Rachel Berry: She's Talented, You Know

• Please log in to reply

11588 replies to this topic

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 12:03 AM

Rachel is all ego, an fantastic little fireball of a starlet. She is spectacularly talented but utterly tone deaf to how she comes across to people. That is where her charm lies.

Thoughts about Rachel?

Lea's twitter

Rachel Berry's twitter

Edited by redbirds, Sep 2, 2009 @ 8:55 AM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 1:45 AM

Thoughts about Rachel?

She looks an awful lot like that girl from Spring Awakening! Poor Rachel must be dead tired of people confusing the two of them!

Do I get a Gold Star next to my name for that one?

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 2:31 AM

Do I get a Gold Star next to my name for that one?

No. (redbirds, was "tone-deaf" a deliberate pun? If so, you get the Gold Star I'm not giving to Snark Shark.)

I don't know about Rachel. I want to like her, but there's just something about her that just makes me not.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 8:52 AM

Give the gold star to Snark Snark, I stole that from one of the Glee writers.

I love Rachel, so self absorbed but doesn't even know it.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 3:42 AM

Nah, I only give out gold stars when something is so ridiculously fucking awesome that to not give them out would be a travesty. That was really closer to "5% Copper Alloy Star" material.

Still not sure about Rachel.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 9:21 PM

She reminds me of the girl from high school who was pretty enough to get into the popular crowd, but had such bad social skills because she was so focused on art that no one could stand her.

CheshrKat

CheshrKat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

I know it's only been one episode, but I absolutely adore Rachel, self-absorbed lack of social skills notwithstanding. She's this unbelievable combination of Tracy Flick and Cordelia Chase, but with Idina Menzel/Kristin Chenowith pipes on her. I think she's fabulous.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

That's the thing. She's got a kind of er... backwards charm.

She's totally inept socially, but at least from the sidelines looking on, its totally entertaining. She might possibly be horrible to deal with one-on-one, but as a spectator you can't help but laugh, I bet.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 11:41 PM

Plus she can do a major sad face and she wants to be liked she just doesn't seem to have the know how.

While Rachel insists her MySpace duties leave no time for dating, the hapless sophomore isn’t blind to the cruel comments posted on her page (e.g. “Please get sterilized”) and bullying assaults in high school corridors. Rachel’s drive may seem maniacal, but she uses show tunes to drown out the voices that remind her she’s an outcast.

article with some insight on Rachel

Edited by redbirds, Sep 2, 2009 @ 11:45 PM.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 6:52 AM

I love Rachel, as clueless as she is. You just know that when she eventually develops some self-awareness, she's going to be fabulous.

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

I love this character, she's a social outcast that has the ego of a popular kid. That's not something you see to often with tv characters. I'd probably hate someone like her in real life but watching her on tv should be entertaining.

I've only watched her singing on Youtube vids, she has an amazing voice. So I woud imagine with a voice like that her fathers would be telling her she's special.

Edited by Coconut, Sep 4, 2009 @ 2:39 PM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 2:25 PM

Anyone else think she looks like a mini-Idina Menzel?

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

Anyone else think she looks like a mini-Idina Menzel?

That's who they should cast if they ever want to show Rachel's mother. As for the age, they could just say she was young struggling singer that needed the money. It's less possible for this season since Idina Menzel just had a baby, so a season 2 storyline could work.

Edited by Coconut, Sep 4, 2009 @ 2:40 PM.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

Personally I don't think they really look a like. But I see why folks might. Dark hair, Jewish look is about it. Idina's features are much sharper.

The age works fine, Idina is in her late 30s, she could easily have a 16 year old.

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

Idina's 38 which would've made her 21/22 and what woman at that age offers to be a surrogate? That's more what I meant with the being the mother storyline. I don't think they look exactly alike, just that they look similar enough look related. Plus they both can sing and Rachel can see where she got her talent from.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:05 PM.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 1:36 PM

I'm wondering if it will be a weekly thing, Rachel getting slushed by Puck.

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

While viewing another Glee-related link, I stumbled across this video of Lea Michele performing "On My Own" with the complete recitative opening: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pMBjQd1U0Gg. She is an amazing and emotive singer! And it's such a contrast to her interpretation in the character of Rachel. Rachel's version is impressive but leaves one a little cold. Lea's version gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes...it was as if she really was Eponine! It will be very interesting to see how Lea modulates her performance to stay true to character. Now I really wish I'd seen her in "Spring Awakening"! Any chance that the musical was ever recorded on video for PBS? That's how I saw "A Light in the Piazza" with, I believe, Matthew Morrison.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 12:59 AM

Check out her performance of Les Miz at the Hollywood Bowl, where she did play Eponine.

I liked Rachel rendition but I wish the first part was a part of it. I was just happy to finally get a professional recording of it.

Edited by redbirds, Sep 6, 2009 @ 1:01 AM.

Carpedi7

Carpedi7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 9:54 PM

She's this unbelievable combination of Tracy Flick and Cordelia Chase, but with Idina Menzel/Kristin Chenowith pipes on her. I think she's fabulous.

That is the perfect description of her!

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought she resembled Idina Menzel, should have known I could come here and find others who thought like me.

I can see where she would get annoying but at the same time I can totally relate with her. I can't wait to see how they flesh her out a bit more.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 11:30 PM

I just have to say, I hope Rachel gets some slushie revenge at some point.

Now I really wish I'd seen her in "Spring Awakening"! Any chance that the musical was ever recorded on video for PBS?

Sadly, no. But as with everything these days, there is a LQ YouTube version.

Secret Symphony

Secret Symphony

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:26 PM

The music makes Glee and Lea Michele (Rachel) makes the music. I just can't get enough of her voice..it's so beautiful.

The 2nd episode was good but at the end when she sang, Take a Bow? The episode instantly became fantastic and I got goosebumps.
Here's a great quality vid I found. I have watched this at least 15 times.

RACHEL BERRY SINGING TAKE A BOW VIDEO
(the great quality one was apparently pulled from YT - AHHH)
Here's another link.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jX4NOauR9eg

Edited by Secret Symphony, Sep 10, 2009 @ 6:39 PM.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:44 PM

Rachel ( Lea) has a good sad face. Interesting facial expression inall but her sad face... geez.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 1:05 PM

Now I really wish I'd seen her in "Spring Awakening"! Any chance that the musical was ever recorded on video for PBS?

Between the language, the simulated masturbation, and the on-stage nudity, I think the show would have been quite a bit too hot for PBS to handle.

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 1:51 PM

From what I've seen in the youtube videos, I agree. The on-stage sex scene was pretty graphic, yet realistic. I can't believe Lea Michele started that play when she was 14! I wonder if the sex scene was played out differently when she was younger?

I heard that they are making a Spring Awakening movie so seeing the original cast in that would be nice.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 2:07 PM

In some of her interviews she's talked about how the role grew and changed as she grew up herself. When she was 14, she was involved in workshops and staged readings of early drafts. I'm pretty certain she wasn't going topless or being mounted by Jonathan Groff until she was at least 18.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 2:15 PM

From what I've seen in the youtube videos, I agree. The on-stage sex scene was pretty graphic, yet realistic. I can't believe Lea Michele started that play when she was 14! I wonder if the sex scene was played out differently when she was younger?

Oh I'm sure. Even in the Off-Broadway version, which was only a few months before its Broadway debut, it was slightly less graphic. I'm guessing that scene just evolved over time. And random trivia: her original co-star in the SA workshop when she was 14 was Gavin Creel (now in Hair)...and he was in his 20's at the time. Squicky!

And while I'd love to see the original cast in a Spring Awakening movie, I'm afraid at this point, they're far too old. Their characters were never supposed to be any older than 14-15. They could get away with it on stage (much like Cheno and Menzel could play "college" age in Wicked), but movies are a different story. :(

Although I guess since Rachel's a sophomore, she's supposed to be about 15 too, so I guess you never know.

Edited by flickchick85, Sep 10, 2009 @ 2:19 PM.

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

I also read that her first kiss was in SA when she was 14 (I guess with that Gavin guy) and she tried to stick her tongue in his mouth and he was like 10 years older. So even then 14 was kind of young for that kind of role. The producers and directors must have been really impressed with her. She is that good, so that's probably why.

Lea Michele's 23 which is normal age to play high school in most movies and shows. So I think she's still ok for the part.

Edited by Coconut, Sep 10, 2009 @ 2:30 PM.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 4:27 PM

How many different nicknames has Quinn given Rachel? "Man-hands," "That Thing," "Rachel, what's her name."

Also, are they changing flavors of slushes she's getting hit with? On the pilot looked like cherry, last night had to be Blue Raspberry. So I'm thinking Icees and not Slurpees (ice crystals on a slurpee would be more painful).

Edited by BigPaul25, Sep 10, 2009 @ 4:28 PM.

leighcrawl

leighcrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 6:07 PM

Quinn also called her RuPaul.

I love her version of "Take a Bow." I'll probably enjoy any song Lea sings on the show. Even her rap in "Push It."

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 9:49 PM

In the screener Rachel is called a tranny.

The producers and directors must have been really impressed with her. She is that good, so that's probably why.

She had to re-auditon for each workshop she did. And in some interview she said the hayloft ( sex scene) couldn't be like it ended up due to laws. She also mention there was a lot of stuff they tried and cut out, not just her scenes everyone.

In the Principals office I was getting a little Eddie Haskel vibe form Rachel and liked it.

Edited by redbirds, Sep 10, 2009 @ 9:50 PM.