Beauty And The Geek (Australia): Is She Really Going Out With Him...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

46 replies to this topic

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

...and are Seven going to put this on in a decent timeslot, as opposed to the American version? All their ads say it starts next Thursday, but they still haven't revealed the actual timeslot.

Since it really can't be said enough at the moment, Shut up, Wes Carr.

I'm calling it right now, this will join Double Take and Australia's Perfect Couple as one of the Biggest Aussie TV Failures of 2009.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:40 PM

Huh. Well, now we all know what's happened to the women who weren't able to audition for Big Brother once it got cancelled, I guess.

Edited because I forgot this wasn't The Apprentice's thread.

Edited by katisha66, Sep 27, 2009 @ 3:38 AM.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:52 PM

Oh, and good call re its longevity, raceguy, though the prize of a job offering 200 grand a year is certainly not to be sneezed at.

Thanks, but the show with the $200K a year prize is The Apprentice Australia (which will probably also fail, but at least I'm hopeful about that. This? Can die whenever it wants.)

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 2:27 AM

are Seven going to put this on in a decent timeslot, as opposed to the American version? All their ads say it starts next Thursday, but they still haven't revealed the actual timeslot

8:30pm October 8, followed by The Amazing Race.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 3:35 AM

Oh dear! My bad! *blush* Never mind me - I am clearly senile. I still agree, though, that this show will consigned to the rubbish heap after this season.

Edited by katisha66, Sep 27, 2009 @ 3:37 AM.

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 3:54 AM

I predict that 2 weeks after premiering it will swap places with The Amazing Race. Or I at least want that to be the case as I prefer my TAR to be on before 9.30pm

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 6:33 PM

Actually, I sort of hope they don't. Seven's treatment of TAR has been horrendous -- between airing the seasons out of order, repeatedly shunting it around the schedule to fill in blanks, the random two-part episodes, and not even showing TAR7's clip show, I'd kind of like to see the season stay in one timeslot, and air in time with the US. It's probably not going to happen, because TAR15's starting with a two-hour episode in the US, and I can't see Seven keeping the two episodes together, but it'd be nice to hope.

Topic: Shut up, commercials.

CTarnak

CTarnak

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 6:52 PM

They are clearly trying to make this look like a dating show, when, if it's modelled after the US version, it's definitely not. Even the Wes Carr song makes no sense in the context of what the show is actually about.

I don't know whether they think it will attract more viewers that way, but I find the idea of "Beauties and Geeks working together to capitalise on each other's strengths in challenges" a lot more appealing than a freak-tastic dating show.

bluezombie2

bluezombie2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 8:17 AM

I'm going to watch, because I love the American version, but the marketing for our version is off-putting. They definitely seem to be trying to paint it as a dating show, which is idiotic, because it very well might put off people who would be interested in the real premise, and yeah, they might lure in some dating-reality fans, but once they put the show on, they'll figure out it's not actually that. Because all the press I've read about this makes it sound like it IS modelled after the US version.

Maybe there are just a lot of hook-ups.

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 7:26 AM

I'm disappointed as I'd seen both those challenges (done better) on the American version. The preview of the massages makes me fear all the challenges will be recycled (but only in Australia will we get "youse aren't geeks" so maybe there's hope).

If 'hard' is the look they were going for, those girls got it right.

I hate horseface girl who thinks she's gorgeous and the chubby guy looks like he'd be the president of the Young Liberal Party. The rest of the geeks seem likable and Miss Congeniality is the pick of the beauties.

ETA: a dinner date with Kochie considered a prize?

Edited by cousin oliver, Oct 8, 2009 @ 7:32 AM.

twilight_111

twilight_111

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 10:03 AM

Cousin Oliver, the chubby guy (Toby Latcham) was totally on the liberal club at my uni(UQ), where he may well have been president but for the fact that he was too disliked. My best friend and I had him forced into our group for a project where he proceeded to write one sentence out of 5000 words. For anyone that's interested, his three degrees are law, commerce and journalism. (In a bitchy aside, he does law at QUT because he didn't get into law at UQ, which in my view should disqualify him from geekdom). He spent much of our group meetings talking about how good capitalism has been for the developing world. The assignment, a journalism one had nothing to do with it.

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

Thanks for the confirmation, twilight_111 - those doughy rightwingers are easy to spot. Pity he's teamed with Jenna, who seems OK so far.

bluezombie2

bluezombie2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 5:31 AM

I missed it last night, but have since been able to watch it, and I didn't mind it.

I agree that we will be getting completely recycled challenges by the looks of things. The two from the first episode, and as well as the previews showing the massages next week, they also show the guys wearing the internal organ suits, so I'm assuming that's also a carbon copy of the American Season four challenge for the beauties.

And the preview also seems to give away who wins the challenges. I believe I saw Emma running up to congratulate Corin outside, which would be the massage winner, and for the 'youse aren't geeks' portion, that was obviously said when nominating. Alongside them for that seemed to be Peter and whatever his partner's name is. AND they also had the shot of beauties walking along to what looked like a challenge, and there were only seven of them. If I knew the beauties better (it's at a distance) I could pick who was missing, and therefore who goes next week.

I hate horseface girl who thinks she's gorgeous

Is this Kimberley? The one who said that being back at school reminded her of how jealous of her everyone was? Because if so, I totally agree that she is NOT a beauty, and that she is a hateable bitch. There was nothing remotely likeable about her at all, and I'd say she's shaping up early as the villain. Which is a shame, as her partner Nathan is my favourite geek so far. Emma would be my favourite of the beauties (she's Miss Congeniality for those who aren't yet sure on names, I've only remembered a few.)

Corin seems to be an early producer favourite, being picked first to perform for the beauties, and receiving a lot of screentime. I'd say he sticks around a while.

ABristol

ABristol

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 10:46 PM

Deleted.

Edited by ABristol, Nov 11, 2009 @ 3:00 AM.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 6:34 AM

I watched this show tonight after never having watched any previous version of it anywhere else, and...I kind of liked it. I think it might be because I have quite a weakness for brainy geeky guys and I really liked some of them. I have no idea who's who because I was only half-watching, but it was also endearing when some of the girls got such a kick out of getting questions right. Who'd-a-thunk, huh?

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 7:54 AM

I hated the American series but I enjoy the Aussie version. (I know, right?)

I'm really pleased about the couple who were eliminated. I liked the Asian guy (Alan?) and thought he was rather endearing in his awkward way, so I thought it was unfortunate he had to be paired with the spiteful bitch he got stuck with. Kate was so boring and unlikable, good riddance.

Kimberley, while the least attractive of the girls IMO (in all seriousness, she is more manly than all the geeks in the house combined) grew on me this episode. I think if there's anything to be gained out of this show, it's to look beyond the exterior and appreciate what's underneath. She was nowhere near as bitchy or stuck up as I anticipated her to be after the last episode. She has my seal of approval, along with Emma, Michelle, Jenna and Lisa.

Also, I'm just going to put this out there: Nathan? Totally has the potential to be majorly cute. I have the feeling that if you get rid of the glasses and fix the hair, he could be rather attractive.

Toby, great to see you here, and welcome to the boards! Hopefully you can share some behind the scenes enlightenment with us as the series progresses.

ABristol

ABristol

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:43 AM

Deleted.

Edited by ABristol, Nov 11, 2009 @ 3:02 AM.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 2:58 AM

The Aged will whine about anything these days, though. The SMH? I'm more surprised by that one. That said, though, it does seem a little weird that Seven's joining the "uplifting television" bandwagon with what was edited (at least the first episode) as an hour of "I can't believe they said that! They are so dumb/geeky! [delete as appropriate]" remarks.

(That's right - Matt Preston isn't the only one who can wear a cravat on reality TV)

Hee!

Last night: Male models? Mmmmmmm. I'll be in my bunk.

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 11:43 PM

Another week where the elimination was a foregone conclusion due to one team getting far more facetime in the episode than their Elimination Room competitors.

Were we meant to care about the Kimberley/Jenna feud? A little backstory would've helped. At least Kimberley learned not to pick on nerds (other chicks are a different thing, apparently). It's a shame that Nathan went; I suspect he would've scrubbed up nicely in the makeover episode.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 11:57 PM

It's a shame that Nathan went; I suspect he would've scrubbed up nicely in the makeover episode.

Oh, yes. Nathan's definitely the closest thing to a hot geek we had this season.

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 7:34 AM

Yeah I'm bummed Nathan left, he was easily the hottest guy on the show. I wasn't surprised at all that the girls on the speed date were extra friendly with him, in fact for a moment there I thought he was going to win it for his team just because a couple of the girls seemed so keen on him. Kimberley I was pretty impartial to, I hated her the first episode but she grew on me last week.

The Kim/Jenna fued did seem to come out nowhere though, didn't it? I don't remember seeing or hearing anything to indicate animosity between the two up until this episode. Way to suck at your job, editors.

Next week's previews seem to indicate a romance brewing between two contestants; my money is on Corin and Emma.

bluezombie2

bluezombie2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2009 @ 7:54 AM

Hmmm, Page 3 and not one comment yet on the episode that aired four nights ago? Interesting. Or not clearly.

I had a busy fortnight, and had to catch up via the website on the last two episodes. I was bummed that Nathan left, and also a bit disappointed for Elise and Paul, but there isn't really anyone unlikeable so it's always going to be hard to see people go.

In the latest episode Toby has actually emerged as my favourite geek, I'm really enjoying his dry, sarcastic sense of humour. He got me laughing out loud on quite a few occasions. I am actually starting to wonder a bit about Jenna, she seems like she could be quite bitchy. Emma is probably my favourite of the beauties, but there is something very endearing about Michelle too.

I've been enjoying the show anyway, it's probably not as good as the American version, but hopefully we get another season and it can improve. And get some original challenges!

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2009 @ 3:40 PM

During last night's episode I found myself wanting to throw my remote at the television in frustration. Could this Erin/Corin plotline be any more scripted? Their date was the most wooden and uncomfortable thing ever. They did a better job on the Home and Away set. And the "Surprise! Pick a date that's NOT your partner!" was the most eye-rollingly obvious set up I've seen on a television show yet.

I find all the geeks endearing. Particularly Toby and Peter, they make me giggle quite a lot. I wouldn't mind if either of those boys won.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2009 @ 6:36 PM

Toby is hilaaaarious. "I've got myself a 'punk rocker' haircut. Or a 'Wow, Zac Efron has really let himself go!' haircut." BWAH!

Meanwhile, I'm freaked out by how much Xenogene, by far my least favourite geek at the moment, now looks like one of my ex-boyfriends.

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2009 @ 7:27 PM

My favourite moment was the male stylist's shock at having to explain to Xenogene what a belt was for. I also enjoyed X's suggestion that Hadassah was incredibly superficial for being so moved by a haircut and a change of clothes. Way to stomp on the episode's big emotional moment, X.

Those were some crappy makeovers - Xenogene and Toby are now ready to start a Flock Of Seagulls cover band, Jeremy's orange tan was a big mistake for a redhead and Corin didn't change a bit (except for losing his prop glasses). Peter was the clear winner.

My advice to "aspiring actress" Lisa: don't give up your day job.

Boojum

Boojum

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2009 @ 7:40 PM

Oh, Jeremy's fake tan and that stupid hat was just made of fail. I agree, Peter got the most out of the makeover. After he came through the door I expected all the geeks to look that different and that much better, but the rest... well, Corin looks the same mostly.

Xenogene needs different glasses. The ones he has now really chub up his face. Also was he trying to put on a Russian accent during the H&A challenge? Transylvanian? I was laughing so hard.

This was awesome.
Bernard: You will each be going on a date with someone other than your partner.
Michelle: It's so twisted! It like confuses my head!

I used to not be a big fan of Toby, but he had many excellent one-liners last night. The salsa thing was hilarious.

Silmarien

Silmarien

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2009 @ 9:03 PM

I admit sitting on the couch covering up my gaping mouth when Xenegene came out. And in a good way! Jeremy's new orange colour should do him well if picking up Oompa Loompas is a new task.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 5:28 AM

I absolutely HATED the hairstyles they gave Toby and Xenogene. Thought they looked absolutely ridiculous. The rest of the makeovers to me were meh except for Peter's who looked awesome imo.

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 10:03 AM

Consider me totally bummed that Toby is gone. He was my favourite geek along with Peter. I wasn't too fond of Jenna but I would have much rather seen them stay over Jeremy and Emma - I am just SO SICK of this Emma/Corin/Whoever-else storyline. It seems so staged and forced to me.

Line of the episode goes to Toby: "I've been told by a lot of people that I have a voice made for radio... and by a few others that I have a face made for it." Hee!

I hope all is going well for you post-show, Toby. You were incredibly entertaining and I'm not looking forward to watching the show next week without your self-deprecating humour (that, unlike some of the other geeks, is actually humourous) keeping me amused.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

Consider me totally bummed that Toby is gone. He was my favourite geek along with Peter. I wasn't too fond of Jenna but I would have much rather seen them stay over Jeremy and Emma - I am just SO SICK of this Emma/Corin/Whoever-else storyline. It seems so staged and forced to me.

Toby's gone? Crap. I'm out, then.

Emma and Corin are, frankly, a match made in Chernobyl.