S6 - Bryan Voltaggio: He's Serious Competition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

446 replies to this topic

loud

loud

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 7:05 AM

Bit suprised there isn't a thread open for either of the brothers, but here we go for Bryan. A friend of mine ate at Bryan's restaurant, Volt, a few months ago in the Kitchen table and raved about the 21 course tasting menu. He also noted how calm and serene the kitchen was and that Bryan is obviously a well respected leader of his crew. I saw the pictures and read the blog post and was salivating for days afterwards. When I heard he was going to be on TC, it was obvious they were raising the bar on cheftestants this year.

I like Bryan's attitude so far on the show - he comes across as serious but obvious a real student of cooking. Oh, then there's the fact he's hot.

The sibling rivalry thing is probably being played up a bit much, but no huge suprise on that one. The edit monkeys will probably beat it to death until we're ready to strangle both of them, but with the magical food they are creating, I think I can forgive.

wlk68

wlk68

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 8:49 AM

I like Bryan's attitude so far on the show - he comes across as serious but obvious a real student of cooking.

Agreed. His quiet, calm and focused demeanor remind me of Harold from S1 and I just adored Harold. I really hope that Bryan is with us right up to the end. At least final four if not the winner. *knocks wood*

Oh, then there's the fact he's hot.

Can I get an Amen? Yet another reason that I hope he's with us right up to the end.

nannerbadnanner

nannerbadnanner

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

His quiet, calm and focused demeanor remind me of Harold from S1 and I just adored Harold. I really hope that Bryan is with us right up to the end. At least final four if not the winner. *knocks wood*

Exactly. I loved Harold, and Bryan reminds me a lot of him. Plus, he really is the cutest contestant they've had since Harold.

gilaymar

gilaymar

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 1:19 PM

I like the fact that he's focused but his personality seems so dry and sterile.

wlk68

wlk68

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

Harold came across that way too. I can't recall him ever cracking a smile...up until he won, that is. He didn't get involved in any of the drama, he just focused on the food and performing well. He was just quietly there, doing his thing. The same (so far) with Bryan. I get the impression that underneath that reservered exterior is a man who is very passionate about what he does. Let Little Brother Michael be the exuberant one. I like Bryan V just as he is.

sunshine2288

sunshine2288

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:15 AM

I noticed that too but then my purely shallow side took over and I decided I didn't care because he's cute.

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 2:04 AM

Yeah, but of the two brothers, he's the married one. <sigh>

wlk68

wlk68

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 1:22 PM

Because my obsession with Bryan V knows no bounds, I found this little tibit whilst scouring the web for stuff about him:

"Voltaggio doubles as pastry chef, and his breads are across-the-board wonderful—the scallion biscuits sublime. Desserts have their moments, too, namely the dense hazelnut-chocolate pavé, the tangy goat-cheese cake with vanilla poached figs, and the bonbons that appear with the check."

Seriously? He doubles as Volt's pastry chef? I am now even more impressed with him than I was before. Scallion biscuits? Goat cheese cake and vanilla poached figs? Mmmm! *insert Homer Simpson-like drooling here*

The full review can be found here.

Edited by wlk68, Sep 3, 2009 @ 1:53 PM.

nannerbadnanner

nannerbadnanner

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 1:33 PM

Good find, wlk68! He keeps impressing me more and more. I really hope he whips out a magnificnet pastry at some point. If he and Jen C. are together during Restaurant Wars, it may be all over. Plus, he's pretty!

Edited by nannerbadnanner, Sep 3, 2009 @ 1:35 PM.

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 6:06 PM

Unfortunately, I think he's the married one. When I was trying to figure out ways to tell the two of them apart, I noticed that he wears a wedding ring and Michael doesn't. Michael also sports forearm tats and wears his wristwatch on his left arm; Bryan wears his watch on his right arm.

Now I wonder what their sister looks like!

frankdbunny

frankdbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

Anyone else think he looks like an older version of Jason Dohring?

oceandeep

oceandeep

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 11:54 PM

Bryan and his brother are the two most humorless cheftestants, ever.

Squeezer

Squeezer

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 7:31 AM

Bryan and his brother are the two most humorless cheftestants, ever.

Yeah, that's true. But somehow I don't care cuz they can cook their asses off. But it wouldn't hurt them to crack a smile once in a while. When Michael won the EC Bryan didn't even react. While they've admitted being competitive with each other, they've also confessed to being each others cheerleader when not going against each other head to head, so it was weird when Bryan looked so deadpan when Michael walked in after the win.

IMCallingIT

IMCallingIT

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 8:45 PM

I see Bryan being around for a while. But I think that he will trip up along the way. I don't see him taking Top Chef.

whydoiwatchtv

whydoiwatchtv

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 2:07 AM

I definitely have not seen this man's top teeth! Not one smile. Yes, he can cook and I see him getting pretty far but "humorless" seems to be understating his personality. I hope he doesn't keep his frozen face on for the rest of his time there. :)

oceandeep

oceandeep

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 6:54 PM

but "humorless" seems to be understating his personality

Why is that understating? Both brothers haven't had a light moment shown since the beginning of the season. I know there's more to come, but laughing, smiling and being at ease don't come easy to these two cheftestants.

Edited by oceandeep, Sep 6, 2009 @ 7:38 PM.

whydoiwatchtv

whydoiwatchtv

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 11:05 PM

That's what I meant, oceandeep. He's even worse than humorless. Humorless was an understatement.

I hope he can learn to crack a smile. I do like him more than his brother, but he can turn off the super.intensity.ray! at any time.

runaway6

runaway6

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 5:48 PM

I don't think Bryan is humorless. Maybe he is just nervous. In any case he is growing on me, because he is very talented and yet humble.

kiacook

kiacook

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 7:57 PM

I think he's just intense - which is not the same as humorless. See the grocery store scene where he and Michael are bumping into Jen and Mike I. They're just "dry" is all.

houseofmine

houseofmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

I felt so uncomfortable when this guy finally cracked a small smile upon winning the French Cusine elimination challenge. It just seems so forced, so unnatural. I just tune out every time he comes on the screen. Sure, this is a cooking competition, but part of it is also TV. He just doesn't have the personality for it.

smp18

smp18

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:05 PM

I don't know, I thought the smile and the little laugh after the win were awkward but endearing. It was nice to see another expression besides "deadpan" and "intense focus", even if the smile could use a little practice.

Or maybe his hotness and the awesome voice are just blinding me to the creepiness.

ayako38

ayako38

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 12:15 AM

I think Bryan is just a serious kind of guy. Even while competing in the Slice & Dice Ice Cream Competition he was serious but he smiled after he won.

bassettbose

bassettbose

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

Is this guy's last name Stepford? He not only doesn't have any inkling of a sense of humor, but just seems so robotic - and boring. A big yawn.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2009 @ 4:06 PM

I felt so uncomfortable when this guy finally cracked a small smile upon winning the French Cusine elimination challenge. It just seems so forced, so unnatural.

There are quite a few people who don't look natural when they smile. Their smiles come across as strange and make them look odd. Bryan most likely has been told this and doesn't smile. Either way I think he's cute, and I like that he's serious. His talent speaks for him. Not everyone super talented is Mr Personality. The casting people for Top Chef saw something in him other than his talent.

loud

loud

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2009 @ 10:49 PM

I find it amazing that so many people find him humourless - okay, he's not a "colourful made for TV" characature like Mike I., but I he strikes me as sweet, shy and a little dorky. Younger brother Mike Voltaggio is more what I would consider "intense". Either way, both are very passionate about their work, and that comes across loud and clear. Bring on more respectful, passionate and shy guys instead of more moron "characters" please.

Just like this season is more about the food, I'm stuck how the V brothers are more about the food.

kubiac

kubiac

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

There's a video on the Bravo site called "After-Hours Complaints" and the gang is bitching about the hours and stuff like that and Bryan V pipes up to say, "I have absolutely no complaints. Look at this place! And the other day someone folded my laundry." I think both of the Voltaggios are good people. They have character, intelligence, talent and an incredible work ethic.

Now that I can finally tell them apart, it's clear that Bryan is the typical first-born. He's more classically good-looking and much more conservative than Michael (black dress shoes versus Chuck Taylors, wedding ring versus hippie beads and tattoos), but I think all in all probably a wonderful big brother to have.

Nagem983

Nagem983

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2009 @ 4:37 PM

Link to my review of my lunch at Volt

I ate at Volt today! Read the post I made on the other topic above. It also says a little about Bryan. Apparently they give him a hard time at the restaurant because he never cracks a smile on the show and he isn't like that in real life. Our waitress said he is definitely nervous and won't watch when they set up the projector outside to watch the show on Wednesdays. She said that he can be serious and get angry in the kitchen but he is nice and smiles and they all really seem to like him. She said that he and his brother are very different (I don't know if she meant cooking or personality but I think a little of both).

Anyway two thumbs up on Volt and I might be biased now towards Bryan to win. Which could be a death knoll for him. But hopefully not! (my faves don't tend to win though). Oh and check out his restaurants website if you want to see a more natural smile from him. He looks much better in the picture there and more relaxed.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 12:13 AM

I'm not surprised that Bryan is pulling ahead of his brother Michael. They share similar abilities. They even mentored under the same chef (Charlie Palmer). But, Bryan has a couple more years cooking experience. Plus he's opened his own restaurant and created a menu.

I expect this competition to be very close. These two should be in the top 4. I'd give Bryan a small advantage based on his EC wins.

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 17, 2009 @ 1:57 AM.

runaway6

runaway6

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 10:40 AM

I hope the V brothers are in the top 4. They seem like terrific cooks. Bryan is starting to show more personality. Maybe now that he has won some elimination challenges, he can open up more. Either way, it's a joy to watch him cook.

flowerchild

flowerchild

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

Nobody's mentioned it (at least, not in this thread), but as part of his eat local philosophy, Bryan has twice done a sort of quick-fire cookout at the Frederick farmers' market this year. He shows up with some relatively basic cooking equipment and then creates a full meal of things he can find at the market that day. Luckily that market has a butcher (beef, pork, lamb, chicken and even goat!), a dairy (milk, cream, cheese, yogurt, etc), and a goat cheese vendor. He seems quite nice, and people that have tasted the results have been impressed.