Vampire Diaries in the Media

• Please log in to reply

773 replies to this topic

babybluez

babybluez

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:04 AM

Eww, that article really seems to hint that Klaus-in-Tyler might hook up with Caro and then Caro will find out and be pissed. Can we please not have Caro raped again, she suffered enough with the whole Damon deal in s1.

Stoicananess

Stoicananess

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

'The Vampire Diaries' Season 4: Elena's vampire side may see Damon in a new light as the love triangle deepens

More info on the events of the season finale including the status of Klaus and Joseph Morgan...which is the only thing that I actually cared about so, yeah.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

So really, Tyler never got to say goodbye to Caroline; he was just possessed by Klaus in that last scene. So Caroline wasn't saying her goodbyes to Tyler at all, but to Klaus. Thanks Julie Plec, thanks for that.

BerryIsHere

BerryIsHere

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

That was already Klaus in Tyler's body? Couple of things;
1.) Ugh, gross. Seriously, just... ugh. Using Caroline's feeling to cop a feel? God Klaus sucks on every level now
2.) Wow, so Tyler probably didn't agree to host Klaus and Bonnie just did it. Bonnie's dead to me and I cannot WAIT til the wraith of Caroline happens

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I don't get this love triangle talk. Elena has never chosen Damon in three years, it's never been a triangle. They keep touting it as that, it's the basis of the show but they won't give us one.

Stoicananess

Stoicananess

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

With The Secret Circle having been cancelled, does this mean that we'll get Kevin Williamson to end Julie PLec's reign of terror? Not that KW is a literary master, but at least the first 2 seasons were about something.

I swear, this finale (and her subsequent interviews) only emphasises exactly how juvenile her takes on vampires and romance and drama really are. She can't be bothered to write an actual compelling love triangle so she writes various characters paying lip service to one side or other of the "triangle" and then rewrites history to have Damon tell an Elena he doesn't even know what she wants out of life and tries to shove all that down the audiences' throats as if it were some sort of EPIC romance.

Then she giddily describes the potential antics of Klaus playing as Tyler as if the earlier mind!rape of Caroline hadn't left enough of a sour taste during the first season. Instead, she seems to think it the bestest idea EVAR and oh what crazy fun will those kids get into.

I'm glad Joseph Morgan will be back, but that's about my only reason to tune in next season...and I'll probably only be doing that sporadically and after reading the TWOP recap to decide whether or not its worth my time.

HereandNow

HereandNow

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

KW's pilot on FOX just got picked up, so I think his commitment to VD will stay limited, if it doesn't end completely.

Agreed about JP, though. Her questionable talents are better suited to today's soap opera. She has just the experience with what they do best: rewriting history, playing musical beds, dropped or nonsensical plotlines, etc. And her interviews are always a trip. It must be nice to be so blissfully unaware.

Edited by HereandNow, May 11, 2012 @ 6:36 PM.

Stoicananess

Stoicananess

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Finale Gamechanger, Elena's Choice and Who's a Goner

More from Julie Plec on turning Elena, the triangle, and Klaus. Also, this little gem:

TVLINE | Were you surprised it came this early? Most shows would save this for a series finale.

No, there was actually a moment at the beginning of Season 2 where Kevin and I thought we would get here by the end of Season 2. We didnít want to, so Iím glad we didnít. But we were following the path of her character. Heroines are very difficult to write. Itís very difficult to keep them dynamic and fresh and new. We knew that we would reach a breaking point where we didnít really want to see Elena continue to go through the same thing again and again and again.

Really? REALLY?! Maybe if you had bothered to give her something else to do other than being stuck in the middle of a lame ass love triangle. For fuck's sake...

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

In other news, Candice Accola and Zach Roerig were apparently dating and now they've apparently split up.

http://www.thehollyw...oerig-break-up/

Janieful

Janieful

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

TVD doesn't start until October 11th. That's a long wait! I was wondering, since most of my other shows have started filming already. I can tell from Twitter that the stars are still gallivanting around the globe.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

TVD doesn't start until October 11th. That's a long wait! I was wondering, since most of my other shows have started filming already. I can tell from Twitter that the stars are still gallivanting around the globe.

I wonder why. That's four weeks after last year's season premiere.

beakermuppet

beakermuppet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I think it's to reduce the number of hiatus periods.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

No earth shattering reveals, but some great interaction among the cast.

Vampire Diaries Comic-Con 2012 panel

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

No earth shattering reveals, but some great interaction among the cast.

Vampire Diaries Comic-Con 2012 panel

Y'all, I definitely did not watch all 45 minutes of this, but middle-aged woman commented that she knows the target demographic of this show is a younger crowd (and Ian Somerhalder makes some "flattering" comment about how young she looks). Then the woman asked if we can expect some more adult themes in season 4.

Herein lies one of my biggest problems with this show. Julie Plec doesn't understand the type of show that she is writing and what product she is actually releasing. It would be one thing if JP never claimed to be these things, but based on her comments, I think she definitely believes the show is something that it's not. During the panel she basically said that she didn't know if the show could possibly get much more adult because of all the nakedness. Paul Wesley astutely responded that nakedness doesn't make a show adult. I'm not at all surprised to hear JP respond that way, but it was jarring nonetheless. It's not like I ever thought the show was trying to be adult/deep, but she clearly thinks it is. I think that was a recurring theme with the conversation and the questions, when are we going deeper? Probably never.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Julie Plec doesn't understand the type of show that she is writing and what product she is actually releasing. It would be one thing if JP never claimed to be these things, but based on her comments, I think she definitely believes the show is something that it's not. During the panel she basically said that she didn't know if the show could possibly get much more adult because of all the nakedness.

Sounds like Plec is pretending this is True Blood, to be honest.

Paul Wesley astutely responded that nakedness doesn't make a show adult.

Sounds like Wesley is pretending this is Teen Wolf instead.

To me, Elena's transition is a way to capitalize the hype of Breaking Dawn - Part 2 and nothing else. Judging by the panel link, I can't say they have a plot beyond that.

Edited by wildling, Jul 17, 2012 @ 10:26 AM.

Kara1940

Kara1940

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Julie Plec doesn't understand the type of show that she is writing and what product she is actually releasing. It would be one thing if JP never claimed to be these things, but based on her comments, I think she definitely believes the show is something that it's not. During the panel she basically said that she didn't know if the show could possibly get much more adult because of all the nakedness.

Sounds like Plec is pretending this is True Blood, to be honest.

Well I think we are talking about two different things here, adult maturity and adult content. I agree that this show does pretty much push the limits of adult content in terms of violence and sexuality. But in terms of emotional maturity, I think this show is at about right where Julie Plec would have it, it's at a teenage level. Which for me at times is disappointing and frustrating. There are times they do address darker more adult themes in terms of abuse, rape, violence against woman, sexism, racism, ect. But they either can't or won't follow through on these darker themes.

Paul Wesley astutely responded that nakedness doesn't make a show adult.

Sounds like Wesley is pretending this is Teen Wolf instead.

Well I don't watch Teen Wolf so I can't comment there (though maybe I should I hear great things.) But I did want to comment on what Paul said, again I think this is about two different things, adult content and adult maturity.

To me, Elena's transition is a way to capitalize the hype of Breaking Dawn - Part 2 and nothing else. Judging by the panel link, I can't say they have a plot beyond that.

I agree. Though I do not have as much hope for vamp!Elena, I'm afraid it will be yet another device to further push Delena and Stelena, and waist the opportunity to explore and do something interesting with Elena's character. If that's the case, I'll take Vamp!Bella over Vamp!Elena any day, I hate to admit.

Edited by Kara1940, Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:26 PM.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

I agree that this show does pretty much push the limits of adult content in terms of violence and sexuality.

I don't see how since The Vampire Diaries has about the same levels of violence or sexuality as the average CSI episode IMO. Frankly, I've seen more adult context in Glee and that is supposed to be a teen show.

Edited by wildling, Jul 17, 2012 @ 5:04 PM.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Well, at least they don't have pregnant vamp!Caroline... though I really wouldn't put it past Julie at this point.

I'm just hoping that this journey focuses on Elena becoming a vampire and transitioning and not about Elena remembering about stuff Damon made her forget and watching them 'find each other' while Elena still struggles with her feelings for Stefan. But alas, I have no doubt that it will happen so I just have to accept the fact and prepare myself for it.

And I swear if Caroline forgives Klaus for what he'll most likely do with Caroline as Tyler, I'll punch a brick wall. I mean, I don't know for certain that Klaus will take advantage of Caroline but I think I'm making a pretty educated guess at this point. I don't want Caroline to EVER forgive Klaus if this happens. Not at the end of the season, not even at the end of the series. And I would like Caroline to be even just a little bit angry at Bonnie for casting this spell instead of forgiving her right away. Because although she saved Caroline's life, she should still tell everyone what she did, and I have a feeling Bonnie will try to keep this from everyone, including Caroline, to 'protect them' or whatever.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

Well I think we are talking about two different things here, adult maturity and adult content. I agree that this show does pretty much push the limits of adult content in terms of violence and sexuality. But in terms of emotional maturity, I think this show is at about right where Julie Plec would have it, it's at a teenage level. Which for me at times is disappointing and frustrating. There are times they do address darker more adult themes in terms of abuse, rape, violence against woman, sexism, racism, ect. But they either can't or won't follow through on these darker themes.

I do agree that they are different things and I will just clarify that I interpreted the woman's question to be about adult maturity (as did Paul I think) and Julie either thinks adult maturity/content are the same or she was ignoring that they are indeed not the same thing. I of course was referring to the maturity aspect because there aren't that many shows that don't go to the adult content already just for shock value. In my opinion, that's not special.

I will also say that while the show uses what I interpret as themes of abuse, rape, violence against women, sexism (they have never really taken up racism in a significant way) they haven't really addressed them because in my opinion the show (nor the showrunner) is ever trying to tell a deeper story or make a point with any of these themes. Just drama. Just reinforcing what you said, Kara1940. I mean there have been a couple of times when a character questions something weakly (Alaric, Caroline), but then it's largely ignored.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

I of course was referring to the maturity aspect because there aren't that many shows that don't go to the adult content already just for shock value.

Actually, I believe its Plec's show the one that goes for shock value: teenage drinking, underage girls having sex with vampires!, girlfriend cheating on her boyfriend(s) with his brother, shocking deaths!, etc.

It's not exactly what I would call mature and, after awhile, its not much of a shocker either.

Well, at least they don't have pregnant vamp!Caroline... though I really wouldn't put it past Julie at this point.

I forgot: teenage preganacy [with werewolves]! If it wasn't mature for "uncle Jon" and Isobel, I don't see how it could be a mature move for Caroline and Tyler either.

Edited by wildling, Jul 18, 2012 @ 12:27 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

According to twitter both Candice Accola and Michael Trevino are en route to the Teen Choice Awards that's taking place tomorrow.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I of course was referring to the maturity aspect because there aren't that many shows that don't go to the adult content already just for shock value.

Actually, I believe its Plec's show the one that goes for shock value: teenage drinking, underage girls having sex with vampires!, girlfriend cheating on her boyfriend(s) with his brother, shocking deaths!, etc.

It's not exactly what I would call mature and, after awhile, its not much of a shocker either.

For clarification, I was referring to a question that someone asked at Comic Con regarding TVD's lack of maturity. So I was saying that Plec's show is one of the many that goes for the shock value of "adult content" in teenage drinking etc and NOT maturity. So basically we are saying the same thing and at this point it's getting old.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

For clarification, I was referring to a question that someone asked at Comic Con regarding TVD's lack of maturity. So I was saying that Plec's show is one of the many that goes for the shock value of "adult content" in teenage drinking etc and NOT maturity.

I've always thought the main problem were those "titillating" plots such as Elena living with the Salvatore, Alaric moving in with her or some other version of an older man having sex with a teenage girl rather than the cheating, drinking or underage sex.

Its like they are so desperate to pull a mature plot they fail at both juvenile and adult themes.

Bunty

Bunty

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

This was posted in the Olympics forum-- the Vampire Diaries cast congratulating Gabby Douglas for her Olympic medal and wishing her luck on Tuesday.

The Vampire Diaries - Congrats Gabrielle Douglas and Team U.S.A.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I thought it was so sweet of them to take the time to make that video just because they heard that Gabby likes the show. Super cool of TVD to do that. I wish we could have seen her face when she watched it (Bob Costas showed Missy Franklin a video that Justin Bieber made for her and she was adorably freaking out).

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Hell Yes, Faye will be in the house!!!

Bunty

Bunty

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

I wish we could have seen her face when she watched it

You can.

Entertainment Tonight

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 3:51 AM

Season 3 bloopers

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 4:19 AM

I don't know the if this is the right thread to post this query in but is there still a TVD fanfic recommendation thread around?

[Just so you know for next time—the Questions for the Mod thread would be a good place for this kind of question. TWoP Howard]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Oct 25, 2012 @ 11:30 PM.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I don't know the if this is the right thread to post this query in but is there still a TVD fanfic recommendation thread around?

It's on page two (at least right now) of the General Gabbery forum.