S6 - Mike Isabella: Putting the I in Team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

260 replies to this topic

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

I don't know why, but Mike reminds me of this guy who was on a show called Average Joe. I can't for the life of me remember what that guy looked like, though.

ThreeDimen

ThreeDimen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

Judging by Mike's Twitter feed, he's either joking or still bitter about his loss.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

Hey, Mike, you don't win friends with salad.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 2:12 PM

Now Mike can back to where he belongs.

Executive Chef of Bada Bing!

shalom79

shalom79

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 3:25 AM

I found it interesting that the editors made sure to have him comment that Michelle Bernstein is a female chef, and that he thinks she's awesome. Maybe that was an attempt to make him look like less of a sexist douche..

Or maybe he respects the fact that she's a kickass chef regardless of her gender.

I went to Zaytinya a number of times when Mike was executive chef. It was consistently very good. It's also a huge restaurant and I'm always amazed they they get the food out consistently and appropriate quickly. I get that it's Jose Andres' restaurant and not entirely Mike's menu (the same could be said when Mike Volt was at Bazaar), but I'm looking forward to trying his new restaurant when it opens. Assuming I can get in.

My experience at Zaytinya was the same it was a really great restaurant. For comparison it was much better than Harold's Perilla (not a fair comparison, granted) and IMO actually better than my meal at Le Bernardin. Mike doesn't get the full credit for running someone else's menu but for me personally whether Mike is an asshole or demeans women (very arguable point since the women chefs seem to adore and respect him) is about as relevant towards my patronage as whether Tiffani F is homosexual or Casey T uses her tits to get ahead... ie completely irrelevant. They can live their personal lives however they want it doesn't make the least bit of difference whether they can cook or deserve to win.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 6:09 AM

Best Bites Interviews Michael Isabella

ETA: ATC Interviews Michael Isabella

Edited by ByTheWay, Apr 1, 2011 @ 6:44 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

Mike shares a rough recipe of his pepperoni sauce. I will definitely be trying it.

chrismunk

chrismunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 2:42 AM

Thanks for the link to the pepperoni sauce, biakbiak. It sounded so weird (and possibly gross), but Gail seemed crazy about it, I was curious what the hell the recipe was. When I think pepperoni, I usually think of my local Papa John's pizza topping, so uh, I didn't get the praise.

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

I'm with you Chrismunk. For some reason, I thought the sauce was made by pureeing the pepperoni's with olive oil. I'm not fond of pepperoni (at least the variety that comes on pizza), so I'm thinking this sauce wouldn't wow me as much as it did Gail.

Edited by jes004, Apr 3, 2011 @ 9:41 PM.

mwolf

mwolf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

TVGuide interview: Top Chef's Mike: I Thought I Won

You were dying to get Jen as a sous chef. Did you pick dishes you thought were hers?
Mike: I was looking for fish and she yelled at me afterwards: "I'm not gonna serve the s----y fish they have out here!" [Laughs] She made a tomato salad. She was pissed. I was pissed. ... After I picked, I tasted the marmalade and said, "I wonder if that's Jen's." But it was too late. We talked before I went away. She gave me pointers on stuff, how to extract conch. She's the seafood queen! But the team that I had — I couldn't replace them because they did the best job, especially Jamie.

ETA: Looks like they have added the video interview now. The headline for it makes me laugh.

Edited by mwolf, Apr 6, 2011 @ 3:22 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 7:04 AM

I found it interesting that the editors made sure to have him comment that Michelle Bernstein is a female chef, and that he thinks she's awesome. Maybe that was an attempt to make him look like less of a sexist douche..

I don't think Mike is even capable of a level of self-realization to even ADMIT he'd have to do something to look less sexist, so yeah... maybe the editor helped him out.

Mike's championing of Jen is about the only sign that he respects any woman chef, ever (his "Angels" comment was at best, an ill conceived attempt by Mike to moderate himself... in other words... barely). And I seem to recall on their original season he STILL harped on Jen's gender.

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

Mike shares a rough recipe of his pepperoni sauce. I will definitely be trying it.

I want him to bottle it and sell it. Gail was practically orgasmic with praise for the sauce; I'd like to see what the big deal was!

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

Cook's Country tv.com has a manicotti recipe with pepperoni in the meat sauce that is supposed to really up the flavor. Maybe his sauce is similar.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 1:44 PM

My experiences at Zaytinya were the same -- great food, great service, beautiful decor. Also looking forward to going to Graffiato.

I was in Chinatown last night, and on the way back to my car, we saw Graffiato. I had to take a picture, and, of course, I had to cross the street to peek inside. It's roughly set up--I could see the bar, which is to left side of the establishment, but there were still boxes around.

I would have preferred an Antonia win, but I don't begrudge Mike his success. Now all we need is for Carla to open up her place, and that would mean that DC has three former Top Cheffers doing their thing in the nation's capital.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

Here's a blurb about Mike in today's Washington Post Mike's restaurant

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 5:58 AM

Relax, that’s a joke! Whatever he wants to call his cuisine, Isabella and executive sous chef Marjorie Meek-Bradley and sous chef Elliot Drew were painstakingly training the kitchen crew last week and fine-tuning dishes on the menu. What will be on the menu? Good question. Here are all three of Graffiato’s menus:

I thought it very telling, in a positive light, that Mike has a female executive sous chef. I don't see that as something a misogynist would do.

NolieBlue

NolieBlue

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

Mike will be opening another restaurant -- this time a Mexican small plates restaurant in Georgetown.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

For what it's worth, Mike's "writing" a cookbook. That is to say that he's hired Carol Blymire of French Laundry and Alinea At Home fame to actually write it. In fact, Mike's book is apparently a large part of the reason Carol has given up her blogs (temporarily?). Mike's wife is testing the recipes.

NolieBlue

NolieBlue

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Mike is expanding his empire with two new restaurants.

tvchick

tvchick

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Bandolero

The latest on Bandolero, Mike's Mexican place in Georgetown...

NolieBlue

NolieBlue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Washington Post Review -- liked the food, not the decor.

Edited by NolieBlue, Jun 13, 2012 @ 9:51 AM.