4-1: "Living the Dream" 2009.09.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

137 replies to this topic

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 6:02 PM

I forgot to mention how much I appreciate the way Keith Carradine is playing Lundy. I always get the feeling from him that he is slightly suspicious of Dexter. That's something I've missed about Doakes. There should always be one or two people on the show who's instincts ping around Dex, even if they don't quite know why.

tardigrade

tardigrade

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 7:55 PM

I forgot to mention how much I appreciate the way Keith Carradine is playing Lundy. I always get the feeling from him that he is slightly suspicious of Dexter. That's something I've missed about Doakes. There should always be one or two people on the show who's instincts ping around Dex, even if they don't quite know why.

He underplays his roles, rather than chew every available piece of scenery (yeah, I'm looking at you Jimmy Smits). Based on his scenes so far, Lithgow seems to be taking the same approach: I hope he continues that way. The thought just entered my mind that this is how Dexter is supposed to be: quiet, focused, in control. Lundy and Trinity as two sides of the same coin?

On rewatching this episode, I kept wondering how much time it takes Dexter to set up and take down his kill scenes. I understand compression for TVs sake, but just setting up the place - all that plastic, the table, the tools - is going to have to take several hours. He's had a lot of practice, so he can probably carve someone up quickly, but as he mentioned last season, there're 6 quarts of blood to dispose of. He's got to be looking at a full night's work. I don't know why this is bugging me so much now: maybe because he's supposed to be at Rita's beck and call.

Lt. LaGuerta: office affairs are a bad idea. So are those clothes. What's up with you? Were you kidnapped by space aliens between seasons and replaced with a cheap cliche? You can do better - and Lundy's available :)

drtina1

drtina1

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

Eewww to Lundy and LaGuerta!

I agree with Egeria. I feel like Lundy is always giving Dexter a bit of a subtle once over. I really love watching their scenes because there's a sort of tension underlying their interactions. Dexter is on edge, trying to appear normal, so Lundy's serial killer sense isn't triggered. And Lundy seems to find Dexter sort of fascinating, though he's not quite sure why....or maybe he is?

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 11:14 PM

Some even put vinyl over top of hardwood floors!

My parents did that in the early 60s. So I wasn't surprised to see vinyl (or more likely, linoleum) on top of the old tile in that scene.

I was more suprised to see that all the lights still worked in the gym that had been abandoned for decades.

Escapist2

Escapist2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

The lights at the abandoned gym caught my attention too, I liked how they dealt with that with Dexter's line about it being forgotten by the electricity company.

So glad to see Lundy back. I like that he seems a bit suspicious of Dexter, and agree with the poster who said that we need someone to be a bit suspicious. I miss Doakes, I know he had to go, I just wish they had chosen someone other than Lila to take him out. He deserved better.

angry dome

angry dome

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 2:04 PM

If Dexter's subconscious/Dark Passenger can keep having Harry pop up along the highway, we oughtta at least be able to have an occasional appearance by The Ghost of Doakeses Past.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 8:39 PM

I feel like Lundy is always giving Dexter a bit of a subtle once over.

Yes, and I think this is where Dex's "cover" saves him. If he were the "quiet loner that keeps to himself", Lundy would probably have been much more suspicious. But I think Dexter doesn't quite fit the profile because of Deb, Rita and the kid. So the hunter in Lundy probably senses something is up, but his formal training causes him to dismiss his instincts. That's how I'm fanwanking it anyhow.

Lynn44

Lynn44

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 10:36 PM

I was more suprised to see that all the lights still worked in the gym that had been abandoned for decades.

Thank you !!

That was bugging me too, even though it was explained... I still felt he should have been concerned that someone would notice the place all lit up.

I was half expecting the police to show up any minute.

Edited by Lynn44, Oct 2, 2009 @ 10:36 PM.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 11:58 PM

I still felt he should have been concerned that someone would notice the place all lit up.

I wish I knew what brand those lights were since I spend half my life replacing bulbs, it seems. I think vandals, rats and rot would have seen to it that there were no functioning lights or intact wires after 20 years.

Not a big deal, and it didn't hurt my enjoyment of the show although I would have liked to have seen more of John Lithgow (NO - not THAT way!) and less of the boring romance of LaGuerta and Angel. They have no chemisty and it seems like they're just doing it as an "Oh, well..we seem to have run out of suitable sex partners, so why not?" thing.

StillTheSame

StillTheSame

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 9:25 AM

I've been a Dexter addict since season 1, but new to TWOP. I love all the comments and discussion in this thread so far. I'm still catching up.

The contrast of Dexter before fatherhood and after were hilarious. Scruffy Dexter is all kinds of cute. I'm so excited about this season. I thought I was going to have problems with Dexter, serial killer, and Dexter, family man and father, residing in the same body, but it's working for me so far.

I was so sure Dexter would be busted when he was blabbering his murder secret to his kid, I kept yelling THE BABY MONITOR! It surprised me when they DIDN'T go that route!

Tocks, I didn't even think baby monitor. Just thought "what the hell are you saying". Talk about scary bedtime stories. Shut up Dex.

Thought the same about the lights in the gym. I'm a stickler about the details. Yes, I'm sure the electric company overlooked it. Or the previous owner keeps paying the bill.

And the floor in the bathroom. My Mom covered beautiful oak floors with linoleum flooring. It was the in thing to do back then. And much easier to take care of with three little ones.

John Lithgow is going to be amazingly creepy as this season's bad guy.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 1:53 PM

Watching again.

Both times Dexter volunteered to get up to take care of Harrison. Rita didn't say, "You take this." Maybe she wasn't good at reading that Dex wanted to sleep because it's been at least 9 months since they had "kinkyish"sex. Shewasn't a shrew to him, and was incredibly happy that Dex was able to help out. She even said he didn't have to be up with H. Asking Dex to bring home diapers or medication wasn't out of the ordinary. She didn't know he was creating a crime scene. Some pharmacies deliver, but not in the middle of the night. We'd be SOOL since none of our pharmacies are open after 10.

He's also overextending himself because he wants to be the perfect non-serial killer.

I like Rita's new look. She has to fit in with the neighborhood where they live and can't look like the drab mouse she was 2/3 years ago.

I liked that JL was nude and unafraid to look creepy. He does it so well. What bothered me is when his first victim walked into the bathroom, she sees the cabinet open, but doesn't see him (who'd supposed to be directly behind her when she closing it.

Deb & LaGuerta talking about men is just too weird.

It must be weird working with your wife, and each of you sleeping with different people on the show.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 3:01 PM

Put me in the "more naked JL" club. His nudity added an element of creep factor that could just not be achieved otherwise. It's one thing to find a dude in your bathroom drawing a bath. But a naked dude?? Wow, that would scare me so much more!

Not to mention that if all men looked like JL nude at his age life would be a better place... compare him to a naked MCH and yeah he's not that hot. but on his own, the man is in great shape!

Aside of the nudity I am so happy to see JL back on screen. The fact that he does humor and horror says a lot about his acting skills... the crooning to his victim, the unceasing pressure - just having that poor girl trapped like she were in quicksand... that was almost harder to watch than him almost lovingly slice her leg open (and kudos to the makeup/special effects department). And he did performed in those scenes so well! I'm really looking forward to this season just to see more of this guy...

I'm hoping Rita gets a wake up call from Dexters accident (no pun intended). There is a certainly strangeness to her - like she should have this "living the dream" crap for surviving her own bad decisions in the past. I almost feel like her character operates on this "well I survived multiple rapes and beatings from my childrens father, I'm entitled to now be the dominating one because this is how a relationship should be in my world." She just never sat well for me.

I could give fuck all about Angel/Maria, Deb/Anton, Quinn/reporter... unless these are more than cursory, peripheral distractions they aren't doing anything for the "meat" of this show.

I love that Lundy is back if only because of the added stress his mere presence causes Dexter. He adds a great dynamic and tension. But like the Deb/Anton thing, I really don't care what his deal is romantically and will be irritated if this turns into an annoying romantic triangle.

I cringed knowing that Dexter was falling asleep while driving... he spent all of the episode with half closed, red, swollen eyes (good acting, good makeup). Although I did feel a bit hit over the head with it - three red eyes. Yes, I get it, he's overworked and tired and taking on too much.

I really wished there was a monitor on while he was sharing his secret with Harrison (they call the baby that and not "harry" for short? Big name, little baby). Anyway, it would have been awesome to see him backtrack to Rita... and to have that seed planted in her head.

All in all I am most impressed with the start to this season and am really looking forward to seeing what they do with these story lines.

runwaywatcher

runwaywatcher

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

I am NOT looking forward to the inevitable Lundy/Deb/Anton sandwich. Anything but that! It's looking mighty good on the homestretch otherwise though. Should be a great season. Going Deb-lite would be a delight. I love her but don't need her to be the leading female role. I have a hard time believing anyone is really invested in her romantic life.

clairebbbear

clairebbbear

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 8:23 AM

I hope this is okay to say here (I checked the FAQs and I don't think it is board-on-board stuff) but I wanted to say YAY for Joe R, the new recapper.

I really enjoyed his recap for this episode. "Lapdance of failure" LOL.

HowHardCouldItBe

HowHardCouldItBe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 1:45 PM

Having finally given in to everyone who said "you have to watch Dexter, you'll love it!" and marathoned my way through the first 3 seasons this month, I can finally post!

Two things right off - I have fallen asleep while driving and wrecked a car, and that scene was awful to watch, and I love that Dex told Harrison about killing people. You can tell babies all sorts of secrets!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 9:54 AM

Certainly a promising opening episode. A lot here that I liked with this one.

John Lithgow as Trinity - now that is good casting and he scared the fuck out of me within seconds of being on screen. After the Skinner being such a let down last season, I think/hope that Trinity really does give Dexter a run for his money.

I like that with being a father, the show is rightfully depicting the added complications that Dexter's little hobby now has. He couldn't even kill Benito without having to be called to get milk for Harrison (I like the name) and his sleep deprivation caused him to be sloppy in court and crash his car. Nice use of Harry in this episode, BTW.

Deb investigating Harry is great but are we going to have to wait for ages for her to get a clue about Laura Moser? The file was practically staring at her in the face and she didn't look at it. I take it Suzanna wanted an affair with Harry but was resigned to the fact that he wasn't interested in her.

Maria and Angel seemed to be a little leftfield but I'll give it a chance. The actors certainly have convincing enough chemistry and I don't think Maria's really had a love interest (apart from nicking Pascall's one) and I did enjoy some of Maria and Deb's banter in this episode.

So glad that Lundy's back and involved with the Trinity killer arc. Both Deb and Dexter's reactions to his return made me laugh but he did seem to look at Dexter more suspiciously than last time, didn't he? Also, I'm wondering if Lundy's return will sabotage Deb's relationship with Anton.

Quinn can go to hell and stay there. I get why he was mad at Dexter's incompetence but the character annoys me and I can't see anything good coming out of his new attraction to Christine either.

Masuka barely did anything in this episode but had some real good moments on screen. I hope he gets a storyline this year.

Astor was a bit of a brat in this episode but Cody wasn't annoying. Rita was pretty fun too with her attempts of initiating sex.

Overall a solid opening episode, 9/10.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

I can buy Rita settling into her fantasy about the Perfect Husband whose job takes him out at all hours, but how does he manage to keep his apartment a secret? Those things don't come cheap, and with the new house and new kid and only one salary things should be a bit tight chez Morgan.

I'm not sure how much plastic wrap costs but I'm thinking that Dexter's led a pretty frugal life so he probably has savings.

Also, I can buy Rita being so happy "living the dream" that she's not analyzing that life too closely. She's got the husband, the house, the baby and the security. Why pick at the wallpaper to see if there's something ugly beneath it?

One thing I've never understood about Dexter: he's so damned careful yet he keeps his victims' blood samples, his weapons etc. IN HIS HOME. What the hell? Why is that shit not being stored in a neutral location?

Edited by NoWillToResist, Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:22 PM.

BroughtBackIn

BroughtBackIn

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Y'all do realize that this is not going to happen? That Julie Benz and Rita are key parts of the show and will be on it to the very end?

To the very end of season 4, right? :)