2-10: "New World In My View" 2009.08.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

388 replies to this topic

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 7:58 PM

(Yahoo says:) Sookie, Bill and Jason return to a Bon Temps turned upside down by Maryann. Lured to Merlotte’s by Arlene, Sam and Andy find cold comfort in their refuge from a group of bloodthirsty revelers. Bill discovers that traditional vampire techniques don’t work on Maryann; Hoyt and Jessica try to keep a lid on Maxine’s madness; and Sookie tries to push through the darkness consuming Tara. With all hell breaking loose, Jason takes the bull by the horns to rescue Sam, at least for the moment.

RULES:

Okay, this is not your blog; it's a conversation. We keep the threads closed until the episode has aired so that you'll have something to add to the conversation. Please don't publish those live-blog sorts of posts -- you know, the ones that just look like you kept a window open and took notes while watching.

Learn site rules. They're pretty common sense and easy to find. I'll make it even easier. They're here and here.

RECAP ETIQUETTE: Please don't say anything about a recap that you wouldn't be allowed to say about another post; don't say anything to/about a recapper that you wouldn't be allowed to say to another poster. You can politely disagree all you want, as your focus is the show, and as long as you abide by site rules. If you have something to say to Jacob that doesn't fall within site rules, e-mail or PM him, just like you would any other poster.

Responses to the recaps can be a great jumping-off point for conversations that really are about the show, and not the quality of the recap. I want to allow for that, without giving you all the false impression that it's open season on the recappers, because it so very much is not. I don't tend to take action against posts complimenting the recapper, because I don't tend to take action against posts in which one poster is complimenting another.

accw

accw

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

Uhhhh, was that just me or was that like a 40 minute episode (OK, maybe 45, but still....)

tortfeasor

tortfeasor

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

Only 45 minutes? Not cool, True Blood.

Lots of filler in this episode.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Subtract the previews, and that wasn’t even 45 minutes. Boo!

Wow. That was a lot to digest. I’m going to have to watch that a couple more times before I think I can get a grasp on everything that happened.

Yay for continuity pron and Bill’s Book of Mythology! I thought it was too coincidental that they showed him reading it in a flashback. I’m glad they (and Bill) connected the dots. If he’d known exactly what Maryann was, it would have been too much.

I have no idea what Sookie did to Maryann, but I found it a little odd that Bill kept telling her she should do it again. It didn’t particularly seem to hurt Maryann, although it may have dazed her for a split second. But Maryann absolutely got off on it. Maryann getting off on anything is a bad idea, as her powers seem to feed off of her pleasure.

Jason as “The God Who Comes.” Priceless. Even more priceless that neither he nor Andy could understand Sam’s command to smite him. Oh, boy, when Sam has to explain all of that…

I loved the scenes between Lafayette, Lettie Mae, and Tara. If Lettie Mae and Lafayette didn’t outright come to accept each other, they at least appeared to come to an understanding. I liked how they didn’t judge each other, and both accepted blame for what had befallen Tara. That whole family needs healing; those types of intense, intimate situations can often lead to reconciliation. But come on, Lafayette, don’t drink around an alcoholic!

I really, really hope Mama Fortenberry’s blood isn’t toxic. Out of everything that happened this ep., that’s what’s worrying me the most.

The Queen’s got some digs, doesn’t she?

iliveTV

iliveTV

Fanatic

• Interests:Tv, movies, kids...you know stuff.

That was the book Bill was reading in his flashback with Lorena, I knew that would come up again. Good episode.

Edited by iliveTV, Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:02 PM.

Elizabeth67217

Elizabeth67217

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:02 PM

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? I was loving that epidsode, till they cut it off 15 MINUTES EARLY!!! I'm still so mad about that, I can hardly remember the rest of the episode.

Rainjan

Rainjan

Loyal Viewer

Does anyone think these episodes seem to be getting shorter and shorter as we come to the end of the season? It sucks!!

Go get em Terminator Jason!!!

Jason Stackhouse, Andy Bellefleur and Sam Merlotte..what a trio!!! Loved their scenes tonight. Jason pretending to be God and Andy holding the horns up just hilarious!!!

Marl

Marl

Video Archivist

I can forgive the shortness of the episode due to awesome Jason impersonating a god.

I also just want to say that I appreciate this show depicting women on the receiving end of oral sex. What a nice balance!

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:03 PM

First, I woke up the kids when Jessica went to drain Maxine dry, then when the epi ended at 9 freaking 46. What the what?

I liked that there was a view from within the black eyes and that they do have some sort of self somewhere in there. But dang they are gullible to think that Jason is the *God* in which they await. Glad to know that Sam is out now.

edited because woke the kids up from me yelling, not for them to watch

Edited by Energiya Buran, Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:04 PM.

JeffroWU

JeffroWU

Loyal Viewer

Not sure why the episode was so short. Odd. A good place to lengthen it would've been with Hoyt and Jessica; they're off screen for most of the episode and when we come back Jessica has snapped. Seems like it would've been easy to show more of the build up to that.

Also, Sam? Running back to Merlotte's because you get a whiny phone call? Come. On. Also surprised that Bill couldn't sense that Maryann wasn't human right away. Maybe he was just overcome with being pissed.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

THis show really has gone off the rails into complete ridiculousness. Other ethan Sookie's new power and Hoyt's mom playing Bill's Wii, there was nothing of interest in this episode. I was glad it was a mercifully short 45 minutes or so.

Mathematician

Mathematician

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

I'm really beginning to hate the things we *don't* see on this show. I'd like to know what happened after Sookie got off that roof more than I needed to see oral sex.

chigirl16

chigirl16

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

Was it my imagination or was that episode shorter than usual? Overall, I thought it was decent, but I am getting tired of the Maryanne bit and think that this episode was really more filler than anything substantial. Jason was funny with the chainsaw and playing God with Andy holding the horns behind him, but I really can't wait to hear Sam explain how he actually was 'smited' to the two of them...that should definitely be interesting.

The light Sookie gave off was definitely a huge shock to me, and I did not see that coming at all. I just find myself missing the Godric storyline, and I wish we had actually seen Eric and how he is handling the whole Godric dying versus only seeing Sookie's dream...which I'm assuming was only a dream and not a memory she was having, although that would be awesome if that had actually happened IMO.

BC1795

BC1795

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Lordy -- Hoyt's mother! It was like watching a typical episode of "Paula's Best Dishes"!

cosmic1

cosmic1

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

Count me as also annoyed at the short episode. Dammit, I expect at least 55 minutes :-)

This episiode seriously spooked me. It was really scary and intense. My adreneline is pumping now.

I did love Jason pretending to be the god they are all looking for - that was brilliant. And Sam? Awesome move. I'm really starting to warm up to Andy this season. I hope that he really does give up drinking for good now.

I'm glad they got Tara back and I hope it sticks.

I am worried about what's going to happen to Sookie. Maryann is just a little too interested in her. Gran needs to come back from the other side and kick Maryann's ass all the way to hell. That seriously annoys me - Maryann's trashing her house like that. It was bad enough that she was squatting there, but to trash it like that? Not cool.

When they were building the large replica of her statue, I was thought they were building a wicker man like the Druids used to do.

NotTonight

NotTonight

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

This was my favorite episode of True Blood, yet.

I laughed and laughed and laughed. I did not know that when Andy, Sam and Jason are forced in a room together the outcome is... sheer awesome-ness. Throw in Terry, and nothing can top it. "Your god blesses you with good weather and... good crops!" (I think that's the line).

So excited about... Sookie of all people. Finally, she does something interesting. I have no idea what she is, but she it's definitely something amazing. And finally Bill finds his balls. Love how he had to change his clothes and do a badass strut into the Queen's lair. LOL, that is why I love this show. And this is why I'll love Bill forever and ever. My favorite vampire!

I teared up a bit for Tara. That's how you sway me with some REAL, ugly, sloppy tears. Finally, she is back. But, because the family reunion at Lafayette's was so happy and ulplifting... I know it won't last for long.

Edited by NotTonight, Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Gah, the episode was too short. It's suppose to be an hour, that's why we pay for it!

I have to give them a hand; the supporting cast on this show is amazing.

I’ve always liked the character of Eric, but this episode won me over to loving Bill! I'm amazed.

Sookie, or Mary-Suekie is annoying though. Now she’s got glow hands… Jason better, too. The Eric/Sookie scene was also very boring in my opinion. I didn’t mind the Sookie/Tara… but that’s cause Layfayette/Bill & Lettie Mae.

Bill barfing after the Maryann biting, also hilarious. Same with MamaHoyt and the WII.

The team of Jason/Sam/Andy was fantastic. More of them, please. And Terry. I really like what they've done with the character of Sam....

Edited.

“Bullshit, God’s got horns!” = win. And Jason & Andy’s reaction to the smiting, was perfect. I laughed for like 5 minutes after that.

Edited by justsmile, Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:14 PM.

BostonTeaParty

BostonTeaParty

Couch Potato

The whole episode had a very 'Wicker Man' (original recipe, not the Nicholas Cage garbage) vibe to me, with just a dash of zombie movies.

I think the short episode was kind of clumsy. It's not like they cut it by five minutes, it was a full fifteen. Seriously? They could have found a better place to cut?

Loved Jason kicking ass, although I fear that either he or Andy B. will not live to see Season Three due to both of their redemptive arcs. Loved the Sookie dream (Stupid sexy Viking!) and I laughed long and hard over Sookie's "Bill" answer to Jason's inquiry about who she was dreaming about. Heh. I'm also wondering if that maybe what actually happened once she got off the roof with Godric and if not, will we ever see what actually went down?

I'd like to know what happened after Sookie got off that roof more than I needed to see oral sex.

I originally read this as "I need to know what happened after Sookie got off that roof more than I need oral sex." Hee!

Edited by BostonTeaParty, Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:14 PM.

AmaiaIsabella

AmaiaIsabella

Loyal Viewer

Did it seem like nothing happened? It seems like they're waiting for a big "GASP!" moment- maybe the finale will produce.

I like to see Sookie actually using her powers, as it seems the show tends to brush them off unless she needs to use them for the vamps. I'd like to see more how she struggles with the everyday- does she form a mental filter?

Love the smiting (I laughed hysterically), but everything else was just kinda meh, and I knew even the Eric/Sookie moment would be a dream. Sigh. Even if not romantic, I'd like to have seen an Eric/Sookie moment discussing Godric's death. It seems like they're skimming over a lot of the little scenes, as time is moving so fast in True Blood-ville.

Finally, I miss Godric :(

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

Yeah, it was way too short .... but that intervention, I'm just now breathing...

Anyone familiar with that house? I've seen it in a movie before (or maybe House Beautiful) but I can't remember where.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

It was a very short episode. Well, I guess we have the answer now about whether Sam has to see an animal in order to change or if he "saves them up." Now that he has the fly in his repertoire, he can do it at will, otherwise he would have been in really big trouble during Jason's little diversion, unless a fly had come along right at that moment. BTW...Lookin' good in that apron, Sam!

So Maryann was impressed and curious about what Sookie is...hmmm. I know that Sookie doesn't consider herself anything more than human, with a minor mind reading quirk, but I guess that time will tell. At least she was able to get inside Tara, with a little help from Bill. The effect of Tara's eyes returning to normal was really cool. It reminds me of the black oil effect in the X-Files.

So where was Maryann during the Sam "sacrifice?" She wouldn't have fallen for Jason's act..but where was she?

vishakha

vishakha

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Oh man we were gypped out of 10-15 minutes of the episode.

Ah well. I did love Jason in this episode. And Andy as usual cracked me up!!

Sookie's new power against Maryanne was unexpected to say the least.

I was a little disappointed about not being able to see the aftermath of Godric's death. I am still confused as to whether the first scene between Eric and Sookie was a dream or a recollection of something that happened....

Mullon

Mullon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

What I don't get is why they don't just try and shoot Maryann. Of course she would say she's immortal, but I doubt anyone has tested it.

And shame on Sam and Andy for falling for that trick. Haven't they seen any movies?

I wonder if Hoyt's mom is dead.

pandora spock

pandora spock

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

Lordy -- Hoyt's mother! It was like watching a typical episode of "Paula's Best Dishes"!

I hope Jessica didn't catch rabies from her.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

I'm with everyone else who can't believe how short the episode was. Here in Canada the station ran a "fake newscast" updating the week's news for vampires for the additional 10 minutes they seem to have dropped from this episode. No sure if it was station filler or show filler.

Am trying to figure out if that was a dream of Sookie's with Eric or something else. At first I thought okay, she's gone to let Eric know that she stayed with Godric until the end and wants to offer some sympathy. As it progressed I wondered if it was Eric's dream and not Sookie's. Now I really don't know.

As for the ending - pure speculation, but wondering if the Queen has been feasting on something and that's why there was so much blood running down her leg. Wouldn't you think there should have been more of a reaction from her bodyguards/security people if something bad had happened to her?

Dee2

Dee2

Couch Potato

It's not often Jason Stackhouse is the smartest person in the room but when he is it's amazing.

I continue to love The Fortenberrys like a fat kid loves cake.

Moosejaw

Moosejaw

Video Archivist

Didn't anyone else see that news broadcast at the end? It was awesome with the news items on V addiction and the Fellowship of the Sun.

chigirl16

chigirl16

Channel Surfer

I'd like to know what happened after Sookie got off that roof more than I needed to see oral sex.

Me too. I was eagerly anticipating seeing what happens when Sookie left the roof. Did she seek out Eric, did Eric seek her out to see what happened or talk about it? They always continue the episodes right where they left off, and the time I really want to see what happens we get nothing but the dream, which don't get me wrong was nice to see, but I wanted to see what really happened, especially how Eric was holding up. It's like Godric is just completely forgotten, which annoys me a bit.

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Even more priceless that neither he nor Andy could understand Sam’s command to smite him.

That whole scene was fun for me too.

Seeing Maxine as Paula Deen now, thanks! Watching her play Wii was kinda funny too though. She'd be great at the pseudo wicker man pyre thingy party with the hole for Sam's heart (I suspect). But, it seemed that the town zombies seemed more in control, or able to interact more this time than in previous ones?

Did Bill change or just don a leather jacket to meet the Queen who is dead or just fed? Hated the shortness there. Who could she be?

weathernut85

weathernut85

Loyal Viewer

First off, boo to hbo for a shortened epi! But it was a great set-up for the next 2 to come. How awesome was the Sookie-Bill-Maryanne mini showdown? Maryanne was just delighted to be getting attacked by Bill. And very interesting that her blood was black and made Bill vomit. And that weird forcefield thing from Sookie's hand needs some more explaining! There were so many other interesting things that happened in this epi but I know everyone else will comment about those so I'll keep it brief. Let me just say that I love me some Lafayette and leave it to him to have 2 of the best comic relief moments in the episode:

"Jesus and me agree to see other people but that don't mean we don't talk every now and then", and his encounter w/ the coed on the front porch when he put his hand in her face was funny. Of course Bill's quick reaction capped that scene, as well as his lingering stare when Lafayette told him that it was Eric that had him pushing v. I'm sure that will come up again in the future.

I also just want to say that I appreciate this show depicting women on the receiving end of oral sex. What a nice balance!

This was quite the visual!

Edited by weathernut85, Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:29 PM.