Left at the Altar: Soaps' Unpopular Opinions

• Please log in to reply

4371 replies to this topic

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I'll be frank:

The only reason why I give two shits about General Hospital in any way, shape, or form is because of the so-called One Life to Live "invasion". Had Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini not had come up with the brilliant move of bringing some of my favorite OLTL characters to GH to continue the story that was abruptly cut short when it was cancelled (while GH inexplicably hasn't been), I surely wouldn't be setting my DVR to this show and watching the 15-20 minutes of OLTLer interaction every weekday.

Am I thrilled that Blair isn't returning and that Yellgado will be coming on (albeit, for a short stint)? Absolutely not, but I'd choose watching a Blair-less and Tea-centric General Hospital than the show that Guza browbeat into being way overdue for cancellation. Needless to say, if Todd, Starr, and John were to leave, my viewership will be leaving with them.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

The only reason why I give two shits about General Hospital in any way, shape, or form is because of the so-called One Life to Live "invasion".

And I feel exactly the opposite. Like I posted in the GH thread:

I DO.NOT.GIVE.A.SHIT. about any of these characters coming onto this show. They had a show; it was called One Life to Live. Sadly and unfortunately, it was cancelled.

If the current showrunner/headwriter, wanted to continue to write for these characters, they should have found another venue to do when Prospect whatever, fell through.

I want them to concentrate on General Hospital characters--the stories that are already on canvas; to fix, if they can, the clusterfuck that Guza and Wolf left behind.

The jaded and cynical side of me wonder what the new showrunners were promised: to be able to turn General Hospital into One Life to Live?

Yes, it's not many characters crossing over, but for the past few pages, there's been nothing but talk about Tea, who I don't know and don't give a flying fuck about.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Luckily for me and other viewers who share the same outlook, we are getting the proper closure that was denied to us when ABC decided to cancel the superior soap(s) and keep the inferior one. Cartini gets their share of (sometimes warranted) backlash, but they made the correct decision in appealing to the One Life to Live fans that were left out in the cold.

I only wish that AMC viewers had received the same opportunity, as that soap truly got the short end of the stick, in my opinion.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Luckily for me and other viewers who share the same outlook, we are getting the proper closure that was denied to us when ABC decided to cancel the superior soap(s) and keep the inferior one.

Wonderful. But there is a portion that never watched OLTL. If I had wanted to when it was on, I would have. But to turn ANOTHER soap that once had its own identity (HAD because RC/FV have tossed GH staff for OLTL, quelle surprise!) into said cancelled soap is unfair to those who are unfamiliar and don't care to see it.

OLTL - for better or worse - had its ending. And it should not be the obligation of another soap to right the wrongs of any of the endings when the characters on the remaining soap are left to warm the bench and get no ending at all so pets can be showcased.

I could understand if this invasion was bringing in ratings through the roof, but it isn't. If anything, ratings went up when Robert - a GH character - came back and the week Robin's funeral was promoted - and then sank once more.

herefornow

herefornow

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

OLTL was never a superior soap. GH and AMC always were more popular of the ABC soaps. I was not a a big OLTL fan and bring over the people who got the show cancelled was not a good move.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

Wonderful. But there is a portion that never watched OLTL. If I had wanted to when it was on, I would have. But to turn ANOTHER soap that once had its own identity (HAD because RC/FV have tossed GH staff for OLTL, quelle surprise!) into said cancelled soap is unfair to those who are unfamiliar and don't care to see it.

OLTL - for better or worse - had its ending. And it should not be the obligation of another soap to right the wrongs of any of the endings when the characters on the remaining soap are left to warm the bench and get no ending at all so pets can be showcased.

I could understand if this invasion was bringing in ratings through the roof, but it isn't. If anything, ratings went up when Robert - a GH character - came back and the week Robin's funeral was promoted - and then sank once more.

Not as unfair as it was for ABC to cancel a superior soap in favor for their overinflated pet - General Hospital, in my opinion. If this were a case where GH was doing fine on its own, then I would be more inclined to understand that point of view. Since it isn't and hasn't been anywhere near worth its airtime since the late 1990s, in my opinion, then I can't muster up any concern and refuse to wring my hands over the so-called One Life to Live invasion.

Until ABC Disney, Frank Valentini, and Ron Carlivati decide that the OLTL characters are no longer needed on the GH canvas, I will continue to enjoy them while enjoying the writing/production value that has been far more tolerable since Guza/JFP was fired. That's pretty much the long and short of my thoughts on this.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Why they get hailed as the best in soaps, I have no idea.

I think from a practical standpoint, Frank probably is one of the best EPs in soaps. He consistently brought OLTL in under budget without losing too much in production values, and he seems to be bringing that efficiency and organization to GH, which badly needs it.

herefornow

herefornow

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I think from a practical standpoint, Frank probably is one of the best EPs in soaps. He consistently brought OLTL in under budget without losing too much in production values, and he seems to be bringing that efficiency and organization to GH, which badly needs it.

Being under budget does not make him a good EP and the production right now on GH is crap from the music to the the editing with those horrible cut away scenes that strip the emotion out of the show. I think the best production is B&B which has great editing and use of location, it's the content as far as storyline that needs work.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

I don't think the idea of bringing people over from OLTL is necessarily bad, but I think the execution has been shockingly poor. The only one who has worked out so far has been McBain, mostly because they have tried to make him a big hero from his very first scene, and Jason and Sonny are so empty that anything looks better by default.

RC's main flaw as a writer, aside from not being able to pace or finish a storyline, is his lack of interest in writing friends or family. That has been a problem for GH for years but I'm still amazed that they have had Anna ignore her grieving grandchild because it's just more cool to have her watch McBain do his Sphinx impression.

Edited by steve91199, Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:02 PM.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

I'm annoyed that Finola Hughes is now on contract....Christ, I thought Vampira would have left after the funeral of her wee daughter. Now Emma Samms? She should return and be rightfully be paired with Tristan Rogers STAT.

tam1MI

tam1MI

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

I don't think the idea of bringing people over from OLTL is necessarily bad, but I think the execution has been shockingly poor.

I agree 100%.

I also think the timing of the introduction of the Mannings to the canvas was horrible. I highly doubt the stiff resistance these characters met from GH fans would have happened if TIIC had waited even three weeks (to let the Death of Robin Scorpio story play out) to bring them on. That, and presenting their introductory story in small, easily digestible pieces instaed of one big show-swallowing gulp would have done wonders.

The only one who has worked out so far has been McBain, mostly because they have tried to make him a big hero from his very first scene, and Jason and Sonny are so empty that anything looks better by default.

But I disagree here. I think McBain is going over better because rather than having him blow into town and eat the show alive, the writers are taking care to establish him on the canvas while other stories play out. Say what you will about the dead sister retcon for him, at least it is an attempt (however clumsy) to give him some backstory to tie him in to the rest of the show. He's being established as part of particular plotlines, not the entirety of them. And that, as the poet says, has made all the difference.

Edited by tam1MI, Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:34 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

But I disagree here. I think McBain is going over better because rather than having him blow into town and eat the show alive, the writers are taking care to establish him on the canvas while other stories play out. Say what you will about the dead sister retcon for him, at least it is an attempt (however clumsy) to give him some backstory to tie him in to the rest of the show. He's being established as part of particular plotlines, not the entirety of them. And that, as the poet says, has made all the difference.

I think they have done this with all the OLTL arrivals - Starr and Todd are part of Sonny's story, as is John. I just think John mostly hovering around Sam and Anna, instead of yelling at Sonny, makes him less offputting. I think they've been very heavy-handed with it, but the show is so hollow now that there really is nothing else to wish you were seeing. Still, it's sad that Anna shuns her granddaughter but weeps with this cipher.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

I think this will prove to be extremely unpopular, but I know you will be gentle with me.

I have never, ever gotten the overwhelming appeal of Roscoe Born. I don't find him 'hot' or even attractive, and I think that he's an ok actor, but not that great. He tends to play the same kinds of characters, using that same gelatinous 'smoothness' that seems to make most of the rest of the world swoon.

To be even more unpopular, Richard Muenz was, by far, my favorite Joe Novak on RH.

SiouxBee39

SiouxBee39

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I have never, ever gotten the overwhelming appeal of Roscoe Born. I don't find him 'hot' or even attractive, and I think that he's an ok actor, but not that great. He tends to play the same kinds of characters, using that same gelatinous 'smoothness' that seems to make most of the rest of the world swoon.

Not unpopular with me. I find him creepy and repulsive.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

I reserve the right to change these opinions at one point or another--there's a lot more of OLTL (and of other soaps, for that matter) that I have yet to see!

I don't know how many other people would say this--I've heard Viki, Dorian, Tina, Megan, Blair, Tea, Natalie Evangeline, and countless other women called their absolute favorite OLTL female character--but MY absolute favorite female character on OLTL was one Gabrielle Medina Holden Holden Buchanan--the greatest British-Argentinean antiheroine EVER! ;) Blair, of course, is the greatest Asian turned Southern antiheroine ever :P.

Until everything that happened to Todd & Blair on GH, I thought Max & Gabrielle (my favorite couple on the show, with T&B close behind them) were the most ill treated OLTL supercouple ever (and OLTL didn't have many true blue supercouples compared to say, GH or DAYS, so that's saying something). Actually, even given some of what's happened to T&B, at least both of them are still alive--poor Gabrielle is in Heaven as far as the show is concerned :( .

For all the returns from the dead that have happened ad nauseum over the years, I would have gladly eaten crow if Gabrielle and Al were somehow brought back to life at the end. I would have never needed anyone else to return from the dead again after that.

I don't think KA is a bad actress. She's had a few shrieking moments on GH that reminded me too much of her onscreen stepmom, but I still like her a lot.

That being said, regarding Starr: I wish she had kept more of her edge. This is TODD & BLAIR'S daughter, for God's sake! When the Ghost of Luna Moody is proclaiming her a "good girl" from Heaven, something has gone HORRIBLY wrong.

I have a weakness for female friendships on soaps, even among characters I don't necessarily like or care about (for the most part, anyway). Examples: Luna & Marty on OLTL, and Rama & Aubrey from the same show.

No matter how much more I see of her, it may be very difficult for me to ever completely shake my irrational hatred of Luna Moody (via the OLTL coffee table book called her "the one" for Max--I read that before I had seen her on the show, and that, coupled with most of the town's attitude of how lucky they were to have her, drove me crazy as a 12-13 year old reading that book. Yeah, I know, I need help. LOL). Max belonged with Gabrielle, damn it! If only there had been a Gabrielle/Max/Luna triangle. That would have settled things forever. That being said, I have had moments watching her on YouTube where I'm almost okay with her. And her death scenes make me want to cry...tears of joy.

No matter how much good Michael Malone did for OLTL, I don't know if I could ever look past how he killed off Gabrielle. It was so disgusting and such an insult to her character. As if her life hadn't been tragic enough already. I know he wasn't big on presumed deaths (which can be a blessing) but still, killing her off and keeping his beloved Luna's GHOST around? UGH.

Edited by UseYourIllusion, Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:49 AM.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I'm over the whining about reality TV killing the soaps, the latest example being courtesy of Eric Braeden.

Reality television didn't kill jack, as the soaps have been committing a slow suicide with their crappy and outdated writing for years.

There were plenty of chances to turn that ship around, but the HWs/EPs refused to join the 21st century like the rest of the world has while 'journalists' opted to kiss network ass instead of calling them the hell out when they should have.

Furthermore, as downright trifling as reality TV can get, it is willing to go where soaps are not and refuse to. Case in point - fighting. Back in the day, I tuned in to soaps to see some great catfights because I knew that they had no problem serving it up to viewers who tuned to see character A get their comeuppance or character B finally fight back. Nowadays, soap fights have become whittled down to anemic slaps once in a blue moon while reality TV has gone above and beyond to showcase great beatdowns. A crass assessment? Perhaps, but soaps' unwillingness to go there (especially when they had no problem going there back in the day) is one reason why some have turned to reality TV for that catharsis.

Edited by yearoftheroostr, Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:02 PM.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

it is willing to go where soaps are not and refuse to

Well I'm not sure I care much about fighting, but your larger point is definitely a valid one. All of these shows are in trouble and yet continue to be so timid - too afraid to just go for it.

I hated a lot of the Gloria Monty stuff on GH (weather machines and so forth) but at least she had a vision and had the balls to follow through with it. You know?

Guiding Light was cancelled and someone (be it the show runners or the network) was still afraid to let Olivia and Natalia share a kiss! I mean really? What did it matter at that point - just go for it!

I'm tired of the wishy washy couples - no one is in love with just one person. I'm tired of the constant rebooting. I'm tired of plot driven storylines rather than character driven.

onimos

onimos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Reality television didn't kill jack, as the soaps have been committing a slow suicide with their crappy and outdated writing for years.

Yes. Yes. and Yes. And I'll go a step further and say that reality tv (in some very limited cases) is giving fans what they want over the top, real life drama. What the soaps used to do well.

UO1: I have not been able to tolerate OLTL since they made Todd some sort of romantic hero, probably around the time Roger H. first left. I could tolerate Todd the rapist and Todd the overall bit of damaged goods that loved his little girl but he will always, ALWAYS, be a gang-raping A-hole who has done nothing worth of redemption to me.

UO2: I haven't given a hot crap about GH since LL1. Heck, since they killed of Dawn and got rid of Decker. Sonny.Ate.That.Show. And it wasn't good for the rest of us.

UO3: The only Carly who *got* Carly was the first Carly. Carly, in my mind, was never supposed to be likeable or a heroine. She was supposed to be the spoiler to the true Heroine BOBBI.

UO4: Even though I can't stand GH I actively seek out snippets of John McBain and Sam McCall. Why? Because I loved Caleb and Livvie on Port Charles. A show I only know through youtube.

Oh and a theory. I think RC and FV are trying to turn GH into an amalgamation SUPERsoap (combining GH, OLTL, PC and maybe AMC) in order to keep it on the air. Anything that gives me less Sonny and Jason and more of ANY other characters might get me to watch.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

I think James DePaiva was the sexiest actor in the history of OLTL. And not just in the 80s--he was hot as hell to the end, and he's essentially the same age as both my parents (but I tend to find many older men on TV hotter than guys my own age). I was 13 years old in 2002 and I preferred him over almost any other guy on the show (although I also loved Ty Treadway, he's obviously younger than JDP).

Many find him gorgeous, but usually put him below others from the same show.

GH:

Even with the weird look he had during this last return, I would probably STILL pick Tristan Rogers over practically any other man on the show (although BB would make it a very difficult contest for me).

DZ's okay looking, but that's about it, IMO.

Edited by UseYourIllusion, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:01 PM.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

I think what reality has over scritpted anything is truly unexpected action. Did anyone who watches GH not know that Sonny would be found not guilty of killing Cole and HOpe (I kinda played with the idea of him getting the chair and John running in at the last second with proof it wasn't him, but MB doesn't have the chops to do that anymore)?

Did anyone watching GH not know that Franco would be named Sam's babydaddy (even if the commercial didn't give it away?) Will anyone be surprised when we find out Heather switched the paternity test or results (spec not spoiler)? There are few surprises in television in general, and even fewer in daytime. Reality shows offer people to root for, OTT "characters" and surprising/shocking behavior. Soaps offer recycled stories.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

I don't blame reality shows for killing soaps, but I haven't seen them go anywhere soaps haven't in years. Most of them have become bland, unpleasant, slightly dull, very forced shows, where you can see the scripts. Many of them also seem to treat women like trash. The only thing I can say about reality shows in comparison to soaps is they are far more diverse, although unfortunately, that often seems to delve into stereotypes. I think reality shows have suffered from many of the same problems which killed soaps, like seeing viewers as stupid, excessive repetition, and focusing on humiliation and squabbling above all else. Just look at how vile and pathetic Amazing Race has become. You have beautiful scenery around the world, and what do viewers get to see? The same tired shit with two frozen-faced shrews who are too busy desperately looking for the camera to even come up with a memorable comment.

Case in point - fighting. Back in the day, I tuned in to soaps to see some great catfights because I knew that they had no problem serving it up to viewers who tuned to see character A get their comeuppance or character B finally fight back.

Even most of this seems limited to bickering. The Housewives don't even like to be in the same zip code, so that cuts down on opportunities.

Edited by steve91199, Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:38 AM.

marifn

marifn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

The pool of available head writers seems pretty shallow. I don't know why this is but how can that not contribute to fact that soaps seem so wrung out.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:42 AM

I think head writers have become meaningless because certain executives have so much power. What makes it worse is that when they do bring someone new in, this person is not given any training, or does not care about training. Hogan Sheffer was constantly hyped as being awesome because he wasn't from daytime, and all that meant is he never learned how to properly pace, or have payoffs. Now he's just a complete hack who is so laughably incompetent that they have to age characters by 20 years overnight so he can write for them (if writing = the same worthless "I'm going to pout because I had a bad time and I'm a man with balls" story 30 or 40 times).

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

It would have made SO much more sense and have been SO much better if Blair would have just said to Todd "Screw you, I'm living on an island with Max. Yes, he's an asshole, but he's hot and he's dangerous, but hell he didn't kill his brother and lie about it. Todd, we're taking all of our kids and starting a dysfunctional Brady Bunch." If I'm never seeing Blair again, I can live with that ending rather than Blair and Tomas forever because I just know that either Tomas will kill Blair and then himself or he'll cheat on her with Tea. If Blair and Todd won't be together, there are only two other men I'd rather see her with- Eli or Max- and Eli is dead. I would say Asa, but he's dead too, so I guess three other men.

yuggapukka

yuggapukka

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

ITA that reality shows didn't kill soaps, I believe that reality shows give fans what they want in terms of lurid OTT behaviour and boundary-pushing interactions. I don't particularly enjoy the way they do it, but that's just me. The younger audience that the senile farts in charge delude themselves into believing they'll get by presenting bland teen romances are not going to invest the time in watching soaps when they'll get something with more spice on reality programs. TIIC don't give a fuck beyond pretending to be very busy and important and expecting a fat paycheck on those grounds. The actual facts; that they are wind-bagging themselves out of a job by turning soaps into bland misogynist pap that can be replaced by any number of auto-pilot chat shows doesn't seem to matter to them. Most of them are fantasizing about early retirement anyway. Ironically, it's the older generation that pioneered the edgier soaps of the 60's and 70's that has more of a handle on what could attract an audience than their callow successors with their belief in formula and "training" the audience.

Ambrosefolly1

Ambrosefolly1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I don't blame reality shows for killing soaps, but I haven't seen them go anywhere soaps haven't in years. Most of them have become bland, unpleasant, slightly dull, very forced shows, where you can see the scripts.

My word, can you ever. I remember years ago when the show decided to pursue Jason and Liz, I could tell the very scene where they told Rebecca Herbst she would be paired with Steve Burton and I knew what was down the road. Shows, especially GH has always pushed agendas where they want the audience to root for someone over someone else (the 80s dealing with Scotty is a classic example), but lately they have been going to overdrive.

On General Hospital: I like Ewen and the actor. I would either want a connection to Jasper Jax or the Scorpios. Bonus points for being introduced as a doctor. I also don't mind Maggie the character, but wish they would find a better actress. I kind of like a character who is slightly eccentric.

Also, the character that has suffered the most over the Ethan debacle was Holly. Which segways in to my next point

In general I get the idea that an actor has to commit to what is written for them but sometimes I also think they can be too accomdating, since unlike the writers, they know the character better than anyone, especially if they played the character for years. For example, while I think that Tristin Rogers might have gone overboard with his complaints about GH and what they did to Robert Scorpio, I also can't forgive Billy Warlock for coming back to General Hospital to participate in a storyline that not only saw to the death of AJ Quartermaine but his complete character assassination. AJ's first exit was perfect and as bad as the faked death was, it did give a touching and respectful end to a complicated character, but the kidnapping storyline that followed was there to showcase Sonny and Jason as heroes, royally sucked. I guess he really needed that paycheck.

Edited by Ambrosefolly1, Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:06 AM.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I don't really think its always a bad thing when soaps have love triangles where one pairing is clearly going to end up together. Its annoying when the other pairing has better chemistry and make more sense together and they don't adjust to that or when a the losing character is ruined to prop the couple but I don't think its inherently bad.

I think head writers have become meaningless because certain executives have so much power. What makes it worse is that when they do bring someone new in, this person is not given any training, or does not care about training

Network interference seems to be a huge problem. I think the last DOOL writers claimed that the network would just let them tell their stories.

Edited by oreo8704, Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:56 PM.

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I don't really think its always a bad thing when soaps have love triangles where one pairing is clearly going to end up together. Its annoying when the other pairing has better chemistry and make more sense together and they don't adjust to that or when a the losing character is ruined to prop the couple but I don't think its inherently bad.

This is the part that KILLS me on soaps. For some reason, the shows always seem to go with the bland, chemistryless, expected pairing, rather than trying something new. (Examples include, Katie/Mike over Katie/Henry on ATWT and Greenlee/Ryan over Greenlee/David on AMC.) I think soaps get scared to take chances and it leads to tepid, predictable SLs. Most of the time with love triangles or really ANY SL on soaps, you know how it will end before it even begins. Does anyone NOT know that Victor on Y&R will always win the business deal? That Sonny on GH will triumph over this month's designated Bad Mobster? That Bo and Hope on DOOL will end up together? Why even bother watching when I've already seen it?

I wish soaps would be a little more daring and shake things up. At this point, what do they really have to loose?

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

I think James DePaiva was the sexiest actor in the history of OLTL. And not just in the 80s--he was hot as hell to the end, and he's essentially the same age as both my parents (but I tend to find many older men on TV hotter than guys my own age). I was 13 years old in 2002 and I preferred him over almost any other guy on the show

This caught my eye. I absolutely adored Jame DePaiva. Before Max Holden, OLTL was a show I watched only because it was sandwiched between AMC and GH. But when he blew into town DAMN I was hooked. He was a charmer. He was funny and irreverent but basically a good guy that made mistakes. I loved him and Tina together so much. And then I loved Max and Gabby so much. And then I loved Max and Megan so much...and so on (Luna, hell even Asian Blair). You get the picture. When he left the show I left with him and I came back when he came back. I enjoyed his stuff with Asa, Cord, and RJ. I think the writers lost their way with him but he always just gave it his all and made the show enjoyable for me. I think one of my favorite storylines was watching Max seduce Gabrielle so she would confess to the murder of Michael what's his name. And then he fell for her. Gabby/Max/Megan, now that was a triangle. One where you loved both sides and didn't know which way in hell it would turn out.

What killed soaps for me was bad writing. After watching from when I was a little girl running home to see Dark Shadows or alcoholic Kevin Bacon on GL or the wonderful Edge of Night I had just seen it all. And the one thing I love most on soaps was watching someone get their comeuppance. But something happened along the way, where bad guys got redeemed and then turned into the moral center of the show. Sonny absolutely KILLED General Hospital for me. Todd absolutely KILLED One Life to Live for me. Roger Howarth's Todd. When he took the entire town hostage and walked away scott free I was done. My favorite soap this century was 2nd season of General Hospital at night. That was good soap opera IMO.

So I don't think reality tv killed soaps. I think they killed themselves. I was hoping to see the American soap kinda model itself after the novela. Tell a story for 9 months to 2 years and then just move on. Have a beginning, middle and end and just start something new. I get my soap fix today not by reality tv but watching shows like The Good Wife or Revenge.

Edited by angelita100, Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:25 AM.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

UO, I guess, but I don't care how many characters they bring over from OLTL to GH, I won't watch Mobster Hospital. I liked the end that they gave to OLTL, and haven't deleted those shows yet. I don't think there is any possible retooling of GH which would get me to watch it.

I think the writers are primarily responsible for killing the soaps, with a lot of help from network interference, and some from generational changes. IMO, it has been a snowball heading downhill ever since the GL cancellation. It gathered steam when ATWT ended, and that soap-hater at Disney decided it was time to do what he always wanted. Moving AMC from NYC to LA and losing David Canary helped it to end. I don't believe there was any good reason to end both AMC and OLTL when that happened. Did Agnes Nixon take a dump on someone's desk or something? Y&R and B&B both have a significant problem with actors playing the older characters who aren't that interested in continuing on the show. Their characters may be hated by some, but they're the main reason that some of the older viewers watch. If they go, those shows will probably be in big trouble.

My most UO is that I think Dena Higley did a pretty good job at DAYS, especially compared to what came after her.

I like soaps. Right now I'm downloading EastEnders, Holby City, and Coronation Street, and looking for a way of getting Hollyoaks too in something more than small clips from YT.