Left at the Altar: Soaps' Unpopular Opinions

• Please log in to reply

4371 replies to this topic

Cinabuns

Cinabuns

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:55 PM

I am in fact a fan of John McBain. It just works for me. And have rooted for Jason and Carly for years.

Go ahead try and top it.

Edited by Cinabuns, Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:57 PM.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

Cinabuns, I see your John McBain and raise you a Cole.

Edited by pjamma, Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:01 PM.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

I think, in the grand scheme of things, Tom Langan (HW from 1999 - 2002) did a terrific job. He may not be 80s/early 90s quality and yes, he focused too much on the teens, but he was better than most anyone else post-1993.

I truly thought I was the only one who thought he did a good job.

DimSome

DimSome

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:15 PM

I always liked Liz Kiefer's Blake over Sherry Stringfield's version.

I adored Robert Kelker Kelly as Bo Brady and only tolerate Peter Reckell.

Ellen Wheeler was a great Marley Love. Jensen Buchanan was an adequate Vicky. But Anne Heche forever owns both roles to me. Whenever I think about the show, I automatically insert Anne--no matter the time period.

After nearly a decade, I am still unable to accept Natalie as Viki and Clint's daughter on OLTL. It's not that I don't like the character; it's more that I cannot believe the storyline. And that's saying a lot given some of the crazy stuff I've accepted from my soaps.

Another World's Cass Winthrop belonged with Kathleen McKinnon--not Frankie Frame.

I cannot stomach Julie Pinson on any soap. Ever. I don't dislike the actress or any of the characters she's played, but the sound of her voice sends me reaching for my remote. I think she's pretty and hear she's a fine actress, but I'll never know because I simply can't bear to listen to her.

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:36 PM

And have rooted for Jason and Carly for years.

GAH! it makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing someone else shares this. I started watching GH again AFTER Original Recipe Carly and Jason had sex and waited and waited and WAITED for them to get together again. SB and SBu had (have?) crazy chemistry and I wanted them together in the worst way. <whispering because this really seems UO: I think Jason is sexy. There, I said it.>

I cannot stomach Julie Pinson on any soap. Ever. I don't dislike the actress or any of the characters she's played, but the sound of her voice sends me reaching for my remote.

And I'll see you your Julie Pinson voice, and raise you Kim Mc on GH. I can't stand her voice so Robin has no chance with me, even if I did like her character. Which I don't.

Another UO: On B&B, I have liked Brooke better with ANY of her pairings OTHER than Ridge.

I thought Josh on AMC was soo hot. What a waste.

I loathe what GH did to A.J. & how he was always vilified by Sonny, Jason, & Carly.

A slightly different take: I loathe what they did to AJ when they recast him with Billy Warlock. In fact, I've never cared for any character BW has played. Once he was playing AJ, it was understandable to me how AJ became the huge perennial weak pathetic loser he morphed into, because to me that's what BW does best. Sean Kanan is the one true AJ.

Edited by annsterg, Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:49 PM.

vildachaia

vildachaia

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:38 PM

I, too, thought Jed Allen was closer to David Lewis than John Ingle is. And I liked him as Edward.

On OLTL, I still think there's hope for JPL. And I like ME when he smiles, which, true, is a rare occurance. And while I like KDP, I'm apathetic when it comes to Blair.

I hate, hate, hate Tamara Braun with the red hot fire of a thousand nuns.

Soapwide, while I applaud the use of cast integration, and think long term relationships of any kind (not just romance) are the backbone of soaps, I don't believe any one is "owed" a job or "too big" to take a pay cut. I may find some cuts short sighted, but I understand business decisions.

adixon99

adixon99

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:40 PM

My UO's:

I, too, love Gloria on Y & R. For some reason, I always find her entertaining. I still miss the first Mac( Ashley Bashioum) & think all the other ones were poor imitations of her. I also, like John McBain on OLTL & especially enjoyed him with Evangeline. I never did get all the John/Natalie love or why anyone liked them as a couple. I also love TSJ & wished TPTB had gone there & paired Todd up with Evangeline. Melanie Smith is the only Emily on ATWT, even though I like KMH. I loathe what GH did to A.J. & how he was always vilified by Sonny, Jason, & Carly. Stephanie on B & B rocks. No matter what she does, I love it. I also liked the Cooper family on GL & didn't find them as irritating as alot of the board does. Marina & Mallet kind of grew on me & I always thought Marina & Alan-Michael had smoking chemistry.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

I never got the appeal of Luke and Laura either--the rape=romance thing, obviously. I could never watch a single one of their lovey-dovey scenes without cringing.

I hated every moment of GH's Jason and Robin. I thought they were unbelievably dull and incredibly sanctimonious. Similarly, I've hated Jason Morgan since the day he opened his eyes and set about treating nearly all of his loved ones like crap.

I LIKED GH's Lily and I liked Sonny and Lily together. More than Sonny and Brenda? No, but I didn't hate Lily and I'm sick of her being maligned for simply talking to Sonny when no one ever said a word about Brenda's constant dry-humping of Miguel.

I thought Jacob Young and Natalia Livingston where perfectly fine as GH's Lucky and Emily, respectively, even if they were light years behind their predecessors.

I thought Jennifer Bransford could have been a fine Carly if given the chance.

I hate OLTL's Rex and Gigi and hate that Adriana had to be bitch-fied in order to make them work--but I hate Stacy too.

I don't think Todd and Blair have worked together since the first go-round in 1995.

I think Malone missed a golden opportunity for a Rebecca/Todd/Blair/Cord quad back in 1994/95.

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

Two more UOs I've got:

I prefer Arianna's original, short-lived portrayer, Felisha Terrell on DAYS and that she had a calmer, more mature take on the role than current portrayer Lindsay Hartley's overacting tendencies, though I'm okay with her in the role, as well. I like both portayers' versions with Eric Martsolf's Brady, though.

I actually think Jack's current relationship with, and marriage to, Janet, while a bit rushed (seriously -- only dated five months before getting married!), is way better than any of his relationships with Carly on ATWT.

Bchick

Bchick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:32 PM

Otalia on GL was overrated.

Count me in with that opinion too. Totally overrated and not a compelling love story EVER even though I thought the actresses were good.

I never hated Melanie on DOOL even when the actress chewed scenery up and down the sets. I also like Melanie and Philip together.

I hated Jason/Robin on GH and always wanted SB's Carly and Jason together.

Kendall/Ryan is disgusting. I'd rather he be with Erica.

I think writers obsession with The Great Victor Newman being god-like is killing Y & R

I don't like Chloe on Y & R and don't care about seeing her with any man but rather prefer her to leave Genoa City. Like the actress since AMC but the character of Chloe is a bust.

I've always liked Bo more with his other love interests than with Hope on DOOL.

I've never liked B & B's Brooke.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:32 PM

Speaking of which. . .

I REALLY hated that the ATWT writers destroyed Julia to facilitate Jack and Carly. And I do mean destroyed--she went from an all around nice girl, even if she was a Mary Sue-type, to complete madwoman. And for what? For Jack and Carly to do their perpetual on-again, off-again thing?

For that matter, substitute GL, Annie, and Josh and Reva and you'll get my feelings on THAT storyline (even if Cynthia Watros did some of soaps best acting EVER).

I would have loved it both women had wised up and dumped the jerks and escaped with their dignity and sanity intact.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

Kendall/Ryan is disgusting. I'd rather he be with Erica.

I agree. I would much rather watch a Ryan/Erica romance than see Kendall reunite with him.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

So many:

Brian Frons is trying to save ABC soaps and does not micromanage them any where near to the extent that the online rumors suggest. Fans blame him wrongly for decisions made by EPs and headwriters.

I never liked Reva. She has always got on my nerves. I wanted Josh to stay with Harley.

I'm not buying Olivia as a lesbian. Since she arrived in Springfield, she has loved three things; money, power, and penises.

Carly was more entertaining with Hunt Block's Craig than sanctimonious Jack. I blame Jack's emotional cowardice and game playing for making Julia crazy.

I never liked Holden and Lily. Lily and Damian were the best. She grew up and became a woman with him. He was the most beautiful man I had ever seen.

I always have hated TGVN from Y&R and Brooke from B&B.

I can't stand Kelly Hensley as Emily. I still miss Melanie Smith.

I could not stand Dixie. Brooke had been so nice to her and she turned around had an affair with Adam. Dixie never was held accountable for her action. I preferred Tad with Brooke.

I will always prefer Bo and Lindsay to Bo and Nora.

I prefer Sami with Lucas over her other love interests.

I have never gotten the hype about Sarah Brown. As an actress, she lacks subtlety and loves to draw all the attention to herself in every scene. She is overrated.

DimSome~ After nearly a decade, I am still unable to accept Natalie as Viki and Clint's daughter on OLTL. It's not that I don't like the character; it's more that I cannot believe the storyline. And that's saying a lot given some of the crazy stuff I've accepted from my soaps.

Same here. I watched Jessica being born. I don't believe for a second that Natalie is really Viki and Clint's daughter. It is too preposterous.

Tellitlikeitis

Tellitlikeitis

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

My UO's. Warning these are my honest opinions and may offend some ;-)

GL-Crystal Chappell is overrated. The botox and the lip collagen is very distracting. I like my tears with real waterworks thank you. Ellen Wheeler wasn't a bad EP. Loved the find your light themes and inside the light episodes. I will never hate on her because I don't know what it is like to oversee a soap that was on the cancel block for years. I also liked the ending. It went back to the roots of GL which was family.

GH-Megan Ward couldn't act out of a paper bag, and I was glad to see LisaL replace her character. I don't mind the mob stories or the stunt events. Seriously.

Y&R- Hated, hated, hated VR's Dru. I don't need to be reminded that Dru is black and sassy(this is coming from a Black woman) and the way VR is talking shit about YR castmates shows that she isn't very professional. MTS could have left the show.

B&B KKL is overrated to me also.

AMC-Eden R voice got on my nerves. I wouldn't mind if Susan Lucci doesn't make the move to LA.

OLTL- I like John Mcbain. I like the dark, brooding type of men on my soaps.

DOOL- Kristian Alfonso can't act. Another one who cannot generate tears to save her life. I wasn't mad when the fired all the vets. The show did not suffer. Although I don't like that they are making Crystal Chappell to be the second coming of Christ on this show.

ATWT- Maura West is overrated. She didn't deserve that Emmy in 2007.

FlamingWench79

FlamingWench79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:45 PM

I say keep the gay stories coming. I would rather see half-assed than nothing. I think these types of stories appeal to a good part of the audience, gay and straight. Sometimes, you have to start small to create a change. Without Luke and Noah, I doubt there would have been a Fish and Kyle. OLTL is doing the best job I've seen yet. The characters being used started off as small side characters. Through this story, they've been able to add dimension to them while avoiding stereotypes. Just last week Kyle was making out with a guy who wasn't even the other main "gay" in the story. And it wasn't spoiled. It was just a normal part of the episode. It was enough to give me faith the writers are committed to the story so I'm more than willing to go along for the ride.

I get what your saying. I'm still a relatively new viewer to OLTL and I'll admit, sofar I like what I see with Kyle and Fish.

Natalia being pregnant with Frank's baby.

Another UO: I didn't understand all the hatred fans had for the Coopers, especially Frank. I didn't feel that the whole show revolved around the Coopers. I also didn't think it was fair for all the Frank hate because he was interfering with Otalia. Natalia slept with Frank willingly and without protection.

Another UO: On B&B, I have liked Brooke better with ANY of her pairings OTHER than Ridge.

Crazy as it might sound, I thought Brooke's best relationship was with Thorne.

I never liked Holden and Lily. Lily and Damian were the best. She grew up and became a woman with him. He was the most beautiful man I had ever seen.

I was on the Holden and Lily train until she returned married to Damian. Don't think for a minute I wasn't throwing things at the tv when Damian and Lily were split up so she could go back to Holden. HAAAAAATE!

I wasn't that into Professor Korbel and Colleen on Y&R. I also like Sharon but hate what they have done to the character.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:02 AM

Same here. I watched Jessica being born. I don't believe for a second that Natalie is really Viki and Clint's daughter. It is too preposterous.

Speaking of which, and I doubt this is unpopular. . .

I absolutely HATE retcons that mess with something we've seen (or haven't seen) onscreen. Don't tell us OLTL's Jess and Natalie are twins when we all saw Jess being born, don't tell us four GL characters were involved in a young woman's death 20 years ago when we KNOW nothing like that happened, don't tell us Luke cheated on Laura at a time when they were ONSCREEN as a blissfully happy couple.

Eden R voice got on my nerves

Mine too. I think EVERY actress who has ever played Bianca has gotten on my nerves somehow. At least ER could act.

I always have hated TGVN from Y&R and Brooke from B&B.

I will second your opinion of Brooke--KKL's voice gets on my last nerves, but grudgingly admit that I do NOT hate TGVN. Is he my favorite character? Hell, NO. But I just don't get that "boil him in oil" feeling when he's onscreen.

I never liked Reva. She has always got on my nerves.

Ditto.

I could not stand Dixie. Brooke had been so nice to her and she turned around had an affair with Adam. Dixie never was held accountable for her action.

I thought Dixie was, as Janet once described her, a "self-righteous ninny", as well as a grade-A hypocrite. She blasts Brooke for sleeping with Tad, when she had an affair with Adam (who admittedly took advantage of her, but still), and she blasts Tad for his drug-induced one-night stand with Leslie. . .then turns around and publicly carries on a months long affair with David.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:06 AM

I don't hate Y&R Sharon's hair. Sometimes I even like it.

Ashley Abbot is one of the worst soap characters of all time.

I've always liked Cricket (or Christine).

Edited by pjamma, Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:11 AM.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

DOOL- Kristian Alfonso can't act. Another one who cannot generate tears to save her life.

Agreed. I only watched DOOL briefly but I couldn't stand her as Hope. Also, I think 98% of the DOOL cast are scenery chewers and can't act.

I also prefer Natalia Livingston's Emily over Amber Tamblyn. Amber's Emily was overbearingly obnoxious to me.

I hate, hate, HATE Jolivia on and and Olivia in general. I am rooting for her and Sonny so I can FF them both at the same time. Also I find Lisa L. to be very unattractive.

I don't mind that Mac doesn't have much screentime, either. I think John York works best in small doses.

I'm another Jason/Carly shipper for way back. I originally tuned out in 2000 when Carly/Sonny had Hate!Sex.

I floved Sexis and hated that he went back to Carly.

I hate LW as Carly. I don't think she's a fit- she's too cheery to be Carly. I never saw CarJax's chemistry either.

And here is the most extreme unpopular opinion <small voice>, I didn't mind Courtney or the Fab Four.I loved her with AJ too. I only hated her when she was going back and forth between Jax and Nick.

Tamara Braun was my favorite Carly.

Edited by Billie Jean, Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:25 AM.

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

I think I have many unpopular opinions:

Days of our Lives: Steve and Kayla bored me although I recognize they were played by very good actors. But charisma-less, IMO. I thought Marcus Patrick was right when he said that daytime doesn't allow men to portray real men. Daytime male characters are neutered for the most part. When Shawn and Belle exchanged purity rings, I thought that was ridiculous, not romantic, just foolish. I like men who act like sex is important to them. I don't think KA is too thin. I think she's just right.

One Life to Live: I think Robin Strasser overacts, although I think she has charisma and screen presence. But for technical prowess, I think she's a distant second to Erika Slezak. I don't think Tuc Watkins can act if it's a really serious scene. His latest scene with Bo made him look like a pale imitation of Forrest Gump.

Passions: If the situation between Theresa and Ethan had been reversed, he would have been arrested for stalking, viewed as a criminal, etc. She should have been institutionalized. The least romantic heroine in history. Gwen went too far after a while, but initially anything she did was just in self defense against this deranged psychopath.

General Hospital: I don't think Jacob Young shouted through all of his scenes, and think he's a very, very good actor now on AMC (although I haven't watched recently). I was riveted by Robert Kelker-Kelly's portrayal of Stavros (and loved that whole storyline) that was terminated because of September 11.

All My Children: I think it was very selfish of Eden Riegel to leave the 1st time she left. These actors should know when they have the 'type' to succeed in other genres, and she doesn't. As evidenced by the fact I haven't heard about her since she left. And she totally derailed the show. Yes, daytime writers suck for the most part now (except for Ron C. on OLTL and Dena H. on DOOL), but I don't think actors like ER get enough blame for messing up storylines with leaving at inopportune times. If actors aren't going to be dedicated to the shows that made them famous, then viewers shouldn't be loyal either. The babyswitch storyline was awesome, IMO, and soapiness at its best. ER left and the momentum was completely gone.

Nelson Branco can go too far sometimes, but I think he's adorable and fun, rather than overly creepy. I at least find him very interesting.

And I hate, hate, hate it when women slap men's faces on daytime at the drop of a hat. And the men just take it. Not that I want the women slugged back, but violence is violence. I do not find it romantic, amusing, desirable or worth watching.

Edited by Jaclynovascotia, Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:23 AM.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:25 AM

I didn't mind Courtney

You are very brave. But I kinda liked her too.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:41 AM

I think it was very selfish of Eden Riegel to leave the 1st time she left. These actors should know when they have the 'type' to succeed in other genres, and she doesn't. As evidenced by the fact I haven't heard about her since she left. And she totally derailed the show. Yes, daytime writers suck for the most part now (except for Ron C. on OLTL and Dena H. on DOOL), but I don't think actors like ER get enough blame for messing up storylines with leaving at inopportune times. If actors aren't going to be dedicated to the shows that made them famous, then viewers shouldn't be loyal either. The babyswitch storyline was awesome, IMO, and soapiness at its best. ER left and the momentum was completely gone.

I don't think it was selfish for her to leave the first time. I can't blame any actor or wanting to make it in Hollywood but I wish that she would either sign a longterm contract or only stop by for an occasional visit for a few days. The 4-6 month storylines are disruptive and while their crappyness is largely due to Pratt the timeline isn't helping.

FlamingWench79

FlamingWench79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:51 AM

Nelson Branco can go too far sometimes, but I think he's adorable and fun, rather than overly creepy. I at least find him very interesting.

<small voice> Agreed. I actually get a kick out of reading his columns. Man, I am loving this thread. I feel like I've been let free from my cage.

Buzzspark

Buzzspark

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 1:05 AM

Another UO: I didn't understand all the hatred fans had for the Coopers, especially Frank. I didn't feel that the whole show revolved around the Coopers. I also didn't think it was fair for all the Frank hate because he was interfering with Otalia. Natalia slept with Frank willingly and without protection.

I don't really understand the hatred either. I always liked the Coopers also. I started watching the show 20 years ago and Harley and Frank were around for as long as I can remember. I loved Nadine, Buzz, Pops, Coop, hell, even Lucy. I could take or leave Daisy and Marina but honestly they never bothered me. I love the Coopers just as much as I loved the Bauers, Spauldings and Lewises.

Like you said, flamingwench79, Natalia willingly slept with Frank and she should have to deal with the consequences. He's not some sperm donor who should gladly hand his child over to Olivia to raise. I can't hate on Frank for wanting to be a major part of his child's life. I can't even blame him for being uncomfortable with Olivia wanting to raise his daughter. I think any man who loves his child and his child's mother would have some difficulty with the situation even if Olivia was a man. And I really don't see the problem with Natalia choosing to name the baby Francesca(although the name reminds of Mallet's first "love" and I didn't like her). This child is not a miracle baby for a lesbian couple. Like it or not, she has a father who should realistically be a bigger part of the baby's life than Olivia. I mean, I loved the little family that formed between Emma, Natalia and Olivia but that doesn't mean that Phillip should be kicked out of his daughter's life.

Modi

Modi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 1:35 AM

From AMC:

I really like Jamie Luner as Liza. Marcy Walker never did anything for me.

Zach isn't the most popular character now, but I've always hated him. He gets a lot of flack for Reese, but he also aggressively pursued Maria while Edmund was in a wheelchair. I've always hated him with Kendall too. I've never seen this great chemistry they're supposed to have.

I never hated Babe for stealing Bianca's baby because I've never liked Bianca. Bianca's always been a sanctimonious brat, and Eden Reigel is very overrated.

Loathed Dixie, and I hope she stays dead. I've never understood why people got so offended by the poisoned pancakes. People die from poisoned food and drink all the time, on TV and in real life.

obtabius

obtabius

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 4:17 AM

I cannot STAND Brooke on B&B. Every time she gets all breathy and her eyes shine with tears at some terrible injustice I think "You slep with your daughters husband! And had a baby with him!"

I find her character to be repugnant.

VAdreamer

VAdreamer

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 6:58 AM

I'm sure I have plenty of UOs. Off the top of my head, all from GH:

Jason/Courtney and Carly/Alcazar are my all-time favorite GH pairings.

I loathe Liason, and hate the character of Elizabeth whenever she's anywhere near Jason's circle. Without fail, she quickly turns into a whining brat.

Tamara Braun was the best Carly.

I actually like Ethan, to a point.

Don't like the character of Alexis, nor do I care for NLG's acting. At all.

I think Maurice Benard is one of the worst actors anywhere, not just on daytime.

And from the defunct Port Charles:
Despite being a big Rafe/Allison fan, I actually really liked the Caleb/Allison story they did at the end. And felt awful for liking it!

Edited by VAdreamer, Sep 27, 2009 @ 6:59 AM.

Marlies

Marlies

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:27 AM

Eden Reigel is very overrated.

I think Eden Riegel is duller than dishwater and I wish they would recast the role of Bianca with someone more mature and sexy.

Jessica Leccia on GL was extremely overrated. She had chemistry with one actor and that's it. There is a reason they pretty much isolated the character of Natalia because she put the viewers to sleep whenever she had to share scenes with the other characters.

I didn't hate Steffy and Rick on B&B (yes it was sick but not Jammy sick) and I find them more entertaining than Marcus and Steffy.

Edited by Marlies, Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:28 AM.

vayacon

vayacon

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:36 AM

Crazy as it might sound, I thought Brooke's best relationship was with Thorne.

I liked her best with Deacon!

NancyEss

NancyEss

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:44 AM

GL-Crystal Chappell is overrated. The botox and the lip collagen is very distracting. I like my tears with real waterworks thank you. Ellen Wheeler wasn't a bad EP. Loved the find your light themes and inside the light episodes. I will never hate on her because I don't know what it is like to oversee a soap that was on the cancel block for years. I also liked the ending. It went back to the roots of GL which was family. ~tellitlikeitis

I also loved the "Find your light" and "Inside the light" episodes. I give Ellen Wheeler credit for trying to bring new things to the genre. After a bit of a rough start, I actually liked the new production model - enjoyed the outdoor scenes a lot. I think EW was in a no-win situation. Regardless of who was in charge, GL's days had been numbered for a long time, so I don't blame her for the cancellation.

Otalia on GL was overrated.

Count me in with that opinion too. Totally overrated and not a compelling love story EVER even though I thought the actresses were good.~ Bchick

I thought the actresses were okay. I found it interesting that fans hated Natalia until Olivia started having feelings towards her.

I'm not buying Olivia as a lesbian. Since she arrived in Springfield, she has loved three things; money, power, and penises.~SimoneS

SNORT - that's hysterical!

Natalia being pregnant with Frank's baby.

Another UO: I didn't understand all the hatred fans had for the Coopers, especially Frank. I didn't feel that the whole show revolved around the Coopers. I also didn't think it was fair for all the Frank hate because he was interfering with Otalia. Natalia slept with Frank willingly and without protection. ~FlamingWench79

and

I don't really understand the hatred either. I always liked the Coopers also. I started watching the show 20 years ago and Harley and Frank were around for as long as I can remember. I loved Nadine, Buzz, Pops, Coop, hell, even Lucy. I could take or leave Daisy and Marina but honestly they never bothered me. I love the Coopers just as much as I loved the Bauers, Spauldings and Lewises.

Like you said, flamingwench79, Natalia willingly slept with Frank and she should have to deal with the consequences. He's not some sperm donor who should gladly hand his child over to Olivia to raise. I can't hate on Frank for wanting to be a major part of his child's life. I can't even blame him for being uncomfortable with Olivia wanting to raise his daughter. I think any man who loves his child and his child's mother would have some difficulty with the situation even if Olivia was a man. And I really don't see the problem with Natalia choosing to name the baby Francesca(although the name reminds of Mallet's first "love" and I didn't like her). This child is not a miracle baby for a lesbian couple. Like it or not, she has a father who should realistically be a bigger part of the baby's life than Olivia. I mean, I loved the little family that formed between Emma, Natalia and Olivia but that doesn't mean that Phillip should be kicked out of his daughter's life.~ buzzspark

I think I love this thread. I loved the Coopers, especially Harley (well, at least in the character's first run - I hated Harley with both Gus and Cyrus) . While Frank D. is a limited actor, Frank C. was not the evil guy that many made him out to be, and his wanting to have a role in his daughter's life is consistent with his character. This is a guy who raised his younger sister basically on his own. Family's the most important thing to him. I didn't love the actresses playing Daisy and Marina at the end, but Brittany Snow's Daisy and Aubrey Dollar's Marina were both great. I loved the Coop/Ashlee story and wished it hadn't been dropped so quickly after her surgery.

I was never a fan of the Olivia character and think that Crystal Chappell is very over-rated as an actress, though I'm sure she's a lovely person. They could have written off Olivia years ago, and I never would have missed her. I do give CC credit, though, for being really good at cultivating her fan base and the soap press and being very savvy about the business end of being a soap actress. However, I think a lot of the outrage over the Otalia story was based on the fact that the actress led her fans to believe that things were going to happen, before the scenes were ever written and probably long after she knew they hadn't been. Was it ridiculous that the characters didn't have their long-awaited romantic kiss? Yes, absolutely. However, with GL ending, I cared a whole lot less about Olivia and Natalia than I did about the characters and families that had been on the show for the decades I had been watching. I loved the returns, brief as they were, of Dylan, Bridget, Mindy, Michelle, Danny, Ed, Holly, etc. I'd have happily given the time spent on Otalia in the last few months to be able to spend more time with these core characters who played a much larger role in the history of the show.

sixesses

sixesses

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:54 AM

Also loved Evanston's Tamara Braun as Carly. I like Jamie Lunar's Liza Colby, and Damian and Lily together on ATWT. I think Jacob Young's time as Lucky opposite Stephen "Coltin Scott" Martines was golden. I think Susan Lucci should serve her forty years and get a nice retirement party. I think Eileen Fulton should be on ATWT lots more. I don't even understand Jess and Natalie's relationship on OLTL, people seems to have conflicting versions of their story. Someone recently told me that Jess isn't really a Buke. I don't get it. Make it less complicated.

Shawn Christian is too old now for the unbuttoned shirt, from ATWT years ago to now on DAYS. UO, Brandon Beemer is ugly. Prof Jarvis should take Noah away from Luke. I think it's idiotic that Fish had sex with two women and then decides to come out as gay because there is no such thing as bisexual in soapland, which is pretty ironic considering how much so many "straight" actors on soaps ping. OLTL and especially Robin Strasser promise much more Gays of our Lives to come, but the biggest part of that is going to occur the Friday before, and Monday after Halloween, so I wonder if everyone's going to be in costumes.

Edited by sixesses, Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:40 PM.