Ratings and Scheduling Issues: We Are All Prophets Now

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

172 replies to this topic

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 9:36 AM

Can't wait to see how much audience Flash Forward premiere scored.

Meanwhile, 11 European counties have sealed the deal with Disney to broadcast the show. Flash Forward starts premiering outside U.S. next week.

TVbyTheNumbers:

Based on the always very preliminary metered market ratings ABC’s FlashForward won the 8pm hour with a 7.6/13 (household rating/share), besting Survivor: Samoa (6.0/10) by over 25%

FOX’s Bones had a 5.6/9, but Fringe (3.6/6) wasn’t as lucky at 9pm facing off against Grey’s Anatomy & CSI (both with (9.9/16). Fringe is down from last week’s 4.8/8 in the early metered markets.

It’s not possible to accurately convert the preliminary household ratings into viewers and demographic viewing, but all signs point to a very decent opening for FlashForward and lower numbers from Fringe than it got last week. By comparison, last week Survivor: Samoa had a 6.1/10 in the early metered markets and wound up with 11.5 million and a 3.5 adults 18-49 rating in the fast national overnight numbers. We’ll see those fast nationals for last night within a couple of hours, and will post the full night’s details with viewer and adults 18-49 rating in our normal overnight post once the information is available.

holtz

holtz

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:53 AM

From Berman:

8:00 p.m.

ABC – FlashForward (series premiere)
Viewers: 12.13 million (#1), A18-49: 3.8 rating/12 share (#1)

CBS – Survivor: Samoa
Viewers: 11.36 million (#2), A18-49: 3.4/10 (#2)

NBC – SNL Weekend Update Thursday
Viewers: 4.66 million (#4), A18-49: 1.8/ 5 (#4)

Fox – Bones
Viewers: 8.60 million (#3), A18-49: 2.6/ 8 (#3)

CW – The Vampire Diaries
Viewers: 3.73 million (#5), A18-49: 1.7/ 5 (#5)

----------

8:30 p.m.

ABC – FlashForward (series premiere)
Viewers: 12.70 million (#1), A18-49: 4.3/12 (#1)

CBS – Survivor: Samoa
Viewers: 12.38 million (#2), A18-49: 4.0/11 (#2)

NBC – Parks and Recreation
Viewers: 4.22 million (#4), A18-49: 1.8/ 5 (#4t)

Fox – Bones
Viewers: 9.01 million (#3), A18-49: 2.8/ 8 (#3)

CW – The Vampire Diaries
Viewers: 3.89 million (#5), A18-49: 1.8/ 5 (#4t)

Looking good for FlashForward.

Ripley68

Ripley68

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

Glad it was number one. I was worried last night when there so few posts.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 1:45 PM

Strong start, both ratings and content-wise. I think it'll hang onto those numbers to a large degree next week and not suffer the common second-episode-free-fall.

rainar

rainar

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 3:19 PM

Yeah, given the positive audience reaction I think almost all of the viewers will be sticking around. Does anyone know if ABC will be re-airing the premiere? I think it would be smart of them to capitalize on the positive buzz and possibly snag some more viewers.

easjer

easjer

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 3:31 PM

Re-airs tonight, as a matter of fact. I think still at 8 pm (7 central) but not 100% positive and too lazy to go double check. ; )

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

It looks like it picked up quite a good number of viewers from the Friday repeat as well. I believe that this is the only week that they will be showing repeats on Friday because next week Ugly Betty starts back up. It puts the premiere in the range of 17m viewers, not bad at all.

Does anyone know how similar shows premiered? I am curious what kind of drop off in viewers we should expect over the next few weeks.

growltiger

growltiger

Couch Potato

• Interests:Remaining alive.

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 2:57 PM

If memory serves, I think both Heroes and Lost received similar treatment. (Either repeated on Friday or Saturday; for a time in the first series Heroes was even repeated on the then named SciFi Channel.) It is not unusual for networks to do this especially since Friday and Saturday nights are such wastelands for the networks.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 11:32 AM

Flashforward finished second this week, behind survivor, but both shows tied in the 18-49 with a 3.7 Pretty solid numbers.

ABC: "FlashForward" (10.8 million, 6.7/11)

Lizardbeth J

Lizardbeth J

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

Looks like ABC is replaying the second episode tonight (fri) at 8.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

This time FF came in 3rd place, after Survivor and Bones, but it did tie in the 18-49 with Survivor with a 3.4

FlashForward" (9 million, 5.9/9)

Not exactly stellar numbers, but not too bad either

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 5:28 PM

The erosion of nearly 4 million viewers from the premiere to now bother me a bit. I hope the numbers don't continue to go down.

Perhaps after the baseball playoffs we'll see the numbers recover a little and we can settle in to a decent number of viewers. Something over 10 million consistently will make me a feel a bit more secure about the longetivity of the show.

Edited by SanLynn, Oct 9, 2009 @ 5:29 PM.

growltiger

growltiger

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 5:49 PM

So on Thursday, 8 October 2009, FlashForward would have been competing with the National League Division Series in the Central and Eastern timezones and the American League Division Series in the west. Both games featured teams from major markets (Los Angeles, St. Louis, & Boston). And this year the baseball season ends in November. So I would expect the numbers to be wonky going into sweeps.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2009 @ 6:20 PM

The Friday night viewing numbers seem to be consistent though, about 3 million each time.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

Well, the numbers are strong enough that the show got a full-season pickup, so I guess we get to see what really happens on April 29.

easjer

easjer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 12:52 PM

Any ideas on online and dvr numbers?

growltiger

growltiger

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 4:49 PM

There is an interesting article here that observes how online viewing is up 25% compared to last year. So, with regards to your question, if a rising tide raises all boats...

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 9:02 AM

DVR numbers normally start rolling in a few weeks after the original airing of the show. An article on USA Today mentioning how most shows are seeing benefits from the newly released DVR numbers. I have to wonder how much the networks consider these numbers as they probably don't have many DVRers who watch the commercials. I guess DVR numbers matter more for shows that do more product placements instead of straight commercials/

Popular programs in competitive time slots continue to be the most heavily recorded. Grey's, CSI, The Office and Fringe, all airing at 9 ET/PT Thursday, are among the biggest gainers. ABC's FlashForward was the most heavily recorded new-series premiere, adding 2 million late viewers (16%); NCIS: LA gained 1.8 million (10%).

GoBruins

GoBruins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 2:08 PM

Ratings info for last night's episode.

Prime: ABC won Thursday for the 4th straight week among Adults 18-49 (4.0/11), beating second-place CBS by 14% (3.5/10), while topping NBC (2.4/7) and Fox (2.4/6) by 67% in a third-place tie.

8-9pm: Growing week to week, ABC freshman FlashForward finished a strong second to CBS' Survivor in Adults 18-49 (3.1/9), leading Fox's veteran Bones by 19% (2.6/7), and NBC's comedies (Community/Parks and Recreation) by 55% (2.0/6). FlashForward won its hour for the 4th week in a row with Adults 18-34, leading Survivor by 33% (2.8/9 vs. 2.1/7). FlashForward surged 12% week-to-week in Adults 18-34.

I guess we're supposed to be expecting lower numbers because of baseball. Last night was Game 1 of the NLCS (Phillies vs. Dodgers).

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2009 @ 11:48 AM

This week the show finnished 3rd, behind Survivor and Game 5 on FOX. Survivor won the 18-49 demo with a 4.0 Still, the numbers aren't too bad, considering many FF viewers might have prefered to watch the game live.

ABC: "FlashForward" (9.8 million, 6.2/10)

Edited by HouseBroken, Oct 23, 2009 @ 11:50 AM.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2009 @ 12:09 PM

FF and Survivor took hits this week, thanks to the World Series game 2. Not fantastic numbers, but considering the extra competition not too bad either.

FOX: World Series Game 2 - Phillies at Yankees (17.3 million viewers, 10.6/17 households)
CBS: "Survivor: Samoa" (12.5 million, 7.1/11)
ABC: "FlashForward" (9 million, 5.7/9)
NBC: "Community" (5.5 million, 3.6/6)/"Parks and Recreation" (5 million, 3.2/5)
The CW: "The Vampire Diaries" (4.2 million, 2.6/4)

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 12:10 PM

Second at 8 p.m. was ABC’s FlashForward (Viewers: 8.47 million; A18-49: 2.6/ 7), but the slowly declining freshman entry barely beat Fox’s competing Bones (Viewers: #3, 8.46 million; A18-49: #3, 2.5/ 7).

http://pifeedback.co...451/m/436106352
Ouch- Bones might beat it in the finals. It barely did better in the demo than an average episode of Castle.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 12:32 PM

I don't get why this show keeps bleeding viewers week to week. It's good, the story is engaging, surely better than any procedural...Still, a second place, fragile as it may be, should be no cause for imediate worry. What surprises me is, the overall viewership seems to be down in the 8-9 hour, because, even the once great survivor managed to win with mild numbers, besides, isn't this show one that improves the most from DVR ratings? Those should count for something.

Edited by HouseBroken, Nov 6, 2009 @ 12:35 PM.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

Still, a second place, fragile as it may be, should be no cause for imediate worry.

I don't think any of us are worried that Flashforward might be yanked immediately- ABC has much bigger problems to worry about with Eastwick and the Forgotten. We're definitely going to get a full season. But if we keep losing viewers at this rate,we might not get a second season.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 1:18 PM

I don't think any of us are worried that Flashforward might be yanked immediately- ABC has much bigger problems to worry about with Eastwick and the Forgotten. We're definitely going to get a full season. But if we keep losing viewers at this rate,we might not get a second season.

I agree. I am sure that we will get to see all episodes of this season (I think 22 were ordered) but another season is sure questionable. All I hope is that is ABC isn't planning on renewing it that well, they let the show runners know earlier. I would hate to end a season on a cliff hanger only not to ever find out.

Another problem I see is that although it has fans, they aren't anywhere near to the obsessed level as say LOST.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 2:32 PM

I was never worried about this season. I assume once it got picked up, the network is obligated to make or at least pay for them (I think they ordered 25). What I meant was beyond the first year, because, let's face it, this being a serialized tale, there's gonna be much left to be told, if they have to stop after 25. I thought the function of hugely popular procedurals like GA was to pay for good but less well performing shows. I hope it comes in handy for FF, because, it certainly is deserving, even if it comes still miles away from LOST.

Edited by HouseBroken, Nov 6, 2009 @ 2:33 PM.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

Before the appearance of V, FlashForward was the new scifi darling of the season. In October, its adults 18-49 ratings seemed to have stabilized in the renewal-worthy 3.0/3.1 range, but its last two airings have fallen to a 2.7 (against the World Series) and a 2.6 rating.

If it doesn’t recover from that 2.6 rating, its future on next season’s schedule is in doubt. And if the ratings go lower than that, its got no future at all.

http://tvbythenumber...ds-future/32911

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 2:41 PM

If it doesn’t recover from that 2.6 rating, its future on next season’s schedule is in doubt. And if the ratings go lower than that, its got no future at all.

Wow, bitchslapping it already? not cool. It's far too early to be saying things like this, since, as the text pointed out, that lower rating was against the world series. Besides, no matter how good V is (and it is) it's about to go on a forced hiatus until March, so I'd say the chances of this show taking the lead again are greater, though, personally, I hope both shows survive the season, since they are damn good TV.

Edited by HouseBroken, Nov 7, 2009 @ 2:42 PM.

lambertman

lambertman

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

As the text actually pointed out, the rating was lower the week AFTER the WS, than the week it was against it.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 8:36 PM

As the text actually pointed out, the rating was lower the week AFTER the WS, than the week it was against it.

Even so, this week, that hour was generally lower rated across the board. I think survivor garned the first place with a 12 share. Certainly better than FF, but those aren't numbers that are usually associated with a first place show. I'm not sure what the general expectations are for networks at that hour, but they must be below those of the later hours of the night, seeing that less people seemed to be tuned to TV at that point. Have we had the final results yet? it should be interesting to see if FF distanced itself from Bones or if it went the other way.