Modern Family: Why The Face?

• Please log in to reply

10930 replies to this topic

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

I thought it was pretty good. I found myself smiling a lot more than I was laughing, and some of the jokes felt a bit flat, but this show definitely has a lot of potential and I can't wait to see the next episode.

I really enjoyed Ed O'Neill and Sofia Vergara (I'm still a little pissed that ABC canceled "The Knights of Prosperity" a couple of seasons back which I thought she was hilarious on) and I liked the gay couple too.

The only thing I outright hated from this pilot was the cool dad. I have a feeling this character is going to really get on my nerves if the writers don't tone him down a little more in future episodes. Also, Julie Bowen's character didn't make much of an impression on me. All I could focus on during her scenes were the different ways they were trying to hide her real-life pregnancy from the camera.

Edited by Catcher22, Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:11 PM.

bajegirl29

bajegirl29

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

I liked the gay family but i found myself distracted by the decor of the show. I absolutely loved the green paint on the walls in the gay couple's home, loved the backsplash on the kitchen in Julie's house and absolutely adored the striped pillows on the sofa for the husband/wife interview.
Don't know if that's bad or good lol.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

Why must networks continue to force white, suburban family angst on me? It's like the people who think the families on commercials are so true-to-life, why not a show dedicated to them?

I cannot remember their names, but I would swear there have been between 5-10 similar shows about upwardly-mobile white people, living in the suburbs, with no real problems, just whining about trying to relate to their kids and "what happened to my life" crap. I can't remember the others, because they all get cancelled after 6 episodes (if they make it that long). I'm not even talking about dramas - just the same 30 minute, single-camera, no laugh track, angst fest. Plus, I would swear that 2 of those other shows starred the "trying to be hip" dad from this one.

The pilot was interesting enough - not great, mind you. But I just cannot care less about any of these boring people, living their humdrum lives of nothing.
  • "Oh, my 15 year old might be too slutty, but I'm too afraid to really lay the law on her".
  • "See how cool I am? I'm not like the other old fogey dads - watch me relate."
...and so on, but I am too tired to care.

And even if I did care, there were so many commercials during this show, I had to strain to watch. Is it just me, or are the commercial beds on ABC ridiculous (at least during this show)? I just don't know if I will be sticking around.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:41 PM

I really liked this. Al Bundy lives! That being said, ABC has a history of rolling out these great, quirky shows with interesting characters and cancelling them. Off the top of my head - The Knights of Prosperity, Carpoolers, In Case of Emergency, The Job, The Naked Truth (yeah, still bitter after all these years). I hope this show doesn't follow them to the tv show scrap yard. I'm gonna do all I can not to fall in love just in case.

Cool Dad is funny just because he ain't cool. I love it.

The Lion King scene was perfectly timed and hilarious.

"Mall-walkers stay to the right". Hee.

I found lots to like about it. I give it: Two snaps! with a twist.

Edited by tvweb44, Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:51 PM.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

Count me in on really enjoying the pilot and finding all the characters very funny. For some reason the whole bee-bee gun payback scheduling made me laugh the most. "Nope, sorry buddy, it's on the schedule." So deliciously disturbing. I want to pinch Manuels chubby cheeks. What a cutie.

Seeing Ed O'Neil, who just makes me laugh with the way he looks in a new show definitely helps. Those hip-hop clothes...wow. *giggle*

SparkyMN

SparkyMN

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 11:03 PM

I didn't really know what to expect but I LOVED it. I found myself laughing out loud many times. I will for sure be DVR'ing this show every week. I seriously had to pause it when the Lion King song came on, I had to catch my breath.

silentwilight

silentwilight

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

LOVED it. I LOL'd a lot!
I already can't wait for more eps :)

kimberly617

kimberly617

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:07 AM

I may be the only one, but was anyone else bothered by the "cool parents" daughter laying on her bed with her boyfriend watching a movie with her door closed. Who knows what was on the computer? Also the way the girl INsisted that the bedroom door be shut when her mother left.

I know this is only a sitcom, but I am so tired of seeing the parents be ordered around by their children and parents allowin this kind of disrespect and behavior.

Still Sammy

Still Sammy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:58 AM

I cannot remember their names, but I would swear there have been between 5-10 similar shows about upwardly-mobile white people, living in the suburbs, with no real problems, just whining about trying to relate to their kids and "what happened to my life" crap.

Agreed. I thought the writing on this was better than similarly themed shows I've seen in the past, and there were some clever lines and genuinely funny bits, but ultimately there was nothing unique about the premise that hooked me. Also, the cool dad made me cringe. And not in a trainwreck kind of way, but more like an "I'm turning the channel until this obnoxious man is off the screen" kind of way.

Definitely not worthy of all the praise I've seen heaped on it the past several weeks, IMO. I actually liked Cougar Town a lot more.

Edited by Still Sammy, Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:59 AM.

crazydaizy3

crazydaizy3

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:59 AM

I loved this. I thought everyone was hilarious and actually has potential storylines that will be funny.

ABC + an actual funny sitcom? Who knew they had it in them!

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:24 AM

I enjoyed it. Modern Family/Cougartown/Eastwick make for a very nice night of television. I liked the cool dad--him singing a song from High School Musical was really funny.

apfam77

apfam77

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:57 AM

i almost fell out my chair laughing when the uncool dad said "Lily? Isnt she gonna have a hard time saying that."

Edited by apfam77, Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:58 AM.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 2:35 AM

i almost fell out my chair laughing when the uncool dad said "Lily? Isnt she gonna have a hard time saying that."

That and "Come here you little potsticker". This show had a lot of one-liners that cracked me up. I like that they're all related, I didn't see that coming. When the gay son said something along the line of "let me take your colorful jacket and bejeweled hat" to Al Bundy I bust a gut because that is exactly how I make fun of people. "Mall walkers to the right" was also hilarious. And when did those little beach chairs get so hard to get out of??? I have the same problem!

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 7:13 AM

Really great pilot. The cool dad did seem a little too "Michael Scott-ish" as someone else said, so I hope the character tones down a bit. Ed O'neill is definitely my favorite by far. I'll watch him in anything.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 8:18 AM

I liked it a lot as well. Only quibble is that the Ed O'Neil with young hot Latina wife seems a bridge too far in believability unless we get more backstory.

I did burst out laughing at the "Lily" comment

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

The only thing I outright hated from this pilot was the cool dad. I have a feeling this character is going to really get on my nerves if the writers don't tone him down a little more in future episodes

Agreed. I realize the humor lies in the fact that "cool Dad" is anything but, however they sort of forced it down our throats. I think a better character would be "out of touch Dad".

Hardly recognized Ed O'Neill (except for his voice). Eat a salad dude.

Lion King, hilarious.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 9:40 AM

"Why the face?" indeed. This was a good pilot, though not a great one. Phil reminds me of Michael Scott a lot, too. This is not a good thing. I'm hoping they tone down some of the over-the-top quality in both Wannabe Hip Dad and Sophia Vergara's (note to Angel Cohn, our Friendly Neighbourhood Recapper: Vergara, not Veraga) character - it sounds like Vergara's working on a Charo impression. (Although I did laugh at "Pheeel" and at Phil's shooting everyone in sight with a hair-trigger BB gun.)

I really believe these people are a family, and I laughed out loud a couple of times. (Not as often as I laughed at Cougartown, which surprised me, but that's for another thread.) Nice to see Jesse Tyler Ferguson back on my tv. He's great. Cameron's "Circle of Lily" introduction was waaaay OTT, but I still laughed. I'll tune in next week.

tellybelly

tellybelly

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 9:49 AM

My partner and I watched it this morning and we both found it pretty amusing. I, for one, am glad the gay couple looks more like the other gay couples we know, rather than like a couple you might see in an ad in Out magazine. I think there's more comic potential in the 'cool dad' once we start seeing how he relates to the world outside of his family. I love the actress that plays Gloria and am racking my brain to think what sitcom she was in that I enjoyed so much but didn't last long. Thank goodness for imdb.

I hope audiences and ABC give this one a chance to develop. I am a rabid Golden Girls fanatic. But I didn't become one until the show started its strip syndication in the late 1980's and had I seen the pilot before getting to know the show, I don't know if I would become such a huge fan because I find the GG pilot all kinds of ragged and trying too hard.

And welcome back, Ed O'Neill. I don't know why but I really like that actor in comedies.

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

I don't consider this at all to be a typical white suburbia mainstream suburbia that's been done a thousand times. Unless I've missed all the shows in white suburbia that have an average looking gay couple with a Vietnamese adopted daughter and an old white dude married to a hot Colombian chick with an adorable Colombian son.

I think the weak link for me is going to be the mother of the "typical" family that can't stand up to her kids as someone else mentioned. Although I know actual families like that in real life, I find it unbelievable that people let their 15 year old daughters spend time with their brand new senior boyfriends in her bedroom with the door closed. But I guess all that makes me is old.

willagirl

willagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

This show put me in a good mood for the half hour it was on so I will continue to watch it. I loved all the characters except for the teen daughter who seemed a little too alienated and bratty for my taste. But she redeemed herself in the end when she and everyone else bonded over the new baby. I didn't expect the show to end on such a fuzzy note, but it worked for me.

vampdeath

vampdeath

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

I liked it a lot as well. Only quibble is that the Ed O'Neil with young hot Latina wife seems a bridge too far in believability unless we get more backstory.

Well his wife said he has a big business and its not like she is 19.

I loved all the characters except for the teen daughter who seemed a little too alienated and bratty for my taste.

She played the same character on "Lipstick Jungle" so she should be good at it.

Edited by vampdeath, Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:31 AM.

TrulyOutrageous

TrulyOutrageous

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:47 AM

I really loved this show! I don't normally like most new comedy shows, but this one had me laughing out loud through the whole thing. The "cool dad" was totally my dad growing up, and he is slowly becoming the Al Bundy character as he grows older. I also loved the Lion King part and the scene on the plane involving the creme puffs.

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:51 AM

Too bad the network had to ruin so many of the funny parts by repeatedly playing them in the promos:
- cream puffs
- this must be your Dad
- what time to shoot Jr.
- cool Dad dancing to HS musical
- etc

Secret Symphony

Secret Symphony

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

I absolutely loved this. I laughed out loud at quite a few moments (loved when the mall cop told Al Bundy that mall walkers stay to the right and the lion king bit at the end. Ha) and I enjoyed all the characters and each individual family. I totally agree with whoever said that NOTcool Dad is very remniscent of Michael Scott from The Office in the way he thinks he's hip and never is and the way he thinks that he's Mr. Popular but is really just Mr. Loser.

I am definitely going to watch this next week.

Too bad the network had to ruin so many of the funny parts by repeatedly playing them in the promos

I learned a long time ago to plug my ears and close my eyes when ABc runs promos or regular commercials for their weekly comedies. They always show all the jokes one after another and ruin the whole episode. If you avoid those, the shows are actually quite funny more often than not.

Edited by Secret Symphony, Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:30 AM.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:04 PM

I don't consider this at all to be a typical white suburbia mainstream suburbia that's been done a thousand times. Unless I've missed all the shows in white suburbia that have an average looking gay couple with a Vietnamese adopted daughter and an old white dude married to a hot Colombian chick with an adorable Colombian son.

Interestingly enough, out of the characters, those are the ones that I liked the most. But it's pretty similar to "Parenthood", where the wayward son returns from wherever with his very own black son.

I watched the show again this morning. While I stand by thinking this type of show has seen multiple incarnations, it's not completely without charm. Really, it's the "central" family that is the most mundane - akin to watching one of those cell phone carrier commercials (dad, mom, 2.5 kids, big house, etc). I suppose they are meant to be the beige baseline, off of which the other [diversity] characters get to play; as such, they don't get to veer too far away from the stale, vanilla, nuclear family plotlines (smart sister jealous of pretty sister, mischevious little brother, mom seeing herself in daughter, and being scared).

But hey, it's not "According to Jim". So, there's that.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:07 PM

I know this is only a sitcom, but I am so tired of seeing the parents be ordered around by their children and parents allowin this kind of disrespect and behavior.

I'd normally agree, but, in this particular instance, it's not being portrayed as a good thing or "cute." It's clearly this specific family's damage that they are so concerned with being their kids' "friends" that they aren't stepping in and being the parents. And we see them, especially the mother, struggle with that issue when their kids cross a certain point (i.e. the 15 year old daughter and her senior boyfriend hanging out on her bed with the door closed). Sadly there are parents like them all over out there.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

Also: Gloria's from Colombia, not Columbia. Sheesh.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:24 PM

I liked when the boyfriend was taken aback by the mom's rant about her daughter with her bra off. It actually for one second made me think the pair were in fact possibly innocent, which hadn't even occurred to me before then. And it REALLY made me want to know what theyw ere watching.

Babies do have a magical ability to slay dragons with their cuteness. The Lion King scene was hilarious, except I did feel like they went too far with the strife between the partners. The joke about the one not being able to turn it off because it's who he is was like one joke too many, and took away from the humor rather than adding to it.

silentwilight

silentwilight

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

Another hilarious part I don't think has been mentioned yet when the whole family goes to see the gay couple and they are saying hello to eachother, Phil tells Gloria she has a nice dress and she says "Thanks Phil" and he feels it and then his wife's like "Phil! Not Feel!"

Also Julie Bowen and her kids? So realistic. Reminded me of my sister and her 3 kids. She does text them to come downstairs btw lol.

Anime Nut

Anime Nut

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 1:02 PM

Anyone else besides me happy to see Ariel Winter as younger daughter Alex? I was really impressed by this actress' work in the last season of ER, so I'm pleased to see her as a series regular in a decidedly more upbeat role.

Seems all the attention has been on Community, but this pilot made me laugh more.