Modern Family: Why The Face?

• Please log in to reply

10927 replies to this topic

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 7:49 AM

I loved Mitchell's sweater at the gig.

I also loved the band member feeding Lily. Cutest thing ever.

I liked the quick the shot of Lily watching her daddy with a stick in her hand just like him while he was drumming.

I was soooo happy that they let the camera linger on Lily for more than a fraction of a second. I'm so in love with her.

Also loved, "---yes, it's a gay thing."

Don't usually like Kelly Choi on Top Chef Masters but like her more now having seen her try to engage to actors who play Manny and Alex.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz, Apr 29, 2010 @ 8:29 AM.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 8:09 AM

I don't remember the exact quote, but I thought it was funny when Mitchell's dad met Gloria and he said, "You're a very beautiful woman," and she said, "You must be Frank," and he said, something like you are one hot . . . whatever . . . taking it to a franker level.

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 8:10 AM

I found it interesting that Jay seemed to be perfectly fine with how silly Phil's dad is but he he can't stand Phil.

I think Phil's dad might be a little funnier. But that exchange about Gloria and if he had crossed a line and Jay saying that it was ok, something just caught me as genuine and funny. I guess thats really the show for me, it feels real, and sitcom-y, and so clever all at the same time.

rapunzelchick

rapunzelchick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 8:52 AM

Right after that was a commercial for a phone showing an app for how to adopt a dog, and that dog looked just like ďScoutĒ. I donít know if that was planned or not, but it just made me laugh!

I noticed that too and wondered whether it was some sort of animal adoption PSA product placement/tie-in. Or it could just be a big fat coincidence.

My husband and I had to pause to recover following the interview with Mitchell and Cam about having one of them stay home with Lily.

Cam: We're a very traditional family.
Mitchell: That's what the disabled lesbian shaman who blessed Lily's room said.

Mitchell's delivery was just so perfect. I Laughed so hard it became one of those coughing/crying fits.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 9:07 AM

I thought this one was just okay, but I did laugh out loud at Gloria's "What are we talking about?" when Jay was going on about the Cuban Missle Crisis. On paper, her emotional, fiery Latina schtick seems like it would get old, but her delivery just gets me every time. And my god is she gorgeous!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 9:23 AM

I love Fred Willard. I'm so glad he played such a major role in this ep. His and Phil's relationship is sweet, endearing, and just plain goofy. Their jokes are so corny, but I love them anyway, like when Phil says to his dad, "Was there a twister in Kansas because there's a house in my driveway!"

At first I, too, thought Phil's parents had gotten divorced, but almost immediately I thought that was too obvious. When Claire was convinced her in-laws were having problems I knew that couldn't be the case.

I enjoyed Luke's doglike antics: running thru the screen door ("What happened?"), getting stuck in the crate, running after the RV. It's over the top, but still funny.

I LOVED the shot of Claire doing Luke's paper route.

I also loved when Phil was talking about waiting for Claire to be in a good mood before he brought up the dog, saying that actually she did have a good mood one time, but he cashed it in for something else.

I had to put aside my disbelief that Jay would take Manny into an R-rated movie. I had to imagine that he didn't see the R-rating displayed and he didn't see the scary-looking poster for the movie. I guess he was just so excited to be sharing this rite-of-passage, father-son bonding moment that he was oblivious to everything. That's what I made myself think.

Love when Gloria is following Manny upstairs after Ben scares him at the window, and she says to Jay, "We're going to need a bigger bed." Nice Jaws reference.

I loved watching Cam play the drums. When he started out the audition crappy, I was so hoping he was just goofing around. Having the sticks in the wrong hands. Hee. But of course he had to do his interminable drum solo. Oh well. Anyway, that was cute, esp seeing how Mitchell reacted. What was the prior commitment they had? Their friend Pepper's apres ski fondue party? I've heard of apres ski, but I can't remember what that means.

So, not a hilarious ep, but still good.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 9:32 AM

I've heard of apres ski, but I can't remember what that means.

Apres means after. I generally think of apres ski as going for hot chocolate at the ski lodge after a day on the runs. I'm guessing they were going for more "swiss alps" because it was a fondue party. I think the theme was "apres ski" which explains the sweater- though they weren't really going skiing first.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 9:34 AM

Phil never seemed more like Michael Scott to me than when he was greeting his father, who seemed just like Andy Bernard.

Another killer dress on Gloria.

clevernamehere

clevernamehere

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 9:39 AM

Regarding Claire and Alexís boobies, I didnít think the comment was that bad. I assumed that those girls were her friends and would feel sympathy for Alex. It isnít insulting so much as it was TMI. If Claire was generally a critical, hurtful mother I could see it being part of an unhealthy pattern, but sheís generally pretty supportive. And Alex is herself very sarcastic and cutting, not a delicate flower of a girl. I don't see it as a serious pre-teen trauma.

And really, it is a sitcom. For me, the dog really pointed out how much you canít take this show seriously. I have pet allergies and if a dog set off my allergies, I couldnít live with it. Medication is fine for the short term, but Iíve woken up in the middle of the night when the medication wears off, struggling the breathe. But I think we were supposed to picture Philís mom having occasional sniffles, not anything more.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 9:59 AM

After 2-3 episodes of relative meh-ness, last night's episode was an awesome reminder of why I adore this show. I love the truth/insight underlying the best episodes of this show (and IMO the best comedy in general). Even when this show doesn't make me laugh, it often provides that 'oh, yeah, I SO know what they mean here' that for me makes for an awesome viewing experience. For instance, let's just say that I relate all too well to the dynamic Phil and his father have; that mandatory lighthearted---and often painfully unfunny---'joking' that precludes actual candid discussion!

I loved, loved, loved the Cameron-Mitch stuff, and after attending a recent concert could so relate to Mitch's droll observation about Cameron's drum solo 'moment' seemingly lasting FOREVER!

Mitchell's delivery was just so perfect.

ITA. It's funny, because I've thought about why I adore Mitchell and dislike Claire, despite the fact that I can totally see why people think they have similar personalities and similar dynamics with their significant others. And, for me, a lot of it is really LOVING the actor who plays Mitchell, whose line readings and facial expressions are almost always fantastically on target for me. He makes me love what could, on paper, be an utterly meh character to me. (And my love was just enhanced, as I thought the actor came across wonderfully based on what little we saw of him on this week's Top Chef!)

Edited by couldhavebee, Apr 29, 2010 @ 10:01 AM.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

After reading some of the comments about Claire and her bitchiness, I watched especially for it and she did seem aggravated in a lot of the scenes. However, I didn't blame her at least in this episode. Phil knew his dad was coming (in an RV to be parked in their driveway) with a DOG no less, and never told her, much less consulted with her. I would be pissed too and of course she is going to be the one to take care of the dog. Most of the work is always going to fall on the wife/mother and I think she earns alot of her irritation.

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 10:26 AM

I am just so happy to have a new episode to discuss so we can get past Claire / Alex and the boobies scene. I wonder if they did the Luke acting like a dog thing because of the interview the actor who plays Phil did where he said he thinks of his character like a big, lovable dog. Luke is even more like that.

And I did appreciate Mitchell acting so proud of Cam at the concert, that is until his unnecessarily long drum solo. I have to agree with Mitchell on that one - unless you're Keith Moon (God rest his soul) or someone on that level, drum solos get old pretty quick.

Haley to Mitch: "Our boyfriends are so hot!" LOL.

Was it just me or did the actor playing the movie scary guy totally look like Matthew Rhys (Kevin on Bros. & Sisters)? I'm still not sure if it was him.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 11:15 AM

I found it interesting that Jay seemed to be perfectly fine with how silly Phil's dad is but he he can't stand Phil.

I think he is annoyed by Phil at times but overall he likes the guy.

I think Jay knew what the movie was rated and didn't care. Plenty of parents take their kids to R rated movies as kids, or that is what I saw growing up.

Planbee

Planbee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Mitchell's delivery was just so perfect.

Does anyone remember seeing this clip online months ago? I swear it was part of a longer scene where Mitchell and Cam explained how they decided who would stay at home with Lily. Cam says something like being a music teacher actually cost them money because he was always buying treats. The punchline was Mitchell saying "And besides, I'm a lawyer." Spoiler bars in case it shows up in a future episode and it wasn't just an strange dream on my part.

I was iffy on Fred Willard, but I adored his delivery in last night's tag: Well, listen, when my granddaughter's boyfriend's band plays an under-21 club with my daughter-in-law's brother's gay partner, I show up.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

"Man, you should label those sticks" - Just made me break up. The guy's delivery was perfect. I think that he was the same band member who was feeding Lily later.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 11:58 AM

I also loved the band member feeding Lily. Cutest thing ever.

I liked the quick the shot of Lily watching her daddy with a stick in her hand just like him while he was drumming.

Those were great. I especially liked how nonchalant and at ease the guy was while feeding Lily. Like it was a totally normal thing for him to do. Hee!

I also liked Mitchell and Haley bonding over their cool boyfriends. High five!

unless you're Keith Moon (God rest his soul) or someone on that level, drum solos get old pretty quick.

I'd go as far as to say that unless you're a drummer, any drum solo gets old pretty quick.

Edited by dubbel zout, Apr 29, 2010 @ 11:58 AM.

mookiestarz

mookiestarz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:04 PM

Plus he sees Phil all the time but sees Phil's dad infrequently. I guess Phil and Phil's dad are easier to take in small doses.

Cam's rocker make-up/outfit was hilarious as was his expression while drumming at the club. I also loved when Mitch gave up while explaining to his dad, "yes, it's a gay thing." Stay, Luke! Stay!

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:44 PM

So one week Cam misses being at home with Lily so much he starts to breakdown and the next he wants out of the house? Seems a bit odd

Also this episode is why I love Claire, her going a complete 180 on the dog.

Plus the line on how the dog got the bra was great.

Edited by Top Dog 12, Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:44 PM.

m love

m love

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:55 PM

I don't remember the exact quote, but I thought it was funny when Mitchell's dad met Gloria and he said, "You're a very beautiful woman," and she said, "You must be Frank," and he said, something like you are one hot . . . whatever . . . taking it to a franker level.

Haha! Thanks for the explanation of this. I totally just thought that he went into further description because she was attractive and knew his name... I didn't get the frank = honest connection.

Luke running through the screen door made me LOL, but everything after that just kinda fell flat. Although I did love the little look Claire gave the camera when he was stuck in the cage, since this is shot documentary-style and everything.

Also loved Mitchell's like "And I'm always going to remember you as the stranger feeding my baby." Poor Mitch never gets any time with Lily! And I did love Mitch/Cameron storyline... Haley's "Our boyfriends are so awesome!" line and Mitch being excited for Cam and staying to support him made me aww.

Edited by m love, Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:40 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

Also this episode is why I love Claire, her going a complete 180 on the dog.

"I can't believe he took my dog." Aw, Claire!

I loved the shot of Lily holding her drumstick during Cam's audition. It's probably giving the baby actress too much credit, but I'd like to think Lily's expression read as "I know, right? Daddy's awesome."

I liked the "Man, you gotta label those sticks" / feeding Lily guy.

I also liked the way the "Well, this is awkward" scene with the return of "Ringo" the original drummer. Something about Cam's "Oh - awkward for me" line seemed very sweet as well as very funny. (But surely Original Drummer Kid is the Pete Best, and not the Ringo? Dude, I'm old.)

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

I don't think Cam wanted to be away from Lily so much as do something that made him feel valued for something other than just parenthood. And Lily was at band practice.

Run through a screen door...okay, kind of funny. Look around afterwards with absolutely no clue what got between yourself and the great outdoors...not funny.

Back in the 80's my 8 year old cousin ran through the screen door at my Aunt's wedding I can assure you, in real life it is not just merely "kind of funny" it was more flat out fucking hilarious. I also agree with the person who said the Luke stuff is very subtle, and almost background, and is therefore all the funnier to me.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

I don't think Cam wanted to be away from Lily so much as do something that made him feel valued for something other than just parenthood. And Lily was at band practice.

I agree, I just thought thought that after the previous episode that being a parent was all Cam wanted.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:41 PM

I didn't find it OOC at all for Cam to want to do things other than look after Lily. Music has been an important part of his life. He was a music teacher and he was the head of a community chorus. Much as he loves Lily and much as he likes being a stay-at-home dad, I don't think he wants to give everything in his life up for her. Even stay-at-home parent have outside interests.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:51 PM

I still can't believe Manny was sleeping in his parents bed when scared or that Jay allowed it.

But knowing him he probably folds to Gloria a lot.

justaskme

justaskme

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Did anyone catch what was on Cam's shirt during his band debut? It looked like a picture of Lily in one of her themed wigs. I could've just imagined it but if it was her it was a great touch.

Laurabrat

Laurabrat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 2:52 PM

Back in the 80's my 8 year old cousin ran through the screen door at my Aunt's wedding I can assure you, in real life it is not just merely "kind of funny" it was more flat out fucking hilarious.

And as someone who crashed through a sliding glass door at age 12 and ended up with two giant scars on her left leg, I can assure you it's not funny at all. Ain't mileage grand?

I think the difference in the words "screen" and "glass" make the difference between hilarious and scary. Mileage and all that.

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

As someone who ran into and bounced off a sliding glass door in front of a whole lot of friends in my teens, I can guarantee you if the glass doesn't bread it is F'ing hilarious to everyone but the person who hit the glass. Even if certain *ummm* substances were the culprit.

Sorry, topic, that's why I thought the scene was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a long time despite having seen it in many, many commercials prior to airing.

I also wondered what was on Cam's T-shirt. Anyone?

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 3:05 PM

In my office, we have a conference room where the walls are floor-to-ceiling glass, including the doors. One day at a big firm event, one partner just walked right into the closed door. Fortunately, he was not running like a little boy. (Now, ever panel has a circle of frosted glass at eye-level to remind you that there is actually something there.) (And for the record, I found it quite funny -- although a lot of that was the fact that you had to stifle any laughter because of where we were, which just made everything seem funnier.)

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 3:11 PM

Something about Cam's "Oh - awkward for me" line seemed very sweet as well as very funny.

I know. It was such a subtle line reading. I really loved it.

LittleOat

LittleOat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 4:56 PM

Most of the work is always going to fall on the wife/mother and I think she earns alot of her irritation.

I think that's why I like the character of Claire. Some moms may seem bitchy and overbearing sometimes, but a lot of it is warranted because they put up with so much.

I think a lot of it is that he doesn't mind Phil so much as a person, but the whole "dude's sleeping with my daughter" thing gets in the way of being able to like him a lot. No matter how old his daughter is and no matter how long she's been married, some dads are just like that.

I really enjoyed this episode. Baby Lily is just too cute, and the shot of her with her own drumstick made me love her and Cam that much more. Cam really does seem like the type of parent who would give his child a toy along the theme of what he's currently doing, so it was perfect. I can just imaging little Lily with her toy rolling pin while Cam is baking.