Modern Family: Why The Face?

• Please log in to reply

10928 replies to this topic

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:05 PM

The kid actors are all fine. Everyone else is fine, actually, but I definitely didn't like Phil... too much Michael Scott in there. I was sorely tempted to fast forward his scenes, and the only reason I didn't was because it was the pilot episode and I felt I should give it a chance.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:15 PM

Ratings were good.

ABC/Modern Family 9 p.m. (series premiere)
Viewers: 12.74 million (#2), A18-49: 4.3/12 (#1)

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

Stupid dad and neurotic wife has been done to death, so I definitely agree that this was the weakest link family. Thankfully the other two families were much more fun, so I'll be watching because of them while it lasts.

crazydaizy3

crazydaizy3

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

ABC/Modern Family 9 p.m. (series premiere)
Viewers: 12.74 million (#2), A18-49: 4.3/12 (#1)

Those are actually great numbers so hopefully people stick around.

Stupid dad and neurotic wife has been done to death

This is true, but they're realistic. I think the parents trying to be "cool" is something that people identify with or at least recognize people they know in these characters. Comedies are just not what they used to be, so despite the minor flaws this show had I'm willing to stick around because it actually made me laugh. There's definitely potential here.

I do agree that the one dad was Michael Scott-esque, but I thought the BB gun part and the WTF parts were hilarious.

uw badgers

uw badgers

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 2:33 PM

Just finished watching this show online. I found it hilarious. It's a good mix and it moved quickly. I like that. I didn't hate any one part, guess that makes me easy..heh..

but I thought the BB gun part and the WTF parts were hilarious.

Cracked.Me.Up.

Hope it makes it. It's now on season pass.

tellybelly

tellybelly

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

But I guess all that makes me is old.

No, it just makes you a sane mom. My partner and I have a soon to be 15 year-old daughter and there is no way she would be allowed to have a boy in her room, much less with the door shut.

But then, I despise the Disney Channel (and Disney in general) for a lot of things and one of those is showing millions of kids that they should be rich, good looking and pretty much running their own lives without parental interference starting about, oh, twelve.

It pisses me off no end.

I actually found the mother character (and actress) to be a bit of a drag on the whole show.

teegee

teegee

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

ABC has a history of rolling out these great, quirky shows with interesting characters and cancelling them. Off the top of my head - The Knights of Prosperity, Carpoolers, In Case of Emergency, The Job, The Naked Truth (yeah, still bitter after all these years).

Don't forget Pushing Daisies (sigh), and Sons and Daughters, which this reminded me of quite a bit as soon as I started seeing the promos. I thought that show was hilarious, and gone too soon (and, sadly, not on DVD!) As for this...meh. There were a few laugh out loud moments for me (Lion King, ha!), and I'll probably check it out again, but I wouldn't consider this appointment viewing. I

Also, given ABC's track record the last several years with its new shows, I'm not particularly willing to get attached to a new show unless it gets renewed for at least a second season (though that strategy didn't work for me with Dirty Sexy Money or the aforementioned Pushing Daisies, sigh again).

dressedinred

dressedinred

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 4:49 PM

I personally liked the nuclear family the best, since I tend to be interested in the kids on shows like this, and well, they have the most kids. Lame reason, sure, but.

Shelley Bee

Shelley Bee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 6:25 PM

teegee, I think you are the first person to mention Sons & Daughters by name. Not many people watched that, and I get the sense that of those that did, many people hated it and gave up on it. It's a shame. I'm also among the scores of fans waiting and waiting and waiting for a DVD announcement. (I doubt a Miss Guided DVD is in the works, either.) I loved the big eccentric extended family of Sons & Daughters, but the pilot for this show wanted us to see each couple's family dynamic before turning them loose on each other. I'll definitely keep watching.

I hate the title, though. It's generic and ... presumptuous, maybe? Like, this is the final word on what it's like to be a family in modern America. But at least it's not American _____. That title's been done to death. And I don't really understand the conceit of the show. In their confessionals, are they talking to a documentary crew whom they've agreed to let film their everyday lives? That's understood in the pilots for The Office and Parks And Rec, but it's not explicitly stated here. I don't recall any of the characters acknowledging the camera in "real life," unless it was Phil during the BB gun incident (or maybe I was just seeing things).

Phil is def my favorite character so far. He's such a dork. Ty Burrell is good in this. I don't remember him in anything other than The Incredible Hulk (as Doc Samson) and Dawn Of The Dead (he was that asshole guy).

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

I hate the title, though. It's generic and ... presumptuous, maybe? Like, this is the final word on what it's like to be a family in modern America.

I think the point is that there is no final or definitive word on what it's like to be a modern family, that there's nothing "generic" about it. Unlike decades past, the family unit can't be put into a neat little box anymore - each family looks different, and is self-defined by the connections between those involved.

I loved the setup of all the characters and relationships, and I'm looking forward to seeing what develops on all fronts. I've already decided I'll be watching Modern Family live and Ti-Fauxing Glee, so that I can FF through the songs and characters I don't like.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 8:00 PM

I don't recall any of the characters acknowledging the camera in "real life," unless it was Phil during the BB gun incident (or maybe I was just seeing things).

I believe there's a moment where Mitchell looks sidelong at the camera while he's sort of arguing with Cameron.

andme

andme

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

I love this show! It was absolutely hilarious. I can't wait for next week's episode!

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 9:57 PM

I don't recall any of the characters acknowledging the camera in "real life," unless it was Phil during the BB gun incident (or maybe I was just seeing things).

I believe there's a moment where Mitchell looks sidelong at the camera while he's sort of arguing with Cameron.

I think there's another when Dylan comes through the door and he gets a little 'deer in the headlights' on looking directly into the camera. The presence of a documentary crew is implicit, I think, if not specifically acknowledged.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

And welcome back, Ed O'Neill. I don't know why but I really like that actor in comedies.

He'll always be Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Bundy. Glad he's back on TV. Love that he bought the "funky" track outfit so he won't be mistaken for the mall walkers!

This was cute. If I'm home I might watch if nothing else is on, but not something I'd DVR.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 12:30 AM

I totally agree with AddiesRedArmy's analysis on the first page. Just because the format is "non-traditional" (altho with The Office and The Comeback the pseudo-documentary style grows less unusual) doesn't make the show fresh. The blonde daughter's family is so corny and cliched - kids smarter than the parents, dad trying to be cool and hip, tired gags like a kid getting his head stuck in the staircase (is any kid that dumb? sounded like it was a recurring thing with the kid) - blech. The gay couple was a little better but the "oh look the baby really has a creampuff" thing was lame (who gives their small baby a creampuff on an airplane?)

[Okay, this critique is venturing into Robert-Reed's-essay-to-the-Brady-Bunch-producers territory, I'll scale back.]

That said the dad and the new wife material was the funniest of the bunch because they're so weird and the Ed Bundy guy is a funny actor (funnier than I expected) and the kid is charming and not bratty. Plus they all have good chemistry together.

And I also agree with Strega, this does owe a lot to the "Real Family" episode of WKRP.

Maybe these problems are just symptoms of it being a pilot.

celestial904

celestial904

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 12:40 AM

I'm seriously still laughing from the Lion King scene. That was hilarious. I'm glad this show is not as disppointing as Accidentally On Purpose.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 4:08 AM

I do agree there's a ton of cliche in this, but I liked it. There was a kind of "Arrested Development" feel to it that I liked.

Also, Julie Bowen is still my "go to blond", even years after "Ed" ended. And speaking of "Ed" (although in a different sense), Ed O'Neill can't NOT be funny, so that's cool too.

It beat the pants off Glee, which saddens me for Glee's sake, but I wish the show well overall. If its taking viewers from the procedurals on CBS and NBC, then I'll be a big fan and watch it every week, once I'm done with Glee.

Teague

Teague

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 9:58 AM

Comparisons to The Office and Arrested Development are probably inevitable, but I think this might owe something to the "Real Families" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.

Fantastic point, strega.

ieh21

ieh21

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

I think the weak link for me is going to be the mother of the "typical" family that can't stand up to her kids as someone else mentioned. Although I know actual families like that in real life, I find it unbelievable that people let their 15 year old daughters spend time with their brand new senior boyfriends in her bedroom with the door closed. But I guess all that makes me is old.

It should be noted that she doesn't know the door is closed, and once she sees them in there, she insists on opening the door. I like that they're giving her a backstory that involves having done crazy things in her youth and trying to avoid her daughter repeating them. That's typical of all parents.

I am still laughing at the Lion King intro, as well as at the Julie Bowen character, in her interview:
"If I avoid this behaviour in our daughter, then I'll have done my job"
Husband: "OUR job"
Wife:"yes, that's right, I'll have done our job".

Mrs OldManBalls

Mrs OldManBalls

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 5:58 PM

Manny is so sweet in his little silk shirt!

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 7:04 PM

I really don't like comedies, or sitcoms, but I decided to give this one a try mainly for the gay dads. It's still extremely rare for a television series to feature gay or lesbian parents and their children as main characters, so I thought I should support the representation when it's there. So far, not too bad. I found it amusing. I like the mockumentary style, and I chuckled a bit at certain lines. I'll be tuning in to future episodes to see what the show has in store.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 7:55 PM

I really don't like comedies, or sitcoms, but I decided to give this one a try mainly for the gay dads. It's still extremely rare for a television series to feature gay or lesbian parents and their children as main characters, so I thought I should support the representation when it's there. So far, not too bad. I found it amusing. I like the mockumentary style, and I chuckled a bit at certain lines. I'll be tuning in to future episodes to see what the show has in store.

It certainly seems even better in comparison to the horrible FOX "Brothers". Which I just assaulted my brain with. Ick!

thenewjan

thenewjan

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:14 PM

I have to defend the cool dad character. The shot of him dancing to High School Musical won my heart. And he had some of the best lines in the episode. I just about lost my s-it when he said "Lilly- won't that be hard for her to say?" And when he needed help to get on the couch. Really really loved this show. And good for Al Bundy! Paid those dues...

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:23 PM

I have to defend the cool dad character. The shot of him dancing to High School Musical won my heart. And he had some of the best lines in the episode. I just about lost my s-it when he said "Lilly- won't that be hard for her to say?"

I enjoyed the show, but this line bothered me. It seems like it's becoming more and more "okay" for characters to express racism or make racial jokes on TV, and while at one point this trend seemed sort of "refreshing" (in that people stereotype in real life, so why not show them doing it on TV), it's starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I really think the show could have done without it. (Especially since Cool Dad didn't seem like the sort who would make a remark like that anyway.)

Edited by Milburn Stone, Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:29 PM.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:27 PM

I don't think the "Lily" comment was racist - more just clueless, thinking the Chinese accent is born rather than learned. Same thing if he had assumed a Greek baby would have a problem with "J" or "Ch" sounds, or an Eastern European baby would have trouble with W's and V's. No?

Edited by NicoleMN6, Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:27 PM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:37 AM

But the baby is Vietnamese, not Chinese. And she will be raised in America by English-speakers. She won't have a problem enunciating. I wasn't even born in America; I came here from Vietnam when I was two, and I have had no problem speaking my L's. People are always telling me I speak English well. (Their surprise at this, of course, being another subtle form of racism.)

So I think the cool dad was being both clueless and racist. Whether the writers intended the racist part, or are themselves that clueless is not clear yet. I'll overlook the clunker for the other good jokes, and for the fact that I like Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

The gay couple were the most fun, especially "angry daddy." I hope, though, that he'll get over his need to be more "normal" or masculine as a father. He shouldn't get hung up on such gender stereotypes, and shouldn't try to change himself or his partner.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:49 AM

SportsGuyChestBump still cracks me up.

Edited by Fisher King, Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:50 AM.

guy123420

guy123420

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 1:40 AM

"Lilly- won't that be hard for her to say?"

followed by "come here you lil pot sticker "

good show so far love seeing ed oniel on tv again

Tofu88

Tofu88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 4:17 PM

I thought the episode was pretty good. Had some funny moments and some slower ones. I literally laughed out loud when Phil shot the maybe-boyfriend and when "Circle of Life" came on. I adore the middle daughter (Alex?) because she looks and acts just like a girl I used to tutor, but with more snark. I too was surprised when it turned out they were all from the same family. I think it tied the show together in a way that was needed so it was a nice twist. I'll probably continue to watch it online and hope that some of the weaker aspects get developed.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 6:56 PM

I don't mind the documentary aspect, but I wish they didn't do the talking heads like The Office. Arrested Development also used documentary format, but didn't have to resort to characters actually acknowledging the cameras in order to get a joke. The only part of the premiere where it worked was when O'Neill was reading his kid's letter at the end, and the viewer was led to believe he was speaking from his own heart.