The Real World/Road Rules Challenge

• Please log in to reply

7413 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

David Jacoby's "fantasy" column from Grantland. His love for Marlon is still out there; he says that Marlon "hit for the cycle" this week.

Who was it that saw Knight's blowjob miming and shouted, "Any girl in the house!"? That guy needs a kick in the dick.
It sounded like Johnny to me. 

First: Wow. Shocker. Second: Ten kicks to the dick, then.

Seriously, in regards to TJ Lavin sucking . . . who could replace him? Right now, I'm thinking Devyn, Sarah, Coral (if BMP provides proper daycare for her baby) . . . or maybe interns could go tomb-hunting and try and find the sarcophogus where Timmy sleeps. Some days, I miss the corny bastard.

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 26, 2013 @ 1:20 PM.

George Can'tStandYa

George Can'tStandYa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

Thank you, to KerleyQ above. I can not get over Sarah's sanctimony when we have seen how she acts when she is in the cat bird seat. She was trying to throw challenges...her beahviour is a slow motion re-enactment of Paula's from the Rivals Season. After wes poured the bottle of soda on Cara Maria, Paula was acting all the bitch to her only to be taken down hard by laurel, then started whining about people being mean. Sarah has two roles the victimizer or the victim, and darling you cant be both.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

I can't figure out why Zach was wearing Knight's shirt. Where did that bromance come from?

(As an aside, the fact that the iPad did not try to autocorrect bromance or even put red squiggly lines under it makes me a little sad)

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

mojoween . . . when did that happen? If it was during the Arena, it could've been a show of support. I'm thinking that BMP gives each player multiple uniform shirts.

ETA: Wound up seeing the "bonus clip." Cute that CT is as scared as bugs as any of us . . . or maybe just the mutated insects roaming Thailand. Anybody else flash back to his ex-roommate Ace and the bug helmet?

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 27, 2013 @ 12:30 PM.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

Zach was wearing it during the elimination, but he also made a comment earlier about supporting Knight. I'd never seen them interact before.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Weren't Zach and Knight in the same alliance last season? It doesn't really surprise me that they're friends. Also they're both stupid lunheads, so they probably have fascinating discussions together.

CT and the bugs was hilarious.

Marlon is very interesting. Male bisexuality is rare as it is on TV so I like to see it being explored. Isn't Frank bisexual as well though?

Trishelle is just ridiculous. I also liked her last season, but that was shitty. And I felt bad for Sarah. I think the reason she and Laurel were so tough on CM on cutthroat was that the last (and only) season she was on, Fresh Meat 2, CM panicked and got sent home first, something they both witnessed firsthand. They were scared that it would happen again when the pressure would be high like in the finale. It doesn't make them right but I get where they were coming from.

Manhattan

Manhattan

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

Zach may be tight with Preston and Knight because of his relationship with Ashlee from their RWNO season.
I don't know how serious they are, but it's apparently more than just your typical RW/Challenge showmance. She's also been a pretty good influence on him, he's become much more tolerable.

Edited by Manhattan, Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:42 PM.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

I didn't know Emily/Paula have gone 3-for-3 until I looked in Wikipedia. How much credit does Paula deserve? The only time she won was back in Rivals, and she wound up riding on Evelyn's back, winning five out of nine missions. Take that away, and Paula doesn't look so hot.

I don't actually think Paula's that terrible of a competitor, it's just that none of these challenges seem to play to her strengths.  She's decently agile (I'm thinking of that Gauntlet/Inferno where she beat Aneesa pretty handily) and she's not stupid, but she's not that strong.  And unfortunately, almost all of these challenges now play to physical strength, so I don't think she's actually helping Emily all that much.  Though, I suppose part of being a good partner is figuring out how to work most effectively with them to come in first, so by that standard, she's doing ok.  I can't stand Paula though (hated her since Key West), so I hope she and Emily get taken down. 

Come to think of it, I wish Aneesa and Paula had been partners for Rivals - they clearly had a decently good rivalry when they had 3 or 4 challenges in a row where they were knocking each other out in either Gauntlets or Infernos.  They seem to like each other, but I prefer that definition of Rivals (competitors who have a history, but may respect each other) than the definition the challenge is using (two people that can't stand each other).  

Edited by bparhad, Jul 28, 2013 @ 12:23 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

Thinking about the hype over the next Arena . . . what if TJ (okay, the production monkeys) set up the electric chairs and the scary stuff, whipped up the fear for the two sets of girls slated to compete  . . . and then he'd say, "Guys? We're not doing this. Trishelle quit, Sarah was booted, and there's no need for this. Everybody can go back to the villa now."

Nepote

Nepote

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

maybe interns could go tomb-hunting and try and find the sarcophogus where Timmy sleeps.

Timmy is listed as a producer for Redneck Island. Some of the challenges on that show have a Challenge-lite feel to them, I guess his years of RW/RR experience are being put to use.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

Good for him. What network is that on? Seriously miss him . . . he was cornier than a Nebraskan's stool, but he was good people. And unlike some people (MARK), he didn't say he was retiring, then come back to rob cradles.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

I don't know if anyone saw the food fight promo.  I wasn't really paying attention when it ran.  Who was crying about how she had a ketchup phobia?  A ketchup phobia?  Who has a ketchup phobia and how can she eat in the vast majority of restaurants in America?  I know that phobias are irrational, but this is the exact type of weird phobia that could paralyze you from going anywhere or doing anything, let alone The Challenge.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

It's called mortuusequusphobia. Lest you think I have a kung-fu grip on Latin and/or phobia words  . . . that's the episode title. Weirder than Frankie's fear of big boats, I'll say that much.

Question: will mortuusequusphobia (thank goodness for CTRL-C) be said out loud? And if so, will we be treated to a half-minute of players trying to pronounce it during interview segments?

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

who is struggling with his own issues of race and sexuality.

Is he struggling with his sexuality, though? If his THs are to be believed, he seems quite confident and at peace with who he is, or is at least on the road to getting there. Trishelle was completely out of line and is an absolute idiot, but I think she was irritated by Aneesa making every little thing about herself, which she is guilty of on more than one occasion. Aneesa did a TH after that left me thinking "did she listen to a single word that Marlon said?" I think it's great that she wants to be helpful, but there was such a huge disconnect between what Marlon was saying and how Aneesa was trying to help, which fits Trishelle's initial complaint that Aneesa likes to talk and talk about nothing at all.

This is what Jemmye probably heard, and then decided to be a shit-disturber; and since Trishelle has the intellect of a cucumber and can barely form sentences, she was completely unprepared to defend her stance to Aneesa and went for low-blows instead of actually making her valid point. Hence why I think all of these people suck.

Sarah just can't win...that was messed up to do that to her two challenges in a row.

When you're thrown into a producer-selected team, half the battle is working with that person. Obviously Vinny was beyond Sarah's control, but Sarah's pitch to Trishelle was pathetic. Despite being kind of an asshole, Dustin  somehow managed to keep Trishelle, Nany and Alton from quitting in BOTS for an entire season and Sarah couldn't even convince Trishelle to last one more round? Maybe more went down than we were shown, but I think Sarah is a shitty teammate. She was a bitch to CM, she was superior to Devyn, and I find it hard to believe she made Trishelle want to stay in the game.

Trishelle quit and Trishelle sucks, but I don't feel that bad for Sarah.

I don't actually think Paula's that terrible of a competitor, it's just that none of these challenges seem to play to her strengths.

Exactly - her main strength is running/endurance, which is very handy in a final but never comes up in an Elimination round. And, as you noted, her IQ is above that of a sandwich, which makes her one of the more intelligent people on the show - but even then, puzzles and strategy games are more about spatial reasoning and quick thinking, both of which are negated by Paula's frantic nature. She should really count her lucky stars she's been paired back-to-back with two of the best ever female competitors.

It upsets me to see that the accepted power structure has returned, with all the Floaters kowtowing to whatever the majority wants. Nany/Jonna seem to understand that without numbers, they are screwed. Yet everyone else seems to think eliminating floaters and rookies will advance their game by not pissing anyone off - but that will only get you so far. Right, Paula? (Who am I kidding. She still hasn't figured that out.)

Edited by Oholibamah, Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:41 PM.

jsm1125

jsm1125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

Wouldn't it simultaneously suck and be pretty amusing if, in a potential Rivals 3, Sarah came back and was partnered with Shauvon? 

It upsets me to see that the accepted power structure has returned, with all the Floaters kowtowing to whatever the majority wants. Nany/Jonna seem to understand that without numbers, they are screwed. Yet everyone else seems to think eliminating floaters and rookies will advance their game by not pissing anyone off - but that will only get you so far. Right, Paula?

This! I found it incredibly telling that in the first episode of this season, the general reaction to CT's potential plan to vote for Frank and Johnny was a "why would you EVER vote them in?" What's worse is that Paula, Camilla, and Diem, for all of their many faults, are decent competitors! 

Edited by jsm1125, Jul 30, 2013 @ 1:33 AM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 2:34 AM

mortuusequusphobia

I'm really confused. That means fear of dead horses (so I guess it's Cara Maria crying?) but I don't see how it relates to Ketchup, unless she thinks there are dead horses in the sauce?

Trishelle was completely out of line and is an absolute idiot, but I think she was irritated by Aneesa making every little thing about herself, which she is guilty of on more than one occasion.

I could get that if Aneesa was being loud or making a scene or picking a fight with Knight, but she wasn't. She was having a private conversation where she was saying that if he wanted to talk he could always talk to her because she has had a similar experience, being biaracial and queer herself. Even if she was making it all about herself, she was only doing it wrt Marlon, so I really don't get why Trishelle was so upset.

And I really don't see how Sarah could have done anything differently. Trishelle didn't want to be portrayed as a racist (which by the way I don't think she is) and realized that she had absolutely no friend or ally in the game, so she just left. Sarah tried to appeal to her saying that she could win money and that Sarah was affected too but what else could she have done?

What's worse is that Paula, Camilla, and Diem, for all of their many faults, are decent competitors! 

That's really it though: they're not competing with the guys, and the guys need them as votes, so the guys have zero incentive to vote them in and since they don't risk being voted in by the guys, the girls have zero incentive rocking the boat. In BOTE Diem had no problam tossing Paula and Dunbar or Mark and Robin in the elimination round because they were direct competition to her. But here, why would she? In the next challenge, maybe she'll need Johnny, maybe not, but she can have her options open. And I don't think Camila or Paula would ever vote against Johnny.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

jsm1125 . . . I wouldn't wish Shavoun on anyone. Not even Trisha deserves Shavoun, and that bitch was more heinous than her in RW: Sydney.

Isuzu . . . from what I read, ketchup is comparable to horse blood, hence the term. "Heinzaphobia" would make more sense, but you'd have to get trademark law involved, as well as John Kerry and his missus, and that might be a pain.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

That's really it though: they're not competing with the guys, and the guys need them as votes, so the guys have zero incentive to vote them in and since they don't risk being voted in by the guys, the girls have zero incentive rocking the boat.

But, the problem is that, yes, the guys will reciprocate and keep them in, but only up to a point.  The JEK group has always had a tight inner circle that they supplement with hangers on, but those hangers on are disposable once they are no longer needed or their best interests conflict with the best interests of that tight inner circle.  Even if he's not directly competing with them himself, Johnny will still prioritize the women in terms of who he will and won't vote in when the numbers dwindle.   In other words, I'm guessing that Paula and Camilla are the two he'd prioritize over the rest of the women.  So if the other women refusing to vote him in think that they're engaging in "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours," they're not one hundred percent right.  And that is the part that it kills me the rest of the cast hasn't figured out yet.  

Every season, we see the "middle of the road" cast members thinking they're protecting their best interests by playing along with whatever form of the JEK alliance that shows up that season.  But, they're just signing on to be disposable vote minions.  Yes, they'll work on cutting those who aren't voting their way loose first, but the second those people are gone, guess who's next?  It's not one of their inner circle, it's you.  It just seems far smarter to get rid of them so that, when it comes down to the end, it's not a certainty that JEK control who goes to the finale.  

chadritt

chadritt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

I'm really confused. That means fear of dead horses (so I guess it's Cara Maria crying?) but I don't see how it relates to Ketchup, unless she thinks there are dead horses in the sauce?

mortuusequusphobia is a fear of ketchup, not dead horses.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 5:11 PM

Sarah tried to appeal to her saying that she could win money and that Sarah was affected too but what else could she have done?

Sarah's plea to Trishelle was that Trishelle leaving effected Sarah - we were shown very little attempt by Sarah to reason with how leaving effected Trishelle. And for a self-centred person like Trishelle, that should be Human Behaviour 101 for Sarah. Maybe it's the case Trishelle had made up her mind and nothing Sarah said could change it, and at that point I would indeed think Sarah got a raw deal. But as it stands, LV dragged the sinking boat known as Trishelle all the way to second place by appealing to how leaving would effect her life outside the game, and I believe that had Sarah said "listen, who cares what they say, I've got your back for better or worse. Let's just do this thing" then maybe she would have considered staying. And then I would agree that Sarah did all she could. (I'm also willing to accept the possibility that this happened and we weren't shown it, but Sarah's past behavior is a good indicator that it probably didn't.)

I could get that if Aneesa was being loud or making a scene or picking a fight with Knight, but she wasn't. She was having a private conversation where she was saying that if he wanted to talk he could always talk to her because she has had a similar experience, being biaracial and queer herself.

Fair enough - I inadvertently gave Trishelle way too much credit to say she correctly identified how Aneesa was being a bit of a jackass in that scene. I think she was just looking to be a bitch and Jemmye turned it into a scene by whispering in Aneesa's ear. But I maintain that Aneesa bugged in that scene, and I may have been tempted to pull her aside and caution her against thinking that her experiences make her the expert on everybody else's experiences. Props and all for trying to be helpful, but I find it condescending to insert oneself as an authority figure on an issue and offer advice to somebody who doesn't sound like they need it.

Edited by Oholibamah, Jul 30, 2013 @ 5:15 PM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 5:55 PM

But, the problem is that, yes, the guys will reciprocate and keep them in, but only up to a point.  The JEK group has always had a tight inner circle that they supplement with hangers on, but those hangers on are disposable once they are no longer needed or their best interests conflict with the best interests of that tight inner circle.  Even if he's not directly competing with them himself, Johnny will still prioritize the women in terms of who he will and won't vote in when the numbers dwindle.   In other words, I'm guessing that Paula and Camilla are the two he'd prioritize over the rest of the women.  So if the other women refusing to vote him in think that they're engaging in "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours," they're not one hundred percent right.  And that is the part that it kills me the rest of the cast hasn't figured out yet.

They realized that in that episode but it's already too late: Diem, Paula and Camila have three votes, and Theresa is also loosely allied to Johnny so she wouldn't vote against them. Nany/Jonna and Cooke/CM can't control the guys vote anymore. Even if Sarah had stayed, she'd probably have been voting with Johnny anyway. It's tricky because with this season, the girls assume that Paula and Emily will be in the finale no matter what, but the other two places are really open: Camila is dragged down by Jemmye and Aneesa/Diem is not that strong. The other three teams probably consider that they can win their way there, even if they have to go through elimination challenges.

mortuusequusphobia is a fear of ketchup, not dead horses.

The Latin and Greek words litterally mean fear (phobia) of dead (mortuus) horses (equus), hence why I was confused since, by reading the thread, I knew it was a fear of ketchup and I didn't know how the two related. Thank you for explaining Lantern7, even if it still seems far fetched.

Props and all for trying to be helpful, but I find it condescending to insert oneself as an authority figure on an issue and offer advice to somebody who doesn't sound like they need it.

I don't think that's what she was doing. She just offered her ear if he needed to talk, she didn't seem like she wanted to give him advices.

Edited by Isuzu, Jul 30, 2013 @ 5:55 PM.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 8:35 AM

I think I understand why Sarah didn't try very hard with trichelle. Trichelle has at least two quitting scenes on every show she's appeared on. What's the point? Talk her down today, do it again tomorrow. I think Sarah employed a combination of not giving a crap about Trichelle, and Sarah made her prove her threat.

Frankly, Trichelle always seems so bitter that she's not the hot piece of ass anymore. Sorry, we've all moved on from frosted lip stick and daddy issues.

Manhattan

Manhattan

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

Trishelle's problems went beyond other castmembers, she had serious problems with/about production.  She was absolutely postively leaving.  Sarah knew there was nothing she could do to change Trishelle's mind, which is why we did not see her trying to appease her. 

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

Trishelle's problems went beyond other castmembers, she had serious problems with/about production.

What kind of problems?

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

Trishelle's problems went beyond other castmembers, she had serious problems with/about production. She was absolutely postively leaving. Sarah knew there was nothing she could do to change Trishelle's mind, which is why we did not see her trying to appease her.

What kind of problems?

Reading through her tweets, I think a big part of it was the deplorable living conditions. She says she got an e-mail from MTV, not allowing her to talk about it.

Her twitters has so much shit. Her and Aneesa are still going at it and she says she lost respect for TJ when he started hooking up with castmates. I heard of him and RR Cara? Has there been rumors of others?

Edited by MHCBadDude, Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:28 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

I heard TJ hooked up with Casey, which makes me grin thinking about it, because she's a huge quitter. Once again: "What do you mean 'that's it'?!? We ain't done! Get back in the damn bed!" Also: shut up, Trishelle. You're not irrelevant because you have at least ten years on most of the cast. You're irrelevant because you're Trishelle.

riotgirl

riotgirl

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

Anyone else think Paula's blush during the challenge looked like weird bruises?

TheTerror

TheTerror

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

Does anyone else get a weird glow from the HD?  I don't notice on any channel other than MTV.  Well, from any show other than the Challenge as this is only show I watch on MTV.   Notices it the last few weeks and it is annoying. 

gm28

gm28

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

I love that after all the heinous shit I've seen on these challenges over the years I was about to be done with the show because of that jungle. I was thinking to myself "hell no! that is torture." Happily it was a fake out and I can continue to watch heinous shit for years to come.

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

I enjoyed the fake out. I was thinking that those girls would die. I still can't get over the fact that Leroy thinks Jemmye is hot. He needs to get out more.