Quinn Fabray: Let's Pray

• Please log in to reply

1645 replies to this topic

PlinytheHipster

PlinytheHipster

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

At prom Finn also said that she had everything when people like Rachel had nothing and tried to force her out of her wheelchair. Because, despite being paralyzed, she had regained some ability to stand.

StreetSpirit

StreetSpirit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

At this point in the 5th season, I'm actually surprised at how much I miss Quinn. Glee has morphed into such an obnoxious bro-fest that the absence of characters who will casually (or not so casually) quote Gloria Steinem has become very glaring. I thought Quinn was batshit crazy most of the time, but she showed some promising glimpses at times and I really enjoyed what little we saw of her in season 4. I actually think her scenes with Santana in I Do were by far the highlight of a sucky season. I hope we see Quinn again before the series is over, preferably being fabulous in NY with Rachel and Santana

StarsFallen

StarsFallen

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 7:29 AM

At this point in the 5th season, I'm actually surprised at how much I miss Quinn. Glee has morphed into such an obnoxious bro-fest that the absence of characters who will casually (or not so casually) quote Gloria Steinem has become very glaring. I thought Quinn was batshit crazy most of the time, but she showed some promising glimpses at times and I really enjoyed what little we saw of her in season 4. I actually think her scenes with Santana in I Do were by far the highlight of a sucky season. I hope we see Quinn again before the series is over, preferably being fabulous in NY with Rachel and Santana 

I miss Quinn too. And yeah, she was crazy in a make no sense kind of way and it may not be the popular option but I don't believe her crazy was ever consistent. I know some people believe it made sense for the character but I disagree. I just feel like the writers had no idea what to do with her and were just writing to write.

She was pretty fabulous in season 4. I like to think parts of season 2 and 3 never happened, because in season 4 I was reminded me of how awesome I believed she was at the end of season 1 and what I thought she could be in season 2.  The start of season 2 always bothered me, for some reason, having Quinn go back to the Cherrios, I don't know why. I just had thought at the end of season 1, she realized being a Cherrio wasn't worth it. All the hell she had to go though, I remember the scene where Mercedes had fainted and they were in the nurse office and Quinn helped her by saying she realized she needed to take care of another life, it made her take of hers better, I just didn't quite understand why she would go back to that. 

And now I just typed that whole thought process and given too much thought to it when the show writers just wanted Quinn back in that cherrio uniform without giving it a seconds thought.

I do like Quinn. But I also feel like the poor character is roadkill for the sexist behavior given to the females on this show. I know all the females suffer with this but I feel like Quinn got it pretty harshly(now that seems to be Tina's role, when shes allowed to speak or do anything), but I feel like Quinn has always been the model for go to crazy women behavior. 

Edited by StarsFallen, Dec 10, 2013 @ 7:32 AM.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 7:18 PM

But, unlike current Tina, I always thought that Quinn's crazy made a certain amount of sense.  Driven by part trauma, part bitterness, part the hypocrisy of her upbringing, and part Sue's ungodly influence.  In seasons 1 and 2, she needed a full-time psychologist and social worker, but McKinley wasn't equipped for that and her own status-conscious family would never consider hiring one.  As a teenager, she had her parents in one ear and Sue in the other, providing conflicting examples of the "ideal" womanhood.  Quinn's crazy, but it's an understandable type of craziness, and I could always get her thoughts and motives.

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 9:22 PM

So great to see her again. Wouldn't be Quinn if she didn't backslide, but I assume the one night stand and Finn's death did a number on her.

Toxic and grabbing Biff's noise was hot.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 1:55 AM

I can buy that she would run back to her old MO of choosing a mate based on what that mate can give her status wise so Bif kind of made sense although she would not normally put up with guff from her boyfriend.  I also thought the nose grab was good;   But I NEVER got the feeling that Quinn really loved Puck.  That was very clear when Puck asked her if she EVER loved him after Beth was born and when she tried to use him to make another baby.  There was no warmth behind her machinations.

I thought her dancing and singing has improved since last time we saw her.

Wouldn't you think she'd feel the need to say a few words to Rachel regarding fixing the Prom Queen thing especially since Rachel ran to the bathroom to cry partially because of that reveal and at the previous prom when Quinn ran to the bathroom to cry Rachel went to calm her down.  You'd think she'd feel she owed Rachel an explanation and not let it stand that it was out of PITY.

Tom86

Tom86

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 4:11 AM

I don't think Quinn was in love with Finn or Puck she cared about them sure but IN love nope.

Prom Queen - In a way it still was pity imo.  

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 4:33 PM

It's funny as I think about it...she never said "love" or "soulmate" to him/about him. He pulled out the ultimatum and she gave in. Perhaps to keep him around as a friend or play up whatever feelings she has or a third option.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:03 PM

There was no warmth behind her machinations.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think Quinn loved any of the guys she was paired up with, and I found her relationship with Puck absolutely atrocious. It wasn't even one of those relationships you see that you know intellectually that it's wrong, but the chemistry and sweet moments make you forget about that, so you ship them. They were straight up awful to each other from beginning to end, and even if they did grow up and Quinn isn't the insane Icy Queen obsessed with popularity anymore and he isn't the manwhore who would call her fat when pregnant with his child, what in the hell would they even talk about anyway?

I wish they had just let Quinn end single or have a good guy boyfriend from Yale so she could have the picture perfect life she always wanted. If they were dead set on giving her a man in the end, I mean.

Edited by natyxg, Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:03 PM.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

There was no warmth behind her machinations.

The locker room/hallway bit was the first time I've seen real warmth and chemistry between them since right after Beth was born. Even in the "help Puck graduate" scene, I felt like Quinn was behaving almost robotically, like, "this is my good deed," not out of deep affection.

With all the talk about how Puck is the only guy Quinn is honest with and is her real self with him (personally, I feel like she's been most genuine with Santana, but ok, Santana's not a guy, whatever), I am trying to understand who the "real Quinn" is. I'm saying this sincerely, not to bash at all, because I actually am inclined to like Quinn and think that if written well she could have been fascinating, but it didn't seem to me that Quinn wasn't "being herself" with Biff because the one consistent thing about Quinn is that she is obsessed with image, status, and perfection. This makes sense given her family history, and Quinn has repeatedly reinvented herself to try to be that perfect girl again. But who is she if she is not those things? Where is the real Quinn? What does an everyday Quinn look like if she is not striving for status and perfection? I don't even think she knows. But I don't see her giving up on her brittle, closed off nature or her perfectionism, even if she's with someone she doesn't have to hide her past from, and running to Puck because he says he loves her just seemed like once again Quinn desperately clinging to a male figure who gives her the unconditional love her father didn't. And with Puck in the military, I feel like she'd just reinvent herself as the Picture Perfect Army Wife and Mother, and that is just a whole nother set of problems for all of them. Once the romance of "first love" and "I got the girl that got away, someone finally chose me" wears off, I don't see Puck handling Quinn's sniping at him -- and, imo, she is sure to do that, because Quinn doesn't really like Puck. She may feel bonded to him, may even love him, but on a day-to-day basis, she has never liked him or his dumb jokes or respected his interests.

Personally, I feel like if Quinn is ever going to "find herself," she needs to forget coupling up so young and like...go traveling the world. Go to France and India and hook up with cigarette smoking artists and pretentious new age hippie radicals (male and female) and just let loose. I honestly think the domestic life is not for her. And while I do not want Puck to end up back in Lima, I do think he's a family man through and through and will thrive with the wife and kids, that whole shebang. Quinn in that environment is like a death trap.

Edited by SNeaker, Mar 20, 2014 @ 11:19 AM.

McWhadden

McWhadden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 11:32 AM

I definitely do not believe for one second that Quinn ever loved anyone she dated in high school.

And all of her "real Quinn" "honest self" moments were with the girls. Santana calling her on her shit about using guys to define herself and them being on opposite scales of the bitch-goddess spectrum. Her talks with Rachel about not being just about what she looks like and fears she won't escape Lima. Her wondering why she isn't lovable with Santana and Britt (and her quietly saying she wasn't that into that and Santana not gay panicking and instead cuddling her showed more quiet intimicacy and knowledge about each other than anything between her and the guys). Being a homeless girl who is really lost with Mercedes.

Those people all got her. And she was frustrating and bitchy. But also smart, funny, loyal in her way. 

So being the only guy Quinn is herself around isn't such a big accomplishment with someone with her level of daddy issues.

The only way she was her "honest self" with Puck is she thought so little of him that she wasn't afraid to be a raging bitch to him. That doesn't count.  Yes, he saw that she was in a spiral in season 3. Weeks after she had first hatched a plot with him to steal a baby (which you know would have been a clue to someone else right off the bat).  He held her and then did nothing while Rachel is the one who stepped in.

I love Quinn and I like Puck but I definitely don't see them as a good match. I don't think they genuinely like each other as people.  Except he'll be out of the country a lot and Quinn definitely needs alone time. But she'll just use that time to cheat on him with all the other Air Force wives, probably.

Edited by McWhadden, Mar 20, 2014 @ 11:52 AM.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 11:34 AM

The only way she was her "honest self" with Puck is she thought so little of him that she wasn't afraid to be a raging bitch to him.

Heh. I was gonna say that but was trying to be nice.

McWhadden

McWhadden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 12:24 PM

"Love means never caring enough about your partner to say you're sorry." -Glee.

Edited by McWhadden, Mar 20, 2014 @ 1:04 PM.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

And with Puck in the military, I feel like she'd just reinvent herself as the Picture Perfect Army Wife and Mother, and that is just a whole nother set of problems for all of them

Let's be real: if Puck wasn't in the military and wearing that uniform there was no way Quinn would've even considered accepting his proposal.

And all of her "real Quinn" "honest self" moments were with the girls. Santana calling her on her shit about using guys to define herself and them being on opposite scales of the bitch-goddess spectrum. Her talks with Rachel about not being just about what she looks like and fears she won't escape Lima. Her wondering why she isn't lovable with Santana and Britt (and her quietly saying she wasn't that into that and Santana not gay panicking and instead cuddling her showed more quiet intimicacy and knowledge about each other than anything between her and the guys). Being a homeless girl who is really lost with Mercedes.

Those people all got her. And she was frustrating and bitchy. But also smart, funny, loyal in her way.

Yes to all of this.

I honestly think the domestic life is not for her.

Quinn is insane and miserable because she still insists on becoming the perfect woman she was supposed to be. I don't know who she would really be if she would just let herself be, but I have no doubt that she is not selfless and nurturing enough to be a happy mother and wife, not now and maybe not ever. I wish she would just finally understand that that's okay. I wish they would remember she's in Yale doing an acting degree, because maybe she would enjoy the artsy theater world or something.

Either way, I really hope at some point we get a snarky Santana throw away line letting us know that Puck and Quinn broke up, because there is just no way I would buy them as a long term couple. They just get swept up in the moment until they remember they don't even like each other.

McWhadden

McWhadden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

I don't think it is intentional. But I do sort of genuinely love that Quinn keeps forcing herself into these ultra-femme perfect woman roles but she is also a raging feminist (and always has been she was the one schooling Shue about wage gap inequality starting in high school and many other examples). Like, she wants to be what everyone wanted her to be but also being that makes her so fucking angry. And it drives her insane.

I think my favorite example of the contrast was when she first started dating Finn again in season 2 and she had that conversation with Rachel about how she and Finn would be Lima losers and Rachel would be a star. And it was so fatalistic and resigned on her part but she is also projecting all of these goals, aspirations, achievments onto Rachel. Perfect Quinn is in Lima forever and Feminist Quinn is plotting out a huge tragectory of success for Rachel and resenting it for her.

(There is nothing antifeminist about being a housewife or marrying a military man or being prom queen or anything. Of course not! But her reasons seem to be that is what her parents wanted and she is still trying to live up to it for some reason not from any pure desire.)

After her session with Santana was the most happy and at ease she has ever been. Not that that means she is gay but just doing something she wanted to do because she wanted to do it just looked really good on her.

Edited by McWhadden, Mar 20, 2014 @ 3:15 PM.

spiritof76

spiritof76

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

And with Puck in the military, I feel like she'd just reinvent herself as the Picture Perfect Army Wife and Mother, and that is just a whole nother set of problems for all of them.

I Agree this whole thing is nothing but a recipe for disaster. And you are right Quinn has never not been reinventing herself and searching and striving. As awful as it is, I can kind of see how she might convince herself that this Puck thing is real. With him in the military, if they really were to get married (and lets be real you know that's what RIB are aiming towards) Quinn would be in a very structured environment that is built on hierarchy and protocol and getting ahead, which is like her bread and butter. I can see her being the wife constantly trying to push Puck to move up the ranks. Go to officers school, get for the best assignments, preferably ones that let her live overseas. And as along as he was deployed she might even be able to convince herself she was happy. but kids I think would put her over the edge, because I don't think she truly wants to be a mother. And that's ok. But Quinn doesn't think it is ok. Like you said SNeaker domesticity is really not for Quinn, but she is convinced that it is her path to happiness, so she is going to go after it with whoever gives her the option. I almost think she is going to have to try it and see for herself to believe it. But then she is such a perfectionist and can't accept anything that looks like failure that even if the whole thing blew up, she would still hold on tight and try an make it work. And in the process she and Puck and whatever poor kids they have will be miserable and emotionally scarred.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 4:27 PM

Let's be real: if Puck wasn't in the military and wearing that uniform there was no way Quinn would've even considered accepting his proposal.

Absolute truth, and I knew this before the episode even aired.

Quinn is insane and miserable because she still insists on becoming the perfect woman she was supposed to be. I don't know who she would really be if she would just let herself be, but I have no doubt that she is not selfless and nurturing enough to be a happy mother and wife, not now and maybe not ever. I wish she would just finally understand that that's okay. I wish they would remember she's in Yale doing an acting degree, because maybe she would enjoy the artsy theater world or something.

I feel like modeling might be her thing. More plausible for her to break into than acting, and it would take her around the world to exotic locales. I think she'd be so happy doing that.

And yeah, when I say I don't think domesticity is for her, I don't mean that as an insult. It's not for everyone, and there's no shame in that. If the point is that Quinn needs to be free to be who she really is, then she'll only ever truly be happy if she accepts that about herself -- accepts that she's brittle and bitchy and can be funny and loyal -- and forges a different life without any of those expectations. And that can't happen if she's trying to be miss perfect wife for Puck. It's just going to make them both miserable.

Quinn would be in a very structured environment that is built on hierarchy and protocol and getting ahead, which is like her bread and butter. I can see her being the wife constantly trying to push Puck to move up the ranks. Go to officers school, get for the best assignments, preferably ones that let her live overseas.

Dear God.

But then she is such a perfectionist and can't accept anything that looks like failure that even if the whole thing blew up, she would still hold on tight and try an make it work.

All while determining to keep up appearances that everything is fine and wonderful and perfect. It's a vicious cycle in her family. Is Puck the person who can calm her down, and say "Not everything has to be perfect, CHILL, BABY?" Maybe. For a while. But he's never been that good at calming her crazy in the past (even after their snuggle session, she was still crazy until Rachel got through to her), why should that start now?

Edited by SNeaker, Mar 20, 2014 @ 4:30 PM.

spiritof76

spiritof76

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 4:44 PM

why should that start now?

It wouldn't. At all. Puck would probably have to leave her in order for her to admit the whole thing was a mistake. But here's the thing. He's working with some vicious family cycles too. Even if she made him miserable, and she would eventually, Puck is so desperate not to be his dad, I don't think he would ever walk out on his family once he has one.And granted getting a divorce doesn't mean one is leaving there family and is a deadbeat, but I think the way Puck thinks, that is how he would see it. God the more I think about it the more screwed up I realize the two of them are. Both Quinn and Puck are two very damaged people trying to fix their childhood hurts by doing very adult, permanent things.

It almost in a very twisted way makes sense I guess. And if that were the story the show was actually trying to show (that these two emotionaly scarred indivuduals are clinging to each other out of fear and confusion), than I could almost be on board. BUT, that is not what they are trying to sell. They are trying to tell me that this is a perfectly healthy and happy relationship and that Quinn actually likes Puck and wants to be with him. They want me to believe that the answer to all of Quinn's problems is guy she has barely restrained contempt for.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 5:11 PM

Quinn and Puck are destined to be like that couple in "Revolutionary Road." I guarantee it.

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 5:49 PM

I think, more than the uniform (although that makes sense), it was Puck's manipulative blackmail/ultimatum.

I think Quinn could be a wife and a mom, just not a stay at home one.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 6:21 PM

But here's the thing. He's working with some vicious family cycles too. Even if she made him miserable, and she would eventually, Puck is so desperate not to be his dad, I don't think he would ever walk out on his family once he has one.And granted getting a divorce doesn't mean one is leaving there family and is a deadbeat, but I think the way Puck thinks, that is how he would see it. God the more I think about it the more screwed up I realize the two of them are. Both Quinn and Puck are two very damaged people trying to fix their childhood hurts by doing very adult, permanent things.

Chills. This is so spot on. Eek.

Quinn and Puck are destined to be like that couple in "Revolutionary Road." I guarantee it.

That's worst case scenario. Best case is Will and Terri.

Edited by SNeaker, Mar 20, 2014 @ 6:23 PM.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 6:51 PM

Chills. This is so spot on. Eek.

That's worst case scenario. Best case is Will and Terri.

I feel like Will and Terri should've served as a cautionary tale. Instead every single main character(except Will oddly enough) is going to end up with someone they dated in high school.

I think Quinn and Puck might be the most unhealthy endgame relationship on the show, and that really says something.

spiritof76

spiritof76

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 9:08 PM

First of all love this movie. Love! And yes, yes, that is the worst case scenario. And again, I would be on board with seeing that story if they were being honest that, that is what it was. But no. They are selling this as happy and healthy. Sigh.........

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 9:46 PM

Instead every single main character(except Will oddly enough) is going to end up with someone they dated in high school.

Also Tina and Mike...the one pair that should've stayed together.

spiritof76

spiritof76

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 10:34 PM

Also Tina and Mike...the one pair that should've stayed together.

Good point. They are the ones I buy being that couple. Because before they made Tina crazy they were actually one of the more mature,grounded couples. Some people do end up with high school sweethearts. It does happen. But it is rare. Tina and Mike though would have fit the bill.

But Quinn and Puck aren't even high school sweethearts. She never even really dated him that I recall. You could call her and Finn high school sweethearts and even she and Sam. Lauren and Puck were high school sweethearts (well not so sweet. LOL!) But she and Puck had a series of encounters and weird hostile moments that in no way add up to a relationship of any kind. So it isn't even like she is trying t get something back, because they is nothing to get back. They never had anything. Unless they are going with the "We should have given it a real try before". Which no. No you shouldn't have. 

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 8:37 PM

I think Quinn was early on in love with the idea of loving Finn ("Can we just be in love again?"), and for a brief time, she tried to will herself into loving Sam.  But she's a real clear example of "You can't really love anyone until you love yourself".  Except for the fact that it is so out of her range, Let It Go would be the perfect song to end Quinn's arc on Glee.  (Hmm, maybe in Quinn's last experience, Rachel can sing it to her?)  

I think there was one early moment where Quinn and Puck seemed to connect and genuinely have fun with each other.  But overall, Quinn was always the one girl that Puck really treated like crap, not that Quinn was an innocent victim either.  He's matured quite a bit since then, but Quinn's brand of crazy is a little more volatile than, say, Rachel's.