JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Victory sip!

Arizhuman

Arizhuman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Is it a coincidence(considering the Cougar Town/Community cross references)that both shows took shots(no pun intended)at pretentious photography within a week? Britta is a bad photographer and the statement was made that "Just because it's in black and white, doesn't mean it's good". And now Travis trying to take the beauty out of beauty. Maybe the Cougar Town and Community creators just come out bad in pictures and are bitter.

godonlyknows

godonlyknows

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

It's definitely a coincidence they aired within a week of each other considering how both shows have been juggled around in the schedule. Saying that, I preferred Britta's photos - trying to take photos of waffles seems far more appealing that severed toes.

Few questions:
What happened to Laurie's twitter boyfriend Wade?
Are Jules and Grayson going to move in together?
Was Grayson really expecting 15 year old pore strips to work?

tiggertwo

tiggertwo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:31 AM

I'm kind of sick of the green screen filming at Travis's place. It's just a one note joke. It was funny the first time, but now it leaves me cold. And I hate Ellie. I didn't like her character on Scrubs or here.

I did love Biore strips though, and yeah, you always have to see what the strip looks like after it comes off. That's part of the fun.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:03 AM

I ain't gonna lie - I STILL buy those Biore strips at Target. I'm with Grayson too - you have to look at them afterward! A company I used to work for made the same strips but for a department store makeup company. One day, QA had to reject a bunch of the pore strips because the little cut tab was on the wrong side so they let us have all the rejects for free and it was AWESOME.

I don't know why they had Simon Says in that drawer though. That was much more of an 80s thing.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:04 AM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Is it wrong that I have the Simon Says app on my phone?

I thought there were some funny moments. I kind of still like the green screen - 'sometimes I just feel like punching sharks'.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Anyone else think that Ellie is just a plain old bitch?

Yup. She remains my least favorite character.

I don't mind it, I mean she is not my friend, she is a funny bitchy fictional character I watch on TV. I don't need to like her to laugh at her.

I thought the episode was pretty funny, not as funny as the last few though. I love how we got more indication that Jules is pretty much just as dumb as Bobby. I mean the baby proofing was funny, but the best was "Fleetwood Mac married Stevie Nicks". I laughed a lot at that. Although again I wonder, Jules doens't know shit about movies, hates books and now apparently doens't know much about music either. If that is the case what does she do with all her spare time when Ellie is with her baby and Laurie is out being slutty. And I really want to know what she did with her time back when she was pregnant and couldn't drink.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Is it wrong that I have the Simon Says app on my phone?

If it's wrong then I don't want to be right (translation: I have that app too and it's awesome!).

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:24 AM.

azathoth

azathoth

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I clearly missed a joke somewhere this season, because last year Bobby sold Penny Can and made enough money to finally get a real apartment. Why the hell is he back living on his boat? I am assuming he blew all his cash on some ludicrous thing but I missed it.

"You're gonna have to leave."
"I'm naked under this blanket."
"Let's do this."

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I clearly missed a joke somewhere this season, because last year Bobby sold Penny Can and made enough money to finally get a real apartment.

I wondered that too. But Laurie bought a condo at some point but she's still in the same place (or she still talks about renting. I've forgotten what exactly sounded wrong to me during a recent rewatch) so they have a history of forgetting where people live.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Kevin! I missed him.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Busy really made the Laurie cakes, right? I know that's a hobby of hers. Who played the mom? If she was famous, she's had too much plastic surgery for me to recognize her.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

I recognized the mom, but I can't remember her name. She is famous, or at least was famous. I'm too lazy to check IMDB to get her name. I remember seeing her in an episode of Two & a Half men, she dated Charlie (please dont judge, I was playing Penny Can & it just happened!)

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I loved the scene with Ellie and Stan and Stan stealing the mailbox and Jules encouraging him to keep going. Comedy gold!

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Susan Blakely played Ellie's mom. She's also Ben Sherman's mom on Southland.

Edited by dubbel zout, Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:52 PM.

godonlyknows

godonlyknows

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:35 AM

Andy's reason for loving Ellie - she still has all her fingers.

I thought this episode started off slow but by the time Chick showed up I was giggling almost constantly. I also loved his sweet talk with Jules at the end about family.

ETA: At the end of the episode Jules is wearing the same grey top Britta wore in Remedial Chaos Theory.

Edited by godonlyknows, Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:37 AM.

seveneightnine

seveneightnine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I so love a show that can make me laugh out loud several times an episode and still be so poignant. Laurie's reason for not wanting to sell her cakes- If I try and fail, my dream will be gone, but as long as I don't try it's still my dream. That is so amazingly close to something I might concoct in my own twisted head.
p.s. I loved the spur of the moment Civil War statue reinactment.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

p.s. I loved the spur of the moment Civil War statue reinactment.

That and the security guard's reaction. Too funny.

Also Andy being a Cuban middle finger and Jules as Alice Cooper were very funny too. Overall, I thought the episode was very good.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Susan Blakely, wow thanks. Yes, it's been decades since I've seen her, but she looks nipped and tucked out of recognizability. Great choice for Ellie's mom, since her daughter has the same plastic surgery look.

Edited by braggtastic, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:20 PM.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Have we ever learned what "Ellie" is short for? I wonder if she was named Elizabeth after her mother.

godonlyknows

godonlyknows

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

On Wikipedia, it says her full name is Elisabeth but it's never been stated on the show. Her driver's licence has her as "Ellie Torres" but then Jules' name is "Jules Kiki Cobb" on hers when her full name is Julia.

I've only ever known people called Ellie if their real name was Eleanor - if they were Elizabeth they were Liz, Lizzie or Beth.

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

I like Bobby as a character, but does it seem to you that they are showing an awful lot of his chest and abs this season? Not entirely complaining but nobody else get the same exposure. Is there something I should know?

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

ETA: At the end of the episode Jules is wearing the same grey top Britta wore in Remedial Chaos Theory.

And Ellie was wearing the anchor blouse Leslie Knope wore on Parks and Rec.

Mathewt

Mathewt

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

I like Bobby as a character, but does it seem to you that they are showing an awful lot of his chest and abs this season? Not entirely complaining but nobody else get the same exposure. Is there something I should know?

I don't know, but when I watch season 1, I notice (and enjoy) that there is a LOT of male toplessness. You get Bobby, Andy, Grayson, plus 2-3 of Jules's various boytoys/boyfriends.

Edited by Mathewt, Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:34 PM.

FleeceBlanket

FleeceBlanket

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

I thought this episode started off slow but by the time Chick showed up I was giggling almost constantly. I also loved his sweet talk with Jules at the end about family.

Yeah, I really appreciate the show's emphasis on friendships, and how you can make a family out of them that's stronger in many ways than one's blood relationships.

I enjoyed the Grayson/Laurie/Andy plotline this week. Grayson has come across as a little too schmoopy the last few weeks, and I liked seeing a little bit of irritable, mean Grayson. And Andy made such a great supporting character to this, as he so often does.

Edited by FleeceBlanket, Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:42 AM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I love the show saying that blood relations still have to earn their place in each other's lives. The idea that no matter how horrible someone is, you still have to embrace them? Ruined many a TV show and many a real person's life.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Watching an ep of Judging Amy from 2001, and there's Dan Byrd, as a 16-year-old who decides at the last moment he doesn't want to be adopted by his longtime foster parents, because he's sure the mother who abandoned him will someday return and want him back. You can infer that there's a not a snowball's chance of this happening, based on what his social worker says, but he insists.

He is simply adorable! I can fanwank that, in the face of his 16-year-old cuteness, Jules would never want to let him go.

Edited by voiceover, Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:49 PM.

SiobhanJW

SiobhanJW

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

http://www.vulture.c...ns-reunion.html

Maybe this will get us another season!! Haha

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Something I have always loved about Michelle Williams is how she has always promoted Busy Phillips as she has ascended. Bringing her to awards shows and mentioning her in interviews all of the time. I think it is sweet how she has tried to use her fame to help her friends.

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

The funniest part of the ep was when Jules realized the value of joined finances and went to Grayson's bar and pulled Laurie's pay out of the cash register. She then handed it to Laurie, who then snatched a hamburger, and passed the money right back to Grayson. "I just figured out the economy."

I also liked everyone going to the therapist's office, including Ellie, who I'm not sure if she was even invited to the Jules/Grayson session. Then they stole the therapist's lip balm.