Left at the Altar: Soaps' Unpopular Opinions

• Please log in to reply

4371 replies to this topic

Buzzspark

Buzzspark

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

Is Sonny Corinthos your all-time favorite soap character? Do you wish David Vickers would leave Llanview and never come back? Are you just dying to see another baby swap story? If so, this is the place to share your unpopular opinions without fear of scorn and ridicule.

To get the ball rolling, I have a few unpopular opinions of my own.

On Y&R: I love Gloria Bardwell. I first started watching the show about two and a half years ago. During that time Gloria was a front-burner, over the top schemer. She was on all the time and I loved it. Nobody can play bug-eyed, hysterical dramatics quite like Judith Chapman. I'm a little disappointed that she's not on as much anymore. Especially since every scheme blows up in her face, now. I think Y&R should let her win a few every now and then.

I'm also sorry to be losing Tammin Sursok as Colleen. I think her acting improved over the years. Her perfomances when Brad died won me over. Dare I say, I even liked her better than Adrienne Leon who always seemed so dour and whispery to me. Worst of all, though, I think it's a shame to lose a young character with so much history and family. I wish soap execs would learn not to kill off young members of core families. The story that comes from it is never worth the decimation of a core family(unless your GH's B.J. because that was good stuff).

On GL's Finale: I was pleased overall with the final episode and the week leading up to it. I think Alan's death was a perfect ending for the character and the show. The one(and only) thing I liked about GL's new production format was the ability it gave them to create a real community out of the characters. I loved seeing everyone happy as a family, as a couple, but more importantly, as a town. Being a 20 year viewer and a Jeva fan, I was thrilled to see Josh and Reva reunite at the end. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. As a gay man, I can understand the disappointment many Otalia fans felt with their couple's ending. I can recognize that Otalia was a progressive story that gave GL some buzz and a bit of mainstream press. But as a GL fan, they were really just a small blip on the radar of the show and the stories. I'm more upset about the lack of airtime for long-term Springfield residents like Ed, Holly, Bridget, Nola and Dylan than I am about a true ending for Otalia.

sixesses

sixesses

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

My UO would be that I found GL to be incredibly boring towards the end. I liked Murray Bartlett, and once I stopped seeing his character, I stopped looking at it.

I also like Y&R's Gloria, and enjoyed the show when she was in jail or dealing with her sons more often. I like Jeffrey too, which I think is really UO.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 11:21 PM

Eh, nevermind -- I need to be in a better frame of mind.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Sep 25, 2009 @ 11:40 PM.

FlamingWench79

FlamingWench79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:39 AM

My UO? I'm not as sad as I thought I'd be over about GL being off the air. I didn't even shed a single tear during the finale and I'm a diehard Jeva fan. The whole thing just felt so contrived to me and slapped together. That and I had long since come to the conclusion that my GL died a long time ago.

motheroftwo

motheroftwo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:33 AM

My unpopular opinion? I enjoy baby swap stories because once the drama dies down the child is with a permanent babysitter until he or she is SORASed to the point where they can do a baby switch of their own. This might be a bit of an exaggeration-but not by much.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:46 AM

I'm over Luke and Laura. Blah, blah, blah supercouplecakes. It was good while it lasted but it's been forever since they were relevant. I never need to see another reunion or hear about how they were the love of all loves ever again.

Edited by pjamma, Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:50 AM.

obtabius

obtabius

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 4:15 AM

I'm over Luke and Laura. Blah, blah, blah supercouplecakes.

Same. Sorry LL fans I just don't get it. And I like Luke and Tracey together.

Also...I don't get why people think Chrystal Chappell is so amazing. I mean, I think she's good, but people think she's the Greatest Actor Ever. Which I definitely don't see. I want to...I just can't.

Toria

Toria

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 4:25 AM

Yeam I'm over LnL too and I like Luke and Tracy together but Tracy deserves much better IMO and I just couldn't care less if Luke was on GH or not. If Laura were to come back I'd want her to turn her back on Luke for being such a dick and get herself a hot young boytoy and snark on Luke with Tracy.

I don't like most super-couples because TIIC think that because the're super they can trample all over everyone and do heinous things including to one another and yet stay together and still be loved for their supposedly super-couple status.

Also...I don't get why people think Chrystal Chappell is so amazing. I mean, I think she's good, but people think she's the Greatest Actor Ever. Which I definitely don't see. I want to...I just can't.

Yeah she's good, but not even counting the rest of daytime I think there were more than a couple of actors on GL that were better than her.

Edited by Toria, Sep 26, 2009 @ 4:28 AM.

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:47 AM

UOs from the mists of time:

- On ATWT, I liked Heather Rattray's Lily about a million times better than Martha Byrne's.

- I absolutely could not stand Terry Lester, in any role I ever saw him play. Just awful, constantly mugging, chewing the scenery, selfish with other actors...just UGH.

- Again, on ATWT, I have never ever EVER been able to accept Kelly M-H as Emily. IMO the one true Emily is Melanie Smith. Period.

and one current UO:

- I just don't understand the enduring popularity of Victor Newman, and Y&R's constant focus on him makes that show unwatchable for me.

motheroftwo

motheroftwo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:21 AM

I love this thread. It's so reassuring to know that you're not the only one who thought Victor Newman was way overblown--and I also stopped watching Yand R--about 25 years ago. It's fun to see people go against the general consensus-then realize there are more of us than originally thought.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:41 AM

I don't see the big deal about Genie Francis and would rather she not ever return to GH.
AG can go anytime now, too.

I've liked Melanie pretty much from the beginning on DOOL.

I wasn't upset Steve and Kayla were written off DOOL.

I enjoy DOOL and rarely ff these days.

I kind of like Danloe on DOOL.

I hate mismashed names like Danloe.

Edited by DanaMB, Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:43 AM.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:02 PM

I think Shane and Kayla were a fantastic couple and deserved a real story.

Just kidding. That's got to be the ultimate unpopular soap opinion.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:08 PM

I do too. I've started using them more in recent years out of laziness but with a few exceptions I don't like combined couple names.

Edited by oreo8704, Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:10 PM.

Marlies

Marlies

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

I think Spinelli on GH is one of the most annoying characters ever and...dare I say it? He is too ugly for daytime.

I don't get the hate for Stacey on OLTL and I prefer her over that annoying gremlin, Gigi.

Nuke on ATWT is a subpar couple at best.

Otalia on GL was overrated.

Laura Wright on GH is a horrible Carly.

Liason is boring and I get why TPTB don't want to put them together.

Dinah and Shayne on GL were awful, just awful.

MulletorHater

MulletorHater

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 2:21 PM

I was never on the Luke and Laura bandwagon to begin with. I must have been one of the few people in America who refused to see their wedding as this wonderful event. I never got over the fact that he raped her and that she looked in her husband's face and repeatedly lied, shielded and protected her rapist and actually fell in love with him. I never got over the fact that they shit on Scotty just to make him look unreasonable (how dare he?!) for calling his wife a tramp after she abandoned him and ran off with her rapist.

Binks

Binks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 2:38 PM

John Ingle while a good actor was terribly miscast as Edward. One of the worst recasts ever. It changed Edward's characterization completely. Jed Evans (I think that is the name of the actor who came in to replace JI a few years back) was too young to be Edward but he was closer to David Lewis Edward than JI ever has been. They should kill Edward off and bring him on as a previously unknown brother or cousin of Edward's.

Add me to the list of people who was never a Luke & Laura fan. Scotty/Laura all the way.

Claire Labine's best GH story was not the heart transplant or the Stone/Aids story. It was the Scotty/Dominique romance. Best characterization and best plotted story she ever did on GH.

Every actor on GH is okay at best with the exception of Jane Elliot and Ron Hale and even Jane Elliot is starting to ham it up like TG.

Both Robin Christopher and Ric Hearst while excellant at the technical aspects of their craft have the charisma of wet noodles and couldn't generate chemistry with co-stars if they had a bunson burner and some chemicals in front of them.

Ignacio Serrachio (Diego) while a terrible technical actor while on GH was a chemistry magnate. Skills can be developed. That type of charisma cannot.

Edited by Binks, Oct 12, 2009 @ 1:00 AM.

FlamingWench79

FlamingWench79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

Ditto. I think she's fabulous in her own right, but I can think of several daytime actresses that can run rings around her.

Johnathan and Tammy on GL? I hated that pairing with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. They were cousins.....by blood. Yuck, yuck, and more yuck. I'll go even further and say that I can't stand Tom Pelphrey (sp?) either. He was one of the many reasons why I tuned out of GL. I couldn't stomache anymore of his overacting and scenery chewing.

IMO the one true Emily is Melanie Smith. Period.

OMG, I miss her so much! And yes, when I think of Emily, I still think of Melanie Smith's version.

I just don't understand the enduring popularity of Victor Newman, and Y&R's constant focus on him makes that show unwatchable for me.

As a longtime viewer of Y&R, whom recently ceased her viewership, I understand. I'm not only sick of the character, I'm also sick of the actor who portrays him. He's well past his prime and mumbles through all of his scenes.

IMO there is ZERO chemistry between Chance and Chloe on Y&R. Watching them together is the equivalent of watching paint dry. I also feel the same way about Katie and Bill on B&B.

Ditto.

I also wish soaps (the American ones) would stop with writing gay storylines. No, I'm not a homophobe, but I have yet to see anyone really go balls to wall and writing a good, compelling story that is character driven and not all about the "shock value" (I'm looking squarely at you Y&R). I would have much more respect for these writers if they would just admit that they're too chicken to write a gay story, instead of feeding viewers the same line of bs everytime they are questioned about it (looking at you too, Ellen Wheeler). Although, I think OLTL has been doing an ok job (just started watching so I'm trying to play catch up).

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 2:47 PM

I enjoyed the Sonny and Emily story on GH.

It feels good to get that out.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:07 PM

Both Robin Christopher and Ric Hearst while excellant mechanical actors have the charisma of wet noodles and couldn't generate chemistry with co-stars if they had a bunson burner and some chemicals in front of them.

I thought Robin Christopher had good chemistry with Ted King and John Bolger but I didn't think she had any with Anthony Geary, although I'm not sure if that is an unpopular opinion or not.

While I don't think he is a bad actor I think Anthony Geary is very overrated in terms of acting ability and charisma.

Edited by oreo8704, Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:17 PM.

Hatpin

Hatpin

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:50 PM

I don't believe there is a behind-the-scenes conspiracy to destroy soaps. I believe a combination of poor judgment, sloppy writing, and bad decisions are combining with changes in the way people watch television and doing tremendous damage to the genre, but I don't think the people who work on soaps hate them and want to destroy them from within. I think sometimes the desperation to save a show is what leads to the terrible decisions that sink it, such as GL's production style during the last couple of years.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 4:26 PM

I don't believe there is a behind-the-scenes conspiracy to destroy soaps. I believe a combination of poor judgment, sloppy writing, and bad decisions are combining with changes in the way people watch television and doing tremendous damage to the genre, but I don't think the people who work on soaps hate them and want to destroy them from within. I think sometimes the desperation to save a show is what leads to the terrible decisions that sink it, such as GL's production style during the last couple of years.

I agree. I don't think TPTB are incompetent but not intentially tanking the soaps.

BluBelle

BluBelle

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 5:17 PM

Holy cow! I want to marry this thread and give it babies. Here are my OLTL UOs:

I enjoyed the hell out of Tarty. TSJ and SH had such crazy white-hot chemistry that even though I didn't want to love it...I did. I knew it had to end but damn; it was dark and twisty and gnarly in the extreme and took the soapiest of risks. Don't judge me - like the thread title says, there's no accounting for taste.

I adore skanky Stacy and her side kick second slut Kimmie. And anything they can do to stick it to Rex and Gigi is a-okay by me.

I miss Spencer Truman.

I never liked the character of Evangeline and thought REG was merely an adequate actress.

I think TSJ is a brilliant soap actor and when he wants to, he brings a lot to his portrayal of Todd.

There's more, but I'd best stop for now before I truly embarrass myself.

Edited by BluBelle, Sep 26, 2009 @ 5:50 PM.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 5:37 PM

Yeah...if you talk too long, we on the OLTL board might trace the call. :)

I sort of agree on Stacey. Giving her a talk-to character (Kim) finally gives me a chance to listen to her thought processes (or lack of them) and attempt to understand. Back in the stem-cell fiasco period, I wanted her to get run over by a bus.

My UO on OLTL is that I hatehatehate David Vickers and his schtick with the reality show was awful. All the in-jokes and double entendres screamed "writers trying to be overly clever". Having the actor drop in every time he's on break from Desperate Housewives is a disservice to the full-timers at OLTL whose screen time is reduced.

I think the new Adam on Y&R isn't any better than the old one.

I don't think anyone could have made that new production model on GL work, so I don't hold any grudge against Ellen Wheeler. In fact, I kind of feel bad for her.

sixesses

sixesses

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 5:41 PM

I think the Unpopular Opinion would be to like TGVN.

The soap conspiracy to me is the conspiracy to keep useless people employed when they could keep better actors employed.

I also like TSJ a lot, and thought his scenes with Marty were among his best, she won an emmy for it, and I never could even stand the site of RHowarth. I tried to watch some of his scenes yesterday. Yeesh.

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 7:03 PM

My UOs?

I was always rooting for Gwen over Theresa on Passions.

I'd long wanted Theresa to give wishy-washy Ethan the heave-ho and make a play for, maybe, Noah.

As a black man, I'm liking more black characters showing up on OLTL.

I like Victoria Rowell, but I never saw the appeal of Drucilla on Y&R, for some reason. Didn't hate her, but didn't like her, either.

I actually liked Patrick Lockhart on DAYS and rooted for him whenever Bo went on venom-filled rants against him with no shred of proof of him being a bad guy.

I also have liked Melanie Layton from the beginning on DAYS.

In Bo and Hope's current marital troubles, I'm siding with Hope over Bo.

I like Frankie and Randi both as individuals and as a couple on AMC.

After all of his venom-filled rants on Alison Stewart, I'm so far over Tom Hughes on ATWT (though I still do like Scott Holmes and think he's a terrific actor).

I like Janet, Liberty, and Teri Ciccone on ATWT. And though she can annoy me at times, I still do like Meg Snyder on that same show.

Binks
Ignacio Serrachio (Diego) while a terrible technical actor while on GH was a chemistry magnate.

I actually thought he was terrible with Adrianne Leon's Brook Lynn, but he smoked with Kirsten Storms's Maxie and Julie Marie Berman's Lulu, and I'd have loved it if TPTB had let Diego give it a real shot with either of them.

FlamingWench79

FlamingWench79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

I was always rooting for Gwen over Theresa on Passions.

When I used to watch Passions, I always pulled for Gwen. Even when I quit watching, I was still hoping that Gwen would get her man. I love Lindsey Hartley as an actress but as Theresa, she bugged hard.

Even though he has had many bouts of assholery, I still like Billy and Chloe together on Y&R.

The one and ONLY Craig Montgomery for me will always be Scott Bryce. I absolutely hated Hunt Block's take on Craig.

This is from a few posts ago, but I never understood the mass appeal viewers had for Luke and Laura on GH.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 7:56 PM

I, too, rooted for Gwen over Theresa.

Although I absolutely hated they way GH killed her off in order to get rid of her, I was never a huge Georgie fan. I think they should have let her just go off to college, but I don't really miss the character.

Buzzspark

Buzzspark

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:26 PM

I also wish soaps (the American ones) would stop with writing gay storylines. No, I'm not a homophobe, but I have yet to see anyone really go balls to wall and writing a good, compelling story that is character driven and not all about the "shock value" (I'm looking squarely at you Y&R). I would have much more respect for these writers if they would just admit that they're too chicken to write a gay story, instead of feeding viewers the same line of bs everytime they are questioned about it (looking at you too, Ellen Wheeler). Although, I think OLTL has been doing an ok job (just started watching so I'm trying to play catch up).

I say keep the gay stories coming. I would rather see half-assed than nothing. I think these types of stories appeal to a good part of the audience, gay and straight. Sometimes, you have to start small to create a change. Without Luke and Noah, I doubt there would have been a Fish and Kyle. OLTL is doing the best job I've seen yet. The characters being used started off as small side characters. Through this story, they've been able to add dimension to them while avoiding stereotypes. Just last week Kyle was making out with a guy who wasn't even the other main "gay" in the story. And it wasn't spoiled. It was just a normal part of the episode. It was enough to give me faith the writers are committed to the story so I'm more than willing to go along for the ride.

My gay UO would be that I don't mind cliches like Ameera marrying Noah or Natalia being pregnant with Frank's baby. I want my gays to be treated just like the rest of the characters in soap land. If that means they have to deal with some crappy plot contrivances and annoying third party interlopers then so be it. If the straights have to deal with it then so should the gays.

Edited by Buzzspark, Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:27 PM.

Jack Malloy

Jack Malloy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

For a while, my big unpopular opinions were my hatred of Jarlena and Shelle, but ultimately both couples became pretty unpopular in everyone's opinion, so I think I'm with the majority now.

Steve and Kayla also did nothing for me, and I liked them more individually than together. They're, frankly, just a blonde Bope.

I loathe E.J. and how terribly written he is. I'm a big fan of redeemed villains, but they've botched his terribly. He's a poor man's Jack Deveraux, through and through.

I think, in the grand scheme of things, Tom Langan (HW from 1999 - 2002) did a terrific job. He may not be 80s/early 90s quality and yes, he focused too much on the teens, but he was better than most anyone else post-1993.

On the One Life to Live front, I like Rex and Gigi as characters but hate them as a couple. Gigi shows way more chemistry with Schuyler and I, frankly, have trouble buying Rex as a romantic lead at all. I find David less over-the-top than that guy, sometimes.

I enjoyed the hell out of Tarty. TSJ and SH had such crazy white-hot chemistry that even though I didn't want to love it...I did. I knew it had to end but damn; it was dark and twisty and gnarly in the extreme and took the soapiest of risks. Don't judge me - like the thread title says, there's no accounting for taste.

Here, here. I echo that sentiment exactly. They were awesome together, and while ultimately I know they can't end up together and Todd needs to end up with Blair... still. Amazing chemistry. That's probably my number one unpopular opinion too.

I think TSJ is a brilliant soap actor and when he wants to, he brings a lot to his portrayal of Todd.

That's only an unpopular opinion here, I think. Most places TSJ still remains very popular. I think he is, far and away, the best part of OLTL. He ever leaves, so will I, probably.

And finally, I think in its earliest years Passions was pretty good. James Reilly actually created a good soap and good characters, but he ran it into the ground. But by 2004 it was a shadow of its former self and by 2006/7 it was just unwatchable.

Edited by Jack Malloy, Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:40 PM.

TobinAlbers

TobinAlbers

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:47 PM

Let's see...

I like Sharon on Y&R and still root for Nick and Sharon despite the shoddy writing for their story.

On B&B I love when Stephanie pokes her nose into everyone's business- Brooke and Ridge, Steffi and Rick, Eric and Donna. Susan Flannery just brings it with the drama and rage and it's just so cathartic to watch her tell people off. Even if she's being a hypocrite, LOL.

On DAYS, I want Brady and Nicole, part deux, for Brady to become grayer and embrace his Kiriakis/DiMera roots to battle EJ and Nicole to actually win a man she wants for once.

I rooted for Gwen on Passions and thought Teresa was psychotic and should've never had a happy ending. Also Passion, IMO, was as entertaining and in some cases better than a number of soaps currently on the air. It knew what it was and embraced it and it had diversity and cast interactions that put all the other soaps to shame.

Edited by TobinAlbers, Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:50 PM.