Continuity & Nitpicks: Bite Me, Details

• Please log in to reply

1122 replies to this topic

therelikeme

therelikeme

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

Had to make the thread because of two things I noticed this ep. Both related to football, is it obvious that I'm Texan?

It really stood out to me that everyone calls Mr. Tanner "Mr. Tanner", and he's the football coach. All the coaches I knew of in my schools (and at the one that I work at now) go by Coach at all times, with all the kids. He'd be Coach Tanner in the classroom, not Mr. Tanner. And Stefan calling him Mr. Tanner on the field of all places was bizarre.

Also when Matt was on the field, he had nothing to show that he was the quarterback (I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be?). He just had on his jersey. Quarterbacks wear extra (like the blacks that the "other team" in the plays were wearing over theirs) so that everyone knows where they are on the field so that they won't get tackled by accident.

Edited by therelikeme, Sep 25, 2009 @ 12:21 PM.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 1:54 PM

It really stood out to me that everyone calls Mr. Tanner "Mr. Tanner", and he's the football coach. All the coaches I knew of in my schools (and at the one that I work at now) go by Coach at all times, with all the kids. He'd be Coach Tanner in the classroom, not Mr. Tanner. And Stefan calling him Mr. Tanner on the field of all places was bizarre.

I don't know anything about football, but maybe the "Mr. Tanner" address is deliberate, to indicate how much the students dislike/disrespect him. Tanner is an asshole and I'd have a hard time calling him anything slightly connected to a term of respect or endearment. I think the show went out of its way to highlight what a tyrant he is, not a competent teacher or coach of any kind.

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2009 @ 10:34 PM

The tail of a comet is formed by the solar wind pushing particles away from the comet, and thus, the tail of a comet always points directly away from the Sun. But in the shot of the comet we saw next to the Moon, the comet's tail points to the right, and the right side of the Moon is lit. So, it's basically almost 180 degrees out of whack.

KADC

KADC

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2009 @ 3:17 AM

I think the show went out of its way to highlight what a tyrant he is, not a competent teacher or coach of any kind.

Even given this, I have to agree that "Mr"/"Mrs"/"Ms"/"Miss" was never used for a high school coach when I went to school. We had a coach in high school who was a complete asshole, an incompetent teacher, and a general object of community scorn. He wasn't called "Coach," but was simply referred to by his last name--no Mr. That was how a coach was shown contempt. (And it's not just a Texas thing, since I'm in Arizona.)

Quarterbacks wear extra (like the blacks that the "other team" in the plays were wearing over theirs) so that everyone knows where they are on the field so that they won't get tackled by accident.

Agreed. QBs always wear an extra jersey to prevent being tackled and injured. It's usually colored red, hence the term "redshirt" for college athletes who sit out for a year.

potatotree

potatotree

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 3:54 AM

Oh, Elena. What person these days answers their cell phone these days without checking the caller ID first? And I call total BS that she was able to hear what Pizza Vamp was saying inside that noisy school dance.

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Jan 30, 2010 @ 9:44 PM.

shirarose1

shirarose1

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2010 @ 5:51 PM

Continuity alert -- I just replayed "Children of the Damned" and I realized that Giuseppe called Mr. Lockwood "Barnett" in his meeting with him and Jonathan Gilbert, but in "Unpleasantville", when Damon was writing the list of townspeople who may have kept journals, he wrote "Benjamin" Lockwood -- same person (and a mistake by the show), or two different Lockwoods???

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

So here's my nitpick about the show so far, and there's only one, which is pretty good for me! Only my opinion, take it with a grain of salt if you want.

Because the show is so fast-paced, and one episode usually begins where the last one ends, not a lot of time has passed in the VD universe. Many shows usually have their Christmas / holiday / new years, whatever, to correspond to the real life holiday. This hasn't happened since the Halloween "Haunted" episode, and I doubt we're gonig to see a Christmas in March or April, and I'm kind of disappointed.

I know we get a lot of show in exchange for that formula, but I think it was a missed opportunity to have some human reactions, like can you imagine the Gilbert family dynamic around the first Christmas without the parents? Not that I want to be morbid, but it would give Jenna something to do finally, we'd get some sweet moments of Elena and Stefan together without drama, and then maybe even Damon could get invited over, yay.

shirarose1

shirarose1

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2010 @ 11:45 AM

I totally agree (most recently they missed Valentines Day -- which you would think would be a big deal to two brand new couples -- Stefan/Elena and Caroline/Matt). But, I too will take the fast paced storylines over the day to day real life holidays if I had to choose.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 1:48 PM

I think I noticed a continuity glitch in Unpleasantville - when Elena badgers Stefan about whether he has any pictures of himself from the 50s, and he keeps saying "no" ... it just occurred to me that Elena already saw that newsreel footage of Stefan from the 50s, so she knows perfectly well what he looked like back then.

I don't think she ever told him about the newsreel, so maybe she's just feigning ignorance about what he looked like back then, but I suspect it might have just been an oversight.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 11:39 PM

Another nitpick... in the episode where Stefan traps Damon in the basement after Damon ingests vervain (via Caroline), he makes a point about how keeping him locked up will render him a living corpse, unable to hurt anybody.

Yet, when the discussion of the 27 vampires in the tomb came up, it was a HUGE deal to open the tomb because of all the vampires inside. I think they were overstating how big a threat there really was. Had Katherine been in the tomb, there would have been plenty of time to get her out, and burn the other vampires, who didn't seem to have enough energy to even move, never mind attack.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:08 PM

Just a couple things from A Few Good Men-

When did it magically turn into 2010 in the VD 'verse? The events of so many episodes were back to back, I thought we were still in the fall. Whatever, it didn't hurt the story.

But they were looking for Vampires even before Stefan opened his mouth about the possibility of good vampires. It was only a matter of time before they got caught which is why Pearl wanted to leave on several occasions but stayed around waiting for Katherine to finish playing with the brothers—or being played with by the brothers.... And what happens? She turns around and gets herself out of the tomb and leaves everyone else.

In the webclip for the next episode, Pearl is telling Damon how Mystic Falls is their home, their town, she wants back what was taken from her, essentially. This attitude of Pearls doesn't really jive with how we've seen the town so far. They moved into the town, and were preparing to move on already. So why does she have this attachment, and why does Pearl seem focused on revenge against the town, instead of Katherine, who left her there?. But again, whatever, anything that gets me more Kelly Hu!

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

Yeah, it seems that they went right from Halloween to March. Not that I mind. I don't think this show should really be doing holiday episodes. Maybe maybe, one Christmas one where we can see a bizzaro Stefan/Damon holiday after they were turned. Might be hilarious.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 12:27 AM

@Elli, I don't know that the vampires inside the tomb think Katherine was in any position to save everyone. She could run away because of that one guard she already had under compulsion, but getting everyone out was more difficult as she was vervained at the time. In terms of continuity, it seems previously installed compulsion, at least when old, doesn't require vamp powers, see also vervained Damon and across town Caroline.

I agree that Pearl's statement seems odd though, for the reason you mentioned, and maybe Anna's unhappy face (still so cute though) is about this, the changes the tomb instilled in her mother.

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 10:16 PM

So, 350 year old Lexi was shoot multiple times with wooden bullets and barely staggered, I assumed age had a factor in that. She had also been directly injected with vervain minutes beforehand. Tonight we found out Pearl is pretty old, but was managed to be taken down by what seemed like a single wooden bullet in 1864, with no vervain in her system. Also, every other vampire we've seen passes out/becomes immobile upon vervain entering their system, I again assumed Lexi's age played a factor in her only seeming like she was drugged. But tonight's episode brings up the question of how old Katherine might be given her ringleader status back in 1864 with Pearl, but the vervain had an instant effect on her when she fed from Stefan. It could be ingesting it when drinking blood has a different effect then when it enters a vampires system another way. Still, I would like to see some of these issues with the vervain and age be explained a bit better.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

Maybe Vamp systems have different immunities just like humans. Lexi might have just had very strong immunity. Also, it seems vamps can get drunk so maybe all of Lexi's drinking (helped with the blood lust) helped her fight off the vervain.

Or maybe the writers messed up and just made Lexi too strong. If all the vamps that were captured in 1864 were as strong as Lexi none of them would have been captured at all and we'd have no story now.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 11:03 PM

Tonight we found out Pearl is pretty old, but was managed to be taken down by what seemed like a single wooden bullet in 1864, with no vervain in her system.

I didn't think that was a wooden bullet... I think they shot vervain into her (like a poison dart) ... the vervain at that concentration left her essentially paralyzed.

Maybe the vervain they used on Lexi was weaker than the vervain they used back in 1864. So it still weakened her, but not as strong as what the Bitefest vampires had to contend with.

kj4ever

kj4ever

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 3:59 AM

Logan couldn't go home because there was no one living there to invite him in, yet Pearl and Anna could come in Damon and Stefan's house because no living person lived there.

photoshopgirl

photoshopgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 6:55 PM

Logan couldn't go home because there was no one living there to invite him in, yet Pearl and Anna could come in Damon and Stefan's house because no living person lived there.

Yeah I'm confused on this subject as well. I hope they clear it up so that it makes sense and isn't actually a continuity issue.

Arimalka

Arimalka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 12:41 AM

Okay, so I just watched the whole season in like a two day marathon (heh) and I have a question that may seem extremely stupid, but since the show is all kind of a blur at this point, I'm still confused. As I understand it, in 1864, Katherine wooed the Salvatore brothers until Stefan 'fessed up and the local vamps were pwned by vervain and entombed, at which point both brothers were presumably still human. They've not seen Katherine since. So basically, who sired them? Had Katherine already given them some of her blood and when they died somehow (I'm guessing very shortly after her apparent imprisonment), the change completed? Did another vampire do it? I feel like this has already been answered on the show, but if someone could clarify, that would be great.

Schumiac

Schumiac

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 1:02 AM

Okay, so I just watched the whole season in like a two day marathon (heh) and I have a question that may seem extremely stupid, but since the show is all kind of a blur at this point, I'm still confused. As I understand it, in 1864, Katherine wooed the Salvatore brothers until Stefan 'fessed up and the local vamps were pwned by vervain and entombed, at which point both brothers were presumably still human. They've not seen Katherine since. So basically, who sired them? Had Katherine already given them some of her blood and when they died somehow (I'm guessing very shortly after her apparent imprisonment), the change completed? Did another vampire do it? I feel like this has already been answered on the show, but if someone could clarify, that would be great.

It hasn't been clarified, but the story Damon told Elena of "original Salvatore brothers" during that Founder's day event is probably true. Both brothers rushed to the church trying to save Katherine and got shot in the process and killed.

We know the turning process for a vampire is:
1) be fed from by a vampire
2) be killed when you still have vamp blood in the system
3) feed from a human

and it doesn't matter if the vamp blood is from the vampire that feeds on you, or if you are killed by mistake etc. So, it seems, Salvatore brothers, who were fed from by Katherine and had her blood in their system (probably to help heal so the scars didn't show?) were shot & killed by the vampire hunters, which led to them rising from death as vampire-candidates (and finished the cycle by feeding from someone)...

To be honest, I think Damon's conversation with Logan Fell was also hinting at how things went for Salvatore brothers. When Logan said he woke up in a shallow grave, Damon said "it happens", and when Logan was talking about how it has been a hard "learn as you go" process for him as he had no sire to teach him how to be a vampire, Damon is nodding (which I took to be a "I know/been there" kind of nod). Damon probably knew a bit more about how to be a vampire as Katherine was kind of showing him tricks and all, but I do believe Stefan & Damon also had to go through their own "learn as you go" processes as little vamps.

Edited by Schumiac, Apr 3, 2010 @ 1:04 AM.

shirarose1

shirarose1

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 3:26 PM

There's also the question of how old Anna is -- if Pearl had her before she was turned, Anna would have to be 400 years old too, but we saw from her altercation with Damon in the motel room that Anna and Damon appear to be equally strong, which would make them around the same age. If that's the case, Anna couldn't be Pearl's biological daughter, since in TVD universe, vampires can't procreate. All of that begs the question -- how are Pearl and Anna related (if at all) and who turned Anna back in 1864?

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

My thought is that Pearl and Anna (and Logan. Didn't Anna say she was one of the Fells?) are related in the same way that Elena and Katherine are related. If they reveal how the Fells are related, that would undercut the bigger reveal of Elena and Katherine's relationship, so they are holding back for now. Note also that the "vamps are sterile" info came from Damon. Pearl and Katherine may have found a way around that like with the daywalker rings and just didn't get around to telling Damon before Bitefest 1864.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

Elena's dad's office was indeed in Mystic Falls. So, am I go accept that the Gilberts illegally adopted Elena passed her off as their own and nobody in Mystic Falls batted an eyelash or talked about it in front of Elena?

Jeez that is one tight knit community.

FromReality

FromReality

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 6:05 PM

Yea, that is pretty weird. Did they hide Elena and had her mom pretend she was pregnant for a while? How did nobody ever say anything to or in front of Elena?

Douggley

Douggley

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

Elena has been drugging Jeremy and Jenna's food with vervain, correct? Enough vervain that it prevented Frederick from feeding on Jenna. So why was Anna able to drink from Jeremy? Or did Elena stop drugging Jeremy after she gave him that vervain bracelet?

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 1:50 PM

The assumption is that they are only carrying the vervaine on their bodies, but not ingesting it. Carrying vervaine like this keeps vamps from glamouring them but doesn't "poison" their blood. Fred only noticed that he couldn't glamour her which meant that she was carrying vervaine. So he didn't bite her because chances he thought that if she is carrying vervaine maybe she's eating it too (even when reality they don't which is why Anna can drink from Jeremy but if she tried to glamour him she probably wouldn't be successful, but since she likes him she hasn't tried).

Speaking of Anna/Jeremy... I really liked the conversation they had about his bracelet, but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me. Elena is hiding her vamp connection from Jeremy, but Anna knows that Elena looks like Katherine and that she's going around with the Salvatore boys. And Elena was captured by Anna, so she knows that Anna is a vamp. So, would it really be this easy for Elena to not notice that Jeremy is hanging out with Anna? I mean, wouldn't there be school gossip about them? Doesn't Jenna know about Anna? I'm trying to remember, doesn't even Elena know that Jeremy and Anna interacted about the founder's journal? So by that logic, doesn't it take only one person to tell Elena "Oh, btw, that Anna girl I saw Jeremy with..." since Elena already knows that Anna is a vamp, she only doesn't know that Jeremy is still meeting with her?

femlyn2

femlyn2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

First, let me say that the people who are responsible for the scenes matching in this show do an amazing job. If you read this thread, the points brought up are minimal and ususally more theoretical (i.e. coach vs. Mr.). [I've watched Twilight more than a few times and am shocked at how the clothes, hair, cars, etc. move from shot to shot.]

Nitpicks from "Let The Right One In:"
- Caroline's car in the rain. The windshield wipers are going different speeds depending on whether she was viewed from outside or inside the car in the same scene.
- Jeremy's unbandaged hand that was just sliced had no trouble holding a toothbrush to brush with in the scene in the bathroom with Elena. In the next scene, the hand is bandaged up. Sure, he could have added the bandage after brushing, but shouldn't the hand be a bit tender? Mine would be if I had a big knife slice across it and then be sucked on by vampire. (Did you catch that he's a lefty for toothbrushing but a righty for hand slicing?)

ETA: I watched the Jeremy post-hand cutting bathroom scene again and I was wrong. They are filming it into the mirror (with Jeremy's "real" elbow poking out at one point). No nitpick and no hand shifting!

Edited by femlyn2, Apr 27, 2010 @ 6:10 AM.

hardcoreWWnut

hardcoreWWnut

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 8:28 PM

Speaking of Anna/Jeremy... I really liked the conversation they had about his bracelet, but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me. Elena is hiding her vamp connection from Jeremy, but Anna knows that Elena looks like Katherine and that she's going around with the Salvatore boys. And Elena was captured by Anna, so she knows that Anna is a vamp. So, would it really be this easy for Elena to not notice that Jeremy is hanging out with Anna? I mean, wouldn't there be school gossip about them? Doesn't Jenna know about Anna? I'm trying to remember, doesn't even Elena know that Jeremy and Anna interacted about the founder's journal? So by that logic, doesn't it take only one person to tell Elena "Oh, btw, that Anna girl I saw Jeremy with..." since Elena already knows that Anna is a vamp, she only doesn't know that Jeremy is still meeting with her?

See, you're assuming they communicate like a normal family ;). I agree with you that Elena should know but Anna seems intent on keeping the relationship quite. I don't get the impression that Elena and Jeremy (or Jenna for that matter) talk to each other very much. Elena has a lot going on (hasn't even told Jeremy she's adopted yet!) so I don't see her getting very involved in his social life. Plus, since Anna doesn't attend MFHS and Jeremy doesn't have any friends, I doubt anyone knows he and Anna are together. I also think that Elena assumed that Anna's interest in Jeremy were purely related to opening the tomb, I don't think she knows Anna and Jeremy began seeing each other again. Looking forward to Elena finding out; should be interesting.

Semi-related to the above (sorry if this was mentioned before...) I was rather annoyed with Jenna for not noticing that Elena slept at Stefan's house! Maybe she lied and said she was with Bonnie or Caroline but it still seemed odd. Really reinforces the lack of parental supervision. -Not that I'm complaining, Gilbert families dinners with the current members could get a tad dull.

Nitpick from LTROI: Where the heck did they get all the vervain?! Ropes soaked in it, darts... is there a vervain nursery in MF that Damon doesn't know about? I would expect that if recently entombed vampires and Alaric could find so much, surely the Founder's Council would've gotten some too. Also, shouldn't Stefan's body/eyes have been steaming when the vervain was applied (like Katherine's skin)?

First, let me say that the people who are responsible for the scenes matching in this show do an amazing job. If you read this thread, the points brought up are minimal and ususally more theoretical (i.e. coach vs. Mr.). [I've watched Twilight more than a few times and am shocked at how the clothes, hair, cars, etc. move from shot to shot.]

Totally agree with you! I've had a very minor issues but I've found that most "nitpicks" are intentional. Kevin and Julie are amazing when it comes to continuity and I've found TVD highlights (as you said about Twilight) how bad other shows/movies are with conflicting plot points and editing. Also, if it wasn't so good, I doubt we'd over-analysis it enough to find minor nitpicks!

Edited by hardcoreWWnut, Apr 11, 2010 @ 8:31 PM.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2010 @ 2:08 AM

doesn't it take only one person to tell Elena "Oh, btw, that Anna girl I saw Jeremy with..."

Noone but Elena, the Salvatores and Bonnie know Anna, and Bonnie is away from town.

I can believe that others haven't really noticed Anna hanging out a lot with Jeremy, they haven't been in public all that much to draw attention as a couple, and Anna could be believed to be just a classmate of Jeremy's.

shouldn't Stefan's body/eyes have been steaming when the vervain was applied (like Katherine's skin)

That and the lack of a trace during the rescue was a nitpick of mine too. Even with blood, it took Damon hours to heal his gauged eyes, yet weakened Stefan's acid-melted eye was fine.

Speaking of vervain, wasn't Jenna wearing it as perfume (or maybe I just got that impression because I've been talking about vervain perfume before)? Freddy smelled it on her and we haven't seen vampires do that before with the plant itself - Damon didn't know Alaric had crushed vervain in his hand, Anna seemed to know only when touching Jeremy's bracelet, etc.

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2010 @ 5:43 AM

So, shouldn't the blood bank start to worry soon, when lots of blood mysteriously has started to disappear? They keep very good track of donated blood because of infections and so on. And does the little town of Mystic Falls have its own blood bank, or is it from another hospital "near by"?