What Would Brian Boitano Make?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

478 replies to this topic

Lulus Pie Shop

Lulus Pie Shop

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:15 PM

This is the campiest show on Food Network and I completely love it! But then, I'm a bit strange. BB is cooking a bunch of appetizers for a party but it has little asides with animation and commentary (think Scrubs).

Has anyone else watched this, or made anything from it?

terris2030

terris2030

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:17 PM

Don't know about the food yet, but this is a fun concept for a show, and he's actually kind of entertaining.

Lovecat

Lovecat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:31 PM

That. Was an absolute HOOT! I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't that FABulous fun! I'm pleasantly surprised, and will tune in again. It's like Alton Brown crossed with Carson Kressley, and I loved it :)

CarolfromAlabam

CarolfromAlabam

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:32 PM

This show is gay as a goose but the food looked better than anything I've seen on FN in a long time. He actually taught me something unlike Mommy Melissa.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:35 PM

Brian was absolutely adorable. I cannot wait for the next episode.

12345ne

12345ne

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:37 PM

"Most dramatic rose ceremony ever." BWAH! I think I love you Brian and now I really want some panna cotta.

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:38 PM

That was pretty entertaining, I hope they can sustain it.

Wondra

Wondra

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:41 PM

What a fun, fun, FUN show! This is the best new show I have seen on Food Network in ages. BB is a natural in front of the camera, and a natural in the kitchen. All of today's recipes looked very tasty and I will be trying them all, but the pepper relish/sausage topped polenta squares will be first.

I will be watching again. Food TV Network suits, if you are reading, THIS IS A WINNAH!!

PS. The stunt food chopper guy was just the funniest bit ever, but you have to be a relatively frequent browser TWoP's Semi-Homemade board to get that joke.

FlufferNutter

FlufferNutter

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:43 PM

Wow! Informative, intelligent and entertaining! This is sooo against Food Network's current manifesto. Who'd think that a figure skater could produce a cooking show that's miles above 99% of FN's programming. I'm in shock. I also got the Alton vibe, but I crossed Alton with John Waters.

I was surprised to see the credits roll. I recognized many of the production crew's names from Aunt Sandy's atrocities.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:47 PM

but I crossed Alton with John Waters.

Yes! Camp value was so high in this episode. John Waters in a guest spot would be pretty great.

BelleCurve

BelleCurve

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:49 PM

I loved this show, it actually made me laugh, you know, in a good way, unlike anything else on this network. Natural host who can actually choose decent recipes, and who has a sense of humor. Who knew this could be done on FN?

Edited by BelleCurve, Aug 23, 2009 @ 12:49 PM.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 1:08 PM

Brian totally charmed me. Campy, fun, and the food looked yummy. I don't watch figure skating, but I gave it a chance because the commercial was a hoot. This show did not disappoint. I'll be watching from now on. Good Job Food Network!

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 1:24 PM

I didn't know what to expect, not a Brian fan at all. But the show was fun, fun to watch. I liked the polenta appetizer with the sausage slices, something I may try. I guess Brian hadn't heard of the trick of slicing soft cheese like goat cheese with a string of dental floss, works like a charm, beats the hot water/ knife routine. He used his chopper for the shallots, but a knife for the nuts, wouldn't the chopper been easier to use ? Overall good show, fun to watch , who would have known?

luvmymeena

luvmymeena

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 1:29 PM

Luckily I saw the beginning before I left the house and started taping (yeah, *taping*!) it. I just saw the first appetizer, and "KinIjus'tellyou?Ikinnot WAIT to make it"! Dude can cook! Crab and avocado and shallots... oh my! That looked so good my mouth is STILL watering.

Are there new powers-that-be at FN, or were the same idiots banking on a "Springtime For Hitler" moment? I anxiously await the next installment - Boitano nailed it!

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

• Interests:Cooking, gardening, photography, writing, decorating

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 2:15 PM

If the rest of the episodes are as good as this first one then I'm sold. Who knew FN could come up with a winner? Well, I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 2:28 PM

Yeah I loved it, it was good campy fun. When it was first posted as in indication of the Foodnetwork going downhill, I said I was going to give it a chance because it at least wasn't going to be filmed in a FN studio and I live in SF and when they posted some content for the show (him going to a fan's house and making a bacone) I got my hopes up and it didn't disappoint. Cheesetastic, campy fun with good looking food that I will try and a charming host.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 2:32 PM

I was dubious from the video that was up on the FN Web site of Brian walking around in his skating costume and SKATES shopping for food -- but this was really a good show. All the food seemed interesting, and Brian was a hoot! I'll keep watching.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 3:10 PM

I almost hate to admit it, but I really enjoyed it. It's like the most unexpectedly good thing on FN in ages. The storyline actually worked, unlike on other shows (I'm looking at you, Ina), and the food was good enough. And I really loved that he didn't fall into that overly descriptive thing FN seems to love ("mmmmmmm. the avocado is rich and creamy and the acidity of the lemon makes it even better"). The only weird thing to me was the way he seemed to lean into the camera, bending at the waist, when he tasted one of his creations. It made it look like he was going to jump through the screen.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 3:22 PM

Gotta chime in with the low expectations and the love.

Especially after all the eps of TNFNS, I feel very aware of how hard it is to host a cooking show. He was GREAT! Not afraid (to cook...to show his personality...to camp it up without being too much...)

He was FUN and the food was fun. It's "the same" as FN but also "original". Really good! Who knew?

toolazy

toolazy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 4:56 PM

I laughed out loud at least twice, which never happens with cooking shows (unless it's unintentional Aunt Sandy comedy.) Over time the silliness might start to bug but for right now, I'm really pleased.

peanutcup

peanutcup

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 6:56 PM

I love Brian Boitano and I love this show! Wow a man who is talented in the kitchen, intelligent, and he is entertaining! Love this show! It's different! Kind of like Alton Brown's show is different.

Teawaddle Hill

Teawaddle Hill

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 7:08 PM

Edited by Teawaddle Hill, Dec 26, 2011 @ 6:42 AM.

Miss Steph

Miss Steph

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

That was kind of amazing. I can't remember enjoying something so much on this network (I like Alton, Throwdown and snarking on Aunt Sandy, but everything else is just kind of eh for me). But this show was just wonderful. I can't wait for it next week.

I loved that they used the South Park song as the opening. And Brian himself was just so funny. And all the goofiness worked which was surprising. Because it could have gone so bad, so fast.

I'm hoping Tony found some love.

dianecourt

dianecourt

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

This is hands down my new favorite FN show. I didn't even care that much about the food! Brian is so much fun and he's so easy to watch. He comes across as very relaxed, but experienced, in the kitchen. FN needs to quit it with crap like Chef vs. City or anything Rachael or Sandra related and put out more stuff like this.

Lulus Pie Shop

Lulus Pie Shop

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 7:55 PM

I loved that they used the South Park song as the opening. And Brian himself was just so funny.

Is that what that was? I was wondering!

splashy

splashy

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

Just chiming in here. Up till today I thought, "What a stupid idea for a show! A retired figure skater? Cooking? Who cares!"

I was pleasantly surprised to discover what a goofball Brian is (goofy, but not in a phony trying-too-hard kind of way). Looks like he really enjoys cooking. Also seems very at ease in front of the camera.

I'll tune in again.

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 11:21 PM

Please, if you are unfamiliar with the South Park movie, check out Wiki, and the original song. The idea that they are using the song says to me that he has a great sense of humor.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

This is the best thing on TV I've seen in YEARS! But, I am worried that it can't possibly sustain this level of awesomeness... here's hoping that we get an episode with some other random figure skaters doing some kind of cooking project with him, before it completely loses its charm...

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 11:54 PM

I do know that one of the future episodes involves a bacon bourbon cocktail and a roller derby team (and a great dive bar), so I think things might be okay!

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 12:13 AM

When I first heard about this, I thought, a show based on a South Park joke? Really? Then it shows up as the theme song so I gotta watch. Boitano wins the gold! Totally comfortable on camera, hilarity ensuing all over the place, and not only did the food look good, he knew how to make it - and make it fun. The kabob had good, simple flavors and the basil wrap was cute.

He used his chopper for the shallots, but a knife for the nuts, wouldn't the chopper been easier to use ?

But then we couldn't have the stunt chopper.

Edited by buttersister, Aug 24, 2009 @ 12:15 AM.