Cougar Town

• Please log in to reply

3537 replies to this topic

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

I loved the speed bump, iced coffee to the face. That was funny.

I also loved the lipstick bowler in the mirror.

seveneightnine

seveneightnine

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

The pig murder trial Q&A was the best for me. I had to rewind and show it to Mr.789 when he came inside. But then I had to do a quick set up and that led back to the "Hillbilly Hall of Fame" comment from Jules-classic.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

This ep didn't hang together as a whole for me. I liked some individual scenes, but not the overall half hour.

namrog

namrog

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

I really wish they were going to put Laurie and Bobby together. To me, they have a much more natural and realistic chemistry than Laurie and Travis.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

I really wish they were going to put Laurie and Bobby together. To me, they have a much more natural and realistic chemistry than Laurie and Travis.

I agree. Plus, as someone else mentioned, Travis is just looking greasy and bloated. I know they made him wear that ridiculous helmet before because he wouldn't cut his hair for the part, but I wonder if they are trying to get him to address his appearance in other ways too. At least they had Jules mention the greasy hair in last night's ep.

dirge

dirge

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

My sister (who is 36 years old) and me (male, 33 years old) usually like the same shows. But when I told her one of my favourite shows right now is Cougar Town, she made a shocked, disgusted face and said "Ugh, How could you?".

I was surprised as her reaction, so I just changed the topic. Afterwards it occured to me that she's probably never actually seen the show.

And now I see why they have to change the title.

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Barb is married? Too much of her is not good, but I did love her popping up randomly telling some terribly inappropriate sexual story. She was almost subdued here. I will miss the tramp if she has settled down for real.

No more cougar in Cougar Town I suppose.

Turk should have been Laurie's Skype boyfriend. That would have been a funny sight gag.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Turk should have been Laurie's Skype boyfriend. That would have been a funny sight gag.

I think a lot of us were waiting for Donald to show up.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

I LOVED that Wade showed up. I was afraid we'd never hear about him again. He is very cute. I hope they meet in person one day.

I also love hearing about Jules' hillbilly roots. The end tag was incredible.

I was concerned over the lack of wine, but they more than made up for it in the second half. "How are you still talking?" "It's only white." Lol.

SiobhanJW

SiobhanJW

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

http://m.deadline.co...if-abc-cancels/ Hopefully this happens!!

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

This season, I have been annoyed at how Jules treats Tiny Eyes. So, I usually enjoy it when the show acknowledges Jules' self-centredness. But I agree with Jules--Holly is an annoying twit and Jules shouldn't have to chit chat over alcohol if she doesn't want to. I refuse to see anything likeable with Holly.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:01 AM

Yes please TBS i may finally watch you if you pick up Cougar town.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

I would love if Cougar Town got picked up by TBS because, at this point, I'm about 85% sure that ABC won't pick up Cougar Town. But I guess it sucks for Dan Byrd and Josh Hopkins because of their pilots. But at the same time, PICK IT UP! It's a great show that deserves to be picked up.

And if it does, I hope some minor things change, like Ellie's attitude toward everything, especially her own family as well as Jules' attitude toward Grayson. I mean, I kind of want Ellie to be a bit more appreciative toward Andy and the same goes with Jules to Grayson.

TBS looking to renew Cougar Town for two seasons

This news is very, very, very good. I am quite hopeful that the show is coming back now.

Edited by jessied112, May 6, 2012 @ 4:28 PM.

LolaDances

LolaDances

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I really didn't like this one. I felt as though Laurie was being willfully ignorant to Travis' feelings towards her and that her actions were bordering on mean. She knows that he likes her and sort of took advantage of that because she was sad. With this episode, and the one where she made him dance for her with the fraternity, I'm starting to find Laurie really unlikeable. The rest of the gang too I'm finding myself liking less and less, although Ellie was toned down considerably in this episode, which I felt was needed.

Still a great show, but I don't think that the past few episodes have been up there with some of their best.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I really liked this episode--EXCEPT the Laurie/Travis stuff. I agree with the above post. Laurie knows Travis likes her, so her behavior didn't make sense.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

She knows that he likes her and sort of took advantage of that because she was sad. With this episode, and the one where she made him dance for her with the fraternity, I'm starting to find Laurie really unlikeable.

I agree, sort of. I didn't understand Laurie at all in this episode. It has been well established that Laurie was aware of how Travis felt about her. She used his crush to make him realize that Kristen wouldn't be the only person he'd ever care about and she didn't realize the consequences of that. In the fraternity episode, they addressed the consequences of it and I think she responded well. I was fine with her actions in both of those episodes. But in this episode, she was just totally unaware even when it became really obvious Travis was bothered.

It doesn't make me hate her but I think her actions undermined that development and made her appear totally insensitive.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the ep. I loved watching everyone react to not having wine. And I really did feel for Trav even though I knew the whole thing would end disasterously. To be fair, making a move on Laurie after she broke up with her boyfriend, even if it is a Skype boyfriend, was horrific timing.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Aww, not even Abed knew it was back on.

I was fine with her actions in both of those episodes. But in this episode, she was just totally unaware even when it became really obvious Travis was bothered.

I didn't seem him as bothered, he was basking in her shoulder crying, and he chose to put the iPad on his face and vicariously booty grab, so that was a self-inflicted wound. I say that as a fairly huge Laurie/Travis shipper. I've actually been super pleased with how the writers are handling the issue of them potentially becoming involved, and if anything I found her behavior in Hawaii much more suspect. Exploiting his feelings for her simply to make a point for his MOTHER is way way worse, but maybe that is just me.

I loved the Hawaii ep because I thought Laurie went into it, thinking she'd acknowledge his feelings and diffuse them, but what really happened was she realized she had some of her own, and that the chemistry between them is real, and really awkward given Jules and Crew. The Nut Hut ep was a way for Travis to say, I can respect/accept just friendship, even though I totally dig you and want more. With each episode where they're paired off, I see Laurie attempting to get more comfortable with her own feelings for Travis, so Twitter guy dumping her let her sort of feel that out, and I didn't see her using his feelings for her, I saw her wanting Travis to make her decision easier for her by reasserting that he was the right guy she was looking for. That he pushed her toward Wade, was noble but I think it was also smart and self protective. Much like Laurie and cake business dreams, he just wants to keep that door open, and if something happens it has to be on Laurie's unambiguous initiative.

Dan Byrd is so amazingly hilarious, neurotic circular response to leaving/staying was gold. I also loved how excited Tom was that the group included him in "a bit". Ha! I'm not sure if was the glasses or the Michael Jackson wind dancing, but Dime Eyes was crazy hot to me last night. He's neutral, he's like Switzerland.

I loved how cavalier the Crew was about the hurricane to the point where they bopped from house to house to bar to boat and back again. Hee.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

but Dime Eyes was crazy hot to me last night

Haha!! I was thinking his eyes looked particularly small last night, and the glasses definitely help with that. The Michael Jackson thing may have been my favorite moment of the episode.

I would be fine if they go with Laurie/Travis, though I wish I didn't get invested in Laurie/Wade. I mean, it seems ridiculous, this twitter/skype relationship, but it's just sooooooo cute.

I was SHOCKED that the crew ran out of wine. I mean, I would have figured they would have bought at least 2 cases of wine to last them through the storm.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I wish I didn't get invested in Laurie/Wade. I mean, it seems ridiculous, this twitter/skype relationship, but it's just sooooooo cute.

I'm surprised how relieved I was when they decided to try and make things work at the end. I really have no idea why. Although part of that is the fact that the ~10 year age difference between Laurie and Travis is too big for me, especially when one of them is only 19, so pairing her with someone else works better for me.

SilverLake0315

SilverLake0315

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

The Michael Jackson thing may have been my favorite moment of the episode.

That was perfection. I could NOT stop laughing and had to rewind to watch it again!

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Although part of that is the fact that the ~10 year age difference between Laurie and Travis is too big for me, especially when one of them is only 19, so pairing her with someone else works better for me

Agreed, especially when combined with the idea that Travis's soon-to-be-stepdad slept with Laurie. I'm already mildly grossed out that they both made out with Holly.

I was SHOCKED that the crew ran out of wine. I mean, I would have figured they would have bought at least 2 cases of wine to last them through the storm.

What's sad is that it looked like they HAD gone through an insane amount of wine before running out and experiencing the subsequent panicky withdrawal. I walk such a thin line with this show between being highly amused at their wine-fixation and feeling like this group is now a bunch of pitiful, raging alcoholics who have, like, NO other passions or interests. I think that probably depends more on my mood than the given episode, though.

I also agree with whomever noted that the characters seem less likable this season, and particularly post-hiatus. For me, the charm of this show has always been more about the amusing group dynamics and sharp dialogue; individually, most of the characters range from meh to unlikable IMO.

godonlyknows

godonlyknows

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Loved the title card and Ellie's "I'm an okay storm, not a perfect storm" had me in tears.

I'm a fan of both this show and Community and love comparing how they do film/tv parodies. Community goes all out, Jules grabs a hose (Shawshank) or bucket (Perfect Storm) and it's equally enjoyable.

Still think I prefect Laurie and Travis as flirty friends. I do not like Holly - she sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't feel part of the world Cougar Town. It's as jarring as if someone from the 90s suddenly popped up on Mad Men.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

I also agree with whomever noted that the characters seem less likable this season, and particularly post-hiatus. For me, the charm of this show has always been more about the amusing group dynamics and sharp dialogue; individually, most of the characters range from meh to unlikable IMO.

I can agree with this to a certain extent. I mean, Bobby has gotten slightly worse but I still like him and I believe Grayson has actually gotten funnier and the show has started giving Andy more subplots now (although I wish he could have some more A plots) but for everyone else, I agree. Especially with Ellie, Jules and even Travis. I mean, I like how they have been trying to pair different duos up more (Andy/Jules, Grayson/Ellie although I still really want some more Grayson/Bobby and Ellie/Travis subplots) but I think they need to refocus and stop making Ellie and Jules she-devils. I also don't like the whole 'Jules/Ellie are soulmates' thing. It works with Bobby and Andy but for me, it doesn't work with Ellie/Jules. Especially when Ellie and Jules often treat their significant others like crap. IMO, it's not funny anymore. Actually, it never used to be funny to me. So maybe with the potential of a network change, the show might live up to its potential.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I do not like Holly - she sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't feel part of the world Cougar Town.

But isn't Holly essentially Laurie with a baby?

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

It's as jarring as if someone from the 90s suddenly popped up on Mad Men.

They have; her name is Megan; she ate that show.

I'm assuming they're trying to spend all the eps at once. Boo! I assume we'll at least have the wedding before next season.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

But isn't Holly essentially Laurie with a baby?

If we'd gotten Holly from the beginning in Laurie's place, there's no way I would love this show as much as I do. Laurie has always felt like a real person to me. Holly is not and I'd be very happy if she ran off somewhere and left Tampa/Jill with Grayson.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I'm done with this show. The past three episodes, I half-watched and the last one, didn't even bother. Hate the whole Grayson's kid story line and I now find a show that I used to find charmingly quirky is now just stupid. Too bad because it used to be a show I never missed. I hear it's moving to TBS anyway and I for one, will not follow.

SpiffyShindigs

SpiffyShindigs

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

It's official.

SiobhanJW

SiobhanJW

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Soo sooo soo excited!! :) Hopefully TBS can treat this show right!

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

The Michael Jackson thing may have been my favorite moment of the episode.

That was probably the funniest part. I really liked how they did the ongoing gags with Grayson's super lame last call catch phrases, and Jules not knowing any celebrities. Although I do wonder, how does someone who has seen The Perfect Storm enough times to reinact (which I thought was super funny, especially Jules trying to do that accent) not know any celebrities other than Gweneth Paltrow (and I guess George DiCaprio which really made me laugh)?