Modern Family: Why The Face?

• Please log in to reply

10944 replies to this topic

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 10:35 PM

Comparisons to The Office and Arrested Development are probably inevitable, but I think this might owe something to the "Real Families" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.

AddiesRedArmy

AddiesRedArmy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 4:49 PM

I thought that Parks and Recreation had already filled the quota for bad ripoffs of The Office.

Comedy is either built on making fun of stereotypes, or around improbable characters. When you go for the stereotype, you must make sure that the jokes are original. That there is an original point of view on the stereotype. Not the case in this show, where we have seen the stereotypes, and the jokes before. Done better, too.

Probably be an buzz hit due to the loud, militant support of the gay community that will stand behind a gay couple shown adopting a child, independent of the quality of the show. All the Goode Family kind of people will also claim loving the show. ABC will be accused of discrimination when it cancels it by mid-season.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 5:42 PM

Probably be an buzz hit due to the loud, militant support of the gay community

Because that worked so well for shows like It's All Relative and The Book Of Daniel. IMO, any early cancellation will more likely be the result of some right wingnut mobilizing his fanbase to bombard ABC with outrage-filled letters - independent of the quality of the show. If the show is good, it will deserve to stay on the air - if not, it will deserve to be cancelled. Any pre-airing conjecture at this point just politicizes one of the upcoming entertainment options of the new television season. If people don't like it, they'll watch something else.

yinyang004

yinyang004

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 6:57 PM

My initial reaction is: somewhat obnoxious with the stereotypes, but mildly interesting towards the end. I was surprised that they were all one family, because that wasn't the impression I got from the commercials I've seen. But, I don't watch ABC often, so maybe I missed that. (Spoiler tags in case I'm wrong and it's not a well-known plot detail.)

Honestly, I don't know if I'll be tuning in once the season starts - I have school and work, and not a lot of time left over, and I'd rather stick with my established shows than try to make room for a new one. I'd give it a chance if I had a TiVo, though.

chris93

chris93

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 8:49 PM

I was not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. I will try to make room for it on the DVR (no more U-verse for me unfortunately so I am at the mercy of Time Warner), but if there isn't something else I DVR on, I will give it a shot. I honestly don't expect it to last past the mid-season point (look at ABC's track record with new comedies), but I will enjoy it while it lasts. I was happy to see Ed O'Neill in the cast. Gotta love some Al Bundy!

FaithW

FaithW

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 9:15 PM

It's so impossible to be completely objective. I wasn't expecting much, and therefore, was pretty entertained easily. At the beginning, I thought it would just be one of those shows that tried a little too hard.. and maybe it is... but I laughed a couple of times, and will definitely watch at least one more episode.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 1:02 AM

Same as FaithW & chris93 : I had absolutely no expectations for this, considering I have yet to find anything worth my time in the upcoming new shows that have leaked so far, but this one kinda worked.

At the very least i'll be there for a couple more episodes.

Dymond4171

Dymond4171

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:41 AM

Echoing on FaithW & chris93...I had no expectations of the show...however I laughed often with this premiere.
My only complaint is the Anal Wife and "Hip" Father. Is he trying to be sterotypical of a African-American or other culture with his talk and "Son" verbage. "Dad" can be hip without trying to be "black". Why is it that main stream execs see "hip" as in acting black or pants sagging down, or the bejewelled hat.

I absoultely LOVED the gay couple especially the Lion King addage. I was laughing so hard at work, my co-workers were wondering what I was watching. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

Ed Bundy and his young wife...eh ok...

I'll give this show another watch...but don't see this lasting longer then the first season.

Edited by Dymond4171, Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:43 AM.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:05 PM

I'm going to join the chorus of having no expectations but I rather enjoyed this and actually had a couple of laugh out loud moments which is unusual for me for the recent comedies I've seen. I was also thoroughly surprised that they are all part of the same family so that was a fun moment for me as well.

I'll give it another shot but it's got a tough road to hoe with the recent ratings ABC has been getting with their comedies. Still this is better than some of the comedies they've tried in the last few years.

Edited by SanLynn, Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:06 PM.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

Ed Norton's going to be guessed starring, so that should get them some attention.

I liked the pilot a lot. Definitely going to keep watching.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:30 PM

I'm very confused. Everything I've read says that the first showing of the pilot is scheduled for September 23rd on ABC. Has it aired already? Or has everyone already found it through "other means?"

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

giovannif7 I received a TWOP newsletter in my e-mail with a watch link to ABC and a password. I would love to PM it to you but I deleted it after watching. I think you might be able to access it somehow by clicking on one of the "watch now" links on the Modern Family adverts that have been gracing some of the TWOP pages this evening while I've been browsing.

Edited by SanLynn, Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:53 PM.

No Time

No Time

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

It was okay. But...why settle for okay when there's other comedies that have proven you don't have to? Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Friends, etc.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:54 PM

Thanks SanLynn - I guess it doesn't always pay to click the "no newsletter or email" buttons when signing up on a website. Or to ignore the banner ads completely. I'll see if I can track down a link.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

I liked it. The older daughter is going to grate on me for sure though. I know it. I got upset from the moment she asked why didn't the parents just text her and it didn't get any better.

kia112

kia112

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:44 PM

I enjoyed it. I'll definitely try to catch more episodes, especially with Edward Norton popping in. The pilot of Arrested Development was okay for me (same as this show), but little did I know of the greatness that lie ahead. I hope it's the same here. I think I like the gays the best.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 6:03 AM

I remember I saw a promo a while back and found it laugh out loud funny. So I had somewhat high expectations due to the major praise it had been getting from critics and the giant-ass banner here with the Variety quote calling it the "best comedy pilot in ages" or something to that effect. So fancy my surprise when I checked my e-mail to see TWOP had some hook-up that let us watch it online for free (And that was kind of awesome. So thanks TWOP and ABC.)

Basically I didn't hate it, but I wasn't blown away either. A lot of the jokes were predictable or not-that-funny within the full context of the show. Nothing really blew me away about it. I'm also kind of stretched to see how it would be sustainable as a series without constantly hitting the same notes/jokes over and over again. Anyway, I guess the rest needs to be spoiler barred.

I did laugh at the Lion King though, which was hilariously timed. I also found the throw-away line "You called her Lily? Won't that be a little hard for her to pronounce" funny. The BB gun joke made me laugh as well, I'm easy like that. I also liked the Father/Grandfather laughing at his step-son's letter/paying it out towards the end. The reveal that they were all one family surprised me too. And I laughed at it because it struck me as cleverly done. Julie Bowen didn't make me laugh once in this though, but it's nice to see her getting work.

So I'm not sure if I'll check it out. I personally found Community funnier.

Edited by boewyr, Sep 11, 2009 @ 6:04 AM.

AnnaRose

AnnaRose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:41 PM

I had no expectations and ended up laughing out loud quite a bit, which surprised me. I plan to watch this one. Thanks for the preview TWoP.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2009 @ 5:34 PM

So, Shelley Long is going to show up (according to the latest EW) as the ex-wife of Ed O'Neill.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2009 @ 11:12 AM

Loved it. I'm still chuckling to myself at the intro of the baby to the Lion King music.

kavan30013

kavan30013

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2009 @ 5:11 PM

I had no interest in the show whatsoever, but the pilot was very good. I laughed and was interested to see what happens next. The actors were all excellent and I thought the writing had some nice throw away bits. Pilots by their nature can be less than clear about how the show will evolve, but this had enough good bits to make me want to watch.

Quoll

Quoll

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

I found it fairly entertaining, though the family w/ the 'cool' dad was a low point imo.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 12:45 PM

Saw the pilot and wasn't too impressed. I had to force myself to continue watching all the way through.

I had attended a taping of a pilot for ABC starring Leah Remini and frankly, I am shocked ABC picked this show up, but not the one with Leah.

divafashionista

divafashionista

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 3:12 PM

Missed the online "Special Invitation Sneak Preview," but from the ABC.com promos, MODERN FAMILY looks suspiciously like a live action version of THE GOODE FAMILY, an animated summer filler. It didn't exactly scream, "Must See TV," but it does have Julie Bowen, who was wonderful on BOSTON LEGAL.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

I loved the pilot. Will definitely be DVRing this.

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 8:38 PM

I didn't really have any expectations going in, but I enjoyed myself. Pilots are always a little rough, but I thought it was pretty good. The Lion King baby reveal made me spit soda all over my carpet. Thank God it was sprite.

emjohnson03

emjohnson03

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 8:41 PM

Very funny!

The dad trying to be cool was getting a little much but I did love the throwaway segment while the credits rolled. Found that entertaining!

Totally laughed at the Lion King bit. The gay couple were very funny! Loved the horrible painting in the baby's bedroom!

Ed O Neil was great as well was the step son. He was too cute.

Hope ratings are good based on the praise of the show or this could be a short series! Hope not!

Def be tuning in next week!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 8:43 PM

Jesse Tyler Ferguson aka Leaf Coneybear! Fantastic.
Ed O'Neill's stepson is unbelievably adorable.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 8:49 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this show, particularly the connection between them all which I somehow missed during the promotional barrage. The cool dad and Al Bundy look to bring a lot of laughs.

bahamarita

bahamarita

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. Quite a few laugh out loud moments. Phil reminds me of Michael Scott. A lot.