What Would Brian Boitano Make?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

478 replies to this topic

hindymom

hindymom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 9:01 AM

This was the most fun I've had watching FN in ages. Brian is so funny, and the food looked good. I hope they can keep this as is, and not try to make him into just another FN "personality".

wackychick21

wackychick21

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

Is the show on for a half hour or an hour? I thought it was from 1 -2 and I didn't have a chance to turn the TV on until about 1:40...it was definitely not on then! Based on the postings here it sounds like the show was great, so I'll definitely have to check it out.

Nannav

Nannav

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 12:01 PM

He was more than a little over the top. I could not even watch the entire show. Hopefully he will learn to tone it down.

NannaG

NannaG

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 12:38 PM

Anyone know if they repeat it during the week? I'd love to catch it on a re-run, it sounds like a very funny half hour.

toolazy

toolazy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 4:28 PM

NannaG, the FN website says it will be on again on Saturday 8/29 at 6:60pm ET/PT.

yosemite209

yosemite209

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 6:07 PM

South Park did an episode where the kids constantly said, "What would Brian Boitano do?" I love that he has a sense of humor & used their theme song for his.

LOVED the show & as like most of the posters so far, I really thought I wouldn't. I will be making the sausage on polenta & possibly the goat cheese & sun dried tomato skewers.

I will definitely be tuning in for the next show.

Chavin

Chavin

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 6:57 PM

My DVR caught only the first 5 minutes of the show and just from that I could tell it was going to be funny. They are replaying the first episode next Saturday (Aug 29 at 5:30pm/Central).
From that clip and reading all the reviews here, I can't wait to watch the whole episode. This show looks like it's going to have great potential!

I loved that they used the South Park song as the opening. And Brian himself was just so funny.

Is that what that was? I was wondering!

For those who want the whole theme song, here is a youtube video of "What Would Brian Boitano Do?".
It came out with the first South Park movie back in 1999, "South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut."
Warning, it's very catchy and you might find yourself singing "What Would Brian Boitano Do" at moments of quandary. :-)

Edited by Chavin, Aug 24, 2009 @ 6:58 PM.

toolazy

toolazy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 10:45 PM

I have to confess to being a little bit weirded out by the worlds-colliding aspect of the Food Network airing a show named after a South Park song. I love it, but it's hard to wrap my brain around.

peanutcup

peanutcup

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 11:22 PM

The difference between Brian's campy or "hyper" behavior is that it is done tongue in cheek and it is campy humor. When I see Melissa, RR or Paula, or Guy, it's done in a way that we are somehow supposed to find these over the top or obnoxious personalities normal endearing.

Also, Brian's food looked amazing. I can't say that for Melissa, Guy or Aaron, the three "stars".

NannaG

NannaG

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2009 @ 5:32 AM

NannaG, the FN website says it will be on again on Saturday 8/29 at 6:60pm ET/PT.

Thanks, toolazy :)

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

• Interests:Cooking, gardening, photography, writing, decorating

Posted Aug 25, 2009 @ 8:21 AM

My fear is that Kermit and Medusa will see that people like this campy style and will of course order twenty clones to fill FN's schedule, because if one is good then more must be better. Sorry, guys, but a little campy humor goes a long way and one show is more than enough for FN.

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2009 @ 8:48 AM

I'm glad EW gave a heads up about this show, I have loved Brian since the Olympics.

But I think I love him even more now, with his little wave to the camera as he was stirring, and saying something like "my quest to get Tony layyy...dies!"

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2009 @ 1:47 PM

I liked it & will watch again. They can ditch the theme evening & stick to Brian cooking for his friends though.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2009 @ 2:04 PM

Doesn't 6:60 mean it's on at 7? ;-)

I suppose you meant 6:30, right?

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2009 @ 2:20 PM

LOVE him. He is hilarious, and, might I add, looks fabulous for being in his forties! I was really surprised at how varied his menu was, and everything looked great! While the polenta and sausage looks like a bit too much work for me, I would love to try it, and I think I'll definitely check out the espresso panna cotta. More of him please!

zoel

zoel

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2009 @ 2:57 PM

My fear is that Kermit and Medusa will see that people like this campy style and will of course order twenty clones to fill FN's schedule, because if one is good then more must be better. Sorry, guys, but a little campy humor goes a long way and one show is more than enough for FN.

UGH! How true! Brian is unique because he is talented, smart, funny AND a good cook! Alton Brown is like this, but I find him irritating lately, and can't stand his show too much anymore. I also find him obnoxious on NFNS. I was glad to see someone else come on the scene who can fill the void that I felt when I stopped watching Alton regularly.

Brian's humor is intelligent and his food looks amazing. FINALLY not some untalented twit yelling at the camera and cooking shit that looks like recipes I would get off of a campbell's soup can, or recipes that nothing special.

It's too bad because IMO FN ruins their good hosts like Rachael and Paula. Even Guy was someone I did not mind when I saw him on NFNS, and they morphed him into the idiotic cartoon that he is.

I have a feeling Brian will not allow that. He doesn't need them really, he is a huge rich star already

I do hope you are wrong and we do not get FN versions of Brian, which of course will be simple minded cooking so they don't threaten the "home cook", dumbed down language and tacky over the top sexual humor. Oh that's right we already have Paula and the Neelys for that!

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

Judging from all the positive postings it looks like Brian is the real Next Food Network Star! I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the show, I know I am. Other than Alton Brown, I've stopped watching FN with their craptastic RayRay, Aunt Sandy the lush, Pauler the ancient floozy, the Neelys (the less said about them, the better), and the ever present Guy the Greaseball.

Brian has been an inspiration to me for decades and I think it'd be hard to find a kinder, more personable celebrity. He's a very special person, not to mention a great skater. It's certainly fun to see him in this new role and the recipes look wonderful. I can hardly wait to try them out. It's great that they're letting him go for the campy humor, it's such a pleasant change from the rest of the line-up. Go Brian!

peanutcup

peanutcup

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2009 @ 2:42 PM

It is sad how they have ruined anyone who was ok, like RR and Paula. Now they are irritating. I used to like Alton, but now he is just a crabby old fart on his show. I don't see the humor anymore, and he is so freaking anal retentive. Yes, Brian is refreshing! He is something that is missing on the FN. He's smart, not talking down to the viewers. He is already a "star", in that he is so good on camera. He is funny and entertaining and different. And unlike all of the lastest "stars" they have picked, Brian has culinary skills! He is not making burned food, or frying potatoes and acting like it is a gourmet meal!

I hate to break it to Tushman and Suzie, but most viewers enjoy seeing someone with a brain and some skills cook. We are not all stupid, afraid of seeing something different, and we also sometimes just like to be entertained, and not by some horndogs or some greasy pig, so we don't feel "threatened".

abowl

abowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

I loved that they used the South Park song as the opening.

Me too!!!! I love that Brian Boitano has totally embraced the South Park bit - it makes him infinitely cooler.

This is the campiest show on Food Network and I completely love it!

Campy is the perfect way to describe this show. It's cheesey and funny and they know it - they're not deluding themselves into thinking they're geniuses. Boitano kind of brings some snark into TV cooking shows - so refreshing! Parts of the show seemed kind of forced and like he was shot out of a cannon to make the first show big; but I think as they fine tune things, this will be an even better show.

polpetti

polpetti

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2009 @ 10:38 PM

This show is unbelievably fabulous. I don't know how the FN let it get on the air. Brian's personality is so fun and snarky and more importantly, the food looks delicious. I just made some Italian sausage today and I'm going to make those polenta bites instead of just putting them in sauce.

It completely melts my heart that his grandmother calls him Guapo which is my nickname for my son. I teared up a little bit at the meemaw awesomeness.

All this show needs is more sparkles. And possibly feathers.

Edited by polpetti, Aug 29, 2009 @ 10:39 PM.

rivahgirl

rivahgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 12:28 PM

At last! A new Food Network show that is watchable, interesting, and involves tasty dishes. I had no idea Brian Boitano was missing from my viewing life, but there he is and he's fabulous.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

I don't know if it's just that the first episode of this show I saw was bacon themed, but I love it so much that I want to take it behind the middle school and impregnate it.

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Good show, interesting, funny, fast paced, but appetizers again. I liked the puff pastry with apples recipe, that looked good, personally I would have left the bacon off, but that's me, a little bit of bacon can go a long way. I am wondering about frying that chicken, wouldn't that have been better done in a deep fryer ?

Wondra

Wondra

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 12:48 PM

I will make all these appetizers. With fall approaching, the baked apple/puff pastry with bacon seemed particularly yummy. I also liked the tip on how to bake puff pastry rounds and keep them flat on top by using a baking rack. Nice.

I like the balance of the show... enough silliness to keep me entertained and enough delicious food to satisfy the tiny chef inside my head.

My only real complaint about the show so far is the time slot.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:04 PM

Thought the recipes in this episode were great ... all that bacon!

But is he ever going to do anything but appetisers? It reminds me of "Mermaids" with Cher -- she only had one cookbook so they ate appetisers for everythng.
;

msstaceyu

msstaceyu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

This is quickly becoming my new favorite show on the Food Network. It is very entertaining and the food looks good. Those fried chicken bites looked really good. They look like a great alternative to chicken nuggets and could easily be a main dish with a nice veggie side.

My only complaint with the show was that after watching the bacon episode, all I could think about was eating a slice of bacon.

2chacha

2chacha

Video Archivist

• Interests:cooking, baking, knitting, playing WoW, watching too much television

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

I also liked the tip on how to bake puff pastry rounds and keep them flat on top by using a baking rack. Nice.

This was ingenious!

I can't remember the last time I watched an episode of a FN cooking show and wanted to make EVERY recipe shown. Now I have to have a bacon party...

Pamster

Pamster

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:19 PM

Carrying on the roller derby theme, the girls all had kitschy names (like Chesty Larue etc.) on the backs of their shirts.
Did anyone else see the name on the jersey Brian was wearing at the end of the show after the credits?
I am 99% sure it was Holden McGroin! And then he made a growling noise.

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Twice, now. The goofy self-snarky humor on this show is superb - it's a tough key to play in, and it's done with perfect pitch. And though I've been following figure skating since Peggy Fleming wore her chartreuse dress, I've never enjoyed Brian Boitano as a skater (though I acknowledge he's extremely talented). My complaint has always been that he takes himself too seriously. Looks like he got over that.

Love it.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:42 PM

Damn, my arteries are snappin' shut just watching! Still, lots of good tips and appetizers. Did anyone think that maybe those bruiser girlz would scarcely be satisfied with 4 bites apiece? I hope he served up more than it looked like he made! Hopefully, we'll move on to more heartier and healthier fare in upcoming episodes.

Still, I love Brian's show. Whee! Did anyone else catch the vintage Boitano move when he tossed the eggshell over his shoulder? [Hint: think Les Patineurs.] Cracked me up!