Cougar Town

• Please log in to reply

3535 replies to this topic

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:46 AM

Josh Hopkins...I don't think his occasional presence will be enough to get me to sit through this dreck on a weekly basis.

I'm guessing that he will be a very frequent and prominent character and it seems obvious to me that he will eventually end up with Cournty Cox.

Jr82

Jr82

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:33 AM

Well no wet blanket needed for me. I loved it. Yes, it has rooms to improve, but I liked the tone of the show. That's what I watch pilot's for. To see if liek the style and set up of the show enough to stick around. Pilot are almost always sucky just because of all the set up.

If you pay attention, IMO, this show isn't really about cougars on the prowl for younge men. It is about a women that missed her primary dating years and is now getting out there and having the fun she missed out on.

Yes there will be a good amount of sexual humor on this show. I thought that was obvious from the promos, so i'm shocked or annoyed by that.

Cox's son is really funny though. He was great in the short lived Aliens in America. He still has it here.

Also ,no the guy Cox was hooking up with was not a teenager.

Lastly, how many show will Josh Hopkins pop up on before he gets a steady gig. ABC, especially, must have him on a retainer.

luna33

luna33

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:49 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in this one. I luv 'Scrubs', so figured another Bill Lawrence show would be good. I luv the cast, mostly. Christa Miller as Jordan2 is funny as always, no matter how scary her face is, and I am always fond of Busy Phillips. But CC is very yelly and shrieky in this...surely she'll tone that down? Maybe not. Mostly, tho, it's the premise that's insulting and lame: all single women over 40 are desperate and pathetic and don't know how to live without a man. It's Sex and the City light.

I do think all women have their own insecurities, but it's also hard to feel sorry for teensy little CC gazing with disgust upon her slim but supposedly flabby body and needing the lights off for sex. We should all look so gross naked.

I'm a forty-something woman who's been thru a divorce, who lives with my years younger longterm boyfriend, and I have friends of many ages and walks: married, divorced, single, older, younger, mothers, not mothers...so I'd guess this show is aimed at my demographic. But, based upon the pilot, it's not hitting any marks with me. I don't need my comedic characters to be completely realistic, but somewhat relatable would be nice. I'll probably watch another time or two to see if it evens out, but I dunno. The title alone is wretched.

Edited by luna33, Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:50 AM.

converse1973

converse1973

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:50 AM

Well, I liked the guy the Courtney Cox character was going to blow. He was really cute. Her son was funny. Other than that, I was underwhelmed, too. It was frenetic, as someone already said. Also...

Courtney Cox kept screaming every punchline. It made her look ridiculous.

What was that about. Is that how she was on Friends? It's been a long time since I watched a rerun of that show, but it was too much. Also I wasn't a big fan of her saying that the bouncer was really black and that it looked good on him. What she said was true, but it out of nowhere. Would have been funnier if he told her how good her white skin looked on here. Actually, never mind, it wouldn't have been funnier.

I might give it one more chance next week, but I've heard better raunchy jokes/sexual humor.

ETA: What is Cox's character's problem anyway? Why is she so insecure/desperate? She starts the show grabbing parts of her like she's old and broken, but then she's showing off her sexy body to neighbors and cute guy she left at the bar. She's hot, single, has a nice house, has friends....? Is her main problem that she's 40? A sexy 40-something year old woman who has to sleep with younger men? Who was judging her other than the neighbor who was kind of minding his own business? I don't get it.

Edited by converse1973, Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:56 AM.

thegourmez

thegourmez

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:52 AM

I was underwhelmed. Way too frantic and too much high-pitched shrieking from the main character for me. I do like the son, though I worry that he's a bit too well-adjusted. I really like having the ex in the picture and having him be an obvious idiot who knows it. I'll give it a few more weeks to grab me.

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:45 PM

Also I wasn't a big fan of her saying that the bouncer was really black and that it looked good on him.

That was to illustrate a point. Just prior to that, one of the other characters was voicing-over that CC very often speaks without thinking. That's when we see the bouncer clip as an example of her ability to put her foot in her mouth.

Kittenrescue

Kittenrescue

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

How old is CC supposed to be? She said 40 at one point, but didn't she also tell the guy at the bar she got pregnant at 19 or 20? I'm assuming her son is her only child, and since she's driving him to school I'm saying he's 15 at most, she wouldn't be older than 35.

I think CC looks great for her age, but to make this show make sense she should be playing closer to 45, which I think is her actual age.

I also did the 'math' and it didn't add up.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

I found it mediocre, and probably wouldn't have watched except for the Bill Lawrence connection. It was OK, I'll give it another chance or two, but... yeah.

It is about a women that missed her primary dating years and is now getting out there and having the fun she missed out on.

So isn't that The New Adventures of Old Christine?

I do think all women have their own insecurities, but it's also hard to feel sorry for teensy little CC gazing with disgust upon her slim but supposedly flabby body and needing the lights off for sex. We should all look so gross naked.

Yeah, this may be the most ridiculous case of 'TV ugly' I've ever seen.

mad_typist

mad_typist

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:05 PM

This show was fucking terrible.

I loved CC on Friends, but I agree with the people who had a problem understanding what her main grievance was. She came across as very shrill - who screams at a random neighbor like that, who she seems to only have a passing acquaintance with? And why is she upset about her insanely hot bodY?

Ugh.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:59 PM

Is that how she was on Friends?

In later seasons, yes. She was very shrill and yell-y. Earlier on she was the straight woman to everyone else's craziness.

it's also hard to feel sorry for teensy little CC gazing with disgust upon her slim but supposedly flabby body

I swear they were using body doubles for the close up shots of body parts. There's no way the taut stomach on display twice in those underwear shots was as large as it was made to be in close ups when it was being grabbed for flab measurement. Just like in nudity shots, if I can't see the actress's face at the same time, I assume it isn't her.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 2:42 PM

I didn't hate it, and I will watch again, but I expected it to be better. I think my main problem was Courtney Cox. Shrill is a good word to describe her character. I wasn't a fan of Friends, but I caught some of the later episodes and found Cox to be unbearable. (I liked her in Scream, though.)

My favorite character, and the reason I will watch again, is the son. He was great. When his father was mowing the lawn at his school, I found myself wishing the show was a teen comedy about the son. (I liked him in Alien's in America, too.)

I find something about Busy Phillips really funny. I usually love the other actress from Scrubs when she's on Scrubs. I wasn't too crazy about her here. Did she have face work done? I was distracted by that.

Whenever I watch the the first two episodes of the first season of The Golden Girls, I'm always shocked by how loud and overbearing Bea Arthur comes off. She reined it in soon after and I adored her character in every single episode after those two. It's because of that, I like to give comedies I'm interested in several episodes before I give up on them. I think/hope Cox will rein it in soon and the show will hit its stride.

I hope they tighten up the stuff with the neighbor. Those scenes seemed wrong and weird. Love the younger f*ckbuddy, though.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:14 PM

I swear they were using body doubles for the close up shots of body parts. There's no way the taut stomach on display twice in those underwear shots was as large as it was made to be in close ups when it was being grabbed for flab measurement. Just like in nudity shots, if I can't see the actress's face at the same time, I assume it isn't her.

I am almost 99% positive I read a quote from her where she said those shots were all of her body - no doubling or editing.

thegourmez

thegourmez

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:35 PM

I am almost 99% positive I read a quote from her where she said those shots were all of her body - no doubling or editing.

I think I remember her talking about it on The Tonight Show with Conan. Pretty sure it was her and really, it didn't look flabby or large to me in the close-ups. Anyone can find some fat to pull if forced to.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:47 PM

I think I expected Cox to be more shrill (based on the last seasons of Friends) and I didn't find her nearly as hard to take here. I think the show managed to make Jules' sense of confusion and betrayal understandable without dropping too many anvils. (Although Jules's speech about "do you know what it's like to be a 40-year-old woman?" was pretty damned heavy on the exposition.) And I had the impression that Jules and Grayson have known each other long enough that he's not just some random neighbour she's howling at. (Would he send her a photo of himself in footie pyjamas if he didn't know her pretty well? I'm not sure it's really going to cheer her up, but still.)

And if I were in her position? That rancid-looking ex-husband would never set foot in my house again. Ick.

I dunno - maybe I'm easy 'cause I'm a fan of Bill Lawrence, but I'm willing to at least see if the show can dial back the volume a bit.

Edited by Sandman, Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:48 PM.

Cracked Muse

Cracked Muse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:51 PM

Idiotic, shrill, stupid. Beyond improbable even in the sitcom universe. The premise is workable, but Cox is the problem. She appears to be the best looking, most successful woman in the ENTIRE town of ANY age. All of her problems are in her head. All she has to do is stand on the front lawn for 5 minutes and she would have 5 dates - just for lunch. Probably another 10 for dinner.

Of course, physical beauty or money cannot solve psychological issues, but her only issue seems to be having gone through a divorce. Since she was always the breadwinner, it's not like she's readjusting to being on her own. Plus her ex-husband acts like a child. What the hell kind of marriage could they have had?

I like CC, but a different type of actress is needed; like a Mary Louise Parker type who could you make you believe she had all these insecurities rather than someone just yelling about them.

Orphie

Orphie

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 5:33 PM

The mention of Mary Louise Parker coalesces the major difficulty in casting Courtney Cox as the lead in ANY new show. MLP is an accomplished actress. She has the chops in spades and exudes a calm, confident presence. Courtney Cox got very lucky in an ensemble sit-com, was embarrassing in an attempt at drama with "Dirt" and has once again proven that she can't carry a comedy show either. CC simply doesn't have the talent and it shows. Nuance is just beyond her grasp, so everything is played on one level. . in this case, shrill. A high TVQ doesn't always translate into continued success.

I'm also in the camp that the show just wasn't very funny. It tried way too hard in reaching for its laughs. Bill Lawrence knows comedy, so maybe it was just a rough start. Can't say as I'm going to be curious enough to find out, though. I thought it was a rather painful effort.

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

I'd say this show is pretty much as advertised. After all it IS called Cougar Town (and I would think that would clue people in that perhaps it isn't for the kids). It's pretty obvious it is over the top and not to be taken seriously. I thought it was pretty damn funny and hope it doesn't change. Sure, it might get old, but for now it at least differentiates itself from all the other run of the mill unfunny comedies out there. It's fun.

ebonygoddess

ebonygoddess

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 9:52 PM

I'd say this show is pretty much as advertised. After all it IS called Cougar Town (and I would think that would clue people in that perhaps it isn't for the kids). It's pretty obvious it is over the top and not to be taken seriously. I thought it was pretty damn funny and hope it doesn't change. Sure, it might get old, but for now it at least differentiates itself from all the other run of the mill unfunny comedies out there. It's fun.

Word. They all seem to be having so much fun.

When her husband saw Jules on her knees, "You said you hated that."

"You left this at the bar, bitch!"

And the picture the neighbor took of himself in some footie pajamas with his arm around some co-ed. It was hilarious!

sunrise65

sunrise65

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:26 PM

The mention of Mary Louise Parker coalesces the major difficulty in casting Courtney Cox as the lead in ANY new show. MLP is an accomplished actress. She has the chops in spades and exudes a calm, confident presence. Courtney Cox got very lucky in an ensemble sit-com, was embarrassing in an attempt at drama with "Dirt" and has once again proven that she can't carry a comedy show either. CC simply doesn't have the talent and it shows. Nuance is just beyond her grasp, so everything is played on one level. . in this case, shrill. A high TVQ doesn't always translate into continued success.

I loved CC in Dirt! She owned that character! I so wanted more Dirt, I still cry thinking about its cancellation. But Cor was great in that and I do think that she has great comedic timing. I always think its strange that people look for realism in a sitcom, but if it makes me laugh then I'm all for it! This was a good, funny pilot!

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

I hate Mary Louise Parker.

I thought Courtney brought a lot of different colours to the show besides shrill. I thought she was really cool during her scene seducing her ex.

mistrella

mistrella

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 5:21 AM

OK, since the show was still on my DVR I'd thought I'd give it a retry.

Putting aside all the sexual humor (which I thought was more desperate than shocking), all that was left was cliche. There was a moment or two where some ray of intelligent writing tried to poke through, but overall the cloud of thick horseshit was too pervasive.

This one is dead in the water for me.

LaneKim

LaneKim

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 8:39 AM

I'm with the other people here who thought this was horrible. I didn't laugh at all, and actually deleted it from my DVR a couple minutes before it was over.

Christa Miller's face was the scariest part of the ep. Can she please lay off the Botox and fillers and lip plumpers? Eek.

This was a big part of me not being able to watch it. She used to be so cute - why on earth would she do that to her face? It was so distracting. (And it looks like CC has had a little bit done with her lips, too. But it's not nearly as jarring as it is with CM.)

Teague

Teague

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 9:39 AM

I don't know...there just seems to be something off with this show. Courtney Cox was fine--sort of at her usual, which is normally entertaining enough, I guess. And I will always love me some Busy Phillips and Christa Miller. But the whole thing just seemed...I don't know, unsustainable? I mean, the pilot was okay, but where do they go from here? I don't really care.

On the bright side, the son here was fantastic--if he were the lead, I think this show would work.

cricketmum

cricketmum

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:06 AM

LaneKim

And it looks like CC has had a little bit done with her lips, too

At the 5 min mark, I stopped my (totally legal, of course) d/l view as none of the previews or reviews I'd read had spoilered me for THE LIPS.

They even managed to detract from my Busy love!

eta:there are different tenses

Edited by cricketmum, Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:09 AM.

SwtSassyMolassy

SwtSassyMolassy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

How old is CC supposed to be? She said 40 at one point, but didn't she also tell the guy at the bar she got pregnant at 19 or 20? I'm assuming her son is her only child, and since she's driving him to school I'm saying he's 15 at most, she wouldn't be older than 35.

I think CC looks great for her age, but to make this show make sense she should be playing closer to 45, which I think is her actual age.

I did the math too and this really bothered me. Unless we find out she has another older child who is 20 and is off at college, there is no way this works. Her son is no older than 16, so if she got pregnant at 19, had him at 20 and is now 40, there are 4 years missing in there somewhere.

It drives me crazy when writers don't get simple details like this right. Here's hoping for another child off at college to make sense of this.

I'm not sure how long I will stick with this show - I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. I found it mildly amusing and there's nothing else I like to watch on Wednesday nights other than ANTM, so I'll give it a shot...

luna33

luna33

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 12:10 PM

The math didn't bother me...she referenced having been thinking with her 'cootchie cooch' and then winding up pregnant, but she didn't specify just how LONG she was out there thinking with her nether regions before said pregnancy occurred. She later clearly mentions being 40, so I just figured she had a few years of fooling around before she got knocked up.

I will give this a second chance, due to the cast and writer, but I really hope they back off the premise that we're to feel bad for her because, despite looking great in her scanties, having a great career, house, friends and kid...she's single and 40. Only in TV-land, in my experience, is that really considered a fate worse than death.

ebonygoddess

ebonygoddess

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 1:40 PM

I will give this a second chance, due to the cast and writer, but I really hope they back off the premise that we're to feel bad for her because, despite looking great in her scanties, having a great career, house, friends and kid...she's single and 40. Only in TV-land, in my experience, is that really considered a fate worse than death.

And movies. Really, you would think that single 40 somethings would be throwing themselves off of overpasses if it was really that bad.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 1:59 PM

I don't know...there just seems to be something off with this show. Courtney Cox was fine--sort of at her usual, which is normally entertaining enough, I guess. And I will always love me some Busy Phillips and Christa Miller. But the whole thing just seemed...I don't know, unsustainable? I mean, the pilot was okay, but where do they go from here? I don't really care.

On the bright side, the son here was fantastic--if he were the lead, I think this show would work.

I think that's the problem. It didn't really have a feeling of having somewhere to go. I don't think I could tell anyone what this show is about in one or two sentences.

So Christa Miller did have botox? What a shame. She's so cute. The botox makes her seem really weird.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 3:20 PM

I didn't know they made footie pajamas in adult sizes. I really want to know what the market is like for those.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

I just figured she had a few years of fooling around before she got knocked up

But how would that preclude her going to London? If anything, it would have made it easier for her to go.