consultation on lap band surgery and the surgeon and nutritionist thought I weighed about 260. They were shocked at my real weight. I guess that's a good thing. I definitely look smaller, am a bit solid, but at 29 years old, I know that I am morbidly obese. I turn 30 on December 5 and I would like to be down to 300 by then. I am 5'7 and my goal weight is 165.

Right now I am monitoring my calorie intake on sparkpeople.com. I find that I am much more energetic, have less headaches and stomachaches since I have started eating healthier. I have also cut down on the alcohol. It's difficult being in the 20's and 30's in NYC. I don't plan on drinking until my birthday. I try to eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, but for some reason for the past three days, I haven't been able to eat more than 1300 calories. I cannot stick to the Biggest Loser diet of 1200 calories for women. I noticed that on both days I ate less than 150 g of carbs. I may try a low carb diet as an experiment to see if it keeps me full as it has for the past two days. I also try to go to the gym at least three times a week. I usually do strength training at home twice a week with ten pound weights, resistance bands, and squats.

I wish everyone the best on their weight loss journey.

jj17

jj17

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 9:45 AM

I'm down 3 lbs in two weeks. I like to weigh in after TBL...my own private weigh in.

I try to keep a food diary and usually do well for a couple days then I stop usually over the weekend. I've decide to not let this stop me and just start my food diary again Monday. I do find it a useful tool. I check my total calories and ask do I really need that snack??? I try to keep my calorie intake between 1500-1800. This and exercising should give me a 1-2 lb weight loss each week, I hope.

Pixelady

Pixelady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 9:48 AM

I'm in too! Congrats to everyone who has already lost weight.

I had already decided to lose 20 lbs by Christmas, so this will give me additional motivation. And I need all the motivation I can get my hands on. And I will name my motivation George and I will hug it and pet it and squeeze it.

I weigh on Sundays:
Starting (Sept. 27) = 203
Goal by Christmas = 183 (9.85% of current weight to lose)

I'll still need to lose after this but 1 goal at a time. I only started with food this week and will start adding exercising next week. Makes me feel a little lazy as I watch the contestants on TBL.

Edited to fix my weight which is large enough without adding on another pound.

Edited by Pixelady, Sep 30, 2009 @ 7:22 PM.

Racerex

Racerex

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 10:31 AM

I'm in. I'd like to be down 20lbs by season end. I can't always catch the show, because seriously, this thing is 2 hours long and I have kids. What I miss I read in the recap.

I usually weigh in on Mondays. So last check in I was 239.6 - I'm not little by any means, but people are usually surprised when they see the actual number.

I'm 5'5" and have a 7" wrist, which puts me in the large boned category.

satinedemr

satinedemr

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 10:38 AM

I almost never post, but would love to be in on this challenge. :)

I weigh in on Saturdays at WW, so my starting weight is 177.4

I would like to get down to 159 by the end of the season. This seemed more reasonable before I gained 2 lbs last week ...

That thread about frame size was really interesting! I also have a 7" wrist and never even considered that I could have a large frame just shy of 5'5

IOU_Payne

IOU_Payne

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

I'm another Saturday WW weigher-inner. *Waves tracker at satinedemr*

I'm starting at 181, and by the end of the season, I'd like to be at 165. I'm 5'4", post-menopausal and an apple, with a medium frame. Since last December, I've lost almost 40 pounds going from a 22W pant to a 16 regular, and I'm kinda at the halfway mark. I'm also exercising 4-5 times a week (elliptical, lots of walking and dragging a shopping cart full of groceries)

So, count me in!

zoekat

zoekat

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:16 PM

I'm in. I need some extra motivation. About a year ago I lost 21 pounds and I've maintained that weight for a year, but I'd like to drop that final 10-15 to get to my ideal weight.

I'm 5'8" and currently fluctuate between 165 and 167 (started at 186). I'd like to eventually end up at 150, which is where I was 10 years ago when I was in my best shape at 24. People are sometimes surprised that I weigh that much as I tend to carry it fairly well - spread out rather than in one place I guess! I currently wear size 8 - 10 pants (depending on the store) and I'd like to be firmly in the comfortable size 8 category.

For me the key is diet as I do exercise quite hard and fairly regularly (I ran 10K on Sunday and did a 75 min spin class and weights last night). However, I eat out too much and I love chips! Anyway, I'm trying to bring lunch to work and cook dinner at home and I'm tracking my diet and exercise with the Lose It! application for iPhone. If any of you have an iPhone and don't have this yet - get it - it is great.

Good luck everyone!

satinedemr

satinedemr

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:53 PM

IOU Payne, I totally caved and bought the 3-month journal. And the Points clicker thing for the keychain. I am a WW sucker :) But yay for Saturday weighing in!

slient knight

slient knight

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

I don't post much, but I'm in. I weigh myself on Saturdays. I weighed 201 and I'd like to get down to 180 by the end of the year.

Lordloveaduck

Lordloveaduck

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

Racerex, you and I are almost identical.

Looks like most of us are aiming for a 20 lbs. loss by mid-December. That's my goal too. Starting at 239, as of this a.m. I was 259 last summer, at my highest-ever weight. I'd like to be 219 by Christmas.

Definite hour-glass here, 13" difference bust-to-waist-to-hips. When I tested my waist to hip ratio on some site, it said "Looks like you are doing fine, keep it up!" because the ratio was good. Well, obviously I need to get the absolute numbers down, ratio regardless.

For me, it's a question of getting enough exercise. I've been keeping a food journal, going by recommendations at the Mypyramid.gov site, and my eating habits are fine. I just need to make sure to get one hour of intense exercise in every day, or my weight loss completely stalls.

I am following some of the meal plans in "The Flat-Belly Diet." I like the overall concept of including nuts, olive oil, and other mono-unsaturated fats at every meal. Their plan keeps me satisfied and includes all the basic food groups in reasonable proportions, so it seems a healthy way to eat.

Ilikecoffee

Ilikecoffee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 4:22 PM

I could stand to lose 20 lbs. I'm in.

spikester

spikester

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 10:36 PM

I am a total apple shape, and very short which makes it worse.

And on a sad note, people think I am pregnant on the metro, and try to give me their seat. It is pretty embarrassing.

When I first realized that was what was happening I said "no" and the person was really insistent. Finally I was like, I am just fat.
And then burst into tears.
I have to keep remembering that to keep me motivated.

Although I haven't been super great about exercising, I am making a real effort to walk alot.
I get off at the furthest metro stop I can in the AM (that will still let me be on time for work!) And I take a 1/2 hour-45 min walk around at lunch. I can't go too fast because I don't want to get all sweaty. But now that the cooler weather is coming that will be better.

NewBaku

NewBaku

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:09 PM

Count me in. I weighed in at 218.5 on Monday and want to be under 200 by Christmas. I'm roughly following the guidelines in the BL book, which suggests calculating my calorie intake by multiplying my weight by 7. That's approx. 1600, but will drop as I lose weight. I'm using FitDay.com as a food journal. I LOVE that site, because it tracks calories, nutrients, will give you all sorts of graphs and reports, has a place for journaling, etc. Great for those "I'm obsessed with my diet" moments.

Let's go for it!

bluebird1045

bluebird1045

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 5:17 AM

Count me in! I'm 5'1" and currently at 125lbs. My goal is to drop the last 10 lbs by my birthday (mid-December). So far, I've just been tracking my food intake by writing them in a journal. It's been working for me because it makes me so conscious of the foods that I eat. As for exercise, I love going to the gym - I go 3 or 4 times during the week (after work), then on weekends I run around our neighborhood for about an hour and a half. Watching this show keeps me motivated in the gym and it makes me push that much harder when I'm working out. I love watching the workout segments of the show because seeing the contestants push themselves beyond their limit, enduring all that pain inspires me to do the same when it's my turn to workout.

jj17

jj17

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:14 PM

ITA Bluebird.

I don't know why but I'm finding this season totally more motivating than other seasons. I don't know if it's my mindset but at exercise class I'm pushing myself more this year because of the show.

Crystal

Crystal

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

I am in!

I had a baby in June and would like to lose my baby weight and then some. My main goal is to be able to wear my pre-pregnancy clothes.

Also, my dad passed away in January from a heart attack. I would really like to change my eating habits to have better heart health. I love greasy, fried foods, and I'm an apple shape, which is not a good combination.

My other problem is that I would much rather be curled up in bed with a good book or tv show than work out. I've heard exercise releases enorphins, I've just not found them yet.

I am 5'9 and according to the guidelines posted previously, I am a small frame. I currently weigh 165 and am still wearing my maternity pants and tops most of the time. I would like to be back in my regular clothes (size 8 to 10) by December.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 8:25 AM

A year ago yesterday I weighed myself and decided I was going to lose weight. I weighed in at 203 pounds. I actually held off from starting for a few days because I had a colonoscopy scheduled and wanted to get that out of the way first. So yesterday I weighed myself and I was 145 pounds, so I lost 58 pounds in a year. When I started I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it or if I'd even lose any weight, or if I did, that I'd keep it off.

One thing Daniel said in the first episode has stayed in mind. He said something like "I'm happy now" or "now I can be happy. So I'd like to ask those of you who've lost weight if you are happier now. I have to say that I am, but it's not just because I've lost weight.