The Deep End: Grey's Anatomy for Lawyers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

297 replies to this topic

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 5:48 PM

The Deep End follows four young new lawyers who enter one of the most prestigious law firms in Los Angeles, Sterling Law. The lucky four consists of Dylan, Addy, Beth and Liam everyone of them come from very different backgrounds. Their boss is Cliff Huddle aka The Prince of Darkness, a senior partner at the firm. But when Hart Sterling, returns after a long hiatus, he's ready to shake thing up. This series combines a complex personal and professional lives with the greedy world of Law. From executive producer David Hemingson, from How I Met Your Mother.

The cast includes Matt Long as Dylan Hewitt, Ben Lawson as Liam Priory, Tina Majorino as Addy Fisher, Norbert Leo Butz as Rowdy Kaiser, Leah Pipes as Beth Bancroft, Billy Zane as Cliff Huddle, Sherri Saum as Susan Oppenheim, Clancy Brown as Hart Sterling, Mehcad Brooks as Malcolm Bennet, and Rachelle Lefevre as Katie Campbell.

(Summary from Wikipedia)

Preview it here (Youtube)

I have no idea when this is going to premiere on ABC - probably midseason, from the looks of it, although Wikipedia does mention that it's premiering "sometime in fall 2009" (and we all know how reliable Wiki is). Although I normally don't like watch lawyer shows (despite being a law student, or maybe because I am one), this one actually looks interesting to me.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 9:46 AM

I'm mostly interested in this for Tina Majorino and Clancy Brown. I hope it doesn't suck.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

I just hope it actually airs so that we can decide if it sucks or not.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 2:55 AM

I thought the script was mediocre and the execution from the trailer looked to be worse, but I'll give it an episode or two. I'm feeling nostalgia for Boston Legal lately and it looks like they're using some of their sets.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 7:03 PM

And, there's a premiere date: Thursday, January 21 at 8pm ET. Link to the press release (which contains a somewhat detailed preview of the pilot).

Toga88

Toga88

Couch Potato

• Interests:I'm preternaturally snarky. It's a blessing and a curse. I love TV. Watching it, writing it, (and to break the 'w' word scheme) critiquing it. Maybe one day, I'll get to do at least one of the three professionally. I'm a Leo who enjoys lounging about, pondering the meaning of life, and a good game of Scattergories. I completely ripped this off from my blog profile.

Posted Dec 11, 2009 @ 1:34 AM

I thought the script was mediocre and the execution from the trailer looked to be worse, but I'll give it an episode or two. I'm feeling nostalgia for Boston Legal lately and it looks like they're using some of their sets.

I loathed the script. It was just painful to read.

But I'm a masochist when it comes to TV (still watch Smallville), so I'll watch. And judge. And mention how much I miss Boston Legal every now and then.

ZeroForce

ZeroForce

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 3:27 AM

They're supposed to be first years at a BigLaw firm? Shouldn't they be on their knees thanking the Flying Spaghetti Monster that they have jobs? Also, this?

In the premiere episode, "Pilot," Dylan (Matt Long, "Jack and Bobby") is given an impossible pro bono custody case, Beth (Leah Pipes, "Sorority Row") keeps mum when a 90-year-old man signs an agreement thinking that she's his daughter, Liam (Ben Lawson, "Neighbours") must get a client to sign with the firm under false pretenses, Addy (Tina Majorino, "Big Love") finally gets some attention from her boss when she speaks her mind, and Malcolm (Mehcad Brooks, "True Blood") gets off on the wrong foot when he's hired outside of the firm's traditional process.

I guess no one gives a shit about plausibility.

gpfallow

gpfallow

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2009 @ 10:42 PM

It has Billy Zane so I question how good it will be. But I hope it is good enough because I like most of the other actors particularly Tina M. and Matt L.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2009 @ 3:52 PM

This show interests me and I'll be checking it out when it comes on. I find it interesting that there are no big stars, not one A-list actor to headline it. It's also nice to have another law show on ABC after Boston Legal went off the air. Since they gave it the Thursday night timeslot it seems like they have some faith in it. It'll either be a big hit or it's gone, simple as that. I can't wait to see how it does. If it is a breakout hit then I'm sure the quality will improve and it would be interesting due to the lack of stars.

Out of the cast I'm mostly looking forward to seeing Sherri Saum (who I loved on One Life to Live) and Billy Zane (sexy, with or without hair).

Edited by Knots Landing, Dec 25, 2009 @ 3:53 PM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

Ok, so I watching a commercial for this now, and I'm in for at least the first episode. And, I hope I like the Dylan character, because he attends my law school. The plot(s) for the pilot sounds suspect, but I'll give it a go.

vagabond

vagabond

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 1:29 PM

Just read about Tina Majorino in the "Winter Preview: Familiar Faces in New Roles" feature on the TWoP homepage, and I noticed the spectacularly good-looking young man in the photo with her. Hot damn, I said. That's Matt Long, from my beloved Jack and Bobby!

So count me in, at least for a little while.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 1:06 AM

This show looks horrible, but if I want a good law show, I will just continue watching The Good Wife. Billy Zane and Clancy Brown are draws for me, but I hated Matt Long on Jack and Bobby and he seems to have about the same low level of charisma on this show, if the promos are any indication. I'll watch the pilot, but I doubt I will go beyond that.

I wonder where they will move it once FlashForward returns. Oh, silly me, like this show will still be around by then.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 9:36 AM

The commercials for this show (which seem to be on ABC all the damn time) are promoting as "from the network that brought you Grey's Anatomy," which seems (a) tenuous - do people really base their viewing habits on the network connection? and (b) faint praise - but then I've never been a fan of Grey's Anatomy, to put it mildly. Is this a Berlanti show? Because it seems to have his thumbprints all over it. But it might be Long's presence that's making me think so.

I don't hate Matt Long, but I have no idea if he can actually act or not, since Jack and Bobby was a horrific mess. I give it three episodes; four, tops.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

Interesting. Judging from the new trailer on abc.com, they seem to have added a 5th to the original 4 first-year associates at the firm. In the original trailer, they featured just 4 first-year associates and said that the four of them were the top legal minds in the country or something like that. This trailer refers to 5.

gpfallow

gpfallow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 10:51 PM

I do not think this is a Berlanti show because otherwise they would say from the creator of Brothers and Sisters. From what I read, the creator was (is?) an EP on HIMYM and Kitchen Confidential (among other shows). I like both of those shows so I am willing to give it a shot. No big names though Grey's Anatomy itself did not have household names either. I do not expect it to be a hit though.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

Is this a Berlanti show? Because it seems to have his thumbprints all over it. But it might be Long's presence that's making me think so.

The ever-useful TheFutonCritic.com lists David Hemingson as the creator on its profile page for the show.

english

english

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2010 @ 12:57 AM

I'm in it for Norbert, and I'll be shocked if it lasts til March.

obtabius

obtabius

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 12:46 AM

I'll watch for Ben Lawson. Love him. And Tina Majorino.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 9:09 AM

The fifth associate is definitely new and a retrospective addition from the original pilot, he wasn't in the script or original promo. Colour me cynical that he just happens to be black on a show that's only other minority cast member was a supporting role...

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

Out of the cast I'm mostly looking forward to seeing Sherri Saum (who I loved on One Life to Live) and Billy Zane (sexy, with or without hair).

This. And I look forward to seeing Ari Nicole Parker. I wonder why I didn't see Sherri Saum's name on IMDB.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 12:02 AM

This. And I look forward to seeing Ari Nicole Parker. I wonder why I didn't see Sherri Saum's name on IMDB.

I don't think that Sherri Saum is in this. She is listed as playing the same character as Nicole Ari Parker in the Pilot. I think she did the original pilot and was replaced by Nicole in a reshot pilot.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 12:31 AM

I don't think that Sherri Saum is in this. She is listed as playing the same character as Nicole Ari Parker in the Pilot. I think she did the original pilot and was replaced by Nicole in a reshot pilot.

That looks to be correct. The press release for the series premiere has Nicole Ari Parker as "Susan Oppenheim" while the upfront press release back in May has Sherri Saum listed for that role. And, The Hollywood Reporter has an article from last August which confirms the change.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 1:12 AM

I love Norbert Leo Butz - he is the only reason I would watch this show.

Does anyone else think the two white guys look way too much alike? Just from the previews I think they are way too similar.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

Does anyone else think the two white guys look way too much alike? Just from the previews I think they are way too similar.

I thought I was seeing things at first. There's Matt Long, and then there's the one who's ... not, right? Why would the showrunner choose two guys who look so much alike? Isn't that sort of like casting Billy Zane AND Arnold Vosloo as the Glabrous Nemeses?

ETA: It would appear that Ben Lawson's accent is authentic, as he was born in Australia. But David Giuntoli is also in the cast for at least three episodes. Apparently Central Casting was having some sort of "Buy Two, Get One Free" Sale.

Edited by Sandman, Jan 18, 2010 @ 2:04 PM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 1:55 PM

I thought I was seeing things at first. There's Matt Long, and then there's the one who's ... not, right?

Right, I guess they decided the accent was what differentiated them, but I just thought the guy was faking the accent in the commercial.

jenna1

jenna1

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

Previews for The Deep End look awful and completely tone-deaf to the mood of the recession (not surprising since the show was conceived in 2007 before the bust).

Grey's Anatomy at least tucked on some emotional heartstrings with the patients. This show just looks all sleazy. And its ridiculous portrayal of first years at a big law firm makes Grey's Anatomy look like a documentary. What a load of croak.

Edited by jenna1, Jan 18, 2010 @ 3:33 PM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

I'll give it a go for Norbert Leo Butz and Matt Long I guess.

Apparently Central Casting was having some sort of "Buy Two, Get One Free" Sale.

The only reason I even knew it was a different guy to Matt Long was that I already know him as Frazer from Neighbours.

Grey's Anatomy at least tucked on some emotional heartstrings with the patients. This show just looks all sleazy. And its ridiculous portrayal of first years at a big law firm makes Grey's Anatomy look like a documentary. What a load of croak.

IMHO, when it debuted Grey's was a pretty well written quirky dramedy that could generate genuine emotion and at least made a stab at some kind of realism where doctors barely slept and there were some kind of ethical rules in place. Now it is basically a a daytime soap where more genuine moments have been replaced by identikit characters spouting variations on the same speech over and over again and where doctors can kill patients and still get to work there and only ever seem to work 9-5 mostly.

This.......looks like Post 2007 Grey's Anatomy.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

Wow. No.

The parts that weren't derivative, predictable and clichéd were contrived, unbelievable or just plain appalling.

Edited by Sandman, Jan 21, 2010 @ 10:46 PM.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2010 @ 12:03 AM

It's like someone saw Single Female Lawyer and decided to make a show about 10 of them.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2010 @ 2:18 AM

The only reason I even knew it was a different guy to Matt Long was that I already know him as Frazer from Neighbours.

I also share this embarrassing case of HITG!