Glee Scheduling & Ratings

• Please log in to reply

1138 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

Anyone know where or when ratings come out for last night?

Also, from a new poster:

Two quick things:

1) Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but, I'm new to all of this going-on-the-internet-to-talk-about-TV-shows business, so please excuse me if I'm out of bounds, and

2) Please please pleasepleaseplease don't mistake this for anything to do with political commentary, at all, because I don't want to open up that can of worms, but...

If you were terrified (like I was) that President Obama's health care address to the joint session of Congress next Wednesday, September 9th (that date sound familiar, Gleeks?) would screw with the Episode 2 that you've been waiting four months to see, apparently early indications and Fox network precedent suggest that "Glee" will air as scheduled:

Obama’s Sept. 9 Address Could Boost Glee, America’s Next Top Model Premieres

In fact, as the title of the article suggests, "Glee" could even benefit handsomely from the other networks' running of Obama's speech.

So, just in case anybody was worried (like I was), I figured I'd put that out there. Feel free to delete this post or move it to the appropriate place or ban me if I did something bad or whatever it is you people do (like I said, I have never gone on the internet to discuss TV shows, but "Glee" is something else entirely). Sorry to bring politics into it, even tangentially. I know how worked up people can get, on the internet especially.

Edited by cutecouple, Sep 3, 2009 @ 11:01 PM.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 10:35 AM

http://tvbythenumber...v-show-ratings/

Last night's ratings haven't been posted yet, though.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 11:18 AM

They have now:

Moving to 9 p.m., America’s Got Talent on NBC took center stage at 9 p.m., with 12.10 million viewers and a 2.6/ 8 among adults 18-49. Also populating the hour was a repeat of CBS’ Criminal Minds (Viewers: #2, 6.96 million; A18-49: #3t, 1.7/ 5), ABC reality/competition dud Crash Course (Viewers: #3, 4.53 million; A18-49: #3t, 1.7/ 5), which never should have gotten on the air to begin with, a repeat of Fox’s Glee (Viewers: #4, 4.12 million; A18-49: #2, 1.8/ 5), and another repeat installment of America’s Next Top Model on The CW (Viewers: #5, 1.27 million; A18-49: #5, 0.6/ 2). Although Fox did not necessarily set the ratings world on fire, so to speak, the positive news was the solid retention for Glee out of So You Think You Can Dance.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 7:51 PM

The good news: solidly beating Tyra Banks' leftovers.

The bad news? Even as a repeat, being beat by "Crash Course". Yuck.

Get used to the idea of mixed news. Even in the best case, a dumb dry procedural like "Criminal Minds" is ALWAYS going to beat Glee. Hate it, sure, but accept it.

"Got Talent" is annoying, but will go away soon to be replaced by Law & Order: SVU. Which unfortunately also gets great ratings for no good reason.

The "good" news is the upcoming ABC "competition". Modern Family and Cougar Town. Which I've read are actually both fairly decent for sitcoms, but even still I don't see them dominating. There's at least a decent chance that Glee can beat them on a regular basis.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

Also keep in mind that for this show, ratings aren't going to be the only reason Fox decides to keep or kill it -- ancillary revenues from music downloads and the soundtracks, among other things, are going to play into it all as well.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 11:40 PM

Also keep in mind that for this show, ratings aren't going to be the only reason Fox decides to keep or kill it -- ancillary revenues from music downloads and the soundtracks, among other things, are going to play into it all as well.

Kind of the same way that ABC is hoping to subsidize "Castle" (and drum up a few extra viewers) with novels by the fictional Castle. Yeah. That seems to be the new improved network business model--try and squeeze out some ancillary revenues with product (not that I think the Castle book is going to sell THAT many copies, but even a moderate success will help).

If it keeps some bubble shows around which well deserve it but can't compete with the usual brain-free ratings machines like L&O and Criminal Minds (and Castle and Glee are probably going to BOTH qualify...)? I'm all for it.

And its not like back in the day there weren't "Columbo" novels and "Patridge Family" albums. They just weren't "counted" on in the same way--they were considered gravy on already successful shows instead of selling points to keep the shows afloat.

Heck, there are even currently CSI novels. Again, they just haven't been counting on the moolah from them.

magratt

magratt

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 11:41 PM

I suspect that they are reconciled to losing out to SVU and other boring cop shows in the overall ratings but hitting hard in key demos. Do they really have any solid competition for young folks?

Hightide

Hightide

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 7:23 PM

I suspect that they are reconciled to losing out to SVU and other boring cop shows in the overall ratings but hitting hard in key demos. Do they really have any solid competition for young folks?

Oddly enough, SVU is also their young folks competition. The show, oddly enough, has traditionally had a big teen audience (more in repeats than originals though) but I'm sure Glee should do pretty well with that same crowd.

sixesses

sixesses

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

Being on Fux is worrisome. Maybe they think it could turn into something like AI. A lot depends on what kind of music they get. There are supposed to be 4 numbers in every show.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

Fox has sunk a lot of money into this show, and they have been getting the songs everything form Queen, Rolling Stones, Barbra Streisand, John Lennon.

Joe M.

Joe M.

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 12:02 AM

Please do forgive me for not linking to something that proves it (I'm tired), but Fox has said that they WILL air "So You Think You Can Dance" and "Glee" as scheduled rather than preempting them for President Obama's speech.

sarakasara

sarakasara

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 2:34 PM

Fox has said that they WILL air "So You Think You Can Dance" and "Glee" as scheduled rather than preempting them for President Obama's speech.

This news makes happy and sad at the same time.

Rocker73

Rocker73

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 3:04 PM

The "good" news is the upcoming ABC "competition". Modern Family and Cougar Town. Which I've read are actually both fairly decent for sitcoms, but even still I don't see them dominating. There's at least a decent chance that Glee can beat them on a regular basis.

But isn't Cougar Town the new show with Courtney Cox? I would not count out the return of Monica as being a ratings winner.

ZeroForce

ZeroForce

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

But isn't Cougar Town the new show with Courtney Cox? I would not count out the return of Monica as being a ratings winner.

I've got two words in response to that. Dirt and Joey. If it's not a good show on its own, we might actually see a Friends curse too.

Edited by ZeroForce, Sep 9, 2009 @ 9:49 PM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 1:04 AM

Did it really sound like I was worried?

That's kind of why I tossed out phrases like "I don't see them dominating" and "There's at least a decent chance that Glee can beat them on a regular basis".

Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:59 AM

And I’m sure someone will declare the premiere of Glee a failure because it only got 7.136 million viewers, but with a 3.4/9 adults 18-49 rating and a 3.7/10 with adults 18-34, FOX will no doubt be dubbing this “Fall’s new hit” before I even hit the “publish” button. Glee destroyed America’s Got Talent in the demos. Though AGT had more viewers (9.69M) its 2.1/5 adults 18-49 rating and 1.5/4 adults 18-34 rating were relatively paltry. With adults 18-34 Glee won by more than 100% over AGT!

Source

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

Well, that's great. I wonder how many SYTYCD fans who weren't familiar tuned in for the Glee premiere.

More viewers sure wouldn't hurt, because since this is on FOX, I feel like the show will always be walking on thin ice.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:08 AM

I was hoping for higher, but I guess next week will be a better test without any presidential competition.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:16 AM

I too was hoping for higher, but Glee actually improved on SYTYCD's numbers, both in total viewers and in the demos, so that seems pretty good to me. And yay for destroying America's Got Talent in the demos! (I don't mean that as maliciously as it sounds)

Edited by flickchick85, Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:16 AM.

TheQueenB

TheQueenB

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:18 AM

Oh dear. I hope FOX will at least allow the produced episodes to be aired.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:38 AM

Has Fox canceled a show that regularly pulls 7 million viewers in the last decade? TV audiences are shrinking. I don't think 7 million is that bad for Fox.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:51 AM

Plus, the networks care most about the demos, because that's what the advertisers care about. The total number of viewers barely matters. I just looked it up, and Glee did better in the demos than last season's Bones premiere did, and that show just keeps chugging along, so I think we'll be fine for now. As long as the show doesn't shrink too much in those demos, because it's doing pretty great in that department so far.

Edited by flickchick85, Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:52 AM.

cjardine

cjardine

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

flickchick85 is right, total viewers don't matter to the advertisers, only the demos (18-34 and 18-49). There is no way FOX will cancel Glee if it holds on to these numbers. They've got to be thrilled.
Other shows may get more total viewers but they won't necessarily bring in more revenue, given the way the TV industry works.

Edited by cjardine, Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:35 PM.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Chris Colfer tweeked that Glee got the highest primmer for Fox in 2 years and seems happy about that.

The demographic is what counts and don't forget Glee currently has 5 songs on itunes top 100 downloads.

Take a bow getting to 11 so far.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:41 PM

It's also getting excellent word-of-mouth, meaning that we're likely to see the viewership tick upwards over the upcoming season.

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

It's also getting excellent word-of-mouth, meaning that we're likely to see the viewership tick upwards over the upcoming season.

I was just going to post this same thing! I'd also add that it's garnered a lot of critical attention/acclaim so far, which while certainly not the most important factor in determining a series' survival, has to count with Fox at least a little...it's not as if more than 1-2 of their shows per year are even moderately respected by entertainment critics :)

Edited by bookwrm74, Sep 10, 2009 @ 1:49 PM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 4:12 PM

The "demos" DO mean a lot. But also comparative ratings aka "if Fox put other things in that spot would they do better". Its hard to calculate that sometimes.

And even if we give "Got Talent" more credit than it deserves for its ratings, its going away in a week. The REAL test is what takes over in that spot next. ABC certainly doesn't have a winning lineup with a pack of sitcoms against Glee. The problem, of course, is that NBC's L&O:SVU and CBS' Criminal Minds get automatic old people ratings. Its a good thing the advertisers prefer Young-uns, because between those two procedurals, MOST of the non-show-tune viewing oldsters are taken care of. A bit of an unknown is Mischa Barton's CW trainwreck show. Its drawing on some of the same audience as Glee (except people who are likely shallower and love DRA...MA vs. Drama), and its getting press simply because Mischa herself is a trainwreck. It won't EVER win big numbers, but it WILL siphon a bit away from Glee directly.

One thing I DO expect though is that if Glee's numbers don't turn out as FOX hopes, the show might be renewed, but with a trimmed budget. Which ain't gonna help this show. It needs bucks spent on it to work properly.

SydinSacramento

SydinSacramento

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 1:33 AM

Any ideas when the next order of episodes will be ordered by the network? How many weeks of ratings do they commonly need before making that decision? I'm hoping we will hear something by early October. I figure the Itune numbers alone will let them order the additional 9 for this season which they can run next spring and get great numbers in Feb & May. Any thoughts?

UncommonSense

UncommonSense

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 4:11 PM

In this day and age a 3.5 A18-49 rating (which is what the final number was) is excellent. Ad rates are predominantly set using those ratings and not total viewers so Glee did very well for itself in that regard.

If it can maintain above a 3.0 A18-49 it will be a lock for renewal.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 4:17 PM

Worse comes to worse put it on F/X and let see what happens.

Edited by redbirds, Sep 14, 2009 @ 4:17 PM.