Kurt Hummel: Mr. Cellophane

• Please log in to reply

14240 replies to this topic

BruteSquad

BruteSquad

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Chris was 18 when the first 6-7 episodes filmed so I'd say he could be classified as a child then. :) I remember being really startled by how different he looked when Kurt first appeared in the Cheerios uniform and he has just continued to grow (literally for a while) and develop into an extremely attractive young adult. It really helps the illusion that Kurt has gone from 16 to nearly 19 before our eyes.

fireangel611

fireangel611

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

asexual cherub he was at the start of the show

Gosh, he really was. Asexual cherub is a rather fitting term imo.

Chris really was quite a late bloomer, he wasn't a child during the first season

No big difference, he still looked like a child ;)

I still think Chris looks incredibly young. When they didn't gel up his hair (back to his S1 fringe) in his More than a woman couple dance with Blaine in SNG he looked like his S1 self again. I panicked he had de-aged, he looked too young to be dating. The hair does about 90 % of the work in making him look older in the face. The other 10% is him losing the baby fat in his cheeks. Where he's really significantly changed (no hair tricks) is his body. No denying he filled out and got taller.

Kurt has gone from 16 to nearly 19 before our eyes.

He's actually about to turn 19 this month and he hasn't even finished HS. It's crazy that he's probably one of the oldest in ND, and the youngest in the cast.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

He's actually about to turn 19 this month and he hasn't even finished HS. It's crazy that he's probably one of the oldest in ND, and the youngest in the cast.

The ages of these kids are extremely illogical. I have no idea why they decided that Kurt being about the oldest kid in New Directions was a good idea. He clearly looks the youngest if we don't count Rory (and who does). It's completely idiotic that Rachel is more than 1,5 years younger than Kurt.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

If Kurt doesn't get into NYADA, I'm going to be pissed. I've been watching "The Boy Next Door" over and over and one of the reasons for that (the pants don't hurt) is that it's such a beautifully triumphant moment - I agree with a lot of the analysis here and in the episode thread that Kurt learned from his mistakes and finally found a way to be himself and entirely rock it.

It also brought me back to "Four Minutes" and sitting with my friends just all blinking in shock at how incredibly attractive Chris Colfer had gotten. And then Kurt (as far as character development and shallow shallow factors) has come so far since then and I'm just so proud of and happy for this character and it's all kinds of ridiculous. The number of times I've watched it is in the triple digits (...I'm hoping the fact that I'm right about Chris's age makes that less creepy) and I'm still oddly on the verge of tearing up.

ReganII

ReganII

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

The ages of these kids are extremely illogical. I have no idea why they decided that Kurt being about the oldest kid in New Directions was a good idea. He clearly looks the youngest if we don't count Rory (and who does). It's completely idiotic that Rachel is more than 1,5 years younger than Kurt.

I'd say that they weren't thinking of the actors' ages relative to their characters' ages so much as story convenience - ie. Kurt had to be sixteen to have his "baby" in Acafellas, Rachel was established as fifteen because she was named after a character in a show that didn't air until September 1994. I could definitely see Rachel as a kid who either started school early or skipped a grade at some point, and being younger could have contributed to her social difficulties. Maybe tiny Kurt was a bit of a late bloomer or shy, and his parents and preschool teacher thought that he should have another year of preschool, making him one of the oldest instead of one of the youngest in his class.

Jester85

Jester85

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

It also brought me back to "Four Minutes" and sitting with my friends just all blinking in shock at how incredibly attractive Chris Colfer had gotten.

4 Minutes was the first time I ever thought Kurt was sexy.

The second time was Born This Way. I think it was how comparatively simple he was dressed--jeans and a T-shirt--and his hair was messed up, etc.

When I first started watching Season 3, I was a little startled by how attractive he'd gotten.

I was also really kind of shocked by the contrast between his "Single Ladies" routine early in Season 1 and then when he reprised it on tour last summer. Suddenly, bam out of nowhere, it was kind of....really hot.

His attractiveness really snuck up on me.

I'd also agree those who said they'd hoped Never Been Kissed was a lead-in to Kurt/Beiste bonding. For the record, the only thing I side-eyed Beiste was her cracking up during the Romeo & Juliet scene, not her comments in the office, because A) they were in private, not (to her knowledge) within Kurt's earshot, and B) Kurt wasn't right for Tony, any more than he'd be for The Phantom.

I would have (still would, actually) loved a scene of Kurt giving Shannon a makeover (but then, considering how RIB royally screw up their "messages" sometimes, I'd be afraid it'd put out the message that Shannon has to completely reinvent her appearance to be worthy of love).

But then I also had visions dancing in my head of Blaine/Schu bonding, scenes with Burt and Blaine's father, way more of the ridiculously fleeting Rachel/Shelby relationship, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

It's so frustrating sometimes what the writers choose to explore and what they utterly ignore.

I'm still kind of shocked and really disappointed that we never got a moment with Kurt telling Burt that he had a boyfriend, considering how much emphasis we got on their relationship and what a huge moment that is when your baby tells you they're dating someone for the first time in their life.

Edited by Jester85, May 6, 2012 @ 1:04 AM.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:47 AM

His attractiveness really snuck up on me.

Plus for the most part the show seems to have downplayed Kurt's attractiveness to anyone not named Blaine. He's "gay face", "toothpick arms", "pink eye" , etc etc.

fireangel611

fireangel611

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:23 AM

It's completely iotic that Rachel is more than 1,5 years younger than Kurt

I think the most recent ep just confirmed Rachel is 18 again. So she's not 1.5 years younger than Kurt. They're both 18. I guess she'll turn 19 in December, so about half a year younger than Kurt. Oh well, TV ages are always screwed up.

only thing I side-eyed Beiste was her cracking up during the Romeo & Juliet scene, not her comments in the office, because A) they were in private, not (to her knowledge) within Kurt's earshot, and B) Kurt wasn't right for Tony, any more than he'd be for The Phantom.

No, I still think her comments in the office were inappropriate. I don't think it's right for a teacher to talk about a student exciting her lady parts. Pretty sure if a male teacher made such a comment about a female student (say Will/Rachel) it would be heavily looked down upon. Same thing for Kurt, he doesn't need to be exciting any teacher's private parts to get a role in a school play. And on top of that, another student, Artie was also present when she made that comment, making it even more inappropriate.

The WSS/I am Unicorn/Officer Krupke stuff from last year still sort of stings, and since I'm a big Kurt fan, I subsequently didn't care about Beiste and her domestic violence story. As far as I'm concerned that was a poorly executed, preachy and problematic plot, they should've cut it down or cut it out completely. In the time saved they could've given Kurt one more scene after his audition and before his scene comforting Rachel. I felt like something was missing. A scene with his dad or Blaine after nailing that audition would've been nice.

Also, why didn't Finn come to watch Kurt's audition? It's weird, since he came to watch Rachel's, if he had arrived 5 minutes earlier he would've caught it. He could've walked in when Blaine walked in. And then Rachel talks about Kurt going to NY with Finn and I'm like: 'Yeah, whatever, they don't even allow Finn to watch Kurt's audition let alone allow these two to talk about their futures in NY' Kurt isn't the only one leaving Burt next year, Burt and Carole will have an empty nest if Finn's gone too.

Plus for the most part the show seems to have downplayed Kurt's attractiveness to anyone not named Blaine. He's "gay face", "toothpick arms", "pink eye" , etc etc.

I don't think pink eye is a reference to physical attractiveness, it's sexual innuendo if you'd like to search urban dictionary. Typical Santana to know all this stuff, though I have my doubts Kurt understood, he doesn't even appear to know what a bear cub is.

I'm still kind of shocked and really disappointed that we never got a moment with Kurt telling Burt that he had a boyfriend, considering how much emphasis we got on their relationship and what a huge moment that is when your baby tells you they're dating someone for the first time in their life.

I would've liked this too, but I can forgive the writers since none of the kids get these scenes. Not even Rachel or Finn. Even Finn finding out Quinn wasn't carrying his baby didn't give us a scene with his mum, I think trivial stuff like a new boyfriend would be overlooked by these writers. The disappointing thing is, after Original Song, we did actually get a Kurt/Burt scene. It was in Born This Way, but that unfortunately was wasted on Karofsky business, which I had no interest in and would rather the character be permanently off my screen.

Edited by fireangel611, May 6, 2012 @ 4:35 AM.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:25 AM

Attractiveness in Glee seems to be in direct relation to social status within the school. Kurt is "toothpick arms", and endless gay, skinny and pale remarks, Rachel is "manhands", "ru-paul" and endless nose, flatchest, dwarf and Jewish remarks. And apparently Finn is considered fat. I think in Glee-universe Kurt and Rachel really are supposed to be seen as unattractive. So yeah, maybe the ages don't really have to make any sense visually since what we see is obviously not what's really happening there.

I think the most recent ep just confirmed Rachel is 18 again.

Oh? I missed that, but I wasn't really paying attention anyways. God, the continuity of this show... I think thus far Rachel and Kurt are the only ones whose birthdays have been explicitly stated/shown and they still manage to mess that up. Although, Rachel's age was established in season 1 so with this show it's probably unrealistic to assume the writers remember that.

though I have my doubts Kurt understood, he doesn't even appear to know what a bear cub is.

Hee, I just have to comment on this that I loved that moment. It was so endearingly teenager. I think both Kurt and Karofsky thought they knew what they were talking about but it was evident they had no idea.

Edited by a finn gleek, May 6, 2012 @ 4:32 AM.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

though I have my doubts Kurt understood, he doesn't even appear to know what a bear cub is.

Hee, I just have to comment on this that I loved that moment. It was so endearingly teenager. I think both Kurt and Karofsky thought they knew what they were talking about but it was evident they had no idea.

Reminds me of last year's Rolling Stone Photo:

http://www.afterelto...-bar-photo-poll

Jester85

Jester85

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

The "toothpick arms" comment was especially head-scratching, considering we'd just seen like a scene beforehand that Kurt clearly does NOT have toothpick arms.

Also, expecting us to believe Lea Michele is unattractive is a bit absurd. Although both Finn and the more objective observer Will have both commented that Rachel is "beautiful" (in Born This Way), while we have yet to have anyone point out that Kurt is not "unattractive".

There's also a weird contrast in the way they go out of their way to make Darren Criss less attractive than he really is with copious amounts of hair gel and grandpa outfits, but have everyone and their mother regard Blaine as attractive, but I'm wandering off-topic. Again, what we "see" and what the case is really supposed to be re: everyone's levels of attractiveness are at odds.

If nothing else, at least Chandler provided us with someone other than Blaine finding Kurt desirable.

Edited by Jester85, May 6, 2012 @ 10:04 AM.

eireann113

eireann113

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Another comment on appearance and costuming -- Chris, to me, looked more muscular and built in "Struck by Lightning" than he generally does as Kurt. I don't think it was a point of character to emphasize Carson's muscles deliberately, nor was he wearing particularly tight or revealing clothes, just (maybe) less layers. Chris' body is usually (not always) hidden pretty well by Kurt's wardrobe.

Jester85

Jester85

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I thought "I'm the Greatest Star" showed the tone of his arms...which made it all the more silly when Emma immediately afterwards referenced the "toothpick arms" that any viewer with functioning eyesight can see he doesn't have.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Chris has a frame that is not the kind to lend itself to being especially muscular and bulky. He's never going to be built like Darren or Mark. If he really develops it, he'll be built more like Harry - long, lean and very toned. Chris just won't have that broad, bulky kind of musculature but that hardly means he has "toothpick" arms. And I actually prefer physiques like Chris's and Harry's. And a lot of the costuming choices for Kurt lately have definately been showing him being much more toned and developed then in past seasons. The tailored shirt and fitted jackets definately show of that lean, dancer's body to a "t".

I don't get there the "tookpick arms" comment during the WSS came from because, I agree, if anyone was actually looking at Kurt, they would have seen toned muscle and enough strength that he could haul himself up and swing all over the scaffolding like a spider monkey. To me, it was evidence that none of the directors were actually seeing Kurt as he actually was and seeing the image of Kurt that they were familiar with. Emma was the only one that was on the verge of recognizing that Kurt had indeed grown up and had a man's body (but couldn't quite break away from the image of the twelve year old milkmaid that ralphed all over her shoes).

One thing that I especially loved about Kurt's NTBND set was that it was unquestionably an adult performance with an actor that was at ease with his own physical and sexual appeal. You don't do hip circles the way Kurt did without being completely in tune with his body and selling himself in a sexually attractive manner. Kurt embraced the character so completely that the performance flowed and you could appreciate both the character that Kurt was trying to portray, and Kurt himself. It wasn't hammy (though in a less capable actor's hands, that role could be majorly hammy), and it wasn't OTT. Kurt had the sense to bring the flamboyance without overdoing it. If you ever watch Hugh Jackman's performace of the same role, he was a lot more OTT. I actually appreciate the restraint that Kurt showed.

One thing that I found interesting about Kurt's audition vs Rachel's is how Kurt clearly had his gaze on the future. He was looking ahead to roles that he would want and looking at being a relevent performer in modern Broadway theater (where you see more shows like Next to Normal than you do Funny Girl). Rachel's audition was fixed on the past. Old Broadway that you don't see as much of outside of revivals, and more tellingly, her past glory rather than looking foward. Barbara might be a historical icon in musical theater, but she's not the future of theater. Kurt I think showed a lot more intelligence in the selection of his audition material than Rachel did (even if she had managed to perform perfectly).

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I wonder why Blaine was so into Kurt's audition. Last time hip action was brought up he got angry and told an ex-stripper that it means that you're for sale and started a fight. Glad for Kurt that he obviously didn't let Blaine see him practice "Not the Boy next Door".

I'm going to go against the flow, I thought the pants were awful, but they're from the original "Boy From Oz" right? Was the dance routine also from it or did Kurt come up with it himself?

Edited by a finn gleek, May 6, 2012 @ 12:46 PM.

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Hugh Jackman's version

A lot of Kurt's moves - and absolutely the pants - were lifted directly from the stage play performance.

Edited by Bookworm06, May 6, 2012 @ 1:07 PM.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Kurt's choreography took a lot from the Broadway production - it wasn't as flamboyant as Hugh Jackman's (and I'll argue that I found Kurt's style preferable because while I loved Hugh Jackman's performance, it did verge on characture at times. Kurt's version was completely Kurt in his interpitation of the song and adding his own spin onto the performance. What I liked was that you could recall Hugh Jackman's performance (since he's the actor most well associated with the role) without it being a copy of Hugh's performance. That's not an easy thing to accomplish.

I'll be shallow and admit that I loved the gold pants (and clearly Blaine loved them too). I have no explaination for why Blaine acted like a horse's ass regarding Sam's provokative dancing (other than he was hormonal and dealing with Finn bitching on him), but I definately got the impression that he was totally turned on. His reaction, wanting to jump to his feet and applaud, and then looking like a puppy wiggling in his skin and trying to restrain himself. It was rather adorable and I had the feeling that Kurt was going to end up tackled right after school.

Edited by Ranwing, May 6, 2012 @ 2:42 PM.

Jester85

Jester85

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I wonder why Blaine was so into Kurt's audition.

Are you looking for a more elaborate answer than "because it's his boyfriend"?

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Hee, I guess that's good enough for an explanation. ;)

And thanks for the link to Hugh's performance! Damn I'm jealous of those people who actually get to see real shows instead of YouTube clips...

StaceyinMA

StaceyinMA

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Both Chris and Darren have very slim body types. Darren is tiny in person. Not super short but he has a very tiny waist and he's small boned. He's muscular but very lean, not bulky. I think it's a bit deceptive on camera just how lean he is. Chris is actually wider in the waist and chest/shoulders than Darren, even though he also has a tiny waist and he's not bulky by any means. Again it's kind of deceptive on the show because of the way they dress him. I think one of the reasons they put Darren in the cardigans and sweaters is because it fills him out a little onscreen.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Kurt's version was completely Kurt in his interpitation of the song and adding his own spin onto the performance. What I liked was that you could recall Hugh Jackman's performance (since he's the actor most well associated with the role) without it being a copy of Hugh's performance. That's not an easy thing to accomplish.

While it played in Australia in the late 90's I think it only made it to Broadway in 2003 with Hugh Jackman, (IIRC it's the only Aussie musical to make it to Broadway). As such it's not a quintessential Broadway musical nor are any of the songs evergreen show tune standards per se. I think that it why there was some talk of it being "risky" for Kurt to audition without a tried and true Broadway number.

Jester85

Jester85

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

Right, The Boy From Oz, while recognizable due to Hugh Jackman, isn't the theater staple like Phantom of the Opera or Funny Girl, and Rachel also seemed to be afraid the subject matter (a musical biopic of a flamboyantly gay man) would be more controversial (although it's no secret that flamboyant gay men are a dime a dozen in theater, and the Broadway crowd, and someone like Carmen Tibideaux probably wouldn't--and didn't--bat an eyelash about that).

Nonetheless, Kurt was wise to go with Not The Boy Next Door for two reasons. First, the one stated in the show, that it was off the beaten track and not something Tibideaux had heard 10,000 times. Doing something she sees from people so often means she is probably more easily bored by it, so you have to work extra hard both to engage her and make yourself stand out among the legions of other people she's seen perform the exact same song. Second, whether Glee's plane of reality thinks he is or not, Kurt is all wrong for The Phantom, just as he was all wrong for Tony in West Side Story. The Phantom requires a dark, brooding, foreboding, and authoritative presence, and Kurt's high voice, campy flamboyant mannerisms, and general youth, do not remotely convey. He would have miscast himself horribly if he'd tried to pull off The Phantom in front of Tibideaux, especially since she's probably seen literally thousands of people do it who were better-suited to it than Kurt. However, she probably hasn't seen many people perform Not The Boy Next Door.

Also, in her worship of Barbra Streisand, Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters, etc., and her falling back on a tried-and-true staple of her repertoire like "Don't Rain On My Parade" from an old production like Funny Girl, Rachel was clinging to the glory days of Broadway's past, not looking ahead. Yes, Streisand is of course a legendary icon, but doing Streisand songs isn't going to make you stand out like a fresh new talent because A) Streisand herself has already done them, and B) Streisand is old.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

Also, in her worship of Barbra Streisand, Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters, etc., and her falling back on a tried-and-true staple of her repertoire like "Don't Rain On My Parade" from an old production like Funny Girl, Rachel was clinging to the glory days of Broadway's past, not looking ahead.

Not only was Rachel looking to Broadway's past, she was also looking to her own. DROMP was, unquestionably, her greatest triumph as performer and it's understandable why she would want to revisit that song. It's one that she admitted has been singing her whole life, and given that she had achieved something great with it, it's understandable that she would want to revisit it for this most important audition. The problem is that it didn't push her past that past achievement. She wasn't forcing herself to grow and expand as an artist and even had she sung it perfectly, it would have been a repeat of something already good rather than something new and exciting. She was so afraid of failing this audition that in trying to ensure that she could perform something well, she backslid badly as a performer and it showed.

I was glad that Kurt decided not to play it safe, because frankly, what did he have to lose? Kurt was the underdog going into the audition. He was the one with the much thinner resume, and the one less likely to be accepted. The only chance he had of making the grade was to throw all caution to the wind and give an absolute blow out of a performance. He had no choice but to push himself as a performer and try something different. Phantom is a great role, but as others have said, it's not one ideally suited to Kurt at this stage because of Kurt's vocal qualities (the part is written for a baratone) and the fact that Kurt is just so damn young. I liked his rendition of MOTN because it was interesting and different from numerous other renditions that I've heard before, but it was more an interesting musical experiment than something that would make a successful audition peice.

Kurt showed a lot of awareness is sensing that while he was good doing MOTN, it wasn't going to do the job. He said it himself - it was dated and boring. Kurt himself couldn't get excited about it, so how could he expect an audience to be excited? No matter how well he performed it, he would be compared to every other auditioner who used MOTN. He needed something that would stand out from all the other male auditioners, and would highlight the best things about him as a performer. Rather than trying to force a song to fit his voice (as MOTN would have to have been), he selected a song that would make an easier fit and show off the full range of his voice (and his gorgeous upper range was something that should be celebrated and not hidden). He selected a character that he can portray well, with a dance routine that again showed off the athleticism and grace that we're now associating with his performance style.

Kurt also gave a lot of consideration to staging his audition, and having Brittany, Tina and Mercedes as his "swans" was an inspired decision. There's no rule that he had to be on stage completely alone (and even if he'd done MOTN he would have had either Tina or Rachel as his Christine). Having his "swans" gave a basic audition almost the feel of a mini-performance and the girls were staged in a way not to be obtrusive and take any focus away from Kurt. You were easily able to see Kurt fitting into a full production and that was the leap of faith that he needed to get Ms. Tibideaux to take - to actually see him as a potential perfomer rather than just someone vying for a spot in a school. The whole set up of his audition was so superior to Rachel's (who again only highlight herself as a singer and not as a stage actress) that I've argued that even had Rachel not choked, Kurt would still have had the superior audition.

As hard as it was seeing Kurt shot down during the WSS auditions, I think that looking back, it was necessary for him to have had that experience. He's well used to not getting the parts and solos that he tries for, but this was the first time he really had clear insight as to why he wasn't getting a part (and while it sucks to hear that he's not thought of being manly, it forced Kurt to accept that there would be some parts that he just wasn't well suited for). It pushed him to be a more deliberate, thoughtful performer. Adversity pushed Kurt to grow and this was one time when it really paid off in his favor.

And Blaine was so adorably the loving boyfriend, who was enthralled with Kurt no matter what he did.

Jester85

Jester85

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

As hard as it was seeing Kurt shot down during the WSS auditions, I think that looking back, it was necessary for him to have had that experience. He's well used to not getting the parts and solos that he tries for, but this was the first time he really had clear insight as to why he wasn't getting a part (and while it sucks to hear that he's not thought of being manly, it forced Kurt to accept that there would be some parts that he just wasn't well suited for). It pushed him to be a more deliberate, thoughtful performer. Adversity pushed Kurt to grow and this was one time when it really paid off in his favor.

I actually thought the Kurt WSS storyline was quite realistic and true-to-life. As harsh as some found it, Kurt needed a reality check. He simply isn't suited to Tony. Frankly, his "gayness" is self-evident in a way that Blaine's isn't (at least when he chooses for it not to be) and would detract from his believability in a role like Tony. But as Burt said, "what's wrong with any of that? It's who you are".

The simple, inescapable truth [for me] is that Kurt is an effeminate, obvious homosexual who would not be taken seriously by most people in a heterosexual romantic role like Tony (or the Phantom, for that matter). But Kurt's victory is that, rather than be fatally discouraged by that, he found a way to show his qualities to their very best advantage rather than letting them be a detriment. The first step was accepting the hard truth that he isn't going to be suited for or cast in every role out there that he might want. The second step is taking that realization, processing it, and then learning to select the roles you can excel in, and make as big a splash as you can with them.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 6, 2012 @ 10:47 PM.
Opinion as fact

Cylelle

Cylelle

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Kurt also gave a lot of consideration to staging his audition, and having Brittany, Tina and Mercedes as his "swans" was an inspired decision. There's no rule that he had to be on stage completely alone (and even if he'd done MOTN he would have had either Tina or Rachel as his Christine). Having his "swans" gave a basic audition almost the feel of a mini-performance and the girls were staged in a way not to be obtrusive and take any focus away from Kurt. You were easily able to see Kurt fitting into a full production and that was the leap of faith that he needed to get Ms. Tibideaux to take - to actually see him as a potential perfomer rather than just someone vying for a spot in a school.

In addition, having the girls there speaks well to his character as it showed both his willingness to share a stage for the sake of the performance and the fact that his classmates were happy enough to support him when he needed them to.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

The simple, inescapable truth (for me) is that Kurt lives in a toxic, homophobic environment where even his friends are a bit close minded and narrow thinking. The irony to me is that is his Tony audition was not bad at all, and his "Romeo and Juliet" scene was OK, as was the Phantom scene per se, even if he was overacting. The problem has been hammered home to me per the show that the problem isn't Kurt so much as the people and town around him.

You have the blubbering hypocritical Biestie who whines that people can't see her beyond their own box and yet can't picture Kurt playing a male lead. You have Artie who believes in casting against type and yet questions others masculinity when others would rule him out of a role because of his state. Emma was actually dead on when saying she could see the romanticism of a Kurt "Tony". To me one of the most obvious running theme is that Kurt is surrounded by a village of idiots, including Will Shcuester. The fact that he was relegated to a non sinigng non dancing role in West Side Story drove home the drooling idiocy of the people around him.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

The problem has been hammered home to me per the show that the problem isn't Kurt so much as the people and town around him.

This is why I loved the latest episode and Rachel honest to god messing up the audition on her own. She's 17, that happens, it's realistic. I'm sick and tired of the martyr act, Kurt had every reason to not get the part of Tony on his own "merits". If I was a director I'd rather have gone with a guy auditioning with a well sung song from the show than some Barbra Streisand number heavily leaning on unnecessary gimmicks. Still, the show just had to make it seem like Kurt was a poor victim in that situation, and everyone else was awfully insensitive bordering on homophobe. They managed to make Artie and especially Beiste look really bad in the process (that comment about lady bits? She's a teacher!) just to hammer home that Kurt's failure wasn't really his own fault. Although the show gave no acknowledgment that Kurt really needed to grow as a performer, the people around him did, I'm glad he did anyways.

In addition, having the girls there speaks well to his character as it showed both his willingness to share a stage for the sake of the performance and the fact that his classmates were happy enough to support him when he needed them to.

Is having backup singers really considered "sharing stage"?

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

If I was a director I'd rather have gone with a guy auditioning with a well sung song from the show than some Barbra Streisand number heavily leaning on unnecessary gimmicks.

I would have gone with the guy with the better stage prescense and vocal ability, namely Kurt, but well, that's just me. If the staging of the scene was unfair to Kurt, it was laughably "unfair" in making Blaine, who gave a Ok audition (his voice IMO was glaringly not suited for the song he sang) seem like some sort of epitome of masculine hotness on stage. Finn and Puck exude that, Blaine I don't think so.

They practically had to have Biestie and the rest wetting their panties during that Blaine's OK performance, which really stretched credibility but that's Glee.

fireangel611

fireangel611

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

I wonder why Blaine was so into Kurt's audition. Last time hip action was brought up he got angry and told an ex-stripper that it means that you're for sale and started a fight. Glad for Kurt that he obviously didn't let Blaine see him practice "Not the Boy next Door".

Nice catch. Blaine isn't consistent where his boyfriend is concerned, which is totally understandable. But he was also pissed when he blew up at Sam, Kurt auditioning for NYADA isn't going to get his temper going. Besides, I always get the vibe Kurt isn't aware of his attractiveness, so he isn't as explicit as Sam knowingly using his hips to sell sex. Kurt is trying to impress a middle aged scary NYADA alum, different audience to Regionals.

Chris has a frame that is not the kind to lend itself to being especially muscular and bulky. He's never going to be built like Darren or Mark. If he really develops it, he'll be built more like Harry - long, lean and very toned. Chris just won't have that broad, bulky kind of musculature but that hardly means he has "toothpick" arms.

I actually would group Mark and Harry as being broad and having that bulky kind of musculature, and put Chris and Darren in the 'slim' framed category. Darren is even slimmer than Chris these days, watch the two of them stand side by side singing Love Shack.

Reminds me of last year's Rolling Stone Photo:

http://www.afterelto...-bar-photo-poll

I want to know if Kurt knows what HE’D be classified as if Karofsky’s a bear cub. I want to see that look of realization on his face when he finds out this little bit of info about himself. :D :D
And I love that Rolling Stone photo. It’s hilarious. Fast forward a year and Kurt did actually enter a gay bar, though his experience there was nothing like that photo.

I'm sick and tired of the martyr act, Kurt had every reason to not get the part of Tony on his own "merits".
They managed to make Artie and especially Beiste look really bad in the process (that comment about lady bits? She's a teacher!) just to hammer home that Kurt's failure wasn't really his own fault.

I view it as the opposite. I’m sick and tired of them not giving Kurt a real shot, just so they can hammer in his failure and his inappropriateness next to Blaine. Why didn’t they let him audition with a proper song like Maria, why didn’t they let him act out something from WSS instead of Romeo & Juliet? Why didn’t they let him wear something appropriate as opposed to those ridiculous stockings, clothes and hair? If they’d let him have a fair shot in this, Bieste or Artie wouldn’t even be laughing in the first place or made to ‘look really bad’.

Is having backup singers really considered "sharing stage"?

For an audition, I'd say yes. He didn't do it solo, which is pretty normal in auditions, he had the flexibility and creativity to use other people to support his performance. Tina/Brit/Mercedes as his backup actually makes a lot of sense, one of the times Glee does something really cool to surprise me. Tina and Brit were his back up to Single Ladies and they've revived the Kurtcedes relationship recently, so it's plausible they'd happily help him out. Those 3 are a good pick over Santana/Quinn/Sugar.

On this topic, I seriously miss when Kurt used to have scenes with the girls, like when he picked out their Prom dresses or had pillow fights with them. (Songs like summer nights don't really count)

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:21 AM

I view it as the opposite. I’m sick and tired of them not giving Kurt a real shot, just so they can hammer in his failure and his inappropriateness next to Blaine. Why didn’t they let him audition with a proper song like Maria, why didn’t they let him act out something from WSS instead of Romeo & Juliet?

This is a fair point as well. [snip] But they had [Rachel] mess up, which I appreciate, just like imho they had Kurt mess up by making all the wrong decisions during his WSS story line. However, Kurt did a good job when it actually counted, and for me that would be more powerful if I could think "oh, he learned from his mistakes" instead of "wow, the world learned how to perceive Kurt." I'm in the not liking "I Am the Greatest Star" camp, I just didn't see it as a good audition and to me it WAS too gimmicky (for a high school play at least, it felt like he tried to compensate lack of talent (which isn't true in his case) by being flashy) and it bothers me that it was staged as a failure in the directors' part, not Kurt's.

They practically had to have Biestie and the rest wetting their panties during that Blaine's OK performance, which really stretched credibility but that's Glee.

This I can agree with. Blaine wasn't that amazing, but I did think he was better than Kurt. But of course mileage varies, and in this case the directors, like me, preferred Blaine. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that, but Bieste did cross the line by being completely inappropriate in her way of speaking about students. Like Figgins said in "Bad Reputation" (yes, I LOVE that episode and I've seen it about a million times) he will not have an environment that sexualizes children. Well buddy, shenanigans happened.

On this topic, I seriously miss when Kurt used to have scenes with the girls, like when he picked out their Prom dresses or had pillow fights with them

The prom dress scene was cute. But the pillow fight always reminds me of the completely non-existent work ethic of these kids. At least the other boys and Rachel tried to get their act together at least a little bit, not throwing pillows. Seriously, I couldn't believe they didn't have their set list ready when they arrived in NY last year, it's in my TOP5 of stupidest things ever on this show, and that list is LONG.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 8, 2012 @ 5:39 PM.
Boards on boards