Kurt Hummel: Mr. Cellophane

• Please log in to reply

14240 replies to this topic

PoemJunkie

PoemJunkie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2010 @ 6:37 PM

While I imagine many viewers of Glee identify strongly with Kurt as a character, I think it may also be the degree to which Kurt crosses a line that may cause much of the passionate responses or reactions which you reference.

I think one of the biggest "crossing the line" moments for a lot of people was getting Finn to move in so they would be sharing space. But when Rachel had a crush on Will, she went over to his house, cooked dinner and cleaned for him, which was also way inappropriate and IMO, as creepy as many people viewed how Kurt acted on his crush as being. But because the Rachel/Will story line was represented in a farcical, comedic way, and Kurt/Finn's was couched in the dramatic side of the show, people took what were, in my view, relative acts, and condemned Kurt in a way that Rachel never was. YMMV.

DaSaint

DaSaint

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2010 @ 6:55 PM

But because the Rachel/Will story line was represented in a farcical, comedic way, and Kurt/Finn's was couched in the dramatic side of the show, people took what were, in my view, relative acts, and condemned Kurt in a way that Rachel never was

Interesting. One was used as a laugh the other..not so much in the end.

However in the end of that episode, Rachel learned a lesson and realised her error and it was presented as such to the viewers...Kurt on the other hand.....his fans fanwanked that a look here or there with Finn was enough. we really don't know anything beyond guessing. Did Burt and Finn nad Kurt actually resolve anything? I never thought Kurt and Finn would ever stay mad anyway, but did Kurt grow at all from his experience?

I wouldn't know I find myself FFwd through anything Kurt these days. watching once is enough. right now I'm bored enough to actually read through all the threads....sad I know.

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

While I imagine many viewers of Glee identify strongly with Kurt as a character, I think it may also be the degree to which Kurt crosses a line that may cause much of the passionate responses or reactions which you reference.

However, mileage varies as to how far over the line he really went, too.

For example, from my point of view, Kurt introduced his father to Carole to get closer to Finn. Kurt did not make the adults fall in love. He did not make them decide to move in together. They did that on their own. He is not an evil puppet master focusing his evil gay brainwashing rays on the adults to force them to do his bidding.

He sang Finn a love song. Awkward. I do not see that this was any worse than any of the other times that kids from Glee unleashed their inappropriate feelings on another Gleeker during the Assignment of the Week. Gives You Hell and Jesse's Girl in particular come to mind. Yes, I absolutely think that both of those were every inch as inappropriate. Every. Single. Inch. In fact, since Rachel was bitching Finn out in front of the entire Glee club and deliberately ignoring the assignment in the process, Gives You Hell was worse.

He grabbed $300 to redecorate their room "for Finn" in a way that he wanted Finn to want. That was selfish and delusional. It was also a subconscious way of expressing his feelings for Finn without actually making a pass at him. I do not think Kurt intended to make Finn uncomfortable. I don't think he actually expected to seduce Finn. I do think he just wanted to be near him. Remember, as far as Kurt knows, he's the only gay kid in Lima. He has no options at all. He can either be around the boy he has a crush on or be entirely alone. He chose the former.

I am not trying to suggest that Kurt's behavior was healthy. It wasn't. Most behavior in Glee is not healthy. It was delusional.
He wanted Finn. He flirted with Finn, somewhat subconsciously. That, and the disastrous attempt to decorate the room, was enough to make Finn uncomfortable. I do not blame Finn for losing his temper.

However, in places besides here I have heard his behavior described as sexual harrasment and predatory. I have heard references to gay rape. I never once heard Kurt actually say anything sexually oriented at Finn. He didn't make a pass at him. The nearest he's come to groping him was in the butt slap in "Push It" way back in episode two. Kurt's behavior was lonely and sad, but I just didn't see the constant aggressive, leering harassment that others see. He's got nothing on Jacob harassing Rachel.

Actually, I think the comparison to Rachel scrubbing Terri's floor to get to Will is quite on the mark.

I never thought Kurt and Finn would ever stay mad anyway, but did Kurt grow at all from his experience?

Now, that's a fair question. I agree with the "fanwankers" that the glance during Journey was intended to indicate that Kurt accepted the romance of Finn and Rachel. I agree that Kurt accepts that Finn is straight. However, I also agree that the writers did not really finish the story completely. They had a big problem with that this year. They didn't properly finish Shelby or Jesse's stories, either, and Kurt's story got further than theirs did. From what I understand, Theatricality was supposed to come after Funk, but they switched them around because Theatricality was a much stronger episode and they wanted to run it during sweeps. To that end, a LOT of material got switched around or deleted entirely. Burt and Carole were originally written into the finale, and that got left out as well.

Maybe they should have spent more time tying up these loose ends and less time making Will seduce Sue.

As for Kurt - without spoiling anything specifically, we already know he's got a big storyline next season, and it's not about Finn. We will just have to see what he's learned.

Edited by Bookworm06, Jun 16, 2010 @ 7:17 PM.

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 10:43 AM

Guys, I'm locking this thread for the day (at least) so y'all can cool down -- and because with all the accusations of trolling around here, none of y'all actually followed the rules and bothered to post it in FTC or Troll Patrol. Thanks.

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 10:28 AM

This is a thread about a television character and the actor who plays him. It's not a thread about Rachel, Finn, Puck, or Schu. It's not a thread about how society treats gay teenagers in middle America. It's a thread about Kurt. If you're not going to make Kurt the primary focus of discussion, then it's off-topic.

If you can't get along with people who like him—or if you can't get along with people who don't like him—this is not the place for you. End of story.

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts, just repeat to yourself "it's just a show", and I should really just relax.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 3, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.

bayth

bayth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

Chris showing off his mad Sai Sword Skills!! I wonder how they could work this into Kurt's storyline...

Edited by bayth, Jun 18, 2010 @ 6:25 PM.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

Thanks!

And woah!!! And to think that Kurt dropped the baton in Wheels!

That's a seriously impressive ability... I would end stabbing myself.

mstms

mstms

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 7:46 PM

Chris showing off his mad Sai Sword Skills!!

Uow, that was kinda hot.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

Uow, that was kinda hot.

I've read that across the Internet. It seems that swords have an irresistible sexual magnetism :D

bayth

bayth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 8:18 PM

Interview with Jonathan Ross.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 12:46 AM

And to think that Kurt dropped the baton in Wheels!

Heh, much like it took Lea skill to sing intentionally horribly, Chris secretly had mad skills to whip that baton into the bleachers without taking out a crew member....

VirgoTaurus

VirgoTaurus

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 4:04 AM

Uow, that was kinda hot.

I see him do stuff like that and I have to remind myself that he's only 20 and my lust is severly innapropriate...but warranted.

Edited by VirgoTaurus, Jun 19, 2010 @ 4:04 AM.

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 12:47 PM

I'm sure Sue would approve of adding Kurt's sai skills to her Cheerios routines. Actually she may have already trained her Cheerios to be ninja warriors for extra credit.

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 1:08 PM

I'm sure Sue would approve of adding Kurt's sai skills to her Cheerios routines. Actually she may have already trained her Cheerios to be ninja warriors for extra credit.

This is by far the best Glee-related image I've been presented with in a long while.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 1:52 PM

This needs to happens. If Sue was a sniper in the Falkland/Malvinas War, I'm sure she would appreciate some sneaky killer moves.

The Sarcaster

The Sarcaster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 3:44 PM

I think many of us would be thrilled if Kurt became a ninja assassin. I can see it now - Jacob investigates the unexplained death of one Dave Karofsky and discovers shurikens in Kurt's locker...

Edited by The Sarcaster, Jun 19, 2010 @ 3:45 PM.

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

There's a team in the making, there.

Puck already has his nunchucks.

SciFiNut

SciFiNut

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 4:32 PM

Aw man. Y'all beat me to it. I just saw the video now. I'm thinking of how the bullies would react if he came out with those. And he really wouldn't have to worry about Figgins. If Tina scared him off as a vampire, how do you think he'd react to having a ninja on campus?

burntoemerge

burntoemerge

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 7:20 PM

I remember Chris once saying that he'd rather not have Kurt use sai swords, because he wanted to save that skill set as a surprise for another project/character.

However, I can totally see Sue incorporating sai swords and general weaponry into future Cheerios routines. If we don't get to see it in a future season, I'd at least like a throwaway line on the subject.

Arctis Tor

Arctis Tor

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

Everyone in cheerleader outfits and sai and katana swords wildly swinging around as they bloodily take out drug cartels or whatnot? You know, I'd probably play the hell out of that video game.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

The final boss would be Will's curly hair!

I hope we get more of the Cheerios routines with Kurt singing.

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

He really did sound great on 4 Minutes (and Bad Romance). I wish they'd give him more pop numbers.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 1:26 AM

Chris and the sai swords was kind of awesome. I love the dude.

Chris once saying that he'd rather not have Kurt use sai swords, because he wanted to save that skill set as a surprise for another project/character.

While I'd love to see Kurt bring out the fierce unknown skill, it would be great if Chris did get another project where he got to go all out ninja.

I wish they'd give him more pop numbers.

I wish they'd let him use his lower register more. His upper register makes me wince sometimes, I just don't like the sound, there have been a couple of exceptions but sometimes he just takes me out the song. I'd love to hear him sing a little lower for a change, if he's got the voice why not give him a couple of the songs Artie gets.

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

Chris showing off his mad Sai Sword Skills!! I

Oh, my word. It's a shame he doesn't want to do that on Glee, because a sequence featuring Kurt and those swords would be epic.

SeattleGuy89

SeattleGuy89

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 5:04 PM

Kurt should use those skills to scare the two bullies.

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

From the TWoP interview with Chris:

But I'm a huge, huge history buff, and I went to the Tower of London yesterday, and I literally was the tour guide for our group. I could not believe how much history I knew; I pretty much knew what happened in every single room, and I was like, "Oh that was the gate that Anne Boleyn came through!" and "Oh that's the room those two princes were smothered in!" and "Look! Lady Jane Grey sat here went she watched her husband get executed on the lawn!"

I just love him so much, you guys. It's sort of unhealthy.

And re: him rereading his Twitter posts before he makes them, that's why I only follow him, Dianna, and Lea out of the cast. They're the most, ah... literate, shall we say, in how they present themselves. Not that the others make fools of themselves, but I occasionally want to encourage the use of proper grammar and it just irks.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 1:54 PM

When I read stuff like this I wonder how this kid was so friendless. He's amazing. Fun, nice and smart/cultured. There's nothing so compelling like smart/cultured people.

Oh, well.

As Illyria said, his tweets are great because he's always so articulated. And use proper punctuation. And capitalisation.

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

Great interview! Well, Chris never ceases to be a doll.

TWoP: Is there a song that you're desperate to sing next season that you really hope they put in?
Colfer: Well, Kurt's done "Defying Gravity" and "Rose's Turn," so I think "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" is next in line, I can only imagine. Or some ridiculous other female ballad would be fun.

I really want Kurt to keep taking on female power ballads and I'm totally rooting for 'Don't Cry for Me Argentina' now too. Like 'Rose's Turn' it's another song/monolgue that Chris could act the hell out of and I think it would suit his voice too. It could even fit with Kurt's S2 storyline if, as speculated, Kurt becomes more popular, he and his boyfriend become prom kings, Sue might make him Head Cheerio, etc.

It'd be great to see Kurt experience an Eva style rise to fame and then use the song for Kurt realising that his heart still belongs to Glee club (don't cry for me, New Directions?!).

Edited by Rosencrantz 13, Jun 24, 2010 @ 2:00 PM.

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

As Illyria said, his tweets are great because he's always so articulated. And use proper punctuation. And capitalisation.

And can be hysterically funny. I felt bad for laughing at the duo regarding seeing the cop writing him a ticket, but oh, did I ever laugh.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 2:19 PM

Just in case you need another reason to love Chris (I doubt you do). He's awesome.