Meet with the Faculty Adviser: Questions for the Mod/Recappers

• Please log in to reply

698 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

It looks as if that’s been fixed. Here’s the recap.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Is there a place we can discuss the deleted scenes being released? People have been posting the links in the Media thread, but that's no discussion.
Not sure if those scenes are considered canon enough to be talked about in character threads or if it's worth it to go back to episode threads.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 10, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I do want to keep the Media thread discussion-free for now. However, I think it's fine to discuss them either in the episode thread they were cut from (if you want to discuss how they would have fit into the episode) or the character threads (if you want to focus on how the missing scenes would have affected a particular character). Thanks.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Just a couple of maintenance notes: I have decided to experiment and allow light discussion in the Media thread. The proviso is that any character discussion or speculation based on an article should be moved from the Media thread to the appropriate thread once if you have more than a line or two to say about.

If (and that is a very big if) that goes well, I will consider allowing discussion in the spoiler thread as well. If the Media thread remains relatively maintenance-free, I'll be able to open the Spoiler thread up to discussion. If I have to intervene in the Media thread often, that will take up time, so I won't have time to spare for moderating the Spoiler thread, so it will stay links only.

I will continue to start episode threads, but if I forget, or if it doesn't open on time, feel free to start one. I can pin the thread later. As for character or other threads, feel free to start them on your own. If I think they're too general, or duplicate a discussion in another thread, I may shut them down, but don't let that stop you from starting one, because I won't be warning anyone for that. Just use the format Thread Title: Snarky Tag. If you can't think of a snarky tag, you don't have to add one.

Any questions about thread rules or site rules can go here. Thanks!

shannon201

shannon201

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Can I suggest what some other show forums have done in having "Spoilers (No Discussion)" and "Spoiler Discussion" threads? Would that help the issue or further muddle it?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

We're not to that point yet. I want to see how the Media thread goes first. Thank you for the suggestion, though—I'll keep it in mind.

BigDestiny

BigDestiny

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I'm hoping to get people to join me in not watching the next episode. But my reasoning comes down to what isn't in that episode (spoilers). Is there a place for this? Or should I stick with the other sites I post on.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

No, best to stick with other sites. We don't allow fan campaigns here. Thanks for checking, though.

Aque67

Aque67

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Is it possible to request that the Dynamic Duets episode thread be used to discuss the episode? The past several pages have been primarily a debate about the ratings for Glee, including commentary by posters who haven't even (by their own admission) watched the episode.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

Is there a thread for all encompassing series discussion? Dynamic Duets was the first episode I saw since around mid season one,and I'm going back through the series from the beginning on Netflix, and I get the feeling that bumping years old episode threads to give my thoughts wouldn't exactly be well received.

ladylavender

ladylavender

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Is there a way to keep the ratings discussion in the ratings thread? Its really difficult trying to track two ratings conversations at once, plus its derailing discussion in the episode thread & making it very difficult to follow.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

I think the ratings discussion has already self-corrected to the ratings thread. There has been no further discussion of it in the last two pages of the episode thread.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Sorry I wasn't around much this weekend, but life got in the way. I'm glad the thread righted itself. Just to clarify, though, I don't see any reason to post or discuss any ratings information in the episode thread. For one, we have a thread for that. Secondly, discussion of the ratings for a particular episode isn't about the episode as much as it is about how you think the audience reacted to it. In other words, it doesn't add any insight to the discussion of the events of the episode. Thanks.

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Fox.com has a very detailed survey asking for input about Glee, I wasn't sure where the best place to post the link would be. (If you go to the fox.com website and scroll to the bottom right, click on "Fox viewer panel" to register and you can take the survey.)

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

I took it! It asks some really involved questions on favorite characters and plot lines, as well as plot-lines and characters you dislike. I encourage everyone to take it.

swampy

swampy

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Fox.com has a very detailed survey asking for input about Glee, I wasn't sure where the best place to post the link would be. (If you go to the fox.com website and scroll to the bottom right, click on "Fox viewer panel" to register and you can take the survey.)

I took it! It asks some really involved questions on favorite characters and plot lines, as well as plot-lines and characters you dislike. I encourage everyone to take it.

Just went to take it, and it looks like it's no longer available. Damn.

Edited by swampy, Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:47 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I'm late to the party, too. Just for future reference, the link could have gone in the Media thread, but given how short the link was live, this was fine.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

I saw it posted in some LJ communities. I wonder if FOX got slammed with people taking it.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

I wonder if FOX got slammed with people taking it.

Yes. And I dread to think of the sort of feedback they received from Livejournal and Tumblr.

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Demian, I'd originally seen it posted on Tumblr, so I'm sure there were some uh, enthusiastic, responses.

GiltyPleasure

GiltyPleasure

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

I'm not a regular commenter on the boards, but I'm a regular reader of the recaps. I wanted to post a request to please use Joe's name instead of the cumbersome, overly long, tired nickname you've been using the past season and a half. It's not really funny anymore. While I know what the name of the site is, and I come here specifically for the snark, I have to admit I'm getting tired of the complete abject hatred Demian has for this show. There is a lot to criticize and snark on, I agree, but I'm tired of never hearing one positive thing in a recap. And it seems as if every recap includes a few instances of "this was so boring/I hated this so much I refuse to recap it." Sounds like it's time to assign the show to someone else.

VirgoTaurus

VirgoTaurus

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

Sounds like it's time to assign the show to someone else.

It's the same snark and hate he's been using for four seasons, I doubt they'd pull him at this point.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

That's just how Demian's humor comes across even on shows he seems to like.

Read some of his late series Charmed recaps. Now there was some vitriol like you've never seen.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Please use this thread as a place to ask questions about the recap or about forum rules, not to complain about the recaps or to request that the recappers write about the show that way you want them to. We wouldn't allow you to tell another poster how to write about the show in this forum, and recappers are posters here and deserve the same respect. Demian and the other recappers include contact information at the end of each recap, and any complaints you have should be sent in a private fashion via that contact information.

Also, recaps abound on the internet. While I'd certainly prefer that you read ours and generate traffic for the site, you may be able to find recaps that better suit your views of the show elsewhere. That doesn't mean you have to stop posting here; just that our recappers write about the show as they see it, rather than as they think other viewers want to see it.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

zostar59

zostar59

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

We wouldn't allow you to tell another poster how to write about the show in this forum, and recappers are posters here and deserve the same respect.

Howard, fair enough.

So my assumption is that I can talk about a character in my Glee posts in the same manner a recapper can talk about a character in their recaps. Would that be accurate?

Edited by zostar59, Dec 8, 2012 @ 9:00 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Almost, but not entirely. There aren't any rules to govern what a recapper writes in a recap. Posters, on the other hand, have to follow site rules such as not writing their opinions as fact, and not being repetitive. They can be as harsh about the characters/actors as they like as long as they don't harp on the same thing repetitively or come across as trolling.

DixieChick

DixieChick

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

Read some of his late series Charmed recaps. Now there was some vitriol like you've never seen.

Oh my God, I just have to say, those were EPIC. I remember reading those in study hall and trying not to get caught snickering my butt off. Demian, if you're reading this, a tip of the hat.

zostar59

zostar59

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

Howard , on the one hand we are told not to comment on recappers summaries and that if we don't like a recappers POV we are not obligated to read them. Yet on the threads posters will deliberately post excerpts of pointed recappers commentary if it reinforces what they agree with. So it seems like others are obligated to read something they can't object or disagree with, even if the excerpt has a very strong personal opinion and POV. I thought any recappers commentary should not be discussed, otherwise it just seems a way to have a convenient one-sided protected editorial on the discussion boards. I thought the recap is separate from the discussion board as far as subjects/content to agree or disagree with. Thanks in advance.

Edited by zostar59, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:08 AM.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

Intriguing point of order in the previous post Howard. I tried to locate a rule or message that forbids quoting from recaps but I may not have looked in the correct place.

I reacted to a comment from someone quoting from the recap this morning and I did not feel that the poster was abusing the rules at the time. It certainly would be useful of you to clarifiy whether recaps are totaly off-limits, if the present situation of occasional and reasonable quotes is acceptable, or if strip-mining the contents of recaps to fuel discussions is allowed (I am pretty sure that last option is one that has a very good chance of being excluded).

Edited by MGaboriau, Jan 31, 2013 @ 2:08 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

The 15/15 rule "forces" all of us to read things we don't agree with, whether it"s a quote from the recap or from another poster, so that feeling is something you'll have to deal with on your own. Recappers are considered posters here, and need to be treated with the same rules we have here for treating each other with respect. So quoting from the recap in order to make your own point about the show, whether agreeing or disagreeing is fine. Unfortunately, most people who quote from a recap to disagree with it forget about site rules, and use it as a chance to argue with the recapper or to be dismissive, and that's not okay. The result is a post that says something such as "And here I thought I was bitter," or "the recap really has it in for Character A." I wouldn't allow remarks like that to stand about any other poster, so I'm not going to let them stand about the recap, either. Same thing applies from quoting from the recap to only say, "I agree" or "So funny." Those kinds of posts aren't adding to the conversation. The recappers contact information is available at the end of every recap and that's how you should contact them if you want to tell them you enjoyed the recap or didn't.

Short version:
  • The thread is here to discuss the episode, not the recap
  • The site rules apply whether you're quoting to respond to a point made in another post or in the recap.
I hope that provides some help.