S6 - Gordana Gehlhausen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

46 replies to this topic

Vian

Vian

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 12:59 AM

Funny how people have frequently misidentified Gordana as being German, but her shop bio says that she went to college in Germany.

I've been fascinated by the little tidbits she's dropped about her past, and then just a moment ago (while Googling to see if "Gehlhausen" is as German as it sounds) I stumbled across this fabulous article:

Part 1
Part 2

Wow.

aquamarine9

aquamarine9

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 1:15 AM

Bringing this over from the episode thread:

I agree with the posters up thread that her designs were never very strong, and they were very hit and miss.

Here's an interesting exercise: Head over to Project Rungay, pull up all the posts about a particular designer (they have keywords) and view their body of work across the show. Gordana had some good work in the front half of the season, and still had some good entries in the back half.

I looked at Gordana's score card for the season and I contend that she didn't show the consistency or strong designs that would've given her a place at Fashion week. For the first six challenges, she was 'in' for three challenge and in the bottom for three challenges. Being 'in' is not the same as having a strong design. For the last five challenges before being aufed she had one win and was in the top three twice, so I think she was finally getting more confident and doing better work, but it was too little, too late.

I thought Gordana's last dress was her best, but it was still middle of the road stuff for me. Pretty, but nothing spectacular.

Edited by aquamarine9, Nov 8, 2009 @ 1:17 AM.

LilaFowler

LilaFowler

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 7:36 AM

For the first six challenges, she was 'in' for three challenge and in the bottom for three challenges. Being 'in' is not the same as having a strong design.

In defense of Gordana, she had some truly strong, winnable looks in the first half of the season that were overlooked by the judges- perhaps due to the sheer number of designers and looks being put out. So to simply make it a matter of wins/losses/place doesn't tell the whole story.

aquamarine9

aquamarine9

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 8:55 AM

In defense of Gordana, she had some truly strong, winnable looks in the first half of the season that were overlooked by the judges- perhaps due to the sheer number of designers and looks being put out. So to simply make it a matter of wins/losses/place doesn't tell the whole story.

Fashion is subjective and what looks good is up to everyone's individual taste. In Gordana's case, I agree with the judges in most, but not all of their decisions about her designs.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:28 AM

Being 'in' is not the same as having a strong design.

Which is why I looked at the designs rather than the judging results.

1 Red Carpet: green dress with geometric bodice
2 Maternity: sleeveless top, leggings, cardigan
3 Surf/Avant Garde (teamed with Nicholas): macrame top, wrap pants; lace hooker
4 Model Clients: woven center strip dress
5 Newspaper: tiered skirt dress
6 Costume: "flapper" dress
7 Blue INC (teamed with Irina): V-neck top, skirt
8 Wedding Remake: banded dress with shredded edges
9 Bob Mackie: cream thing
10 Locale: grey dress with necklace
11 Companion to Best: grey jacket, skirt
12 Getty: gauzy dress

Her placement in the newspaper challenge is, I contend, utterly bogus, especially given her technical skills (and the unfortunate mess by Louise that escaped censure) and the lace hooker outfit was undoubtedly the work of Nicholas.

Regardless of how the judges placed her, I think she did well in challenges 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10 and 12; her half of challenges 3 and 7 were acceptable (in fields of suckitude); challenge 6 missed the mark as costume but was a fine dress. The only times she really biffed were challenges 9 and 11.

ETA: Link to her Spring 2010 collection. None of the contestants this season are anywhere close to "great" designers, but I do think the finalists are a fairly generic lot. Gordana at least has a distinct perspective.

Edited by IttyBittyFlavur, Nov 8, 2009 @ 4:26 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 12:07 PM

I thought her red carpet look was interesting, quite pretty. The rest? Meh. I did like the idea of the grey dress with necklace, but the execution was a little off to me. I don't know why she's been singled out as a great designer receiving undue criticism (that comment is not directed at any one personally). To me, she's a good designer who didn't do that great on the show. The criticism she received didn't seem all that harsh to me, I doubt I'd have thought a thing of it if I didn't read about it here.

I admit the "good job this time" remark was assy - but imo it wasn't mean like riding Nicholas until he said he was lucky to have immunity.

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Nov 8, 2009 @ 12:14 PM.

BorkBork

BorkBork

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:14 PM

In Vian's links above, there are some even better designs by Jordana at the bottom. Page 2 has an especially good slide show. I think she really would make a great red carpet look.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 6:17 AM

Her placement in the newspaper challenge is, I contend, utterly bogus, especially given her technical skills

I agree, what the hell was that all about, I certainly thought she was at least in top 3 or be the winner. I don't get their criticisms of her outfit, it looked like a dress........uhmm...okay....that's what the fecking purpose of the whole challenge. It destroys the meaning of making an outfit out of paper if it's just going to look like freaking paper on the model. Sure they think it's boring (I loved the way she make the colors look like real fabric color), but didn't even give her props for making it look real.

Edited by Jon N, Nov 10, 2009 @ 6:18 AM.

BorkBork

BorkBork

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 9:27 PM

Chris March comes out on the PR Website in support of Gordana.
http://www.mylifetim...hris-march-blog

canasian

canasian

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 9:54 PM

Posted on the Goga facebook page, from the companion piece challenge:
Gordana's look without the jacket

They never showed this for even a few seconds during the episode, but I quite like this. The layers of the skirt (which was barely noticeable in the final look since the jacket was really the focus) harken back to the original look with the bias strips, but with the finished edges more "sophisticated" like she'd intended. She just needs to add some frayed edges to the top and maybe make the neckline a little asymmetrical, and ditched the jacket altogether, she would have been fine.

Edited by canasian, Nov 10, 2009 @ 9:55 PM.

Vian

Vian

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 4:16 AM

I thought the jacket was pathetically floppy and communist-looking, but OMG, there was all that work underneath it? I'm still not in love with it, but taken all together, I can see it as an okay-ish entry now.

Red Rabbit

Red Rabbit

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 4:50 PM

The basic shape of the jacket was great, it just needed to be less drab in design and color.

I :heart: Chris March. They should boot Heidi and have him on the judging panel.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Poor Gordana got the edit of doom in this week's episode.

I actually liked her dress, but agree it wasn't what the challenge asked for.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

• Interests:Chicken wings, igloo building, loganberry, etc. (you know, Buffalo stuff)

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

Gordana was too normal to be on her season and WAY too normal for all-stars.

I liked her dress a lot but I agree that it was bad for the challenge. It does look like something Miss Piggy would have on during the muppet show and it was really pretty, but it wasn't the "show stopper" type of thing they seemed to be looking for. I'm bummed to see her go because I thought she was off to a good start this time out.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

I liked Gordana's dress the best of all. I think it should have won. It was deceptively simple but would've looked great on Piggy.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 4:09 AM

As always, she remains a class act - one of the classiest exits in a season that, IMO, is building up a reputation for class and camaraderie (well, maybe not Mila). I agree with the judges saying it was 'a pretty dress' but not much more, and they were looking for splashy and outrageous. Which probably saved Austin, along with his construction skills, because while it was fugly, I suppose it was 'outrageous'.

Sorry she didn't do better this time - I thought she had a real shot with Heidi not doing All-Stars, since Heidi seemed to really, truly HATE Gordana during her season - and I've never really known why.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

• Interests:Chicken wings, igloo building, loganberry, etc. (you know, Buffalo stuff)

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Sorry she didn't do better this time - I thought she had a real shot with Heidi not doing All-Stars, since Heidi seemed to really, truly HATE Gordana during her season - and I've never really known why.

That's funny that you say that because I always thought the same thing. The rest of the judges seemed to at least respect her design and sewing skills even if they didn't prefer her aesthetic to the other contestants. Heidi just hated her.

I think that Gordana's work is super respectable and marketable but I just don't think telelvision is a great fit for her. She almost always makes a very tasteful and stylish piece to show on the runway and she is one of the few designers who always makes something you could actually visualize a person wearing in public. Unfortunately, that aesthetic combined with her even keeled personality sort of makes for shitty television.