The Songs and Voices of Glee

• Please log in to reply

7401 replies to this topic

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 2:29 AM

A place to discuss... well... I think we can all figure this one out!

[Since, at the very least, the titles of upcoming songs seem to leak like crazy, we'll probably need some TWoP mod advise though on when and how to use Spoiler tags, if a song we're discussing hasn't aired yet. My instinct, until we're told otherwise though, is that song information is probably a lot less "sensitive" than plot or casting info...]

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

Songlist for first soundtrack spoilers

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 11:45 AM

Songs are like guest stars - you know they're going to appear, but you may not know in what capacity or how. I'm OK with discussing "upcoming songs" here in a non-spoiler manner.

(This is all, of course, subject to change as we go along.)

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 4:15 AM

Songs are like guest stars - you know they're going to appear, but you may not know in what capacity or how. I'm OK with discussing "upcoming songs" here in a non-spoiler manner.

Wouldn't knowing that the songs are going to appear make it a spoiler? (The previous question is based on my experience with location spoilers in TAR, because they are, like, totally interchangeable. Why are you giving me that look?)

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 11:18 AM

I wouldn't think so. I mean, just because we know "Gold Digger" appears in an episode doesn't mean we know how it's going to be used or in what context. Again, this is subject to change as we go along if necessary.

Joe M.

Joe M.

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 1:21 PM

I try to ignore spoilers but I couldn't help it; I clicked on the song list, and... I think I just pooped a little.

Is there something higher than "greatest TV show of all time?" That's the highest you can go for a TV show, right? Because I feel like we may need to come up with something even more than that for "Glee."

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 2:37 PM

I wouldn't think so. I mean, just because we know "Gold Digger" appears in an episode doesn't mean we know how it's going to be used or in what context. Again, this is subject to change as we go along if necessary.

Besides, disclosing the upcoming songs (even if its occasionally through leaks) seems to be part of the show's intentional promotion. It's part of the machine driving the fandom. They appear to WANT us to know what the songs are going to be. If they want us to know this info, it seems to fall into the same "space" as promo commercials or press releases.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 3:30 PM

They have "Can't fight this Feeling" on itunes now, and have to say I'm not feeling it. They did a lot of work to make it sound better.

It sure doesn't compare to On my Own which has little to no tweaking.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

Yeah, but to be honest, I'm not surprised. It's no secret at this point that Cory has zero previous experience as a singer (and that Finn's not supposed to, either), so it works for me. It also doesn't help though that the arrangement basically makes it sound like karaoke rather than the "reimagining" the other songs are (minus "On My Own" which was really just designed to show off Lea's vocals - it might as well have been a capella). I still love the natural sound of his voice, though. I find it rather soothing. I'll probably be listening to this one just as much as "On My Own" for that reason alone.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 3:57 PM

I'm not surprised.

Nor am I. They're Auto-Tuning the hell out of his vocals on everything he sings.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 4:29 PM

I wasn't surprised it was tweaked just that is seemed so much more tweaked than on the show.

I think it is a bit amazing that they cast him with no singing experience, so I do give him props for the work he has done.

I won't down load that one but I won't skip it if I get the sound track either.

SydinSacramento

SydinSacramento

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 9:58 PM

While I agree with everything that has been said, let's just point out that Cory Monteith is no Pierce Brosnan and be grateful for that.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 1:19 AM

Oh, thank Christ for that, indeed.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

Well, thanks for that nightmare.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 8:37 PM

I wasn't surprised it was tweaked just that is seemed so much more tweaked than on the show.

I was really surprised at how obvious the Auto-Tuning was on the song when I downloaded it from iTunes. I felt like his singing on the show was good enough, and didn't sound nearly so altered. Maybe what sounded good in the shower when he was dancing around naked didn't sound as good in an isolated recording. But I hope they don't do that much.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 9:24 PM

Maybe what sounded good in the shower when he was dancing around naked didn't sound as good in an isolated recording.

Isn't that always the way, though? Distract you with nudity so you don't realise how bad the song is? (I think I may have finally actually realised the problem with modern music.)

Rant

Rant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 10:35 PM

I wondered if they were trying to give a nod to the original recording, making Cory sound a little more eighties or something. Which is disappointing because, like LTG, I liked the version he did in the pilot so much better. All this auto-tuning will just make people think that Cory's voice isn't as strong as I suspect it is.

yoyosma

yoyosma

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 12:46 AM

let's just point out that Cory Monteith is no Pierce Brosnan and be grateful for that.

I have this visual of PB shouting at me while resting his head against a stone wall.....

CM isnt so bad, obviously he isnt professional, but he sounds good when he smiles and sings with Rachel.

sixesses

sixesses

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 6:20 PM

I went to youtube and found various versions of Rehab by Amy Winehouse, including live on Letterman. Only this show could get me to listen to Amy Winehouse.

mrhooks

mrhooks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 7:28 PM

No "Rehab" on the soundtrack? I want a CD-quality version. I hope it's a hidden track.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 12:47 AM

"Take A Bow" and "Push It" from episode 2 are now available on iTunes.

"Push It" is best with visuals, but Rachel's version of "Take a Bow" caught me off-guard when I saw the episode. Mainly because I don't like the original AT ALL, but I kinda liked her version a little bit, even though it doesn't sound all that different from the original. Maybe it's just Rihanna's voice that I don't much care for - I certainly prefer Lea's at any rate, even if I think I do hear a little tweaking this time around. And since Lea's one of the most-trained singers on the show, I'm pretty sure we're just gonna have to get used to hearing tweaking in our Glee studio recordings.

Edited by flickchick85, Sep 8, 2009 @ 12:54 AM.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 9:11 AM

Man, Australian iTunes still doesn't have On My Own or Golddigger! So not fair!

Rant

Rant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 10:14 AM

Loving Push It, as I have since I saw it. I'm not sure about Take a Bow, probably since I saw the video a couple of days ago and I think Rihanna's got a great hold on that song. I'll probably like Lea's cover a lot more after I see it on the screen and have a visual to connect it to.

starriepie

starriepie

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 9:56 PM

Since you guys are just that good and it's bugging me that much I have to ask: does anyone know what the little tinkly piano song is that's played in the quieter moments? It sounds so familiar but I can't place it.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

Since you guys are just that good and it's bugging me that much I have to ask: does anyone know what the little tinkly piano song is that's played in the quieter moments? It sounds so familiar but I can't place it.

I believe it's "Looking Back" by Kerry Muzzey.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:16 PM

After one little throwaway line, I'm waiting with bated breath for them to do 99 Red Balloons.

BigBeans

BigBeans

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 1:54 AM

Songlist for first soundtrack spoilers

Oh, yay! Defying Gravity! Man, they have some rockin' songs coming up. I can't wait!

Lolligagger

Lolligagger

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 6:34 AM

When the principal said all the songs had a circus theme, the first thing that popped to mind is, "You KNOW they're going to sing Send in the Clowns at some point."

Defying Gravity...so much win!

Edited by Lolligagger, Sep 10, 2009 @ 6:35 AM.

LuckyOnes

LuckyOnes

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:16 AM

I am kinda iffy and at the same time fascinated if in that soundtrack it is indeed Heart's Alone. I love that song so much that I just wish they'd do a good job on it and give it justice. I don't want it ruined and gets stuck on my head. But hopefully it's going to be delicious and modernized (without the auto-tuning stuff, of course).

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:28 AM

Alone - I believe it is Arvil Lavigne

I guess we all need to get use to the auto-tune for the first 13 epsiodes - if they get the back 9 maybe they will change it.

Edited by redbirds, Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:29 AM.