The Real World/Road Rules Challenge

• Please log in to reply

7384 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Anybody feel this might be one of the best seasons in recent memory? Maybe the really shitty stuff have been cut out, but the final three teams come off as *gasp!!!* human. And when you consider one of them used chocolate to impersonate her black teammate, and another is Johnny, that's some achievement.

I didn't think the dive into the icy water was that bad. They were exposed for what . . . thirty seconds? A minute combined? My "go to" mission for danger through ice was BOTS1's endurance battle, where everybody sat on blocks of ice. Remember that? They had to keep their arms raised, and Melissa almost became a Melissicle. From what she posted on her blog, most of the players had bruises on their legs afterward. Even with CT rushing out of the van -- topless!!! -- to pull in Diem, I don't think it was that brutal. Now . . . sticking them overnight on the glacier? That's brutal, even with the accommodations.

Still not buying Mark's declaration of retirement. Even though I don't like him, it would have been nice if he & Robin had won the Dome and the season, since Robin is now 0-for-9 in Challenges. Even Katie won one, and she had the other team lifting her up to celebrate one of her dismal performances. She needs a more fulfilling life. Meanwhile, Mark breaking out his old school bandana was funny, as was the montage . . . though I'll always go back to BOTS2 and him essentially giving Eric Fucking Nies $60,000. I can't forgive him for that shit.

I'm rooting for CT & Diem. I don't think he's been as human as in this season, and she's finally gotten a clue. They can win the big money, go their separate ways, and never come back to the show again. Also, they are kinda sweet together.

ETA for amr: who the heck is Diana Scarwid?

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:18 PM.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

ETA for amr: who the heck is Diana Scarwid?

Isn't she an actress? I think she played Faye Dunaway's adult daughter in the "Mommie Dearest" movie. Amr...I'm going to take a stab at your comment and say that you think Diem looks like Diana Scarwid and you think she wants Johnny? Because to me she kind of does and I came off thinking tonight that she kind of wanted him.

Seriously? They had to play that X game AGAIN for the final dome? Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th time they've played it? And what's up with the people who go into the dome writing all over their arms? It looks dumb. Diem had so much scribbling on her arms the first time she went into the dome that at first I thought it was a bunch of different tattoos.

I'm going to miss Mark. He brings the funny.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

"I felt like it was pretty dangerous for them to be jumping into that crazy freezing water. I swear we're heading towards a "who can actually survive this" final on one of these challenges."

Actually "polar bear club" is pretty common in arctic areas. When I lived in Alaska, crazies would do it on New Years to celebrate the new year. You're pretty much in and out fast and not dwelling in the water.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

I was so hoping that Robin and Mark would pull an upset and take out Johnny/Camilla. It would have been so sweet.

I love that CT and Diem are still in the lead though only 1 second seperated Johnny/Camilla and Ty/Emily. Ty/Emily practically flew over that water.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

Seriously? They had to play that X game AGAIN for the final dome? Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th time they've played it?

I know! I was so disappointed, after the previews of Johnny talking about how they "always save the bloodbath for the end" to see that they were just doing one we've already seen a few times.

Manhattan

Manhattan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

And what's up with the people who go into the dome writing all over their arms? It looks dumb. Diem had so much scribbling on her arms the first time she went into the dome that at first I thought it was a bunch of different tattoos.

Most of the cast were writing Diem's charity (MedGift) and website address on their arms. Not sure how effective it was since we couldn't really see it but I thought it was a nice gesture on everyone's parts.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I can't believe Mark was seriously doing this shit for 17 years! Time FLIES. I remember his first Road Rules episode with Kit and Los and 'nem. He has no shame! I mean, one can do what they want in life, but he's like the old guy who refuses to graduate from college. Kit is now on Access Hollywood Live and has done many corresponding gigs. I think Mark is a much better host and I don't understand why he didn't go that route aside from hosting MTV stuff. Hell, get a job at MTV producing or something! Maybe he has, just like RW Adam does producing shows on his challenge "down time". What is his "real job", this guy? I would feel a little embarrassed looking around realizing that all of the oldies are off living their lives off camera successfully. Robin, Aneesa and Rachel seem to be going down the same path. Even famewhores like Beth and Veronica have quit.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

So Mtv really wants someone to die on these challenges huh? Exposing players to even the possibility of hypothermia is ridiculous. What if one of the players had slipped after being in there for 15 seconds already, would the people they have on the sidelines be able to jump in after them, get them out AND get them undressed before the 30 seconds? Doubtful.

Actually "polar bear club" is pretty common in arctic areas. When I lived in Alaska, crazies would do it on New Years to celebrate the new year. You're pretty much in and out fast and not dwelling in the water.

Yeah but I'm sure living in Alaska in and of itself is an advantage for that type of activity. Your body is more used to those kinds of temperatures I would assume after being exposed to it for so long.

Did anyone else call bullshit on Ty/Emily just so happening to get the slow dogs? Luckily they made up some time on the ice river run.

Liberrian

Liberrian

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Some random thoughts while watching this online--

Between Robin moaning about her kid and Mark reminding us that he's 40, I say good riddance to both of them. Especially when Mark said something like, "...and it falls on the shoulders of the 40 year-old." Um, Mark--no one made you go on the challenge.

I don't know if it'll get to the point where someone dies, but someone could get seriously fucked up (as in, broken neck, paralyzed fucked up).

Personality aside (and I don't have a big problem with it), Emily is quite possibly the hottest female ever to enter the Bunim/Murray universe.

nc socialworker

nc socialworker

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

In the words of my dear mother "you won't be happy until somebody loses an eye". Seriously these challanges and end games are so dangerous!

vexoergosum

vexoergosum

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

Mark was on Real World San Francisco before Road Rules. When they had to get a replacement for Pedro and they were interviewing people - he was an interviewee. They chose that Jo - the mountain climbing girl from London (or Australia?) who had been married to a psycho.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

I hope there's more footage of CT & Ty (not sure if Johnny participated) playing "Ninja" in their face-masks, that was awesome. I'm still laughing at CT's comment about the gloves "I can climb a mountain, pull a pan out the oven...shadow puppets!"

Ladle

Ladle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Oh, Diem-- a scrunchie?

The final challenge should have been to locate Iceland on a map.

I, too, wish they had diversified the domes a bit. For instance, I would have liked if one of the dome games had been a "How much do you know about your partner?" trivia-style competition. That really would have mixed things up and forced the competitors to learn more about each other in case they ended up in that dome-- which would have had the added benefit of forcing these exes to interact back at the house. Maybe that's too boring for MTV, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.

I almost choked on the apple I was eating when Camilla told Johnny that he's a great person. I mean, if you really had to, there are some positive things you could say about Johnny. He's great at challenges. He's not horribly disfigured. But a good person? I guess I should consider that the source is someone who told Emily it definitely wasn't racist to smear Nutella on her face and impersonate her black teammate.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

I think it's awesome that the third place team has to finish the final to get their money. It looks a little easier to finish in terms of everyone being together the whole time and timing each event. (At least that's what it looks like they continue to do in the previews.) I can understand why some people have quit in the past when they fell so far behind and didn't even know where the other teams were anymore.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Personality aside (and I don't have a big problem with it), Emily is quite possibly the hottest female ever to enter the Bunim/Murray universe.

Interesting, I think she's very average pretty. I mean, she's obviously in great shape and has a nice enough face, but I don't find anything very interesting about her looks. I think Elka, Mallory, SD Alex, Svetlana, Ayiiia, and Melissa (with the longer curly hair) are stunning. But I guess that's not the same as hot (and it's obviously all subjective anyway).

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

I think it's awesome that the third place team has to finish the final to get their money. popcorn

Hypothetical . . . what if nobody finishes the race? If all three pairs bow out, could BMP weasel out of giving any of them the prize money? I'm not rooting for it, but it might be interesting to see if that happens.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Hypothetical . . . what if nobody finishes the race? If all three pairs bow out, could BMP weasel out of giving any of them the prize money?

Well...TJ said the rule was that they had to actually finish to get the money. I would love to see something like that happen. Especially to Johnny.

Interesting, I think she's very average pretty. I mean, she's obviously in great shape and has a nice enough face, but I don't find anything very interesting about her looks.

I totally agree. Off the top of my head, I would say that I think Kelly from RW New Orleans is one of the prettiest girls. You know...the one that married Scott Wolf. And there was a girl from RR. I'm not sure which season. I think her name was Kendall?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

You might be thinking of Kendall, who was on Road Rules: Campus Crawl and The Inferno. Her trademark was a kickass coat she wore during RR11. Ring any bells, Jagged Angel?

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

I don't remember a kickass coat but I'm pretty sure we're thinking about the same girl. I remember she hooked up with "The Miz" on a challenge. I guess it was The Inferno because I think she was only on one. And her baby Daddy is some F list actor (or maybe he's moved up to the D list now) who she called out for being a deadbeat Dad.

mstm

mstm

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Finally watching Wednesday's episode and just have to add that while I will not miss present day Mark at all (if he actually makes good on his promise to quit), I have to add that one of my favorite reality TV moments is from his original RR season when they talked some stupid hotel into letting them "check out the room" before actually renting it and he was looking for a place to hide in the room and put his head under a wall mounted lamp shade with the rest of his body clearly sticking out and asked Kit if it would work. Both she and I almost wet our pants laughing.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

The best part of that was the disclaimer they made Mark film. "The producers don't condone the conduct you've just seen....but they get to sleep in a real bed, don't they"

Sourire

Sourire

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Interesting, I think [Emily is] very average pretty. I mean, she's obviously in great shape and has a nice enough face, but I don't find anything very interesting about her looks. I think Elka, Mallory, SD Alex, Svetlana, Ayiiia, and Melissa (with the longer curly hair) are stunning. But I guess that's not the same as hot (and it's obviously all subjective anyway).

I'd also put Jamie (RW San Diego, the first time around) on that list, and also (if on looks alone because I hate her) Johanna.

Well...TJ said the rule was that they had to actually finish to get the money. I would love to see something like that happen. Especially to Johnny.

That would make me so, so very happy.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

I would add RWLV Irulan on that list although she needed a hamburger quick!

bneeweenee

bneeweenee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

The stupidest thing about the river jumping is that it had absolutely no bearing on the results of the competition. The teams stayed in the same order they were in from the dogsledding. I think Ty and Emily were still exactly 10 seconds behind CT and Diem. Just a waste of time.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Yeah, I hope there's more room to switch up the teams. So far, the final challenge has been grueling (well, maybe not the dogsleds, but the jumping in ice water part), but I'll be disappointed if the whole finale consists of super-short challenges that don't give the teams a chance to catch up.

I still think the most grueling finale ever has to be the one that Landon won after literally pushing Carly's ass up a mountain (using his head). And if I remember correctly, that's also the one where they had to stay up all night while standing on a rock or some other such nonsense.

Aaron2008

Aaron2008

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

I still think the most grueling finale ever has to be the one that Landon won after literally pushing Carly's ass up a mountain (using his head). And if I remember correctly, that's also the one where they had to stay up all night while standing on a rock or some other such nonsense.

The one with Landon & Carley was the Fresh Meat 2 final. The one where they had to stand on the rock was in last seasons Rivals final.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 6:44 AM

He's the host of this season's reunion, which was filmed in NYC last Tuesday

Why do they only have the finalists and a couple who were elimnated before them on the reunion shows instead of everyone? I find it annoying as hell.

How long before we start checking to see when and where BMP will hold the next season? I know that they're doing a new RW in (snicker) the Virgin Islands, so I'm guessing it'll be about 4-5 months.

And then there's the rape legalities...

her sobbing because the latest mission reminded her of the people that lose their homes in hurricanes and tornadoes

Holy crap! Did Robin REALLY say that?

hilaryvm

hilaryvm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I thought it was a bit strange to count the time doing each checkpoint challenge and not the time in between. They were told they had to run from the dog sledding to the next checkpoint (river plunge). But, the only time that counted was the dog sledding time and the river plunge time. The running in between didn't count towards their times at all. That seemed a bit strange to me. I'm not sure if the competitors knew this, but it would certainly keep me from running. I would take my sweet time, saving my energy for the later checkpoint challenges.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Holy crap! Did Robin REALLY say that?

Yes. It was after the airplane challenge. She started saying how strong the winds were, and that it reminds her of the hurricanes, then she started crying, saying it makes her think of what it would be like to lose everything in a storm like that. Mark responded "is this really happening now?"

xphile101

xphile101

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

When she cheated with Ty, it wasn't even like it was a one-time thing. She and Ty essentially had a relationship...WHILE she had a boyfriend back home. If she felt the need to do that, clearly there is something missing or lacking in her relationship with her boyfriend.

Part of me wonders if her boyfriend told her to "make good reality tv" while she was there - maybe she actually did have a carte blanche do to as she wanted to? You know, insure that she'd be invited back next time.