Trauma

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

202 replies to this topic

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:18 PM

Watching Derek Luke and Cliff Curtis are icing on the cake. Especially hearing Curtis with his native New Zealand accent.

Amen. When the promos first started running months ago, I was jazzed to see Cliff Curtis and immediately concerned that he would turn out to be a red shirt for the pilot. I hope this show sticks around, 'cause the world needs more Cliff Curtis.

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 5:32 PM

Watching Derek Luke and Cliff Curtis are icing on the cake. Especially hearing Curtis with his native New Zealand accent.

I liked Cliff Curtis, too, but I didn't hear a New Zealand accent. Maybe he just doesn't hide his original accent very well? I had the feeling he was going for a vague "tough guy" accent, which almost made him sound like he was from New York.

Not sure who, but apparently will know by the fifth ep. If it lasts that long.

If you want to spoil yourself, that information has already been revealed here. I'm personally rather meh on this development. I mean, yes, a show set in San Francisco should have at least one gay character, but he seemed kind of bland and uninteresting. I couldn't remember a single thing he said in the first episode. Of course, it's only the pilot. Maybe he won't be such a peripheral character as the series progresses.

That said, I think it's extremely unrealistic that this show has no Asian characters. San Francisco is 33% Asian. It's only 45% white. If they were going for realism, the show should have two white paramedics, two Asian paramedics, a Hispanic paramedic, and maybe a black paramedic. Oh, and the doctor at the hospital should have been Indian, not a middle-aged white guy. It bugs me that TPTB chose not to show the diversity of an incredibly diverse city.

I watched because I love seeing aerial views of San Francisco

Me, too. I'll probably stick with it just for that. I like to see places I'm familiar with. But if the quality of the show doesn't improve, I'll probably bail out eventually.

oceandeep

oceandeep

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 12:40 PM

and maybe a black paramedic.

Considering Oakland is across the bay, "maybe" should be "definitely" a black paramedic.

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

True, and there is a black paramedic. However, he's depicted as living in San Francisco, not Oakland. I still say that if they honestly wanted to portray the demographics of San Francisco, it would have made more sense to have swapped the black paramedic for a couple of Asian ones. San Francisco is only 7% black, while it is 33% Asian. If mean, that's only if TPTB had to choose. There's really no reason why they couldn't have had a cast full of Asian, Hispanic, and black characters to begin with. I'm sure there are plenty of talented actors who would have jumped at those roles.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 12:08 PM

I, too, watched for the S.F. scenery -- my son lives there and I did for one summer in 1969 (without dirty bare feet but slightly hippy oriented). But the aftermat of the sex in the rig (I thought maybe I was the only one who noticed that) and the lack of characterization and identification of the cast left me cold. It the blonde is suppose to be heartbroken she's got a very bland way of showing it. None of the characters were interesting except maybe the Latina pilot -- and I hated the mock Steve McQueen drive that ended in the guy losing a finger which seemed to be kind of played for laughs. Yuck. I probably won't watch this again unless there just isn't anything else on.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (duh). Pop culture in general. I'm a romance novelist (w/a Evelyn Vaughn) and a college English instructor. Other interests: cats, dogs, bicycling, secret societies (from a fictional standpoint), time-travel (not just from a fictional standpoint), the "reality" of characters and the importance of consistency and organic unity in all forms of fiction.

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 3:42 AM

Yep--the guy who was having sex in the ambulance ended up finishing things for himself, once the call came in. It didn't bother me so much, since it made sense from practical reasons, and they weren't on a call when they started using the bus as a rolling (well, parked) hotel room, but it didn't dop anything to make me like the characters. Especially the sexy-blonde-who-keeps-her-shirt-cut-low (sigh).

I really, really enjoyed the helicopter crash (it being fictional and all)--the special effects were really good, and I thought it made a lot more sense than anything on ER (the second version of Romano v. Helicopter was one of the straws-that-broke-the-me-ever-watching back, until the final 5 episodes brought me in). I was amazed, though not to the point of disbelief, that "Rabbit" survived, and can see how he'd be a) half believing he can't die, and b) bug-eyed crazy. He would've been my favorite character, until the Steve McQueen imitation and, yeah, the implication that that scene, down to the drunk guy losing a finger, was played for laughs.

Unfortunately, I didn't care about Nasty--er, I mean, Nancy. Seriously, that was what, a 15-car pile-up, and she was going all emo over ONE fatality? Not a good sign for someone doing that job. I didn't care about the guy who's cheating on his wife as a way of "dealing." I was surprised that, after the radio announcement of the 1-year anniversary of the helo crash, and its mention that there would be a memorial that afternoon/evening, none of our survivors was at the memorial. And I couldn't tell, at the end, if Nancy and Rabbit were a "thing" or if that was the first time she ended up at his place (I'm thinking the latter), nor did I care, except for the whole, sad, "Oh, she's one of those women who goes from man to man in the end, huh? The 70's Show Jackie of the group."

I didn't particularly care about any of the people except the kid who got throat-shot by shrapnel. As as others have mentioned, I doubt the show can keep paying for the big-impact disasters. But I'll give it another episode, because this was the pilot.

The pilot is never the final word.

sacreseries

sacreseries

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 12:02 PM

Wow, the pilot was quite boring for us.
Three good things... San Fransisco, some FN love with Herc and Buddy and Billy Lush that I really like in Generation kill (and who seems to not appear in the other episodes of Trauma).
Except for that, that wasn't good at all.

I found it really annoying that Reuben comes back just one year after the crash. Nancy and Cameron's characters weren't really interesting at all... and I still don't get the scene between Cameron and Reuben.

I'm pretty sur I won't watch it again.

There was a german tvshow called Medicopter that did this kind of stuff too.

Druck

Druck

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 11:05 AM

I didn't hate the pilot, but I wasn't going into it thinking it was going be the next great TV drama. Most TV dramas (before the advent of the L&O"character building? Eh. We'll get to it next season..." type shows) have a romantic element to it. Grey's Anatomy wasn't breaking new ground with what they did, it just was insanely popular, and now every drama since gets compared to it, which is a pain in the ass.

Shows have the right to shine, or suck ass based on their own merits without being compared to something rediculously popular/played out.

The idea that Rabbit survived that chopper crash is a bit nuts. They wrote themselves into a corner with that and just figured "Uh... maybe he just fell out of a spinning, and on fire, helicopter...". The chopper crash was not that far fetched, see the Hudson Crash from a couple of months ago, it does happen, as rare as it is.

My guess is that the pilot episode was written baseing the show in LA (hence the need for the medivacs) but somewhere from the written page to the screen it was moved from LA to SF, and nobody ever thought to ask if the medivac portion of the plot would still be relevant.

Someone upthread asked that more shows be based in SF. Jouneyman was based in San Franscisco, and used alot of local area history as a backdrop. Sadly it was cancelled after one season.

I really don't think Nancy's soon-to-be-really-fricken-dead partner was masturbating in the back of that Bus, I don't think that was what they intended with that scene. Maybe he was shaking "it" off, as you would, or taking off a condom, and it probably isn't even worth discussing, because the guy got 3 lines of dialog and then killed off.

The tanker explosion was pretty, but in a only on TV way. In reality the tanker would have been obliterated and every car within 100 feet would have pretty much been toast. But again, suspending reality by choice in the hopes of being entertained.

People like car crashes, and people like TV, so you'd think people would like tv shows about car crashes. We will see. After all people weren't watching CHiP's for the bitchin hair styles and the disco music.

newfoundma

newfoundma

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

Saw the second episode and still really into it. Never really watched a medical show, but I trust in the FNL creators. So far, I have been rewarded. I want a little more character and a little less emergency, but the show is definitely exciting.

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

I saw the second episode last night and remain unimpressed.

I don't watch any other primetime network dramas, so I don't know, but is the acting always so bad? It's like everyone is too earnest and melodramatic. The little boy with the mother in the coma was particularly painful.

The scene with the car crashing through the street fair just made me laugh. I mean, it was more the reactions of the people as the car came through that did it. All the screaming just seemed fake and over the top.

The opening scene, with the mother who hit her head on the counter, where was that supposed to be set? That wasn't filmed in San Francisco, was it? If it was, it didn't look like any part I've ever been. It looked like a really woodsy, rural area.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to spoiler-tag this information, but the gay character made more of an impression on me this time around. Of course, I still can't remember his name, but at least he had more to do last night. I'll be interested to see how his storyline develops.

The blonde paramedic, Nancy, annoys me. She just doesn't seem very likeable. I can't imagine caring what happens to her character, and I really don't care who she hooks up with. The way she unbuttons her shirt also seems unprofessional, although at least she was a little more covered up than during the premiere. Her beefcake partner was also distracting. I don't remember his name, but it seems like they just threw him in there for the eye-candy.

r2sims

r2sims

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

The scene with the car crashing through the street fair just made me laugh.

I must say that it was slightly better than the one like it on General Hospital a few weeks ago.

It's not bad enough to be offensive (so far) but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone tomorrow. I'll probably keep watching because I'm boycotting DWTS this season.

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 2:22 PM

Pretty bland for what should be an exciting show. I will damn this with faint praise by saying I liked it much better than Three Rivers. Just goes to show how baaaad that one is. Definetly DOA.

The trauma guy drives for hours instead of going home since the big heli explosion. I got the sense that his wife accused him of being unfaithful before he was. Instead he was so messed up that he couldn't not take it home and he was always late, whereas before the explosion he went home immediately at the end of his shift. He couldn't explain this to his wife, so she was sure he had an affair.

Both the blonde chick and Rabbit (Robert) (everyone pronounced his name differently) had such attitude and entitlement issues, it's a wonder anyone would work with them. Maybe it's time to consider therapy or a new job instead of flipping out over a death or driving like a maniac, resulting in a finger being chopped off. Rabbit acted like it was no big deal. Please!

I'm going to give this more time, since ll haven't watched the second show, but the posts seem to indicate it will be same old, same old.

Tryp

Tryp

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 7:03 PM

I also watched primarily because of the San Francisco location. Not very impressed, it appears to be afflicted with the TV plotting belief that characters need to have outsized personalities/ problems to be interesting. However, I have decided that I could watch Taylor Kinney look concerned and out of his depth for hours, so I will probably tune in again.

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 10:26 PM

I tuned in again last night but didn't see the improvement I was hoping for. I usually give shows 3-4 episodes but the ratings took such a huge dive that I doubt NBC sticks with it for long.

kimaken

kimaken

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2009 @ 1:24 PM

For me, the weak link is Nancy, and that's because our first real introduction to her character was the "sex in the squad" scene! I think that scene would have been more palatable if we'd had a chance to get to know Nancy and the guy (don't know his name and since he was killed off shortly afterwards, I don't really care about him) as serious, professional paramedics BEFORE they got into the sex scene, but instead, my first impression of Nancy was "skank", "slut", "floozy".... After that, I just couldn't see her as being a professional paramedic--that along with the unbuttoned shirt, and her comments about the pool on how long before she sleeps with the new guy left me totally unsympathetic with the character.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 5:07 PM

After that, I just couldn't see her as being a professional paramedic--that along with the unbuttoned shirt, and her comments about the pool on how long before she sleeps with the new guy left me totally unsympathetic with the character.

But her partner guy IS hot! j/k ITA, I think that it was a mistake to introduce her like that. There's not much depth to her and since she's the only female paramedic (besides that helicopter pilot) I was annoyed. She's overly emotional, skanky-- pretty much every negative stereotype of women they could fit in there. Also, she's been paired with a newbie so we don't even get to see her as a 'kick-ass paramedic' just that her partner is incompetent. Even so, can't bring myself to dislike the character.

My least favorite character right now is the black paramedic. I generally hate characters that are cheaters and his reasoning... just didn't make any sense. He didn't have anyone to talk to? Dude. You work at a HOSPITAL. As in I'm sure there were counselors and psychologists a-plenty after the accident and even now if he wanted.

A main reason I continue to watch is to see scenes of SF, lol so good call on that whoever set it there.

But to be fair to show, I'm starting to really like Rabbit. I wasn't sure during the pilot but now it's official. Though I know that was the point, the scene with him and the kid was adorable. I wish the character was on a different show.

devans00

devans00

Fanatic

• Interests:Calligraphy, chocolate, movies, Art Deco, internet message boards, reality TV, graphic novels &; comix and being a do gooder and my dog Culo.

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 1:42 AM

The helicopter pilot chick was booking on Embarcadero. With all the tourists, dogs being walked, buskers and what not usually on that sidewalk, I've never seen anyone run that hard, that long on the wharves near the bay bridge.

I'm hella freaked out by the bugging eyes though. Trauma is starting out like CSI Las Vegas did. Cram every show with as much weird, outlandish stuff as soon as possible. As if they have no faith the show will last so they gotta get it all in.

Derek Luke's character Cameron, aka the Black paramedic, is starting to annoy. Just like with Nancy, aka the slutty, skanky paramedic, we were introduced to the worst of his character without getting a chance to know and like him first. After nailing anything in a skirt he's so concerned about his wife's well being?

I have no problems disliking the Nancy character. Smooching Rabbit in the bar, without his consent, just sealed the deal. I hope he had some Listerine in the car to decontaminate himself after being macked by that walking vat of germs. I suppose Nancy is some male writer's wet dream of a co-worker but she comes off as icky and an embarasment to some women.

Edited by devans00, Oct 13, 2009 @ 1:46 AM.

mandelbrot

mandelbrot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 8:32 AM

The show entertains me for an hour, which is all I really want or care about, although if it were the most intellectually/philosophically stimulating show on earth that would be ok too. I didn't understand about the eyes until someone talked about it to helicopter girl. Hate whiny divorce wife, please divorce her and make her go 'way. She's just a drag in an otherwise decent show.

mcree

mcree

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 4:57 PM

Were we supposed to recognize the guy at the beginning with the boat, or is that a new character? Will we see him again, or is he just Nancy's hookup of the week?

By wearing the guy's shirt, she gets to have it unbuttoned all the way down. Disappointed that she was wearing a bra -- if only this was a 10pm show. Damn you, Leno!

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 6:23 PM

Were we supposed to recognize the guy at the beginning with the boat, or is that a new character

I was wondering about that because it was Matthew Del Negro who used to play Bram on The West Wing and I liked him even though it was a tiny part. I mean he hasn't been on before but I hope he shows up again. Are they showing the eps in order?

Edited by biakbiak, Oct 13, 2009 @ 6:25 PM.

Impish Dragon

Impish Dragon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

The show seems to focus alot on the blond, but I can't bring myself to like her. Or take her seriously. Usually I'm watching a scene (like the fair or the hostage situation) and the male lead is taking charge and I'm wondering why the female lead is incapable of being in charge. In this show, I'm watching her take charge of triage and wishing it was someone else.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

I suppose Nancy is some male writer's wet dream of a co-worker but she comes off as icky and an embarasment to some women.

Well, usually there's a hot man who is the lady-killer who sleeps with whatever woman takes his fancy on a TV series...McSteamy on Grey's Anatomy, George Clooney on ER, Don Draper on Mad Men, etc.

I guess they decided to change it up and make it a woman who is the indiscriminate sexpot into casual sex.

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 2:57 PM

I missed the opening segment Monday but saw it last night--eeeww on the eyeball thing, but I did appreciate the googly eye glasses Rabbit wore later. It takes away (most of) the nightmare. I know the city is bending over backwards to accomodate and encourage the in-town production, but I wonder how much communication is going on in re storylines? The 'big trauma of the week' was hard to watch, as the memories of the 101 California shootings, though 15 years old, are still painful for a lot of people in the Bay Area.

Edited by MyLisa, Oct 18, 2009 @ 3:10 PM.

alecswombat

alecswombat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 3:07 PM

I don't really get why Nancy being the lothario (lotharia?) is a problem or a reason to dislike her. McSteamy over on Grey's Anatomy sleeps around, too, but lots of viewers seem to like him. Personally, I have no opinion about Nancy; I will wait and see how she develops. I like what I have seen so far of her relationship with Rabbit, as it has the potential to be complex.

Rabbit is obviously my favorite since he's played by the yummy Cliff Curtis! WOO Curtis! That man has so much star potential, it's crazy.

I am very pleased at how there are so many people from across the pond in starring roles on US TV this season (see FlashForward with 4-5 non Yanks! woohoo, Davenport, Fiennes, Monaghan, Walger, and O'Byrne), and it's nice to see a Kiwi, but I would love to have him use his real accent, which is lovely. To be honest, I think all the characters have potential, but I could have done without Jamey Sheridan who I have never really liked.

As far as the diversity issue, I think it's a lot more than we have on other shows, thank god! Not being from San Francisco, of course I did not pick up on the show's demographics being so skewed, but I think shows are never really demographically realistic: it would be nice if instead the shows had only one token white person, and the rest was a nice mix of other religions and races. My fantasy and if I ever rule the TV world -- there we go! :)

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:39 PM

I want to like this show so I keep watching. The show is too superficial. I like the Rabbit character a lot. He is the best of the lot. I don't mind Nancy sleeping around. I don't like that the actress is weak and cast for her looks with no regard for her lack of talent.

SugarcultAddict

SugarcultAddict

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 10:05 PM

This kind of reminds me of the Japanese drama Code Blue. There was also an Aussie drama Adrenaline Junkies as it was called here that focused on the same theme as well.

I haven't watched before tonight, but I feel like I haven't missed much.

Rabbit could probably be a show all his own, and it would probably rock.

varcinie

varcinie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 10:20 PM

This show confuses me. I like Boone and Tyler and think all their storylines are great. I like the fact that all the paramedics have more than one case per show and there's no heavy-handed linking the cases to the life stuff going on with the paramedics. I like Rabbit most of the time, Nancy some of the time (when she's not being Dark and Conflicted and An Awesome Surgeon in the Making, or screaming), and Marisa and Rabbit's relationship is sweet in a kind of brother/sister way, and Marisa's phone calls with her mother usually make me smile.

But...all these little things I like don't add up to a show I watch for any other reason than it's on after Heroes and I'm too lazy to change the channel.

sobell

sobell

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

This show is sort of like a live-action version of The Itchy and Scratchy Show, what with crazy accidents constantly happening. I have it on my Hulu queue because it's a useful distraction while I'm doing boring work, but wow, is it bad.

Also, as someone who lives in the SF area and works off Embarcadero, it's funny when the writers biff the landmarks. And I'm with prior posters: where are the Latino and Asian paramedics?

Edited by sobell, Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:30 PM.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 11:14 AM

I like the show. We need a little more background on some of the characters but it would really be a shame if this show is not given a chance and is cancelled. It is not to far off what it's lead in is getting yet there is no talk of cancelling Heroes, a show I stopped watching midway through season 2.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 1:35 PM

I like the show. We need a little more background on some of the characters but it would really be a shame if this show is not given a chance and is cancelled. It is not to far off what it's lead in is getting yet there is no talk of cancelling Heroes, a show I stopped watching midway through season 2.

Mikita, you're much stronger than I; I only made it midway through EPISODE 2 of Heroes. If I'm reading the numbers correctly, there is about a 25% drop-off from one to the other. Also Heroes started this season with 59 episodes, just short of the 66-88 episode target needed to enter syndication, which pretty much immunizes that show for the season. And the price tag is probably pretty high between the helicopter, ambulance scenes with blocked traffic/closed-off streets and the majority of the show being location shots.