TVD Ratings & Scheduling

• Please log in to reply

385 replies to this topic

vgerd

vgerd

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

All of the CW shows seemed to go down quite badly in the ratings this week for some reason.

If the dip applied to all CW shows, it actually could be because of the Sunbeam/DirecTV thing. It makes as much sense as anything else.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

Apparentely that's all it damaged, according to TV by the Numbers - and TV Line - The Big Bang Theory beat American Idol both in the ratings as well as the demos.

All of the CW shows seemed to go down quite badly in the ratings this week for some reason

That doesn't make sense to me: Isn't this the week where most shows returned from hiatus? If anything the ratings should've gone up, not down IMO.

Edited by zomb, Jan 22, 2012 @ 1:46 PM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I think American Idol is a convenient excuse (because I think even Idol's numbers were down) for the low ratings.

I just don't see any other excuses. The drop was just too big. I'm not a fan of this season, but it's been really stable so far. No reason for such a drop except Idol's premier. And despite the latter's drop, its ratings are still good enough.

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Where are the viewers? Demon and Elena finally kissed, and now more than ever this season to be it for the couple.

I've never seen more buzz made about a couple since Gossip Girl's Chuck/Blair. Don't tell me it was all just noise.

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

I do believe American Idol played a part. Last Thursday was the season premiere after all. Frankly this season hasn't been good. The writing has been on decline since mid season-2. They've become too plot driven. True character moments are rare.

DeadlyEuphoric

DeadlyEuphoric

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Where are the viewers? Demon and Elena finally kissed, and now more than ever this season to be it for the couple.

I've never seen more buzz made about a couple since Gossip Girl's Chuck/Blair. Don't tell me it was all just noise.

Maybe after 2.5 years they are used to TVD's "a moment for the couple, then things go wrong and they hit a low point and then we fix things up in the finale for another moment" routine, and seeing how the promotion for the last two episodes were all about Stefan and Stefan/Elena they figured the writers were going to spend that time working on that couple now and are not interested (especially the ripper storyline means we'll probably get whiny emo Stefan now if he is on his redemption path and not everyone can stand him)... I know some were not looking forward to this episode (or the one before that but especially this one) ever since the synopsis came -and the promo didn't help- and some decided to skip it after hearing the Canadian spoilers.. That is all assuming the ratings are this way not becuase of the "technical" issues like Sunbeam/DirecTV (given CW generally suffered it may have been this) and American Idol...

Kara1940

Kara1940

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I think this goes to show Damon and Elena, or any "ship" for that matter is not enough to sustain high ratings. Besides this show thrives off of the controversy of the triangle, not any one pairing.

I do believe American Idol played a part. Last Thursday was the season premiere after all. Frankly this season hasn't been good. The writing has been on decline since mid season-2. They've become too plot driven. True character moments are rare.

I agree with this. I think's it's a little of American Idol, and a little of fans becoming disengaged with heavy plot contrived shock endings every episode that for me at least leave me feeling pretty blah anymore. Well, I admit Elijah's return was the exception for me, I expect he'll be a big draw when the show returns. I hope they have some great things play out for him to match my high expectations of the Originals story line.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

I was surprised when I was checking my DVR programs for Thursday and saw that Vampire Diaries wasn't cued up. Apparently the next Vampire Diaries episode airs on Feb 2nd? How did I miss that when they showed the preview for the next episode??

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

I don’t remember them saying that, either. It’s a common practice during January, though—that way we will get an uninterrupted run during February sweeps.

poddroid2

poddroid2

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

I didn't see this posted yet.

Our Town - Aired January 12, 2012 (pre-Idol IIRC)

1.2/3 adults 18-49 rating (2.86 million)

TV by the Numbers

vgerd

vgerd

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

TVD's ratings slump appears to be over, at least for now:

'The Vampire Diaries' love-triangle seen by 3 million on The CW

The Vampire Diaries' audience rallied last night (Thursday), also recording an impressive demo score.

The Damon-Rebekah drama in 'Dangerous Liaisons' attracted 3m (1.2) to The CW in the 8pm hour, its highest rating since January 5.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

At the CW, The Vampire Diaries was even with a 1.3 adults 18-49 the same as last week, and The Secret Circle was also even with last week, at a 0.8 adults 18-49 rating.

The show got a total of 2.8 million viewers accoding to TV by the Numbers.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 4:15 AM

Those were the fast national ratings. Final ratings from TV by the Numbers: 2.9 million viewers and 1.4 A18-49.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

source:

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.4 million, 1.1) had a 15 percent drop, which put Secret Circle (1.3 million, 0.6) down a tenth.

The competition was fierce last night -- Big Bang Theory, Missing and Idol -- but the show usually holds up well, not this time. Plus Missing fell 13% as well, Big Bang and Idol didn't over-perform so maybe TVD is losing viewers.

source:

CW's The Vampire Diaries fell two tenths to a season (series?) low matching 1.1 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 1.3 rating last week.

Edited by Mia Nina, Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:49 PM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

If the dip applied to all CW shows, it actually could be because of the Sunbeam/DirecTV thing. It makes as much sense as anything else.

Was there another company fighting with DirecTV? I know Tribune, which owns WPIX/CW in the NY Metro Area was pulled but that didn't happen until Saturday/Sunday so it would affect this week's ratings, not last week's.

Janieful

Janieful

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Tribune and DirecTV better resolve their issues by April 15th. I'm glad TVD isn't playing this week. Our local CW network has been closed for business for over 24 hours. I can get over missing my other CW shows, but not the Vampire Diaries! I know I can watch it on my computer, but it's not the same.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

Janieful - thanks for the reminder, I was totally freaking out about missing SPN this week but it's not going to be back until the 20th. Stupid Tribune/DireTV better have their crap together by then.

vgerd

vgerd

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Will 'Gossip Girl,' 'Ringer' Survive To Next Season?

(snip)

Vampire Diaries
It's not only The CW's top-rated show, but it had the smallest decline of all the returning network shows -- 3 percent. How good is that? The average decline of the rest of the schedule is 24 percent. "Vampire Diaries" isn't going anywhere.

StefLena

StefLena

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

Vampire Diaries
It's not only The CW's top-rated show, but it had the smallest decline of all the returning network shows -- 3 percent. How good is that? The average decline of the rest of the schedule is 24 percent. "Vampire Diaries" isn't going anywhere.

YES, I love it, I love it. I think I will go buy three TV's and tune them on the VD everytime they come on. I never want this show to end. :)

Edited by StefLena, Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:44 PM.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

Hit a series low 1.0 in the 18/49 demo, and barely above 2 million viewers.

JACBarrett

JACBarrett

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

"Hit a series low 1.0 in the 18/49 demo, and barely above 2 million viewers"

I'm not surprised this season has been very up and down. The whole Orginal plot has got on my nerves. They need to get back to the core characters and reduce the number of villians ie. Klaus and his whole bloody family!

HereandNow

HereandNow

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Series low? Seems like Julie Plec needs to find a new course of action- pimping herself out to the fangirls doesn't seem to be working out like she thought it would. Can't say I'm sorry. The show has turned to utter garbage. There's barely a decent storyline or likeable character around. But I'm sure Plec. and co. will just blame it on American Idol.

Sweets

Sweets

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I blame it some on all of the stupid breaks. I think they should start later in the year or make more episodes. My vote would be for more episodes...though I know that wont happen.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Not everyone that watches via Direct TV has a neilsen box so not buying that excuse. With all the Delena hype for this episode it's quite interesting it didn't gain viewers from last week. It's about time the producers realise that the vocal fans on the interenet don't make up or speak for the entire viewership of TVD. I doubt they make up 5% of total viewers.

Talita

Talita

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

IMO, it had nothing to do with Delena or stelena or forwood or originals, etc.. Pretty bad week for a lot of shows...

Monday: TV Ratings Monday: 'Voice,' 'Smash,' 'Dancing,' 'Mother,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Bones' Hit Lows

Tuesday: TV Ratings Tuesday: 'Private Practice,' 'Glee,' 'NCIS,' 'Cougar Town,' 'Last Man' Hit Lows

Wednesday: TV Ratings Wednesday: 'American Idol,' 'Law & Order: SVU,' 'Modern Family,' 'Survivor,' 'Suburgatory,' 'Revenge' At Lows

Thursday: TV Ratings Thursday: 'American Idol,' 'Community,' 'Office,' 'Touch,' 'Awake,' 'Missing,' 'Rules,' 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Secret Circle' Hit Lows

Edited by Talita, Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

pepperclove

pepperclove

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I do wonder if the CW should take a page from the cable networks and the way many of them are now doing shows in seasonal blocks with minimal breaks. These frequent, short breaks really destroy momentum and make it hard to know when the new episodes are on unless you follow a show very closely or watch the channel a lot to see commercials - and what else is there to watch on the CW? Nikita is really, really good this season (not that anyone is watching - check it out for a really well-written show with a bad a-- heroine, if you haven't given it a chance), and I still watch Supernatural, but the rest of their shows have little to no appeal to me. I'm obsessed enough with this show to make sure I know when the new episodes are on, but I can see how a casual fan wouldn't pay attention to whether it's yet another rerun or a new ep.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

I've heard a lot of complaints over the Original storyline, I think most people are tired of it and just want to move beyond that.

charm3d

charm3d

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

The Originals storyline, especially with the whiney Klaus, has been a real turn off for me so I'm hoping that changes but the long breaks have done more to harm to my overall interest in the show.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

The season 4 premiere got a 1.6 rating in the 18/49 demo, matching "Last Resort" on ABC and beating "30 Rock" on NBC

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

From TvByTheNumbers

On the CW, The Vampire Diaries earned a 1.2 adults 18-49 rating, down 25% from last week's 1.6. Beauty And The Beast garnered a 0.7 adults 18-49 rating, down 42% from last week's 1.2.

Vampire Diaries
1.2 18-49A
2.74 Million