Glee Scheduling & Ratings

• Please log in to reply

1138 replies to this topic

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Glee returns with 6.7 million viewers aka worse than the winter finale.

redgarlic

redgarlic

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Man, this place is deserted...

Latest ratings:

Big Brother (3x15) 2.7R/6.76V
Saturday Night Glee-ver (3x16) 2.4R/6.23 V
Dance With Somebody (3x17) 2.7R/6.9V
Choke (3x18) 2.5R/6.1V
Prom-a-saurus (3x19) 2.7R/6.6V

Edited by redgarlic, May 9, 2012 @ 8:21 PM.

redgarlic

redgarlic

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Fox rumored to move Glee to Thursdays after X-Factor and have a comedy block on Tuesdays

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

Would "after X-factor on Thursdays" mean what time slot? Would it still be on at 8 or move to 8:30 or 9? Not that it makes any difference to me time-wise, but if I had my say it would air at midnight so they could bring back some of what used to exist in S1 instead of the current PSA hour for pre-teens.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

It would move to 9pm, and it's official now.

Fox's Primetime Slate

brisbydog

brisbydog

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

God, awful time slot. Against Persons of Interest and Grey's Anatomy. I wonder if the 9:00 p.m. timeslot means less restrictions on showing 'shocking' things like gay kissing though?

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

God, awful time slot. Against Persons of Interest and Grey's Anatomy. I wonder if the 9:00 p.m. timeslot means less restrictions on showing 'shocking' things like gay kissing though?

Ooooh I hadn't thought about the competition. I was thinking going back to the 9PM slot would allow less restrictions, but I think that's too little too late. Competing with either of those shows PLUS losing out on teeny bopper viewership that might not be able to stay up till 10 could be a problem. I wonder if Fox is ready to pull the plug and is trying to ease into it.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

The show is currently up against NCIS, so Grey's doesn't seem like much bigger competition, though its audience probably skews a bit younger.

brisbydog

brisbydog

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Persons of Interest is my new favourite show this season. I would have a hard time watching Glee over it. I bet though in Canada we will end up with Glee earlier because Global will not be able to handle all the shows they cover.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

If they kept it at 8, then it would be up against The Vampire Diaries. Since I believe they cater to the same age range, maybe whoever decides the time slot thought 9 would be the lesser of two evils.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I wonder who Fox is really trying to help, or if they are banking on a more symbiotic relationship that will boost both. X Factor isn't a ratings powerhouse, and the judging panel shakeup leaves its fate even more uncertain. Idol boomed in its second season, so maybe Fox hopes X Factor will do the same, and that will help bolster Glee through its own cast change. Or, maybe Fox thinks that having Glee follow will somehow help X Factor, that viewers will choose to make a Fox night of them both? Glee will at least gain in the spring, when it follows Idol.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Well, right now we don't know if ABC is going to move Grey's or keep it in the same timeslot. A lot of shows for NBC and now Fox have been moved around so there's a chance Greys and Person of Interest might be moved earlier or to a new timeslot. Although it is a slim chance, as both seem to do well in their timeslots already. Glee's been moved quite a bit, hasn't it? I may be misremembering, but wasn't it on Wednesdays for season 1 and then got moved to Tuesdays?

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

Grey's Anatomy is far from a young, water cooler show itsef. The ratings for it are not as solid as they used to be.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I wonder if the 9:00 p.m. timeslot means less restrictions on showing 'shocking' things like gay kissing though?

It's Fox. They only have 2 hours of primetime programming each night; the timeslot is not a factor in plot points. Especially since they tend to move shows around for baseball, mid-season replacements, etc.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Glee's been moved quite a bit, hasn't it? I may be misremembering, but wasn't it on Wednesdays for season 1 and then got moved to Tuesdays?

Yes, it was. In fact, I still have a hard time remembering its on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays. Im interested to see what will happen with a move to Thursday (other than me forgetting what night its on).

redgarlic

redgarlic

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Ratings for last night: 2.5 18-49 for both hours, 6.09/6.03 million viewers for each
That's 10% less than last episode.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

A reminder for those like me who don't pay attention to TV promos: Glee tonight at 9pm, ET, after American Idol! So, for people who DVR, maybe set your DVR to end at 10:05 or so, in case Idol runs over.

erilyn

erilyn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Ratings for The New Rachel - 7.41 million views, 3.1/8, it was down 13% from the season 3 first episode, but up 14% from the season 3 finale according to Deadline.

Heyerchick

Heyerchick

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Ratings for Dynamic Duets:

9pm:

Fox The X Factor/Glee
Viewers: 6.89 million (#3), A18-49: 2.3/ 7 (#2)

9.30pm:

Fox Glee
Viewers: 4.45 million (#3), A18-49: 1.5/ 5 (#3)

10pm:

Fox Glee
Viewers: 3.80 million (#4), A18-49: 1.1/ 4 (#4)

The episode shed viewers throughout. It ended on a *1.1*

Im indifferent to Lima and the newbies. That doesnt mean I want the show to tank. Because I still *love* my Kurt and my Rachel, and Santana, and Burt.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Football running over last night pushed everything late. Glee doesn't usually run into the 10pm slot, and I wonder how much of the ratings slide had to do with X Factor and then other shows starting at 10. X Factor possibly gave Glee a bump at the beginning, viewers flipping to catch the start of new shows, especially any procedurals, possibly led to the viewer bleed at 10.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 2:29 AM

I was always curious about the decision to move it to Thursdays from Tuesdays. That Thursday timeslot is a killer no matter how you slice it, and regardless of other factors, I think the timeslot has hurt it.

I'm also guessing that nobody took it under consideration that there is occasional network football on Thursday, and that does usually mean overruns into other timeslots.

Edited by vb68, Nov 24, 2012 @ 2:29 AM.

swampy

swampy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

[snip]
I've grown to hate this show just as much as the next guy, and believe me, I would love nothing more than to watch it crash and burn as a result of TPTB's continued refusal to address any problems with the show.

But, I really think that the only way this week's ratings are an indicator of any major problems with the ratings is if next week's ratings are similarly low. The double-whammy of Thanksgiving and football overrun really fucks with the numbers to the point that they are not reliable as a barometer for how the season is going, at least not on their own.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 27, 2012 @ 10:44 PM.
Quoted post was edited

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Next week might get a bump from the return of veteran characters that they're promoting heavily.
The most damning part of this week's ratings is the lack of retention of numbers within the episode. That's people who were tuned in and switched it off, and it seems specious to blame that on the holiday rather than the episode itself.

svimouse

svimouse

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

The most damning part of this week's ratings is the lack of retention of numbers within the episode. That's people who were tuned in and switched it off, and it seems specious to blame that on the holiday rather than the episode itself.

Nielsen will put out an adjusted rating that accounts for the time shifting of shows in each market. There was definitely a drop off, but it's premature to guess they are so dire when there are so many factors affecting the overnight ratings.

undecideable

undecideable

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Maybe if the show didn't air for a few weeks at a time and then take ridiculous breaks the ratings would be stronger.

Darcy

Darcy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

9pm:

Fox The X Factor/Glee
Viewers: 6.89 million (#3), A18-49: 2.3/ 7 (#2)

9.30pm:

Fox Glee
Viewers: 4.45 million (#3), A18-49: 1.5/ 5 (#3)

10pm:

Fox Glee
Viewers: 3.80 million (#4), A18-49: 1.1/ 4 (#4)

The episode shed viewers throughout. It ended on a *1.1*

Just to clarify the episode did not end with a 1.1. Those are the half hour breakdowns so the 1.1 is for the 10:00 - 10:30 timeslot and was even labeled Glee/Various but whoever copied it did not include Various so it made it look like it was only for Glee. Glee would have aired only from 10:00 - 10:16 on the East Coast (and maybe the Central Time Zone?) and the 1.1 includes whatever show aired after it (which in most cases is the FOX Local News). The 10:00 numbers also do not include the Western and (I think) Mountain time zone numbers for Glee because Glee would have ended there at 9:59 pm. It also does not count anyone who DVRed the episode because the recording would have ended at 9:59 pm. So saying Glee ended with a 1.1 could not be more inaccurate.

It looks like Glee labeled the Thanksgiving episode as a special (which shows often do during the Holidays when they anticipate bad ratings which they don't want counted against them) which means it won't count in the ratings anyway. Also Sweeps ended the day before (on Wednesday, November 21).

Also, just as an FYI, Glee often falls .1 or .2 throughout the airing of an episode. For example, in the overnights for the Break-up the first half hour got 6.59 million viewers and a A18-49: 2.7 and the second half hour got 5.83 million viewers and A18-49: 2.5 so it fell .2 throughout the episode.

At least next week's episode should do better than last week's 2.1 and 5.28 million viewers - that is the important thing. I think having everyone back will help - but they really need to promote it, so viewers will know!

Also important is that Glee does very well in the DVR+3, DVR+7 and most importantly the C3 numbers. The DVR+7 numbers show that Glee still has a much higher audience than the initial overnights indicate. The C3 numbers are the only numbers that count for the Advertisers and Glee's numbers go up - they went up 14% for the Break-up so the key demo went from a 2.6 to a 3.0 which is a great increase especially considering most shows stay flat or go down (the average C3 rating is minus 1% so the fact that Glee goes up in that rating and has added as much as .4 to it's key demo is a good thing!) Unfortunately the Thanksgiving episode numbers won't go up as much since so many DVRs would have cut off at 9:59 and people may not have bothered to watch it on DVR when they saw how much of it they missed (people were complaining on Facebook, Twitter, etc) and then of course there are those who did not even bother to DVR it because they never thought that Glee would air an episode on Thanksgiving because shows do not do that!

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Well, whenever people got around to watching this episode (if they indeed ever did) they sure as hell didn't think much of the music enough to buy it. Did any of the songs even crack the top 100? And that's with a big group number of a huge current hit that blatantly ripped off...I mean, was reminiscent of "We Are Young" and "Don't Stop Believing" closing out the episode. Plus a Warblers number. One would have thought those would be surefire hits.

I also have to wonder about the decision to air this episode on Thanksgiving in the first place. Anyone could have told you the ratings would be down for airing on a big holiday no matter the content. The actual holiday in-show is taking place next week. But this episode, which seemed pivotal for the group coming together for the first time and selling the newbies to the audience, was burned off on a holiday while the returning grads will be back next week when viewers are more likely to tune in.

Edited by SNeaker, Nov 24, 2012 @ 11:59 PM.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Yes, the song sales seem to be a series low complementing the series low in ratings [I guess not surprisingly]. I don't know if it's best to bring that up here or the songs thread, but the correlation at least seems worth noting here.

talktothemoose

talktothemoose

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 3:45 AM

This is far from a "series low" week on song sales.

If you have actually been watching the charts, it is worth noting that there have only been two songs to chart Top 100 for the week this entire season- it is much harder for Glee to chart than it has been in the past because of new Billboard rules. It changed mid-season 3, and these are the only songs period to have charted since.
Hungry Like The Wolf / Rio - 98
Somebody That I Used To Know - 26
How Will I Know - 65
It's Not Right but It's Okay - 92
Shake It Out - 71
It's Time - 95
The Scientist - 91

As far as iTunes sales, Some Nights reached 62, I believe, which is actually one of the highest of the season. No idea if it will actually chart, but we will get those figures next week. The Warblers song also cracked the Top 100. This is, of course, a major decline in charting from past seasons, but not at all from the current season. Comparatively, the top selling song from last week, There Are Worse Things I Could Do, only reached 182 at its highest or Blow Me, the week before, which got to 98.

The novelty of Glee music has worn off. There are less viewers, so less people to buy the songs. There is also the fact that music previously went on sale the day the episode aired, which clearly makes things easier to sell in mass. The same cannot be said for now when the hardcore fans buy the music on Sunday night, and then GA buys on Thursday.

So again, this is far from a "series low" in music sales. It is actually one of the best of the season and definitely the best since the hiatus.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 4:55 AM

I don't think we should sugar coat that just relative to itself, Glee has had declining demos and audience viewership this year.

Comparing it to others seems try to bypass that it's been declining from its seaon opener, it's not building but eroding. If there are hard numbers to refute that for this year I'd like to see them.