Rachel Berry: She's Talented, You Know

• Please log in to reply

11588 replies to this topic

falulatonks

falulatonks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:38 AM

and don't know how to write the background that would have created her.

I feel like they don't know what to do with this (awesome) character herself, actually, let alone her background. I do wish we know more about how she is what she is, but considering she's a lead, they seem to be fumbling with giving her more dimension. They keep giving her love-life-related storylines, and while I love her with Jesse and all, and I understand that the underlying emotion is that she feels lonely, what else are we getting from her? It's repetitive and totally unfair to her, I think.

I think Lea could play anything she's given, and I think Rachel could be so much more interesting if the focus is more on other aspects of her life. As it is, I adore Rachel, but I'm tired of seeing her being relegated to one-note storylines and being hated on by the people who watch the show for those reasons.

schmolioot

schmolioot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:43 AM

What Rachel really needs is a friend, a buddy, that is not a boy she falls head over heels in love with.

Rachel is grating not just because she's career driven, etc., but because at the end of the day, she just seems silly. She is over the moon for a guy the minute they show any attention whatsoever and it's just silly, there is no other way I can describe it.

I don't know who the friend will end up being, but it needs to happen.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

They keep giving her love-life-related storylines, and while I love her with Jesse and all, and I understand that the underlying emotion is that she feels lonely, what else are we getting from her? It's repetitive and totally unfair to her, I think.

This is my problem with the character at the moment and why I can't feel Rachel as the emotional center of this show. Maybe she was in the first couple of episodes, but the writers seemed to have forgotten that Rachel Berry needs to read like a real person onscreen, which means having character development other than who she's trying to smooch. We've seen Will's family background, Kurt's, Puck's Quinn's, Finn's, and yet none of Rachel's and she's supposed to be the female lead! Supporting characters (Kurt, Quinn, Puck) have gotten more fleshed out while she remains stagnant. That's a problem. We keep seeing the same storylines play out for her and I can only feel empathetic towards her for so long before my thought is, "You go through this every single week. Deal with it and move on." That sucks because I love early Rachel. They just have no clue what to do with her besides making her a punchline for other characters at this point.

slanderous

slanderous

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:29 AM

It's like the show has already hit Ugly Betty's problem in the second and third seasons. I don't want to not like Rachel, but if all her drama as the nominal female lead is about her love life and choosing between boys who sometimes inexplicably fall for her, it becomes excruciatingly tedious. For instance, it would be nice to follow-up on all her training to become a star -- and why and how it hasn't happened yet. (See Kurt asking if she'd ever landed a role in community theater, to which she had no answer, or her comment about the baby pageant circuit.) I can't believe we haven't seen anything about her relationship to her dads. Meanwhile, as with Ugly Betty, I find myself gravitating toward the secondary characters who are much more interesting to be with.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

That sucks because I love early Rachel.

I want some more glimpses of the girl who got Sandy fired, then tried to get him kicked off Caberet after that (I still can't believe we missed the awesomeness of Rachel/Sandy singing "Money Money"), more, of her getting auditions etc. I do have some hope since I've seen spoilers saying she gets laryngitis and something about her dealing with a lifelong issue which sounds a lot better than her moping about boys.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

I want some more glimpses of the girl who got Sandy fired, then tried to get him kicked off Caberet after that (I still can't believe we missed the awesomeness of Rachel/Sandy singing "Money Money"), more, of her getting auditions etc.

This is all I want, too. It's nice that she's learned to be a team player on all that, but I'm having a hard time believing that on her own time she's not still trying to get her big break into the business. I'd be way more interested in seeing how something like that would play out than this whole Finn/Jesse situation.

keelg

keelg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

Besides some back story and Rachel and her dads (a shame they haven't fix this yet) she needs to scheme for the glee club some more.

You think her fathers would have at least questions why she has a differnt boy in her room every week.

The Sarcaster

The Sarcaster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:14 PM

I want some more glimpses of the girl who got Sandy fired, then tried to get him kicked off Caberet after that

Now now. Sandy got himself fired. Rachel only brought his abuse to light and any benefit Rachel got from that was, uh, inadvertant. Same with Caberet. He was abusive to her and tried to steal her role (which is really for the students, right?).

schmolioot

schmolioot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:17 PM

Yeah, Rachel suddenly has a different boy every night but no friends. I would think that would look strange to her parents.

Seriously, does Rachel have any friends? I don't think she does, outside of the boy she is currently dating. Very starnge charachter.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:22 PM

Finn considers himself to be a friend to Rachel but it appears he wants more.

I also think Artie, Kurt, Tina, and Mercedes are warming up to her.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:30 PM

Sandy got himself fired. Rachel only brought his abuse to light and any benefit Rachel got from that was, uh, inadvertant.

Of course, she was only doing her civil duty. But I have to say that scene was glorious. The storming down the hallway with the buzzing accompniment, followed by the patented "Rachel Berry crying on demand"? So much genius. Made me a fan.

Edited by dippychik, Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:32 PM.

Bchick

Bchick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

Have I missed this tidbit having been posted already?: http://www.intouchwe...ele_matt_mo.php

I also think Artie, Kurt, Tina, and Mercedes are warming up to her.

I'd say ATM are warming up but not so much K, IMO.

Edited by Bchick, Apr 28, 2010 @ 3:04 PM.

mstms

mstms

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 3:28 PM

http://www.intouchwe...ele_matt_mo.php

Lol, I want to believe!

keelg

keelg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

I have a feeling the Broadway community is just one hook up after the other.

See I think Rachel would be an excellent friend. Sure she talks too much but if you just say Rachel enough she would stop and check herself.

I have a friend who use 100 words when he could use 10. I just smile, reiterate his point in 10words and get , say see look at all the time I conserved.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 3:56 PM

Hee! I almost hope that's true just for the funny of her then having to crush on him and sing "Endless Love" with him. I know she dated JLY for a while, amn she really does have a thing for the teachers ;)

Edit: Lea in the ASOS magazine. Love the cover pic.

Edited by dippychik, Apr 28, 2010 @ 5:11 PM.

123what

123what

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

Love the whole photo shoot and the BTS video too.

She has a silver ring on that looks like Mickey Mouse ears.

Edited by 123what, Apr 28, 2010 @ 8:46 PM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:15 PM

I missed Rachel this last episode. That thing about her hooking up with Matt is hilarious.

I'm really beginning to judge the show for not showing Rachel's home life, however.

I suspect they are saving it for some big moment, but yeah, I would like to see a little more. Rachel needs a good gf, and instead of Rachel/Quinn we get Quinn/Mercedes? WTF, show?

burntoemerge

burntoemerge

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Rachel would be an amazing friend. Yes, she can be abrasive, and if you don't have the same musical passions as her, you're shit out of luck, but she is loyal and determined and ridiculously supportive and empathetic.

I don't think we can say if Artie & Tina are warming up to her; the show doesn't focus on their relationship with Rachel except as part of the "Greek Chorus", or cute moments in musical numbers. Mercedes is definitely warming up to Rachel; Kurt, I also need more data. In the beginning of "Hell-O", he was arm-in-arm with her, but then there was the confrontation scene. I don't think the confrontation scene was a sign of any hatred for her, but we haven't really seen them interact since.

Like almost everyone else, I want some Quinn & Rachel interaction. In fact, I'd like to see them team up to go up against an antagonist- Sue? Jesse?- as Rachel did in the Pilot, with Sandy, and Quinn did with Sue in "Mattress". In fact, throw Santana in there and you've got the HBIC trifecta.

Edited by burntoemerge, Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:32 PM.

mstms

mstms

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

Rachel needs a good gf, and instead of Rachel/Quinn we get Quinn/Mercedes? WTF, show?

I fucking know, right? I was rolling my eyes so hard at that scene. I know Quinn/Rachel are supposed to be enemies but at least they've talked before, and it was A LOT more organic than this.

123what

123what

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:35 PM

It wasn't real big dig, but Kurt did have to mention Rachel and her "desire"
to be Beyonce and Jay Z. Which back fired cause I think Rachel liked the comparison. He just can't help putting in a dig to Rachel. It was wasn't really anything in comparison, but as usual this show they drop ideas left and right. Just last week Kurt said they need to respect each other and not just for their talent.

Little annoyed that people think folks didn't like the episode are only those who like Rachel.. I smell denial. I wish that was the only problem with this episode. I actually liked watching what is Rachel doing in the background.

Rachel needs a friend and we need to see Rachel's home life. Well at least more than her bedroom.

Edited by 123what, Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:39 PM.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

I know I'm all alone in my HATE Quinn cheap seats, but a R/Q friendship is something I just do not want to see. AT. ALL. I want them to remain antagonistic towards each other. I have no problem with Quinn's weird hatred/fixation on Rachel, my only quibble is that I want Rachel to give back just as good as she gets. I wouldn't mind them teaming up every now and then against Sue or somebody, but even then I would want them to acknowledge any joint collaboration between them a necessary evil. The two of them are smart girls, they could really wreck shit if they put their minds together. But them as besties? Ugh. Do not want!

burntoemerge

burntoemerge

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

Little annoyed that people think folks didn't like the episode are only those who like Rachel.. I smell denial.

I completely understand hatred of this last episode... but when so many comments on the episode thread contained phrases akin to "This is what happens when Rachel isn't in an episode", can you really blame people for thinking that?

Hmmm. I don't need Quinn and Rachel as besties, either, although I wouldn't hate it. I do need them as allies.

My favorite Rachel moment in "Home" (and it's hard to choose, for such a Rachel lite episode) was the way she looked around warily at "who thinks they have too many zits and too little friends", clearly wanting to raise her hand, but too shy/wary.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 10:46 PM

I think Quinn and Rachel not getting along can be broken down into the following theories:

1. Quinn doesn't like geeks or unpopular kids or Rachel did something to Quinn that made her an enemy, probably something small but you know how teens can get.

2. Quinn has feelings for Rachel but being very conservative can't act on them and so torments Rachel to suppress then.

I don't see the writers going down reason # 2 as that would be a little strange (those two together not the being gay part)

I think we will see it has do with reason # 1 and we may see both characters evolving where they can become friends, maybe not BFF's but friends.

mstms

mstms

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

I completely understand hatred of this last episode... but when so many comments on the episode thread contained phrases akin to "This is what happens when Rachel isn't in an episode", can you really blame people for thinking that?

This is how I see it, to me Home was not the worst ep Glee ever produced, Acafellas, Hairography and mainly Wheels are still worse. But, the ep was so. damn. boring, and those three AT LEAST have a Rachel storyline that makes a rewatch worth it. Home would be bad even if Rachel had had a storyline, but then it wouldnt be a total waste time, you know?

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

That thing about her hooking up with Matt is hilarious.

I know! Get it Lea!

Then again I think Matt is just someone who loves the ladies. I'm still convinced that him and Diana have something going on.

I doubt its true but it would be hysterical.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

Then again I think Matt is just someone who loves the ladies. I'm still convinced that him and Diana have something going on.

Based on what?

I know this may be shallow but if we could see Rachel more times like she was after the makeover in Hairography that would be great.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:41 PM

Based on what?

He's very well known for it from his Broadway days. It also mentions in the article that his fiancee called off the marriage because 'Matthew thinks monogomy is a type of tree'

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:50 PM

Guys, I know there some of you that love love love love love Rachel.

Guys, I know there some of you that hate hate hate hate hate Rachel.

If you can't reasonably get along with the other side, this is not the thread for you. Keep the love/hate to a dull roar, please.

And, for heaven's sake... please don't go the "woe is me, I'm the only Rachel lover/hater in the village" route. The pity party bus don't stop here.

Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jan 9, 2011 @ 12:02 PM.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:43 AM

but a R/Q friendship is something I just do not want to see. AT. ALL. I want them to remain antagonistic towards each other.

I don't hate Quinn but I'd rather not see them as friends as such since Quinn seems to have a particular dislike (or perhaps too much like) for Rachel. It would take an even bigger flip flop than the character does at the moment for me to see her suddenly decide to be BFF with Rachel. That said, I probably wouldn't mind if Mr Shue or someone paired them up for a project where they can both be bitches to each other, that would be entertaining.

Little annoyed that people think folks didn't like the episode are only those who like Rachel

I was actually happy enough with a Rachel light episode, she can't do everything, I just think the episode lacked any sense of fun and was painfully earnest and message heavy.

Edited by dippychik, Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:46 AM.

burntoemerge

burntoemerge

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:09 AM

This is how I see it, to me Home was not the worst ep Glee ever produced, Acafellas, Hairography and mainly Wheels are still worse. But, the ep was so. damn. boring, and those three AT LEAST have a Rachel storyline that makes a rewatch worth it. Home would be bad even if Rachel had had a storyline, but then it wouldnt be a total waste time, you know?

That makes sense. See, to me, the April/Will story line was the only one that truly bored me. The Mercedes and Sue plot was okay, and the Kurt and Finn one fascinated me. But this episode was more low-key, and it did need a little more life to it.

Hey! We were just talking about Rachel's home life. Clearly what this episode needed was a Rachel story line involving her two dads. Clearly. And some "where is Quinn living", but that's for another thread.