Finn Hudson: Quick on the Trigger

• Please log in to reply

5630 replies to this topic

rebelliousrose

rebelliousrose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:38 AM

Broke my heart. Shattered it. Trying to crawl into the screen to comfort him.

Hell of an acting job from the big guy, and then that bit at the end where his voice hitched when he was talking about the blanket.

*sobs*

myintermail

myintermail

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 6:19 AM

Previously I was meh about him, but now I think he sold in the recent episode.

How can be a person be dumb and smart at the same time? He didn't know he can borrow books in the library (seriously, even non bookworms know that too), sex just barely a month and sperms do not get active under higher temperatures. Ah Finn, the things people tell you and you just eat it up.

But then again, he managed to find a way to loosen up the football guys and find a way to raise Quinn's child and be a responsible parent.

Oh, scene with Kurt: Awesome. Nice to see he's trying to make friends with him. The jury is still out for whether he knows Kurt has a crush on him.

Bella Rossa

Bella Rossa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 7:44 AM

How can be a person be dumb and smart at the same time?

Commonsensically behind and not, you know, book smart or well read is his dumb, but he's bang on with the emotional stuff, I think. The line last week about "is this a chick thing where you pretend to be mad about one thing but you're pissed about something else," stereotypes aside or whatever, he's not wrong, shows I think he's not so bad at reading people. And he knows what makes him feel good and successful and what helps him do better. Which is all to say, he's not smart-smart, but he's sensitive. (And adorable.)

roxywabbit

roxywabbit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 8:34 AM

Finn seems to be the a savant in terms of emotional intelligence. He reads people extremely well and it's really sweet to see him struggle with that.

His utter lack of book and general knowledge is pretty stereotypical for his jock character though. And I think it makes his extreme emotional IQ that much more impressive.

Also, it's adorably sweet. He'd be an awesome daddy... just... awesome.

OfficePushing

OfficePushing

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 4:24 PM

A friend of mine worked as an extra for the season and he told me that Cory Monteith is "easily one of the nicest coolest people I've met."

I love how Cory plays Finn and he constantly impresses me with his performance. The crying in this past episode when talking to Will was amazing. He's such a sweetheart and it was very cool to find out that he was like that in person as well.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 5:41 PM

I too thought Cory did a great job last night, particularly with the scene where he broke down.

rebelliousrose

rebelliousrose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

I'm beginning to break the show down like I would if I were dramaturging it (I can't help it!) and while Rachel is the intellectual head of the show, Finn is the soft, gooey heart. She's all ego and he's all exposed underbelly, which means that (of course) they have lessons to learn from each other. They remind me a bit of the Pacey/Andie dynamic waaaay back in the days of Dawson's Creek.

But Finn is shamelessly my favorite character, and I love the way Cory pulls off the nuances in his expressions. He does the thing that another one of my favorite actors, Tahmoh Penikett does; his expression never changes, but the look in his eyes guts you.

I also laugh my ass off at how much he commits to the, er, arrivals. Because that kind of comedy is all or nothing, and he's selling it with every frame. Perhaps the school team should be the Minutemen.

Edited by rebelliousrose, Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:33 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:38 AM

I wonder if they're going to keep having one of those scenes every other episode or so as a running joke?

Poor kid's probably lucky he made it through the "Push It" performance without needing to run home and change.

rebelliousrose

rebelliousrose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

Maybe that's why he looked so anxious the whole time! He certainly had the widest smile of the whole number when Tina was grinding on him during his rap. (Or maybe he went all "Something About Mary" before the performance.)

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:31 AM

His friendly, nonjudgmental "But I understand how important prom is to a gay teen" was so understated, so spot-on, that it equaled the crying for me in terms of actual talent. He made a bold decision to approach the line in a relaxed manner where anyone else would have come across as nervous, and it totally paid off.

OfficePushing

OfficePushing

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:50 AM

Eris Rising - I totally agree with that. It took me a second viewing to really get that.

Can I just say that we all pretty much love this guy?

Rant

Rant

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

He made a bold decision to approach the line in a relaxed manner where anyone else would have come across as nervous, and it totally paid off.

In addition, he seemed totally okay that Kurt may have a crush on him; his only weirded-out moment was when he thought he had it wrong and had assumed incorrectly that Kurt was gay.

Have to say, I really love this character, both because how he's written and how Monteith sells it.

Risti

Risti

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 5:00 PM

I only very recently (after I'd seen the first couple of Glee episodes) went back and watched the serie Kyle XY. For those of you who didn't know, Cory Monteith had a reoccurring character for the first season and a half of that show. On the surface, the character had a lot of similarities to Finn - he was a high school jock who tried to be a nice guy, but came across as quite douchey (especially towards the end of his run).

His friendly, nonjudgmental "But I understand how important prom is to a gay teen" was so understated, so spot-on, that it equaled the crying for me in terms of actual talent. He made a bold decision to approach the line in a relaxed manner where anyone else would have come across as nervous, and it totally paid off.

This reminded me of one of the key differences between the two characters. Kyle XY had a Very Special Episode where they dealt with the school's prejudice against allowing same-sex couples to go to the dance together. Cory's character Charlie gets to be the homophobic one (so much so that I began wondering if his character was actually hiding something...).

I watched the series before this past week's episode, and also before I heard that the actor who plays the lead in Kyle XY is supposedly openly gay (but I don't think he was open the entire time the show was filming). I can't help but wonder if his experience with all of that was a part of how Finn played this role, or his reactions to Kurt's character in general.

rebelliousrose

rebelliousrose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 5:38 PM

I think what makes me so very happy about that scene is the fact that it IS no big deal to Finn; homophobia's so far off his map as to be a non-issue, as far as other people go. His own reputation is another thing entirely, but it seems to bother him more in terms of practicality; (being called "Deep Throat" in the huddle), and he certainly supported Kurt all the way.

I love this show for so many reasons, but Cory Monteith's performance is becoming higher on the list with every episode.

Also; he may be the worst dancer on the show, but he's so DAMNED cute while he's flatfooting it!

Edited by rebelliousrose, Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:39 PM.

StarrieEyedKat

StarrieEyedKat

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 1:03 AM

I'm not entirely sure why I just thought of this at 2 in the morning, but Finn reminds me of one of my husband's favorite sayings (that he thankfully doesn't hold to)...
"Sex is like a race, whoever finishes first wins. And I'm undefeated."

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 2:40 AM

"Sex is like a race, whoever finishes first wins. And I'm undefeated."

I cringed. lol. Well, at least that's something Finn was undefeated at.

I've just realized yesterday that what I like about Finn-the-character is how close to being a "loser" type of character he actually is. He is nice (which is not exactly the coolest quality out there), a talented singer (but only moderately talented compared to other people in the club, and in a world where other football players and cheerleaders can also sing and where random guys, including their football coach(!), sing well enough to be in a band), a QB (but the QB of a loser team so possibly just a case of "there was noone better"). He is also dense, by far the worst dancer in the club, has major issues with premature ejaculation (Quinn's annoyed "no, no, think of the mail!" in the bathtube was so humiliating), also the guy who failed first in the baloon scene, is still a virgin, and is easily manipulated by his girlfriend. Even better, he is self-aware.

Edited by Crim, Sep 28, 2009 @ 2:48 AM.

Bella Rossa

Bella Rossa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 8:39 PM

Thus supporting my theory, Crim, that Finn is the new Bright Abbott. I wonder if we'll see more of his home life.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 9:59 PM

Who knew Finn had that kind of deviousness in him? I do buy that he could pull that kind of manipulation off (it's part and parcel of having his level of emotional intelligence), but even as conflicted and guilty as he was about it, I was still surprised at him. I loved how much of his time with Rachel, though, became him sincerely enjoying spending time with her, until he remembered his mission.

But, while I think Finn is a great character, and that Cory is doing a phenomenal job, I'm not going to pretend that my appreciation of him has no shallow component, so I also have to say that the first scene he had with Rachel, when he promised to run lines with her, had me swooning even as I was shaking my head at him. He is SO. CUTE. I love his adorkable dancing, and his smile just kills me.

mupt90

mupt90

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:23 PM

I'm not going to pretend that my appreciation of him has no shallow component, so I also have to say that the first scene he had with Rachel, when he promised to run lines with her, had me swooning

I just made a similar comment over on the Episode thread! Nothing hotter than a tall man leaning into a smaller woman in just that way. MMMMM! I also commented that I'm glad Cory Montieth is actually 27 in real life because it is easier for me to justify my crush on someone who is 13 years younger than me than if I had a crush on an actual high school junior. Because that? Is just gross.

I also love the disasterous white boy dancing and that smile. And the half smile!

Edited by mupt90, Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:24 PM.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:16 AM

Perhaps the school team should be the Minutemen

HEY! It's all fun and games until you have to change your mascot to "the Colonials" due to relentless inter-town taunting!

You're all spot-on with Finn having an innate emotional IQ that's off the charts. When you take that into account, it really explains how he can be intellectually dim a lot of the time but also outstandingly insightful. And that he'd figure out how to manipulate Rachel while simultaneously falling a little bit in love with Rachel, and not being able to distinguish the two.

Also, he dances like Frankenstein, which is the most hilarious ongoing visual. And it's so obvious -- that thing where people have marked off their choreography, but haven't included enough fluidity to GET from mark to mark on time, so it looks all jerky and awkward. He's so hopelessly coltish that I think it's genuine, that he actually doesn't have the instinctive rhythmic gene in him for dancing, but it's so spot-on and delightful. (Puck, on the other hand, must be giving Demian and LTG the vapors, he's so smooth with the dance moves.)

BigBeans

BigBeans

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 1:03 AM

Does anybody else get the sneaking suspicion that Cory Monteith's singing is really a lot better than Finn's is? We have heard some completely, overwhelmingly good notes from Cory, most notably from Somebody To Love (when he sings "I've just got to get out of this prison cell, someday I'm gonna be free Looooooooooord!"). Although Lea's voice shone through a little more than Cory's, some of the notes he hit in Don't Stop Believin' were just phenomenal. Even when he's just practicing (with Rachel in "Showmance" and the Cheno in "The Rhodes Not Taken") we have heard him hit some awesome notes. I think there is this wonderful little gem of talent in Cory that the producers have held back a little. I want to see it shine, damn it!

Edited by BigBeans, Oct 1, 2009 @ 1:04 AM.

Rinslet

Rinslet

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 1:15 AM

I think there is this wonderful little gem of talent in Cory that the producers have held back a little. I want to see it shine, damn it!

I hope they're holding back so the finale or his big performances that WILL matter makes it all the more impressive.

I'm rooting for you Cory!

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:57 AM

I didn't think Finn had that kind of deviousness in him either. It makes me wonder if he's as oblivious as he seems to Quinn's manipulation, if he can pull that off so well himself.

I was blown away by Cory's singing on "Somebody to Love" - that was WAY better than anything I've heard out of him before, and in fact way better than I thought he had potential for.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 1:08 PM

Although Lea's voice shone through a little more than Cory's, some of the notes he hit in Don't Stop Believin' were just phenomenal. Even when he's just practicing (with Rachel in "Showmance" and the Cheno in "The Rhodes Not Taken") we have heard him hit some awesome notes.

I think that he may be a natural talent, in that his amatuerishness lends to his character a certain sense of authenticity. Cory is hitting some great notes, yes, but we should remember that they are pre-recorded with the aid of perfect pitch devices, and you can really tell when he hasn't quite got there and it's too overworked. Having said this, his scales are pretty good, which is always the first step to developing your gift.

Bella Rossa

Bella Rossa

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 2:49 PM

I didn't think Finn had that kind of deviousness in him either. It makes me wonder if he's as oblivious as he seems to Quinn's manipulation, if he can pull that off so well himself.

I kinda think he is that oblivious. He bought the "hot water + sperm = baby" and that Quinn's committed to the whole celibacy endeavor. At the moment, in his mind, despite never having had sex with the girl, that kid's his and she's being straight with him. I think if anything sets his antennae off, it will be Puck, because that dude is aggro. I also hope that he eventually tells someone Quinn's story and gets the whole "this is how you make a baby" talk. And then we get a "Spring Awakening" reference.

I am very curious how things are going to go with Rachel now. She broke my heart in the bowling alley, how happy she was to say that she would quit. That he felt guilty, I appreciate, but it takes more than welcoming her back and singing (kick ass) together to make up for the fact that he tried to take advantage of her. I also can't decide how genuine he was when he said he wanted to spend more time with her. I'm not sure he thought he meant it, even though I believe on some level it's true--I'm not articulating this well at all, but you know what I mean, that he said it for her benefit, maybe not really meaning it one hundred per cent, even though it's true. Either way, I love the way the two of them play off each other, that when he finally was honest with her she said he could have just told her that, but it's the lie that made it so awful, not necessarily his reason for wanting her back in glee.

nanillac

nanillac

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 8:56 PM

If Finn said "I appreciate you" like that I'd probably consider giving up my dreams too. Only for a minute though. Still...

rosiegal

rosiegal

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 11:45 PM

Am I seeing things or was Finn wearing the same striped shirt from the onstage picnic kiss during his bowling outing with Rachel? If so, I kind of love the idea that Finn, in all his emotional astuteness, might have thought "Huh, she obviously liked me in this shirt the first time, might as well wear it again!"

Rinslet

Rinslet

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 2:48 AM

Same stripes, but the neck area is different. In Showmance, it was khaki-ish colored, in this one it's that dark color.

LOL this was the first thing I checked when the stills came out. Hahah though I can see his reasoning to be somewhat like that.

PS: I'm so in love with Finn's voice when he did "You you you you you"... XDHe sounded more confident on doing those vocal exercises compared to the first time we see him doing it with Rachel.

Edited by Rinslet, Oct 2, 2009 @ 2:56 AM.

ParisSun

ParisSun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 7:04 PM

Hey Buffy fans. Is Finn Riley or Angel? Too easy huh? We know who Puck is.

Bella Rossa

Bella Rossa

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 7:49 PM

I'm so in love with Finn's voice when he did "You you you you you"... XDHe sounded more confident on doing those vocal exercises compared to the first time we see him doing it with Rachel.

Plus the fact that he responded to the me-me-mes that way was hilarious. I kinda thought the way he was busting those out was mocking April a bit, as well.