What Would Brian Boitano Make?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

478 replies to this topic

dovecandi

dovecandi

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 1:54 PM

but there is something so disturbing about seeing a baby pig with it's head in roasting, or even an adult pig.

I agree with you. I generally watch this show while knitting, so I never actually saw if he showed the animal or not.

(I can't handle fish cooking shows either. I don't eat a ton of meat, and when I do I prefer it bears NO resembalance to the animal it was)

Same here. I do not get how people look at a suckling pig dead and roast it. It's a freaking baby animal. I will never get that at all. It's creepy and gruesome for me. Actually I don't know how anyone cooks animals like lobsters alive, or leaves the head on a fish either.

osomarie

osomarie

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 4:20 PM

I love BB. I eat meat, but not very much of it. And I also realize that something had to die to feed me. Just don't want to be reminded if I don't have to be. Does that make me a wimp?

O/T - Just watched a Bourdain show where they placed a live squirming octopus on top of steaming pot of various seafoods and I guess the ultimate pleasure was to eat it while it was slowly squirming and dying.
Good grief.
I don't think I'll ever be that de-sensitivized to some creature's pain for entertainment purposes.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

• Interests:Cooking, gardening, photography, writing, decorating

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 6:20 PM

While I prefer to never have to actually kill the animal (as in lobsters or crabs), I think we would be silly and rather duplicitous to expect our food to have no history other than the moment in which it arrived at our table, looking succulent and tasty.

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 8:32 PM

For a while, I proposed that all meat eaters should be required to slaughter an animal once a year, just to remember where it came from. I kinda gave up on that. But I still say, if you wear leather shoes, you're not a vegetarian.

So WWBBM is over? Is he coming back? Is it not decided? Does anyone know? I think his last two shows were less than stellar, but he'd have to do a lot worse than that for me to not look forward to seeing him again. He's at his best, IMHO, when he's snarking on FN, and that was missing towards the end of this "season".

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 9:07 PM

So WWBBM is over? Is he coming back? Is it not decided? Does anyone know? I think his last two shows were less than stellar, but he'd have to do a lot worse than that for me to not look forward to seeing him again.

Brian's still much better than much of the fare on FN these days.

zoel

zoel

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 2:22 AM

I cant get how anyone looks at a suckling pig, basically a nursing baby pig, and puts it dead on a grill or whatever and watches it cook! I actually find it totally disturbing to look at. I get food comes from killing animals, but there is somethin extra gross about looking at a baby animal in full form and cutting it open. I can't do it, in fact I don't eat pork at all since I actually was around them on my uncle's farm and they were pretty smart and pretty cute animals, eating them reminds me of eating puppies and dogs, but then again my cousin went to china where they have a restaurant and people pick out live dogs to eat! So disgusting! I also can not eat veal when I see how cruel they are treated. Same goes for foie gras and how they treat ducks to get this delicacy. My only meat is free range chicken, and I don't wear leather!

But in spite of Brian making me turn off the tv and delete the episode with the suckling pig, I do enjoy his show a lot! I hope it does come back! If dipshit Melissa and marble mouth Aaron can stay on, Brian needs to be on!

I love BB. I eat meat, but not very much of it. And I also realize that something had to die to feed me. Just don't want to be reminded if I don't have to be. Does that make me a wimp?

O/T - Just watched a Bourdain show where they placed a live squirming octopus on top of steaming pot of various seafoods and I guess the ultimate pleasure was to eat it while it was slowly squirming and dying.
Good grief.
I don't think I'll ever be that de-sensitivized to some creature's pain for entertainment purposes.

I don't think it makes you a wimp, if that's the case then we could see people who stand around watching a dead baby pig cook and have no feeling are sadistic. I don't get how people do it, but I don't think they are bad for doing it, just don't want to see it! A piece of chicken breast is different to me than a chicken with his head and eyeballs attached. Kind of like I will not hold a gun and shoot an animal running in front of me.

I also found it creepy that Barefoot contessa visited a chicken farm to get a 'fresh chicken" and picked out some beautiful chicken and we saw the farmer bringing it to the barn to be slaughters. Blech! I am not saying I think she is evil, it's just something I can't do and don' t get doing.

In the casee of Bourdain, that is a different story. He is not like Brian or Ina, he is literally doing cruel things on tv for sensationalized segments and it's cruel. I remember when he took a beating heart out of some creature and ate it. Putting animals alive in boiling water or hot pans like they do to live crabs IMO is cruel, and so is what they do to lobsters.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2010 @ 12:27 PM

The roller derby episode is being rerun Monday. So I guess that means we're out of new eps for this show. I hope he gets another season, even though I didn't really watch the pig one.

MacabreParlor

MacabreParlor

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2010 @ 11:56 PM

Looking at the Food Network website new episodes start on June 7th with "Parents' Night Out":

Brian decides to offer all of his friends with kids a kid-free dinner. No kids, no screaming babies, no dirty diapers - only 5 star food and a charming host. But can our super chef deliver a delicious dinner and play Super Nanny? Find out.

I'm looking forward to it. I really love this fun cooking show, Brian was one of my fave athletes when I was growing up and he has IMO an adorable personality.

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 9:06 AM

I'm very glad they will be showing more Brian - but this is a rerun, not a new episode. It's ok, I'll take it!

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

FYI - I have seen promos for The Cooking Channel that advertise Brian will be on at 2:30 pm Saturdays. I'm assuming they mean reruns of the old shows.

i heart food

i heart food

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

FYI - I have seen promos for The Cooking Channel that advertise Brian will be on at 2:30 pm Saturdays. I'm assuming they mean reruns of the old shows.

So I take this to mean there won't be anymore new shows? Boo! I heart Brian and love what he makes. He is SO entertaining. And you gotta give him props for using the South Park song about him for his show. Down with FN!

circe221

circe221

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Anyone know if Brian will be doing another season?
I just love his personality and the food he does looks good and seems easy enough that I don't feel intimidated by the recipes.

ToothbrushFence

ToothbrushFence

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 6:06 PM

Anyone know if Brian will be doing another season?

Looks like yes.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 7:23 PM

Thanks, ToothbrushFence (and I love the name!), for that info. I've missed Brian, his quirky sense of humor and his wonderful food on FN's roster lately.

notyomomma

notyomomma

Video Archivist

• Interests:Cribbage, basket weaving, crocheting, growing orchids, hand coloring black and white photos, cooking, cooking and more cooking.

Posted Oct 3, 2010 @ 2:17 PM

Love his humor and love his show. Rewatched the Secret Scooter show for the fouth time and still enjoyed it. He is very creative and he is quite the jokester and for one, it is refreshing.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 12:44 PM

I have really grown to like him and am glad to hear that he's coming back with new shows. I saw the scooter show over the weekend. Wow, all the food looked amazing! That schnitzeled sausage sandwich is definitely in my future.

druish princess

druish princess

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

Any news on when/if the show is returning?

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 4:48 PM

I hope some new shows will be on soon; I really miss his fun style & of course, his great food. With drek like Aunt Sandy, Melissa, etc. on constantly, I don't understand why Brian was given just a shot little window of a show. I'd watch him every week, as I do Ina & Anne. Love him.

mousie

mousie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

I think Brian just has a lot of other things to do and probably decides when he wants to work on the cooking show. Isn't he still pretty involved in the ice skating world?

For his fans, he writes occasional blog posts for the San Francisco Chronicle food section.

http://insidescoopsf...-i-eat-at-lolo/

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

I tried finding any info about a new season a month or so ago, I couldn't find anything.

blakec73

blakec73

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Does anyone know anything about his show ????? I sure miss it !!!!!

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

Does anyone know anything about his show ????? I sure miss it !!!!!

No, and I've been wondering the same thing.

Thus far I have two theories*:
1) FN realized that Brian was much better than them and threw a snit and then threw him under the metaphorical bus,
or
2)Brian has been so busy with his other projects that he hasn't had time for this little cooking show.

*or Brian was abducted by aliens who wanted to know how to cook like Boitano.

In either case; we, the viewers, lose.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Since it seems FN has now become the Competition Show Network, & any real cooking shows are turning up on The Cooking Channel, I wish that TCC would pick up Brian's show & authorize some new eps, too. I loved his show & really miss it.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

While any Brian is better than no Brian, i was disappointed that today's show was a rerun. Nonetheless, i was ready to smash through the screen to get my hands on that starter and main. I think I had forgotten just how good Brian's food is.

Now, how about some new episodes?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

How annoying! My channel guide didn't list it!

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Neither did mine. I just turned on CC at 4:30 as a matter of faith.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Since it seems FN has now become the Competition Show Network, & any real cooking shows are turning up on The Cooking Channel, I wish that TCC would pick up Brian's show & authorize some new eps, too. I loved his show & really miss it.

I really hope this comes to pass, I think he would pair great with Bitchin' Kitchen. At the very least I know I would be highly amused for that hour.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Yet another re-run today. Once again, better than no Brian but I wanted new shows.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Although I'm a big fan of Brian's skating, I hadn't watched his show in quite a while. Last week, however, I saw the episode when he babysat for everyone's children while the parents ate. I thought the recipes were out of this world, and the humor was great! Everything Brian cooked looked good to me. I can't wait to make his steak and his molten chocolate cakes. I hope there are more shows ahead that are as good as this one was.