Kurt Hummel: Mr. Cellophane

• Please log in to reply

14240 replies to this topic

Intel

Intel

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 8:35 AM

I think Kurt may quite possibly be my most favourite character out of them all, if pushed to choose one.

Chris Colfer's Twitter is pretty great - plenty of funny comments and observations - as are the writers/producers posting as Kurt. My favourite tweets from Kurt so far include: "GOLDEN GIRLS MARATHON THIS WEEKEND. DO NOT EVEN TRY TO CONTACT ME." - (July 3rd) and "I just hand-knitted myself a onesie!" - (August 13th)

I've checked out the 'Bust Your Windows' preview a while back in the original Glee thread, and it just made me want the next episodes that much more, especially regarding Kurt's character (and Mercedes).

Basically I think that my Kurt love will soar exponentially throughout the series. Do others feel the same?

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 16, 2013 @ 5:52 PM.

mocoo

mocoo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

I think he is the the real find of the series. He's on a bunch of top 10 lists of actors to watch this season.

Ryana

Ryana

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 6:49 PM

Hello. I'm Kurt Hummel and I'll be auditioning for the role of kicker.

Love love! The official Glee Wiki entry is only solidifying my love of Kurt.

(Please excuse the fangirl squeeing, I promise future posts will be more relevant)

Edited by Ryana, Sep 5, 2009 @ 6:50 PM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 11:56 AM

Kurt Hummel? Like the figurines? That has to be deliberate.

I wish I could join that Glee community without using Facebook.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 12:02 PM

It is deliberate and Kurt is for the kid in Sound of Music.

see about minute 5:10 for the Kurt stuff.

Intel

Intel

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 6:36 AM

(Please excuse the fangirl squeeing, I promise future posts will be more relevant)

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities this season for us to squee away about Kurt.

The best bit about that Wiki entry for me is the "Why we don't love" Kurt section. Answer: We don't.

Speaking of squeeing: Chris Colfer/Kurt fans, brace yourselves - on the promo tour he and Jenna got peer pressured (although I highly doubt it took much pressuring at all) into giving fans a live rendition of them dancing to 'Single Ladies'. You can tell he totally loves it (and Jenna can move... which is probably why the others chose those two to do it). Hehe, watching it again, Jenna's got the flava', and Chris has got the sass - both of these attributes are apparent at around 0.50 - 1.13. With them dancing, Lea, Amber and a bit of Kevin, I think, singing, and Dianna taking her own footage on her phone, it pretty much makes for a video made of awesome.

Triant

Triant

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 12:20 PM

Kurt's probably my favorite character on the show, so far.

Let's keep our fingers crossed he gets a love interest.

warble

warble

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

...he and Jenna got peer pressured (although I highly doubt it took much pressuring at all) into giving fans a live rendition of them dancing to 'Single Ladies'.

+++

That was great!

All the actors on this show seem lovely, but Chris stands out to me with his clever one-liners, his great comic timing, and his use of proper capitalization and spelling on his twitter account.

Speaking of his twitter account, a recent tweet says that he has named all the Kurt fans as the "Kurtsies." Ha!

Bottled Water

Bottled Water

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:26 AM

Ah, I just came here to post the Single Ladies video. This is a higher quality version here. So funny.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:41 PM.
Fixed linkage

royaltenenbaum

royaltenenbaum

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 12:01 PM

Chris definitely pulled off some great tweets during the tweet-peat! Some faves:

"I'm a method actor and demanded there be real garbage in the dumpster."

"I don't wish a slushee in the face to my worst enemies. It's like being bitch-slapped by an iceberg."

"The sad thing is, there are people who don't get the prostate joke..."

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 1:45 PM

"I don't wish a slushee in the face to my worst enemies. It's like being bitch-slapped by an iceberg."

Bwah! That's hilarious. That guy is a comedian.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:31 PM

Hello. I'm Kurt Hummel and I'll be auditioning for the role of kicker.

God I hope Kurt makes the football team. I just hope he turns out to have a solid golden foot and he boots it through the uprights from 60 yards. I really just want to see the jaws drop on all the jocks.

That would just be made of win.

SydinSacramento

SydinSacramento

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 1:25 AM

Had to add some Chris Colfer lurve here because he's just so darn happy to be in this new place and so darn excited. Actually all of them seem to be appreciating the moment, but Chris is especially sweet and just cracking me up, especially in the newspaper articles.

The little exchange with Mercedes in "Showmance" ...."You look like a technicolor zebra...You should call me first... People are going to think we did this on purpose." Upon second viewing, I realized that both Kurt and Mercedes were wearing the same colors and he was more than a little ticked. That exchange at first glance seemed like such a throw away bit but on second viewing was just another gem in this show. I think we are starting to get our buildup to their friendship and what ever issues Kurt and Mercedes have with each other. It makes sense two such strong characters would have issues and fuss once in a while.

Zif

Zif

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 4:49 AM

I love the scene where Kurt auditions, as it's clever for so many reasons. First of all, Kurt picks a song, Mr. Cellophane, where the character is singing about how invisible, inconsequential, unimpressive and undistinguished he is, where Kurt is clearly none of those things and could not blend in less if he tried.

Second of all, the song, if you listen to the lyrics, is self-pitying and sad, but Kurt sings it with utter confidence, with a hand posed on his hips and a lack of pathos. Unlike Amos in Chicago, who sings Mr. Cellophane, Kurt knows he's awesome, so to him, the audition is just a necessary evil, and why are they even forcing him to waste his time with this nonsense?

Third of all, when Kurt hits the high note on Mr. Cellophane, he holds it for a really long time and disinterestedly adjusts his hair before leaving the note. It's such a perfect "Fuck this shit" moment.

LuckyOnes

LuckyOnes

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 6:35 AM

He is by far my favorite character. His lines and the look on his face when he says those are just so funny!

I love how he always look so terrifed(?) everytime before school when he's being trapped with Puck and the gang. It's like his inner monologue to Mr. Schue is "get me the eff out of here! don't be blind!"

And I LOVED how he said "Blood?" and his face was just so elitist. It was so great.

He shines. Even with less lines, he really shines.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 9:59 PM

The character is awesome. I've never seen this actor before but was very impressed both with his singing and his comedic timing.
Have they ever actually said the character is gay? I mean obviously that is what they are selling but have they actually said it?

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 10:38 PM

Have they ever actually said the character is gay? I mean obviously that is what they are selling but have they actually said it?

I don't think they've ever said it outright... I could be wrong. But I don't think they've ever said it in the show (so far, but there have only been 2 episodes) and I'm pretty sure in official synopses and promos they've only referred to him as "flamboyant"

shimshamsqrl

shimshamsqrl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

Not within the show, but Chris has mentioned in interviews that the character is gay, and that the writers originally wanted Kurt to be more flamboyant. Chris wanted it to be more "internal" of a character (I think that was his word) and have it be more understated. Which I think is a really awesome acting choice.

It's kind of nice, and more realistic IMO, it's like he's semi-closeted, or else he just honestly doesn't think it's a big deal to be gay, but would really prefer not to be dumpstered again, thankyouverymuch.

Recovering TV Addict

Recovering TV Addict

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 3:22 AM

Sooooo...Kurt's hot for Finn, eh? I posted about this in the episode thread for "Accafellas" (sp?), but I wanted to bring it up under Kurt's thread, because I'm hoping it will be explored further as the series develops.

A bit of personal history: I'm 100% openly gay now, but when I was in high school (in the mid-80s), I thought I was bisexual at worst and straight-but-just-didn't-know-it-yet at best. Although I dated girls, I had some mad crushes on some of the straight boys, including some that I became really good friends with, which was exciting and angst-filled at the same time. I only came out to one of them, even admitting my feelings for him (which did not go well AT ALL).

My hope is that they explore this kind of dynamic with Kurt's attraction to Finn. I'm almost positive this is a topic that has not been covered in high school dramas, and I think the time is right to explore the concept of unrequited love/lust between a gay teen and a straight teen.

And bonus if Kurt sings about it.

whatfun

whatfun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 6:19 AM

WOW. He absolutely NAILED that moment coming out to Mercedes next to their lockers. Letting the hilariously superior and cuttingly cynical mask slip just for a moment to show real vulnerability. I legit had tears running down my face.

Where did they find this kid? I mean, he can do both comedic and dramatic acting with perfect timing and emotion, plus the singing plus the dancing? Crazy.

I really love this show.

Marxipan

Marxipan

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

Shame about the car. I would have thought Kurt's father would be ecstatic to fix it once he found out that it was broken because his son broke a girl's heart. Seems like the kind of thing he'd be encouraging.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 6:07 PM

Kurt said his Dad got him that car because he promised to stop wearing what?

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 6:14 PM

"Form-fitting sweaters that stop at the knee."

(Of course, Kurt was wearing a form-fitting sweater that stopped at the knee as he said this.)

shimshamsqrl

shimshamsqrl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

Kurt said his Dad got him that car because he promised to stop wearing what?

For wearing form-fitting sweaters that ended at the knee. Which was precisely what he was wearing for that scene. Ha!

The little bit of acting at the end of the coming-out scene is amazing, understated, and accurate! He had that "OMFG What Have I Just Done?!?" look on his face - yep, seen that look in my life. And then he just kind of sucked it up, set his face to aloof, and walked off, head held high.

On the purely shallow front, that black band-jacket-y Galliano-esque pirate jacket number was wonderful. *swoon!* I want it, but it just looks better on a pretty gay boy. (Damnit.) And, of course, I can't rock it with a cravat without looking stooopid. (Again, Damnit.)

JingerCat

JingerCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 6:59 PM

Am I the only one who watches each episode a second (and third....and fourth) time, just so I can catch Kurt's deadpan, oh puh-lease facial expressions as he delivers each line? This kid is gold. The "My dad took my baby away when he found my tiarra collection in my hope chest" made me laugh so hard I almost wet myself.

Seriously though, he is fantastic. I predict an Emmy nomination.

myintermail

myintermail

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 9:35 PM

Love, love love his portrayal of Kurt. Such good comedy timing, almost all of his lines are quotable for me :).

His ending with Mercedes is so emotional that I cried. Not many people can make me laugh AND cry for a show.

I'm anticipating his own solo later.

SevenSolis

SevenSolis

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 10:48 PM

I liked how he defended Mercedes from the evil choreographer, even after what she did to his car.

Marxipan

Marxipan

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

I just love that he has a hope chest!

Marauder

Marauder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 3:19 PM

I just love that he has a hope chest!

Me too - that was adorable.

I think Kurt's portrayal is great so far. I was in high school theater from 2000 to 2004, and I knew a lot of guys like him - mostly everyone figured they were gay, but it was still hard for them to officially come out of the closet. (There were also a few who were out to the whole school but not their parents.)

How is this kid getting his clothes? His mom funds the cash while his dad disapproves?

I'm anticipating his own solo later.

Yeah, me too, I re-watched the pilot this morning and was reminded of that high note he hit during his audition.

city girl heart

city girl heart

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 7:11 PM

Kurt is my favorite ever.

Hilarious video with Chris.

"Of course it's gonna be sad and awkward, it's high school."

""Kurt doesn't need a hag. He's his own hag. He's his own hag with a matching bag."