Cougar Town

• Please log in to reply

3537 replies to this topic

jmz

jmz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:03 PM

I couldn't find a thread for this show and that's a shame because the first episode was freaking hilarious. Funniest show I've seen in a long time.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

This episode was indeed very funny. There are plenty of strong characters and situations in which to build future stories that were just as funny as the ones in tonight's premiere. The presence of Busy Phillips and Christa Miller only add to the show's appeal as I'm sure both of those ladies will bring plenty of laughs. I sure hope this show can find an audience because it's currently my favorite new show of the season.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

I was actually surprised by how much I liked it really. I actually laughed out loud a few times and I haven't done that with sitcoms very often. This is also a nice complement to Modern Family, another show that gave me a few laugh out loud moments.

I'm in for a few more episodes to see where this goes.

Edited by SanLynn, Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM.

bahamarita

bahamarita

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

Loved it! I thought it was consistently funny throughout. A lot of laugh out loud moments. Love that Jules is a neurotic mess in a completely different way than Monica was.

Favorite line: "You left this at the bar, bitch!"

I will definitely be making this a season pass.

Big O

Big O

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

Agree with everything said already. This is the best new show I have seen this season. I like Dan Byrd from Aliens in America as the son.

Edited by Big O, Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:15 PM.

lvmom

lvmom

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

Courtney Cox still has it. I haven't laughed this consistently for years.

sharybeari

sharybeari

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:38 PM

Please find an audience Cougartown!

I loved it. I only currently watch How I Met your Mother and Big Bang Theory I definitely need this sitcom! I loved the son in this he works really well with Courtney.

vampdeath

vampdeath

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 11:09 PM

As a Drew Carey Show fan, its a little disturbing to see Larry married to Kate. And who knew they were born the same year?

Edited by vampdeath, Sep 23, 2009 @ 11:10 PM.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 11:25 PM

So much to love in this show!!

*The neighbor in the footie pajamas.
*Blackmailing the son with the pic of him and his friend when they were babies holding each others penises "So small!".
*The cougar friend mouthing "You need to hit that" then warming her hands on his ass.

Please ABC don't screw this one up!!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 11:45 PM

How old is CC supposed to be? She said 40 at one point, but didn't she also tell the guy at the bar she got pregnant at 19 or 20? I'm assuming her son is her only child, and since she's driving him to school I'm saying he's 15 at most, she wouldn't be older than 35.

I think CC looks great for her age, but to make this show make sense she should be playing closer to 45, which I think is her actual age.

Hours Left

Hours Left

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

This show is hilarious! Why does it have to be on at the same time as Glee?

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:40 AM

It's refreshing to actually laugh out loud at a sitcom! It has been awhile. (Not since Kath and Kim for me). Loved Courtney Cox in this. It works only because she is totally willing to make fun of herself and actually be that desperate divorcee. Loved her interaction with the neighbor (great chemistry) and her son and friends are awesome too. Looking forward to more.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:07 AM

I admit, I didn't have high hopes for this show, but I was wrong and loved it. Courteney was hilarious, and I was laughing through the entire ep. I've liked Dan Byrd since Aliens in America and thought he was a fairly realistic teen. I'm so used to seeing Brian Van Holt as a gun-toting authority figure that it took me awhile to place him as the doofy ex. I'll definitely be watching next week; hope it does well.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:28 AM

This is my favourite new show of the season. I saw this solely due to Courtney's presence, but I didn't have much in the way of expectations. Hysterical! Please let this survive! I want more scenes of the gang watching football in the stands.

ordinaryangel

ordinaryangel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:45 AM

I went in expecting to like Modern Family, and hating Cougartown. The opposite happened, and I was surprised by how much I laughed during this! I like the cast—there's a lot of weird characters thrown together. Loved the kid stealing all her real estate signs, the father mowing the school's lawn (but not before telling his son to "Hit the books!"), and Kate looking at half naked Larry (vampdeath, I was a DC fan too) and commenting how turned on she was.

Def. will watch this one again—I just hope ABC doesn't pull it too soon if the ratings are bad. It's got a lot of potential, for sure.

mistrella

mistrella

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 4:20 AM

Well, I hate to be the wet blanket, but I thought this show was horrible on so many levels. Her teeanage son catches her performing oral sex on a young guy, her teenage son's friends use her picture to self-gratify, and on and on. Not funny. Not in the least.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 4:25 AM

I liked this show too! I was thinking that it might be successful because the character is Monica-esque. It doesn't seem as if there are very many women who have been on more than one hit tv show but Mary Tyler Moore's character on MTM was similar to Laura Petrie and Lucy always played Lucy. Julia Luis Dreyfus' Old Christine has a lot of Elaine qualities as well. So maybe we viewers don't like too much change. The only problem I see is with Cougar Town is where can the story go...can they do more than have her sleep with young guys, be annoyed by her ex and embarrass her kid? If they've got some good stories in the holster then I'm in.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 7:21 AM

I thought it was ok. Everyone seemed like they were trying so hard to deliver every line with a zing, that it was kind of a turn-off. I can't stand the guy who plays the son. He seems like an ass.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 7:36 AM

Completely and totally hysterical. I laughed like a hyena for the entire show. Please, please, PLEASE don't take it away from us, ABC. "Stop dating babies!!!"

brickley dane

brickley dane

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 7:47 AM

It had moments, but most of the delivery was forced. Courtney Cox was pretty organic. The best friend was very forced- WHACK Like an anvil smacking you.

The cute PJ neighbor was from Swingtown- which I adored and then it didn't get picked up for a second season. Booo HISSSSS.

Edited by brickley dane, Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:31 PM.

Brendino

Brendino

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 8:35 AM

I'm completely with mistrella.....horrible on so many levels is the best way I can describe this show. It's incredibly insulting to ... well, just about everyone IMO: 40-year old women, teenagers, men, you name it. Everyone on this show is a sex-obsessed moron. Surely we have hit a new low in "comedy" when the big joke is a teenager coming home to find his mother giving a blow job to another teenager. I'm embarrassed for all involved and sure won't be tuning into this one again.

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 8:43 AM

Courtney Cox's son:

"Oh yeah Dad...please start mowing the grass at my school...that will make my life perfect."

(Or something along those lines)

sunrise65

sunrise65

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

Count me as one who was pleasantly surprised. I laughed out loud several times and found the characters believable. Yeah, they seem sex obsessed, but if you like sex and you haven't had it in about 6-12 months...you do find yourself wondering if you're ever going to find someone to have it with again. That was believable on my part. It's called Cougar Town...obviously we're going to be dealing with the sexual needs of women of a certain age. I loved the son and the posters and incidentally, how can a mother allow her son to have so many of those posters plastered around his room? Anyone?

Will have to remember to watch this again. Don't have DVR so it's my memory or nothing! Drat! I'm doomed!

kavan30013

kavan30013

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:04 AM

I'll sit at the wet blanket table with mistrella and Brendino. I thought the show was really repulsive. I guess I'll have a 30 minute break between Modern Family and Eastwick.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:04 AM

Surely we have hit a new low in "comedy" when the big joke is a teenager coming home to find his mother giving a blow job to another teenager.

I don't really need to see another joke about a blowjob, either, but it might not be quite as squicky as you imagine: David Clayton Rogers is 32; I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be a teenager, or anywhere close to it.

Besides, we all know that Jules is going to end up with Footie Pyjama Neighbour Grayson. (And I can't help it: Christa Miller's Jordan-esque best friend makes me laugh.)

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:18 AM

Christa Miller's face was the scariest part of the ep. Can she please lay off the Botox and fillers and lip plumpers? Eek.

Otherwise, I was underwhelmed but didn't hate it. The pilot was a little frenetic, but it's a pilot and they have to get a lot of exposition into a little time. I'll give it a few more eps.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:21 AM

Well, I hate to be the wet blanket, but I thought this show was horrible on so many levels. Her teeanage son catches her performing oral sex on a young guy, her teenage son's friends use her picture to self-gratify, and on and on. Not funny. Not in the least.

Gotta agree. I thought it was awful and trying WAY too hard to make weak jokes seem funny. Courtney Cox kept screaming every punchline. It made her look ridiculous.

Christa Miller's face was the scariest part of the ep. Can she please lay off the Botox and fillers and lip plumpers? Eek.

Seriously, the woman can't move her forehead. Her face looks like a deathmask.

recurring_dream

recurring_dream

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

What's even scarier is it looks a lot better here than it did on Scrubs.

Overall, I enjoyed the show, although Courtney Cox needs to drop the decibel level just a wee bit. Love the son! He's definitely the highlight of the show.

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:37 AM

Surely we have hit a new low in "comedy" when the big joke is a teenager coming home to find his mother giving a blow job to another teenager

He was not a teenager, just a younger man (low 30's). Certainly an adult.
(She met him in a nightclub with velvet rope bouncer...not likely to allow teens in there)

rapunzelchick

rapunzelchick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

The cute PJ neighbor was from Swingtown- whick I adored and then it didn't get picked up for a second season. Booo HISSSSS.

This.

Seeing Josh Hopkins on my TV again was the only thing I liked about this show. And I loathed his character so I don't think his occasional presence will be enough to get me to sit through this dreck on a weekly basis.