• Please log in to reply

7413 replies to this topic

OwlsGo

OwlsGo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

There are
Spoiler

Edited by OwlsGo, Apr 1, 2013 @ 8:49 PM.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

Good lord. This is easily the worst cast they've ever assembled.

Spoiler

I can stomach
Spoiler
if I have to.
Spoiler
have their moments.
Spoiler

I will cling to the outlandish chance that
Spoiler
make it far, or that the Portland kids prove likeable. Because otherwise, I may have to tune out if there's literally nobody to root for. I'm sick of watching the Bullies win, but it's usually worth it to watch some awesome competitors. But once the handful of likeable ones go, I can leave the rest.

Edited by Oholibamah, Apr 1, 2013 @ 9:30 PM.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

Could they have made a mistake at all with
Spoiler
? I know on The Gauntlet 2, Jamie from RW: NO somehow ended up on the rookie team (rookie being defined that season as someone who had been on less than 2 challenges), even though he had won two Challenges previously. (Side note - is Jamie still the only person with a perfect record in Challenges, for people who have been on more than one season? I know it used to be him and Darrell, but after Darrell got kicked off The Ruins, he's off the list.) But if
Spoiler
is considered a Vet, I don't know how
Spoiler
isn't, considering
Spoiler

While there's no way for it to happen, I want the winners to somehow be
Spoiler
, because those are the only people I like on the list. At least most of the guys on the Vet team seem like they aren't complete idiots, otherwise those dumbasses would be throwing challenges right away to get rid of
Spoiler
. Hopefully
Spoiler
will be more subdued, because most of his friends aren't there. I do wish
Spoiler
was on that list, because I really liked him in the last challenge.

**I'm not sure if I over spoiler tagged, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Edited by bparhad, Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:30 AM.

OwlsGo

OwlsGo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Apparently,
Spoiler
has been replaced by
Spoiler

There is no clear set-up for this challenge, as I should have read more into the thread before posting. Though,
Spoiler

Edited by OwlsGo, Apr 2, 2013 @ 6:26 PM.

OwlsGo

OwlsGo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

It's definitely a
Spoiler

Out so far:
Spoiler

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 1:42 AM

Just wanted to see if anyone here caught the latest episode of Survivor. Without spoiling things, I'll tell you: In a diving-based immunity challenge, one person declined to play, because he once fell into a lake and got stuck underneath the dock and almost drowned. Seeing him punk out, you know who and what I thought? Coral from Battle of the Seasons, before Inner Tube Tango. IIRC, she had gotten upside-down in a tube as a child and actually died. She wound up playing, and she and Mike were on the final Real World team that won the big check at the end. Just figured it was an apt comparison.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

Considering I actually knew someone who did die by getting stuck underwater I don't think the words "punk out" show much sensitivity here, but your MMV, snark and all that.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 11:10 PM

Damn. I am sorry about that. With the person from Survivor, he exhausted all of my patience the first time I saw him, and I thought the comparison to Coral was just there. I honestly feel like a jerk now.

Thinking . . . what are the most memorable cases where Challengers quit missions before they happened for the filmiest of reasons? I know Beth and Montana opted out of one Challenge way back in the day. I'm sure Casey wussed out on stuff at least one or twice, because she had too many fears. Coral quit the game before she got shoved into a Gauntlet with Evelyn, but given how she had been bullied by woman-loathing teammates, I didn't blame her one bit (YMMV). I think the biggest example would be Beth not getting the Gauntlet she wanted, quitting before she had to wrestle Aneesa. Once again: I've judged Beth and Coral in different ways, so I'm not the most impartial judge.

ETA about Coral's story: From what I remember, she said that she actually died in the inner tube, and I'm assuming she was revived. I don't think she'd lie about that. Also, I think Beth is capable of humanity . . . like in Inferno II, when she was genuinely sad about Jon getting ousted by Dan.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 20, 2013 @ 11:12 PM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

Don't worry about it, but I feel like genuine phobias are not that easily managed and sometimes there are very clear and real reasons about it especially near death experience (now should that guy attempt Survivor knowing there'll probably be water challenges involved is of coure another question). Now, of course I get what you meant and I have to say I reacted in the spur of the moment without thinking this through either so I also apologize for being a bit snappy :-)

As for Coral and her quitting in the Gauntlet 3, I think the reasons why I was fine with it is that 1) She actually quit the whole game, not just the gauntlet, and for reasons that went beyond that particular competition. Also, she took Casey with her and that was awesome.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

Biggest punk I recall in (fairly) recent challenge history was Karamo (RW Philly). I think it was the challenge where the cast had to balance standing on a beam over the water and the team that had the quickest exchange of clothing between the men and women (men in women's bathing suit bottoms, women in the men's trunks) he didn't want to get wet so he just took a DQ. To quote CT "Take your punk-ass home"...I think that's where my CT love began.

OwlsGo

OwlsGo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Karamo was actually going to quit the next Inferno anyway because he had a speaking engagement (Veronica clarified that at the not-really reunion). That's why it was so ridiculous for Mike and Landon to decide who would face him because Karamo was quitting.

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

I think they were fighting who wanted Karamo, because each one wanted to be the one that "beat" Karamo, as part of their record (Mike especially). It is face-palming stupid though. Talk about the obsession of wanting to show off. Mike apparently was really distraught about it, which is really pathetic.

Funny enough, when watching the inferno, it actually looked like Karamo did try.

I would say biggest punk was Beth, during Gauntlet II, when they were going on the wires. She wouldn't even put one food on the wires, which is really annoying. Katie I remember hit really hard falling into the water.

I have to say on this topic, I actually have a lot of respect for Katie. Its incredibly obvious that she isn't the most athletic and a lot of the challenges has freaked her out, but she would still do them anyways. It is really infuriating watching different teams totally humiliate her afterwards. I remember in the cut throat season, where she smashed her face when attempting to jump. Her team was all like, whatever let's just vote her in. Then people are all concerned when other people got injured.

Becka

Becka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 7:07 AM

That's probably because Katie's kind of an ass. And she hasn't exactly been the nicest person on these shows at times herself. Add that to the fact she sucks at the competitions, for the most part, and it's easy to see why she isn't well liked, in my opinion.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:00 AM

It's also because due to the way the teams were picked on this challenge (Cutthroat), and the players in general on the season, she was pretty isolated to begin with. She had none of her best friends (Diem and Robin), there were plenty of newbies and though Johnny didn't have the power he usually has since he was only with Derrick and Jenn on his team, it's easy to see why, as a group, the blue team would prefer the Jenn/Johnny/Derrick team to the Eric/Katie one. As much as I think Katie is a trooper and a laugh riot, why should Teresa, Emily or Ty care, really? They still spared the veterans in sending Emilee and Derek to the gulag first.

In fact, while I don't particularly like some of the elements of the season (the behavior winning alliance on the red team (Tori was just awful and Mark was really, really not rootable for the first time in the history of the shpw I think - I was actually fine with Paula, Tyler and Dunbar), Laurel vs Eric (though I liked Laurel aside from that, especially if you see the extended footage) and the blue team repeated sendings of Eric and Katie), as a whole it's probably my favorite seasons from the last several ones. Discounting what some of them have become (looking at you Camila), I really enjoyed most of what the players brung to the table (Ty and Vinny excepted) and who can forget Johnny Backpack.

Edited by Isuzu, Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:05 AM.

OwlsGo

OwlsGo

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

Copying right off of Vevmo, here's a boot list—I'd guess it's chronological:

Spoiler

WINNERS:

Spoiler

Edited by OwlsGo, May 18, 2013 @ 8:23 AM.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

Spoiler

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

The cast for the next season is confirmed:

http://m.mtv.com/blo...ol.rbml&cid=300

(I'd link it better, but I'm on my phone)

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 6:55 PM

Fuck . . . bad enough the evil of Johnny and Frank will carry them to the top, but CT got chained to Wes. How is it fair for CT to be partnered with a proven loser? And if it turns out Johnny and Frank faked beef to guarantee a partnership, then I wouldn't be surprised. Fucking BMP.

ETA: Diem also got shafted getting hooked up with Aneesa. Weird thing? Their' "rivalry" stems from The Duel. How long ago was that? Why not pair Paula with Aneesa, given that they've faced off in endgames 4-5 times? Also, I fear for a woman dropping out and getting replaced with Nia, who is a shitstorm of drama in her own right.

Edited by Lantern7, May 30, 2013 @ 7:02 PM.

cws86

cws86

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

Those pairings are such a reach. I predict this will be the lowest rated challenge ever.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

I think you can make a good game from the lineup: "What Would Make A Better Partner For CT Than Wes?" Here's what I got so far:

1. Adam King

2. Adam Royer

3. Diem

4. The cancer laying dormant in Diem's body

5. Daisy the Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix from The Real World: Portland

6. An anchor weighing as much as Wes, if not heavier

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

How is it fair for CT to be partnered with a proven loser?

I know Wes has been less that stellar in recent Challenges but he won the first Duel, came in 3rd for the first Fresh Meat challenge all the while carrying the dead weight that was Casey and I can't remember but he might have won or come close in another challenge.

I mean I love CT, well when he isn't being completely self destructive and bsc, but if anyone would be considering a proven loser in this pairing it would be him seeing as he's never even won a Challenge after how many tries? Hell, he's the reason he and Diem lost Battle of the Exes and I had to watch the tool and his psychobitch (aka Johnny and Camila) win. 

Edited by dancingonmyown, May 31, 2013 @ 4:44 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

dancingonmyown . . . Fresh Meat and The Duel may as well have been played a century ago. It's an attitude thing . . . I know I've said it in the past, but Wes always acts like he's King Shit of Turd Mountain. Nobody likes him, and he gets sent into endgames by the popular kids. And now, CT is shackled to him. It doesn't seem fair . . . CT won't even get to the point where Johnny beats him through a fluke. I know, YMMV, but Johnny should be at home, counting the money he was fortunate to win in the first place.

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

They should have thought of this idea in the earlier seasons, where there were actual rivalries.

Heck, you can put Veronica with anyone (Sarah, Tonya, Pua, Ayanna, Katie, Amaya, Emily, Ellen, Ruthie, Piggy) and it would be a lot more legit than these teams right now.

How exactly are Frank and Johnny rivals?  Is it just to pad Johnny so he has more of an advantage of winning?  Kind of like how Johnny and Camilla were "exes", which was complete BS.

IWalkAlone

IWalkAlone

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

How exactly are Frank and Johnny rivals?

According to that link posted above, they've been going at it over twitter.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 9:01 AM

I find it suspect that Paula always manages to have such physically strong "rivals". First Evelyn and now Emily. It's like TPTB feel sorry for her constant losing and want to give her a fighting chance.

Really, as long as Frank and Johnny don't win, I will be more or less satisfied.

Edited by Oholibamah, Jun 4, 2013 @ 10:18 AM.

ljenkins782

ljenkins782

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

They should have thought of this idea in the earlier seasons, where there were actual rivalries.

Heck, you can put Veronica with anyone (Sarah, Tonya, Pua, Ayanna, Katie, Amaya, Emily, Ellen, Ruthie, Piggy) and it would be a lot more legit than these teams right now.

Seriously, this idea would have been so much more interesting years ago, I'm surprised they never went there before. 

Veronica certainly would have had her choice, wouldn't she? I think my top pairing would have been Veronica/Emily back in the BOTSeasons/BOTSexes era, though Amaya back in Challenge 2000 days would been good too (damn, that challenge was THIRTEEN years ago! I suddenly feel ancient.)  Or Veronica/Katie would have worked as well. 

What was Veronica's beef with Ruthie or Piggy? I don't really remember any drama with Piggy and the only Ruthie thing I can recall is the booting that Emily engineered. 

Trishelle/Coral could have been a good pair too.

I just can't work up much enthusiasm for the current "rivalries" and I no longer watch RW so way too many of these people are unknown to me. 

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

the only Ruthie thing I can recall is the booting that Emily engineered.

That was something I found strange about that season. Emily, Anne, Genesis, Ayanna and Christina were in anti-Veronica camp, while Melissa and Lori were in pro-Veronica camp. Ellen and Ruthie were the only ones who seemed even remotely neutral on the whole thing - I think they actually sort of liked Veronica, but wanted to keep the majority of the team satisfied.

The problem with the concept of Rivals is that everybody is so terrible and unlikeable now that most of them could be arbitrarily thrown together and called "Rivals". Someone like Veronica who could be paired with practically anybody is now the norm. The main difference being that she was fun, whereas the new people are tedious.

Edited by Oholibamah, Jun 5, 2013 @ 5:13 PM.

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

I know I was stretching with Piggy/Veronica, since she was part of the group that spearheaded to vote off Veronica in Battle of the Seasons.  My point was even that relationship is probably more credible than half of the "rivals" relationship this season. I rewatched the first episode however, Piggy was pretty vicious talking about Veronica during the inner circle deliberations.  She said something like "Veronica is not really an athlete, all she cares about is her boobs."

You could do rivals for the following

Veronica/Amaya

Holly (wick)/Emily

Tonya/Tina

Coral/Trishelle

Julie/Melissa

Rachel/Ellen

The problem is the guys is really hard to figure out.

David E/Puck are the only ones that are legit that I can think of so far.

ljenkins782

ljenkins782

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

I know I was stretching with Piggy/Veronica, since she was part of the group that spearheaded to vote off Veronica in Battle of the Seasons.  My point was even that relationship is probably more credible than half of the "rivals" relationship this season. I rewatched the first episode however, Piggy was pretty vicious talking about Veronica during the inner circle deliberations.  She said something like "Veronica is not really an athlete, all she cares about is her boobs."

Piggy and Veronica were good friends on Challenge 2000 and BOTS was only a year or so later, so I actually thought Piggy was trying to protect Veronica by being dismissive of her abilities. By claiming she wasn't a threat, she would be keeping Veronica around.

Holly (wick)/Emily

If they were doing boy/girl pairs, how about Chadwick and Emily? That could have been interesting.

the problem is the guys is really hard to figure out.

David E/Puck are the only ones that are legit that I can think of so far.

Yuck, that one would just be depressing, they're both so messed up.

Manhattan

Manhattan

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

That was something I found strange about that season. Emily, Anne, Genesis, Ayanna and Christina were in anti-Veronica camp, while Melissa and Lori were in pro-Veronica camp. Ellen and Ruthie were the only ones who seemed even remotely neutral on the whole thing - I think they actually sort of liked Veronica, but wanted to keep the majority of the team satisfied.

Genesis later admitted she had no actual issue with Veronica, she and the other women were wary of Veronica because of what Emily was telling them.  Apparently Emily was in a jealous rage over Veronica being there because she had previously hooked up with James, and so set out to get rid of her ASAP. 

I have no idea what Emily's issues were because James seemed really into her and Veronica was not interested as she was hooking up with Eric N.  Maybe Emily and James were already having problems and they either hid it or it was not included in the final cut.  It would explain why Mark? Jamie? Colin? were certain that if they voted out James, Emily would follow, and they would get rid of one of the biggest threats on the Women's Team for the final. 

You could do rivals for the following

Veronica/Amaya

Holly (wick)/Emily

Tonya/Tina

Coral/Trishelle

Julie/Melissa

Rachel/Ellen

Soooo much more interesting, for sure.  The only pairing that wouldn't work is Veronica/Amaya, they became very close during BOTSeasons1.  Swap to Tonya/Veronica and Tina/Beth (althought that would never ever happen).

Edited by Manhattan, Jun 6, 2013 @ 2:13 PM.