Modern Family: Why The Face?

• Please log in to reply

10927 replies to this topic

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I can't believe the show had a storyline about Jay's (fake) glory days playing high school football and didn't have him brag about scoring four touchdowns in one game. Boooooo!

avid_reader

avid_reader

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I think my favorite part was 'Phil' at the end doing the handsprings.

I loved that when Claire had to admit she lost her keys doing cartwheels Phil's first reaction was "Without me!?" (My fave line of the nght) And then at the end they were doing cartwheels and handsprings together. Sometimes it's clear why they work.

Loved when Cam and Mitchell both decided to just walk away from the bunny and they had the conversation about Mitchell turning out just fine and being a big time lawyer and all.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

I think my favorite part was 'Phil' at the end doing the handsprings.

I liked that, too. I was coveting Julie Bowen's sunglasses.

I could not believe that Cam or Mitchell would even consider giving Bunny back to Lilly after they saw a homeless man snuggling with it. The cough was what changed their minds????

Have you ever dealt with a child who lost her favorite stuffed animal? You do whatever you can to get it back, because the replacement is not the same thing.

Loved Phil's little smile when he realized that the girl Luke's talking about has a crush on him but Luke didn't know it!

I liked that whole sequence a lot. He was realizing he doesn't have to be the kids' friend every second of the day. It's okay to leave them alone.

I didn't see Claire as being bitchy at all. I liked that she decided to take off and drive up the PCH.

I thought she pretty much let Phil see the error of his ways on his own this time.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I liked that whole sequence a lot. He was realizing he doesn't have to be the kids' friend every second of the day. It's okay to leave them alone.

I think he was realizing that he actually enjoys being Mr. Dad in the family car, being with his kids and listening to their kid conversations and generally just being around them -- something he obviously won't be able to have in that little two-seater.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Cam and Mitchell are more fun when they're working together and getting along. I wasn't enjoying the bickering about whhose fault it was that Bunny got lost, nor the part where Mitchell is shooting down Cam's flyers and then Cam was heckling Mitchell when he tried to convince Lily to accept bunny's absence.

But from the moment they "awwed" over Lily saying Bunny had a boyfriend, through their trip back to the subway and their decision to let Lily hate them, I thought they were much more amusing.

I think letting the homeless man have Bunny would have been a kind gesture, whether he has TB or not. Maybe they could have taken a photo and shown Lily that Bunny needed to take care of someone else now.

I liked Phil enjoying eavesdropping on the kids and his reaction to Claire being stranded at the beach. I thought the car plot in general was pretty good. I don't get the appeal of cars one way or the other, but I accept that either people do feel like what they drive is such a big deal to them for non-practical reasons, or that car ads pay for so much TV that a sitcom would promote this notion in a general way.

Jay and Gloria were both getting on my nerves, but I actually enjoyed Manny. I know his schtick is a bit repetitive, but I liked how he was basically cheerful and kept adapting to the changes while Gloria and Jay were being nuts. I thought Manny was actually behaving a lot like Luke usually does, in a way.

I live in a non-town town, and even I laughed at the joke about how "of course we can get you a rental car".... er, no we can't. Where I live, we can't even get broadband internet access, and cell phone service is spotty, and no one from a city believes it. So I like seeing city people cope with what to us is normal everyday "lack of amenities."

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I wish they would play another angle with her sometimes, but I have to say, she is sort of right when she is annoyed at Phil. He got a 2-seater car when they have kids. In someways he is the child and she is the adult.

I had an uncle who always had a two-seater sports car - and they had 8 kids! Different strokes, I guess.

I loved Claire doing the cartwheels and then realizing she had lost the keys. Everytime she does something spontaneous for herself, it backfires.

It was a very transportation-oriented episode: the sports car, the train, the little plane, Jay's car, the helicopter.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I think he was realizing that he actually enjoys being Mr. Dad in the family car, being with his kids and listening to their kid conversations and generally just being around them

That's what I meant. He doesn't haven't to be so active with them all the time. It's okay to just sit back and not say anything.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

I have teenage daughters, and I tell ya, I've learned a lot by driving them and their friends around. They basically forget I'm there.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

The Lily/Mitchell/Cam story reminded me of the book Knuffle Bunny.

I thought the whole ep was pretty good. I think the weakest was probably Jay/Gloria/Manny, but that had funny parts as well. Still, I like that it reminded me of Trains, Planes, and Automobiles. And I LOVED the shot of the small plane taking off, followed by the camera panning over to Gloria, Jay, and Manny sitting in the car. I also loved when Jay told them about catching a train, but it wasn't actually a passenger train, and they would probably have to run, so no high heels, and "Anybody up for a hobo adventure?"

I enjoyed Mitchell and Cam's story, too. Cam sitting on the couch with his eyes open, sleeping, was great. (Has Cam changed his hair?) And as usual there were lots of great lines, all of which escape me right now. I did love when Lily told them Bunny had a boyfriend, and Cam & Mitchell looked at each other and said, "Awwww" simultaneously. Then when Cam got Mitchell the Luke doll (with the short robe), Lily came running by and yelled, "Mine!"

What's Phil's friend's name again? Andre? Anyway, I thought he was used well here, egging on Phil to get the car, running away when Claire appeared, then running away at the end when the subject of his wife came up.

I certainly didn't think Claire was bitchy, controlling, or angry in this ep. She was very reasonable and knew that Phil would soon realize that the car was impractical for him. I thought the sequence where he's driving the kids around was very sweet and terrific.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

I am getting tired of episodes where Claire is bitchy, controlling and angry for 21 1/2 minutes and then there's an "a-w-w" moment during the last 30 seconds where she's sweet and loving. That trick is no longer working for me because she's always back to bitchy the next episode.

How was she bitchy? She was annoyed, you can't help how you feel, but kept it to herself and didn't lash out. She let Phil use her car when he needed it without too much hassle and made a real effort to do errands in the sports car. And then gave into its charm.

She was rightfully annoyed because it was an impractical decision, which was going to impact her life (he needs more room for work, but errands had to be run and someone had to pick up the kids etc.). But she never went off on him about it or anything. It felt very real to me

Edited by Betsyb, May 3, 2012 @ 9:23 PM.

cryyhavoc

cryyhavoc

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Jay and Gloria were both getting on my nerves, but I actually enjoyed Manny. I know his schtick is a bit repetitive, but I liked how he was basically cheerful and kept adapting to the changes while Gloria and Jay were being nuts. I thought Manny was actually behaving a lot like Luke usually does, in a way.

Not me. I thought Manny was being a pompous Jack-ass, he is turning into a little diva with the spa treatments and unecessary amenities. The last straw was the snapping of the fingers for the credit card. I would have taken it out of my wallet and shoved it up ass. I'm glad he enjoys spending Jay's money so much.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

How was she bitchy? She was annoyed, you can't help how you feel, but kept it to herself and didn't lash out.

Claire didn't keep her annoyance to herself. Everybody, including Phil and their doctor neighbour, was well aware that she was seething with barely suppressed anger because Phil had bought an impractical car. Phil's car, not hers, and he didn't blow the family budget, so what's her problem?

Claire really seems to be the kind of person you have to walk on eggshells around.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Phil's car, not hers, and he didn't blow the family budget, so what's her problem?

Because it does impact her, it means he can't ever drive more than one kid and that on days like this she would have to give up her car and maybe rearrange her day because he might need her car to cart around a client or his signs. They are a two car family, changing what one of those cars is and can carry/cart around does impact Claire and the rest of the family. So making that decision without so much as a heads up is annoying particularly when she recognized how impractical the car would be for Phil and his lifestyle, but she tried to contain it.

Edited by biakbiak, May 4, 2012 @ 12:06 AM.

CatsWithAxes

CatsWithAxes

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

I could not believe that Cam or Mitchell would even consider giving Bunny back to Lilly after they saw a homeless man snuggling with it. The cough was what changed their minds????

Have you ever dealt with a child who lost her favorite stuffed animal? You do whatever you can to get it back, because the replacement is not the same thing.

Here's a novel idea: let the homeless guy keep the bunny because... he's homeless. And has no creature comforts at all. And just get Lily another bunny, for freak's sake. If she knows it's not the same one, so what? Tell her the truth about what happened. She will get over it.

I think letting the homeless man have Bunny would have been a kind gesture, whether he has TB or not. Maybe they could have taken a photo and shown Lily that Bunny needed to take care of someone else now.

Exactly - great solution! Too bad self-absorbed Mitchell and Cam didn't think of it. I didn't like them in this ep at all - they're both starting to really grate on me. I did laugh when Lily said "I'm going to St. Louis!" though.

The Jay/Gloria/Manny plot was OK. I generally like Manny but I thought he was a bit annoying in this story. Jay planning on having them all hop a freight train was funny though. I like that Gloria doesn't mind assuming the role of trophy wife when she knows it will be useful to Jay, even though it's not really what their relationship is about.

I loved the Dunphys' storyline though, I think because Phil and Claire both just seemed more adult and less goofy and cartoony than usual. Phil did want the car but was really conflicted about getting it even after he bought it. I didn't see Claire as being bitchy at all, and her drive up the coast was great. Their scene together on the beach is one of my favorites of the series so far.

Edited by CatsWithAxes, May 4, 2012 @ 12:32 AM.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:11 AM

I agree that the Jay/Gloria/Manny story was way less interesting and funny than the other two but that group often has one of the better stories. Both other subplots seemed more realistic to me last night yet were funny too.

I also agree that this was one of the better Phil/Claire, etc, etc plots because they ended up in agreement doing something carefree-the cartwheels (the cartwheels themselves were maybe a little far fetched). Phil being able to eavesdrop while he drove the kids is so realistic and it only lasts if you say nothing and listen!

Maybe you have to have had a kid that was seriously attached to his or her "lovey" to best appreciate that story. Our son's was a bunny and he was saving food for it since it would be hungry when it returned. We then lost the replacement bunny on a bus. We told him some poor child who had no bunny probably picked it up and was taking care of it and he moved on eventually but these are big events in a young child's life. Last thought on this-I would be surprised if anyone really picked up my son's bunny which was very loved and drooled on and the same was probably true of Lily's bunny. That story was one of the best Cameron/Mitchell/Lily stories. All in all, a good episode.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:53 AM

Claire didn't keep her annoyance to herself. Everybody, including Phil and their doctor neighbour, was well aware that she was seething with barely suppressed anger because Phil had bought an impractical car. Phil's car, not hers, and he didn't blow the family budget, so what's her problem?

To me, there was nothing Claire actually said or did to indicate, to the impartial observer, that she was mad. Phil only deduced that she must be mad because he knows her so well and she must be mad because she has to be mad. Perhaps this isn't the first instance where he does something he knows very well she disapproves of and she gives a surprisingly blase' reaction and he knows it has to be fake because there's no way she's not mad at him.

But Claire didn't actually do anything. I mean, I hate to defend Claire because sometimes she can be my least favorite character on the show, but she kept it to herself here.

Edited by Chicken Wing, May 4, 2012 @ 5:55 AM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

Maybe you have to have had a kid that was seriously attached to his or her "lovey" to best appreciate that story. Our son's was a bunny and he was saving food for it since it would be hungry when it returned. We then lost the replacement bunny on a bus. We told him some poor child who had no bunny probably picked it up and was taking care of it and he moved on eventually but these are big events in a young child's life. Last thought on this-I would be surprised if anyone really picked up my son's bunny which was very loved and drooled on and the same was probably true of Lily's bunny. That story was one of the best Cameron/Mitchell/Lily stories. All in all, a good episode.

Mine was a Winnie the Pooh. I left it at a beach hotel once. My dad's secretary's husband was over there and stopped and picked it up. He gave it to his wife, who carried it into the courthouse. My dad carried it out of the courthouse and brought it home to me. I definitely could relate to Cam/Mithcell/Lily.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

It would have been a much better fit for the show's continuity if Lily had lost Doggy (you know, the one that says "moooooooo" according to Mitch) instead of Bunny. Lily carried that thing around everywhere in the first two seasons, and if not then, it was always sticking out of Cam/Mitch's bag.

Edited by quangtran, May 4, 2012 @ 8:36 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

I didn't remember that. Maybe the writers did have "Knuffle Bunny" in mind.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

But what could she do to change that? She didn't say anything, she didn't do anything, she accepted the situation. Beyond somehow not feeling how she feels what could she possibly have done differently? How do you just not feel how you feel deep inside? If you are with anyone for along time you can tell when they are off. But she didn't do anything wrong and was as supportive as possible.

Phil's car, not hers, and he didn't blow the family budget, so what's her problem?

As was shown in the episdoe, Phil is a real estate agent who has to cart around a lot of stuff, which he can't do in that car. And they also have errands and kids to cart around, which they can't do in that car. It did impact her but she was perfectly good about it.

Edited by Cherith, May 4, 2012 @ 8:25 AM.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

But what could she do to change that? She didn't say anything, she didn't do anything, she accepted the situation. Beyond somehow not feeling how she feels what could she possibly have done differently? How do you just not feel how you feel deep inside? If you are with anyone for along time you can tell when they are off. But she didn't do anything wrong and was as supportive as possible.

Claire didn't say anything. Her physical bearing - tight clenched jaw- and her tone of voice expressed her attitude perfectly well without words. Both Phil and the neighbour picked up on it. Claire doesn't "suffer fools gladly" and in her world, everybody except Claire is a fool.

Edited by Lollia Pollina, May 4, 2012 @ 8:39 AM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

In fact I thought that's what they'd do. They'd bring Lily / take a picture, show that Bunny was needed and use this as a teaching poing for sharing and kindness, which she is never to young to learn (and something she'll need tout de suite when her little brother shows up). As it is Lily is a biter and doesn't sleep well, she needs this lesson sooner rather than later.

Says the woman with no children and no intention of having any. (That is to say, my opinion).

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

I agree with this. You feel how you feel and it can't be helped. If you're mad, you can try your best to hide it and be supportive though and I think Claire did that. Maybe not well, but she tried.

Edited by Dilandau, May 4, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

CatsWithAxes

CatsWithAxes

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

In fact I thought that's what they'd do. They'd bring Lily / take a picture, show that Bunny was needed and use this as a teaching poing for sharing and kindness, which she is never to young to learn (and something she'll need tout de suite when her little brother shows up). As it is Lily is a biter and doesn't sleep well, she needs this lesson sooner rather than later.

Says the woman with no children and no intention of having any. (That is to say, my opinion).

Echoed by the guy who has no children and no intention of having any. :)

Maybe you have to have had a kid that was seriously attached to his or her "lovey" to best appreciate that story.

No. I can certainly understand Mitchell and Cam wanting to try to find the bunny so they could give it back to Lily, but in this instance that effort just resulted in more of the contrived petty bickering from them that I really can't stand to listen to anymore. And I was annoyed that they didn't even consider that maybe the homeless guy should keep the bunny just because. And that they were just going to take it out of the guy's hands and probably not even give him anything for it (if they did give him something I'm sure they would have bickered about how much). I thought they came off in a really unattractive light.

these are big events in a young child's life.

Yep. And they happen to every kid, sooner or later.

Edited by CatsWithAxes, May 4, 2012 @ 5:48 PM.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

The only problem I'd see with that is that the homeless guy may not be thrilled to be turned into a life lesson for an upper middle class couple.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

You feel how you feel and it can't be helped. If you're mad, you can try your best to hide it and be supportive though and I think Claire did that. Maybe not well, but she tried.

But she did do it well. Even Phil wasn't 100% that she was unhappy, the kids didn't seem to know and the girls are pretty in tune to their mother's moods. She was angry - and rightly so - but kept it inside so Phil could learn for himself why that car was impractical.
Too bad Phil needs to learn an object lesson like a little kid, instead of intinctively knowing that the car is a bad idea, like a grown man would.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

To me, what was scary to Phil and Andre about Claire's reaction is that she didn't have any. Her quietness was worse than if she had exploded.

The Bullpen

The Bullpen

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

I forget -- when did we first meet Andre? He's not the neighbor Phil met while building the treehouse, is he?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Yes, Kevin Hart(who plays Andre) is Phil's neighbor. Which is why it was so strange that Phil kept offering him a ride home.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I thought Andre lived behind the Dunphys. So, depending on where on the block they each live and the shape of the block, it could be worthy of a ride home, especially if you are Phil and may be looking for a reason to leave.