How You Would Approach the Challenges: Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

No replies to this topic

BabyVegas

BabyVegas

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 2:49 AM

So, there's a thread for how people would approach Quickfires on Top Chef, so I thought we could use a thread like that but for whatever Gordon calls the challenges at the beginning of the episodes.

For the low-cal challenge, maybe it was just because I grew up in a house with a mother who adhered strictly to Weight Watchers and I cook Weight Watchers in my home, but this challenge didn't seem quite as hard as they were making it out to be.

For the app, I think Robert had the right idea to do something with seafood. I would have done shrimp grilled with lemon juice and mixed it into some sort of veggie dish. Peas, green beans, or cauliflower would have gone very well and have given a nice color to go with the pink.

For the main entree, I would have grilled a chicken breast in a teriyaki grilling sauce (cutting out a lot of the sugar makes a big difference) or done lamb skewers by grilling lamb marinated (for as long as they could) chicken stock, oregano, thyme, and a squeeze of lemon juice and then skewer it with onions and red peppers.

For dessert, I would have done a plate that had like...okay, this is kind of hard to explain, but it would have looked sort of like spokes where there would be ladyfingers alternating with columns of fresh fruit and then drizzle sabayon over that and then make chocolate meringue dots for the rim of the plate.

All in all, I think that should add up to roughly 650 calories, especially if you're careful about portion control.

How about you guys? Ideas?