Modern Family: Why The Face?

• Please log in to reply

10927 replies to this topic

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I thought Walt's change of personality might be linked to something else. He seemed very confused when Phil picked him up.

Anyway, as peeayebee mentioned above, found Gloria's "I donít want to be around when something that tight unravels." Her face was hilarious.

And they are in danger of Joey-ing Hayley by making her too stupid in the search for easy laughs.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I think Walt has changed. He was much more on the ball in his earlier episode; he's markedly less in control of the details of his life. People who are in control don't just "forget" something as vital as oxygen. He's scatterbrained, and he wasn't before.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

I'm wondering if Haley might have been waitlisted at some of those other schools and not realized it, because she didn't read the letters thoroughly enough (especially the one Alex read out loud) and/or didn't understand what that meant at the time? Then again, considering the ridiculousness of the schools she was applying to, probably not. Also, she would have been applying to a lot more schools than just six, and certainly a bunch of safeties closer to home.

But nevermind. It makes a lot more sense for her character and the show to have her stay home and get a job and/or go to community college. I'd love to see her try a few jobs out for size (maybe even with her dad) before ending up doing really well in Jay's closet-building empire. And maybe taking a community college class here and there.

It's going to be a lot harder to figure out how to explain Alex staying at home when the time comes, if the show is still on. Realistically, she would be leaving home to go to a top school. But I guess they made it work for Alex P. Keaton on "Family Ties."

CalAggie

CalAggie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

They just can send her to a JC for a time, save money on tuition, books and expenses. In two years she can find out if college is for her, mature, and at least develop some skills and a A.A. degree. They do the same thing on GLEE with Finn. Many successful college athletes went to a JC first, then made it to a school and was even drafted to NFL. I went to a JC first, did well going to a good university, found out what I liked and did well in, and not being great in science and math was able to take those there, and then got a double BA at a UC, and later an MA.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

I enjoyed the show. There were several laugh out loud moments.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Yeah, Claire and Phil should have sat Haley down and discussed her higher education options with her in a kind but realistic way. She's not a great student -- it doesn't speak to her intelligence in general, it's just pointing out a fact to her. Her grades are apparently not good. They should have advised her that it's fine to apply to some fairly good universities, 'cause you never know, but also to look more into community colleges. Be realistic. They would tell her that there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out a junior/community college -- it gets an undeservedly bad rap, but it's a great option for a lot of people. And since she now has more focus, is more buckled down with doing well in school, there's no reason that she wouldn't keep it up at the community college and have good grades there to transfer to a university. Going to community college would be a good transition for Haley's storyline next season -- she's moving on, but she doesn't have to move out of the house so the household and all the wackiness can continue.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Haley should have started trying in Grade 11, not Grade 12. If I recall with my own kids, the transcript of grades that you submit with an application is from Grade 11, since Grade 12 is only half done when you're applying. For Haley, it was too little, too late.
That said, her trying a variety of jobs next season could provide a wealth of storylines.

I agree that something seems not-quite-right with the show this season. It feels like everyone is overthinking it and the chemistry is uneasy as a result.

It's the old lazy writing, where writers discover that viewers like a character's quirk so they amp it up to overkill, turning them into caricatures. Usually that doesn't kick in until season 5-ish, but everything else these days is accelerated, so why not bad TV writing too?

I like that neither Haley got into college nor did Claire win the election, since the usual sitcom trope would be a last-minute college acceptance and a squeaker win for Claire. However, I felt bad for Claire since she really wanted it and her entire family let her down (as usual). Maybe she didn't have a chance of winning, but they didn't know that. Instead, Cam, Mitchell, Jay and Phil* all screwed up intentionally for stupid or selfish reasons. Now Claire will think that even though everyone worked really hard, she still lost. That's tough for the ego, esp. when it's not true. I agree that Claire on town council would have offered a lot of potential good plotlines.

*I know someone will say that Phil didn't screw up on purpose; that he was at the mercy of a cranky old man. But he's such a bumbling fool, I have a hard time believing that a normal person would take all day to drive someone to a couple of stores.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

I really didn't care for this one. The stuff with Walt was especially bad, as he was nothing like his previous characterization, to the point where I wondered if it was just a different character and they thought we would forget that Phillip Baker Hall had already been on the show.

You mean that was Walt, Luke's friend? I totally did not recall him, and thought he was a new character. You'd think that if Luke was his friend and regularly visited, that he would remind Walt about taking pills and ordering enough oxygen tanks. Luke isn't stupid, after all.

I'm kind of meh on the show now, but I still like Manny. Luke totally kicked down Duane's election sign, and that was pretty cute.

Edited by Cress, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:49 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

You mean that was Walt, Luke's friend? I totally did not recall him, and thought he was a new character.

I remember the episode with Luke's neighbor friend Walt, but did NOT put this old guy into that context at ALL. Until I read everyone's comments here this morning, I totally thought that it was some random senior citizen Phil picked up.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

I loved the "dimpled Chad" joke :D

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

I loved the "dimpled Chad" joke :D

That was a good one!

I don't have a problem with Walt 'changing'. Some might call it 'slipping'. It does happen. And just because Luke is Walt's friend doesn't mean Luke knows about ordering oxygen or taking pills.

CatsWithAxes

CatsWithAxes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

Mitchell and Cam in the car yelling at people over the megaphone had me LMAO, not only because of what they were saying but because everyone was sheepishly obeying their orders without question. I guarantee you they'd get quite a different response in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. :)

The rest of the ep wasn't quite as funny as that, but I still liked it. The "phone bank" scene was great, especially Manny complimenting potential voter Maggie on her "beautiful name", and then securing her vote. Dottie seeming OK with Jay at first and then holding his ballot hostage was also amusing. I have to agree that Walt's carelessness about his oxygen and pills seemed out of character though, based on the last time we saw him.

I liked the resolution of Haley's college plotline, but I really wanted Claire to win the election - I think that would have been a more surprising ending, and a better one. There are a lot of great potential storylines to be had from Claire being a councilwoman - more so than with her being a housewife at this point, IMO. That was a squandered opportunity for the writers, methinks.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I found all ot them to be very obnoxious this episode. With the exception perhaps of Claire, Manny and Phil and, surprisingly, Haley.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

There are a lot of great potential storylines to be had from Claire being a councilwoman - more so than with her being a housewife at this point, IMO.

It's not like the writers fully capitalized this season on the potential storylines that should have come from Claire running for office, though.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

I didn't really see Walt being any different than before, surprise really there is so much discussion over it. Seemed the same kind of crotchety old neighbor

I too find the plotline of Claire running for office kind of pointless and underutilized. And its not like they had a whole bunch of other ongoing plotlines they have been trying to thread in during the intervening weeks either.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

It was a ridiculously long and drawn-out plotline. How long does a typical municipal election take? This plotline began before Christmas and stretched out to the beginning of April.
I agree that allowing Claire to be elected would have opened up the show a little bit and stopped it from being exclusively about the domestic lives of upper middle class families with stay at home mommies (and one stay at home daddy). Perhaps that's exactly why they chose not to have Claire win - it's outside the boundaries of what the writers/producers want to focus on.

Arizhuman

Arizhuman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Someone mentioned lazy writing in a post above relating to exaggerating quirks. I think it goes even beyond that. The writers are sometimes falling back too easily on the fake documentary thing where the characters talk directly to the camera. Instead of the joke or the funny being portrayed, they are telling us that what we just saw or about to see is funny.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I really wanted Claire to win the election - I think that would have been a more surprising ending, and a better one.

It would have been more surprising, but I think it would have been unrealistic. We saw how successfully the councilman pandered to the public. We saw how unsuccessful Claire's appearances were. It makes sense that he won.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

It was a ridiculously long and drawn-out plotline. How long does a typical municipal election take? This plotline began before Christmas and stretched out to the beginning of April.

In Chicago, we had aldermanic (City Council) elections in February 2011. One candidate in our ward (just one out of 50 wards, so pretty small chunk of the city) held his first fundraiser in the autumn of 2009. Then all the other candidates scurried in to declare, since money was being raised, and it was all campaigning, all the time, right up until the election.

And then we had a run-off election in May because no one got over 50% of the votes.

18 straight months of campaigning. I watched this plotline and prayed to move to the Dunphys' town.

Edited by ChicagoCita, Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:48 PM.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Were the names of the first university (which rejection letter was read together) and the last one (which offered a wait-list) mentioned? I only caught the four that she opened alone, UC Santa Barbara, Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern. And speaking of which, now that we know Haley, did she and her parents not grossly overestimate her capacity applying to those universities? Those are rather prestigious universities, AFAIK.

Edited by TV Anonymous, Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:49 PM.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

Perhaps they wanted schools people would be familiar with, and that means they're famous and therefore probably more competitive? A lot of times the best fit in a lower tier is a small liberal arts college instate or nearby, where you get a good education but nobody's applying from across the country.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

I assume they just tossed in "shout outs" to schools some of the writers/production staff probably went to or something rather than trying to make sense.

Were the names of the first university (which rejection letter was read together) and the last one (which offered a wait-list) mentioned?

No, I don't think they did. The last one they seemed to specifically avoid naming, probably to give them freedom in the future.

Of course I kept waiting for the reveal that Alex had lied when she read the first letter as a rejection.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

My guess is that the college that wait listed her is Phil's alma mater and the one they visited.

As I understand it admittence to just about all major colleges is very competitive nowadays. Heck, the University of Georgia is better known for being a party school and our football team rather than academics but the average GPA for incoming freshman this year was around 3.6.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:45 PM.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

I'm not sure why we were supposed to be pulling for Haley to get in to university, since she'd just be taking the place of someone who really wants to be there. She has no interest in academics at all and no career goals that require a university degree. She'd just be going there because it's expected that the children of upper middle class parents go to university. Her parents would be better off to swallow their pride and talk to Haley about what she really wants to do in her life, because a lot of unmotivated students who are just going to university to please their parents just drop out before getting a degree anyway.

ETA Maybe Haley could get involved in her grandfather's business. The second generation doesn't have any interest in following in Jay's footsteps, but Jay might like having someone in the family interested in following in his footsteps.

Edited by Lollia Pollina, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Sing it. Most municipal elections last about 6-8 weeks, which is about 5-7 weeks too long for my taste. But someone posted above about a long process in Chicago, so maybe it's a bigger deal in larger cities?
On Parenthood, a character is working for someone who is campaigning for city council. Yes, this is the character's full-time job and there's a huge fancy office with all sorts of people milling about, plus several college interns. And this went on for almost the entire season, so maybe in Hollywoodland, municipal elections are the same as running for governor.

Regarding Haley's future, it would have helped if she had actually worked somewhere, anywhere, to make it more plausible when she eventually lands a job. She also doesn't seem to do volunteer work or is involved in extra-curricular activities, so why is she so surprised that no college wants a child who seems to sit around all day?

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

And speaking of which, now that we know Haley, did she and her parents not grossly overestimate her capacity applying to those universities? Those are rather prestigious universities, AFAIK.

I know the Dunphys aren't hurting for money, but it also doesn't make sense that she apply to a school like Northwestern because they (and most big schools) charge a hefty non-refundable fee, mainly I think to weed out totally unsuitable candidates who "just want to see if they could have gotten in." Imagine how many applicants a school like that would get if every student like Haley applied?

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

I know the Dunphys aren't hurting for money, but it also doesn't make sense that she apply to a school like Northwestern because they (and most big schools) charge a hefty non-refundable fee, mainly I think to weed out totally unsuitable candidates who "just want to see if they could have gotten in."

Except for Northwestern, the schools that were named were state schools, which would charge an application fee that would be fairly reasonable. Of course, applying to multiple schools means they add up, but the individual fees aren't outrageous (Northwestern's is $65).

Edited by dubbel zout, Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:55 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Now that I think about it Haley should've applied to community colleges but I guess that wouldn't work as well since a number of viewers probably aren't as familiar with community colleges.

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I only caught the four that she opened alone, UC Santa Barbara, Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern. And speaking of which, now that we know Haley, did she and her parents not grossly overestimate her capacity applying to those universities?

Of course they did. They also didn't follow the golden rule for getting into a UC: apply to at least four of them. She also, apparently, didn't apply to any of the next tier California schools, the California State Universities, like Long Beach or Fresno (Phil's alma matter).

But most surprisingly for Haley, she didn't apply to any party schools!

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

I don't know, have you been to the University of WI in Madison? I'm pretty sure Haley would have been partying it up there!