Fashion on Glee: Damn, Don't You See What I Got On?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

866 replies to this topic

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Extra mentions for Rachel's shirt during the HummelBerry locker scene but minus for the socks she seemed to wear all the time.

Seriously. What is it with her with the knee highs? They haven't been remotely fashionable for anyone above the age of 8 in... well, forever, it seems. The girl is supposed to be nearly a grown woman and she keeps trying to dress at times like a kindergartener. I found it difficult to take her seriously in the Pezberry duet because of those damned socks!

fireangel611

fireangel611

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

What is it with her with the knee highs? They haven't been remotely fashionable for anyone above the age of 8 in... well, forever, it seems. The girl is supposed to be nearly a grown woman and she keeps trying to dress at times like a kindergartener.

I don't mind her knee high socks. It's very Rachel Berry and she looks cute and adorable. Like her animal sweaters, which I actually didn't mind. Besides I think Lea is able to wear those outfits so that she looks like an innocent girl but also manages to look sneakily hot.

I want to know what Kurt's wearing in the very last scene with Blaine and My Love is Your Love. His short sleeved shirt had polka dots on it and um, my first thought was: 'Is that a woman's blouse?'

I did not like Kurt's outfit in his fight with Blaine in his bedroom. That woolly jumper made him look chubby. So unflattering (Sorry Chris)

Blaine's jacket for this episode's counselling scene ("you are the love of my life") is the same jacket as he was wearing when he first told Kurt that he loved him.

Nice bit of continuity but red just clashes Blaine. He always wears red, but it's not a nice colour on him.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:51 AM

But animal sweaters are sneakily hot! Oh how I miss them. They're also wildly in fashion, or at least they were a few months ago. The owl sweater she wore during "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (yes, I have seen "Bad Reputation" too many times) would be quite fashionable now. Owls are in. But the socks are not even sneakily hot, cause well, they're not hot... They're too "fetish of a Japanese bussiness man" (or whatever brilliant words Santana used to describe Rachel) to my tastes.

And I still can't figure out Mercedes' outfit in the final number. I rewatched the scene and it seriously looks like a skirt sometimes and sometimes like shorts. Anyways, I don't like it.

AwesomeWelles

AwesomeWelles

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:49 AM

And I still can't figure out Mercedes' outfit in the final number. I rewatched the scene and it seriously looks like a skirt sometimes and sometimes like shorts. Anyways, I don't like it.

I assumed that the stylists had overspent and just ripped the drapes down, stapled them around her and sent her out, with those deeply ugly boots.

I must own the horizontal striped cardigan/jumper/sweater/thing that Blaine had on during the sext scene. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not above begging, or bribery with [s]pictures of[/s] biscuits.

Iris de Balme

Iris de Balme

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:32 AM

I assumed that the stylists had overspent and just ripped the drapes down, stapled them around her and sent her out, with those deeply ugly boots.

That's one cheetah that should have run faster, thats for sure.

waterandaflame

waterandaflame

Video Archivist

• Interests:Theatre, film, tv (particularly Joss Whedon shows), reading etc

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I must own the horizontal striped cardigan/jumper/sweater/thing that Blaine had on during the sext scene. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not above begging, or bribery with [s]pictures of[/s] biscuits.

Found it, although it's apparently no longer avaliable. http://fashionofglee...ost/22009277241

Edited by waterandaflame, May 6, 2012 @ 11:27 AM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Well, when there's practically nothing that I enjoy at all about an episode there's usually at least some nice fashion to see. Folks looked really great at the prom. Rachel in particular stood out to me, but all the girls were pretty gorgeous. I loved Kurt's outfit as well. And it's not really fashion, I guess, but I love Blaine's hair without the gel. I know they went out of their way to make it look crazy poofy, but I still preferred it to the slicked down look.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Rachel looked like Lea. It was distracting.

Kurt looked awesome.

Everyone else looked better last year, particularly Brittany and Mercedes. (That hairdo on Mercedes...just no.)

The rest of the boys were all so boring this year.

TVgirl stuff

TVgirl stuff

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Why the F were everyone's dresses so sililar to last years? Even the hair was styled similarly in several cases. It'd be nice to see more variety. Rachel had the same dress color, ditto for Santana and Tina, Quinn's and Mercedes' were similar too. The entire episode was such a copy of last season's prom episode, same pop songs, same ending with the pictures and ballad (Dancing Queen and Take my Breath Away). Why is the writing so repetitive? Ugh.

Edited by TVgirl stuff, May 8, 2012 @ 10:07 PM.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I'm actually really liking Tina's new style now. She's wearing a lot of dresses, mostly in the mod style. Not my personal style, but it looks really good on her.

So the pink/red sweater that the new character wore? Turns out it's Marc by Marc Jacobs. Why sew a J.Crew label (retail for maybe $100-$150) on something that retails for probably more? It would have been fine if they had thrifted the piece instead of buying it new. Designer clothing ends up in thrift shops, you just have to take the time to search through all of it. Her jeans are Anthropologie too (something that definitely retails for $100. Again, it could have been thrifted.

svimouse

svimouse

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

So the pink/red sweater that the new character wore? Turns out it's Marc by Marc Jacobs. Why sew a J.Crew label (retail for maybe $100-$150) on something that retails for probably more? It would have been fine if they had thrifted the piece instead of buying it new. Designer clothing ends up in thrift shops, you just have to take the time to search through all of it. Her jeans are Anthropologie too (something that definitely retails for $100. Again, it could have been thrifted.

Well, for the purposes of the story, the clothes were from Walmart, so I guess I could see someone being concerned with popularity wanting to hide that fact (though sewing the label in was just stupid and where did she get the label anyway?) I wish they had bought some Walmart clothes for purposes of that scene because Marc is a ridiculously upscale label to use to play downscale and there may be some disappointed people looking for that top at Walmart.

marymonroe

marymonroe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

I think it is ridiculous they think they have to buy designer stuff for the show. She is poor actually go to wal mart and find her clothes why not?

Gee save the show some money. Have a tie with Wal Mart.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 4:46 AM

Designer clothing ends up in thrift shops, you just have to take the time to search through all of it.

And considering that Kurt supposedly canonically gets most of his clothes from thrift/consignment shops (or makes his own knock-offs), no one would even care.

svimouse

svimouse

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

And considering that Kurt supposedly canonically gets most of his clothes from thrift/consignment shops (or makes his own knock-offs), no one would even care.

Is that canon? I've only ever heard of that as fanon though it's as good an explanation as any.

To be honest, I'm fine with them dressing Marley in whatever clothes wardrobe decides to buy her (even if she is supposed to be too poor to afford them) since production probably has purchasing requirements that we don't know about, but I don't like when they deliberately misidentify designer clothing as bargain basement because it seems so unnecessary and I think sends a bad message. If I worked for the Marc line, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 5:48 AM

Is that canon? I've only ever heard of that as fanon though it's as good an explanation as any.

An explaination for Kurt's wardrobe was cut in the box scene from the Christmas episode last season. Blaine brought it up and Kurt admitted having an eye far bargains and getting things from the website Rue-La-La. So I suppose it exists in canon.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

Or the canon closet, as it were.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

And meta-canon, I guess, as the wardrobe people have said said something along those lines as well, as to how Kurt acquires his clothing.

svimouse

svimouse

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Blaine brought it up and Kurt admitted having an eye for bargains and getting things from the website Rue-La-La.

I remember when that clip came out thinking it was cute meta and a vague nod to fan wank, which I suppose is all that's needed since the entire cast is rolling in labels.

It would have been fine if they had thrifted the piece instead of buying it new. Designer clothing ends up in thrift shops, you just have to take the time to search through all of it.

So, I rewatched the tag sewing scene and Marley's mother did in fact say "even if they think it's second-hand, the tag will say it's high-class secondhand" so basically Marley's mother bought new Walmart clothes to pass for thrifted clothing...which what? I thought that's what I'd heard but it just seemed too stupid even for Glee. I can only surmise that the wardrobe department (or the writing staff) has never stepped foot in an actual Goodwill store ever.

Edited by svimouse, Sep 16, 2012 @ 8:25 PM.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

It's really stupid, because I actually love the wardrobe department's choices. In fact, I really miss Quinn's (and Dianna's) Anthropologie-filled wardrobe. I've been willing to overlook the plausibility of Emma buying JCrew, Kate Spade, and Anthropologie clothing (and you know she isn't thrifting) because she dresses pretty.

It was simple. Marley wears second-hand clothing. If she and her mother are aware of brand names, then they can thrift. They could have mentioned thrifted clothing. It would have been easy. Someone could have made a mention of donating that sweater to Goodwill with the same "stain" or something. That would have been "embarassing" enough.

I am noticing that for the past two episodes Tina has been wearing dresses all of the time. I'm liking her choices as "the new Rachel." She wears cute retro-style sheath dresses which look great on her.

PetuniaP

PetuniaP

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I loved that mirror image sign in Rachel and Kurt's apartment in the scene where Rachel is trying to cook dinner for Brody and accidently starts a fire. Anyone know where that's from?

marysue22

marysue22

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

True, Rachel seems to be more "Lea Michele" in her clothing choices now, but mehh..she looks hot!

marymonroe

marymonroe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

I guess I have seen those pictures of Lea as the made over Rachel so much I didn't even see the difference. Actaully the past few episodes the only real difference is boots instead of little heels or knee socks.

The tops, and the shorts she has worn the past 3 episodes even last season.

Edited by marymonroe, Sep 28, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I guess I have seen those pictures of Lea as the made over Rachel so much I didn't even see the difference. Actaully the past few episodes the only real difference is boots instead of little heels or knee socks.

The tops, and the shorts she has worn the past 3 episodes even last season.

For me it was more the makeup and the hair. So, so much hair. And while Rachel has worn 13 pounds of makeup before it always came across as a bit more natural. Now with the super smoky eye and the endless hair it really does seem more like Lea than Rachel to me.

BigDestiny

BigDestiny

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Kurt may have had a rough week, but he looked amazing during it. I especially liked the black top that he slept in/said goodbye to Finn in. Easily the hottest of all the sad mains. With any luck, over the next couple of weeks layers will remind Kurt of Blaine and he'll resort to wearing as little as possible.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

For me it was more the makeup and the hair. So, so much hair.

It has a life of its own. There was one shot during Rachel's confrontation with Finn in the auditorium in which it looked like it was self-powered. I also dislike the practice of parting it in the back and draping all of it over her shoulders like a set of curtains.

Kurt may have had a rough week, but he looked amazing during it.

His "Scientist" outfit caught my eye.

Edited by DEM, Oct 7, 2012 @ 1:53 PM.

marymonroe

marymonroe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I guess I have just seen to many paparazzi pictures of Lea with no make up and her hair in a bun to consider it just like Lea.

The makeup in the park was distracting, her lips were very shiney.

I also dislike the practice of parting it in the back and draping all of it over her shoulders like a set of curtains.

I am starting to think they do this for continuity in shots, oddly enough that glee worries about this.

I assume with time people will adjust and they will adjust the Rachel look a little bit.

Edited by marymonroe, Oct 7, 2012 @ 2:42 PM.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Rachel seems to have bought every single top that Helmut Lang seems to make. So that must be the new "Rachel" look. I do miss the old Rachel, she wore a lot of Marc by Marc Jacobs.

I think it's interesting that Quinn and Dianna both wear a lot of the same clothing, and now Rachel and Lea do!

I do like the confirmation that Kurt sews copycat designs of very expensive designer clothing. I'm going to assume he does more of that than finds deals online. Even if it was ebayed or sample saled, the original would still be pretty expensive.