Models of the Runway

• Please log in to reply

893 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 10:13 AM

This thread is for the series Models of the Runway.

Series synopsis from Lifetime:

The companion series to Project Runway follows the behind-the-scenes highs and lows as the models themselves face elimination each week as they compete for cash and prizes.

This thread is going to be like a single show thread over in the Competitive Reality forum, but it's going to be housed here for now. Like with threads over there, the rule not to post about the show while it's airing still applies. Spoilers and media and other information that apply both to this show and Project Runway can go in the main PR spoiler and media threads.

If you've got any questions about this, go ahead and ask in the Mod Announcements thread.

mtmjr

mtmjr

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 1:03 AM

So this? Is the best idea Lifetime has had to change up Project Runway. On America's Next Top Model, Tyra talks all the time about how starting-out-models have to room together, and all the craziness that ensues. So I'm hoping that's what we get to see, since these girls are presumably employed outside of the show, and have very little control over their fates within the show.

Also, for only a $25,000 final payout (and the afore-mentioned very-little-control-over-their-fates), I'm guessing that they are not going to be particularly observant of any "rules of the house" that are in place. They will do what they feel like, basically. So I can't wait to see how it plays out, and particularly I'm looking forward to the different perspectives on the model-designer dynamic. How many models who say, right now, "Oh, I just LOVE my designer," will be saying in a couple of weeks "I can't believe that bitch stuck pins in my ass to fit me into that ugly sack."

Lots of potential here.

Edited by mtmjr, Aug 21, 2009 @ 1:12 AM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 1:14 AM

I've never watched any of the other model types shows so I'm clueless as to how they regularly work.

I did not like that Mitchell's model(who happened to be *gorgeous*) got the boot because he's a silly bitch who blamed *her* for the fact that he over-smocked that dress of his combined with possibly getting wrong measurements. I have nicknamed him Bitchell and hope like hell that when the Name the designers of this season comes off that it is a consideration for his.. I was happy during the PR show that he stayed but after that, no, just no. I hope he screws up next week and is gone.

And Matan or whatever her name is? I'm sorry but she's Fugly and walks like a draft horse. She stayed? Over the lovely, smokey voiced Venezuelan? The hell? The friend in Atlanta that I watch all TV with (I'm in VT) and I decided to watch this 1st episode live before deciding whether we were going to bother with it at all, dvr it or watch live going forward. As it is, I'll dvr it, but it has to get better. Right now, it is a bad extension of PR, pretty much.

Edited by callietwo, Aug 21, 2009 @ 1:16 AM.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 5:19 AM

This show's greatest contribution to culture is that it removes the tepid model-selection drama from the real Project Runway episode each week. I never really cared about that aspect of the competition, so now I can ignore it. It's lesser contribution, assuming it follows the same format each week, is the brief glimpse we get of the models' honest reaction to the worst of the garbage they have been forced to wear. (Face it. You wanted to know how she felt about her nearly-naked walk down the runway.)

The rest is drivel. I may watch the first few minutes each week.

Meushell

Meushell

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 5:23 AM

Also, for only a $25,000 final payout (and the afore-mentioned very-little-control-over-their-fates), I'm guessing that they are not going to be particularly observant of any "rules of the house" that are in place.

I hope a not stealing rule is heavily enforced. Having prizes that are open to theft rather defeats the purpose of having prizes.

I did not like that Mitchell's model(who happened to be *gorgeous*) got the boot because he's a silly bitch who blamed *her* for the fact that he over-smocked that dress of his combined with possibly getting wrong measurements.

It sucks, but if you watch this show, I think you'll have to get used to it. Who wins has a lot more to do with being lucky than being good. I'm not really judging him yet on this because I think the judges sort of screwed her over here.

(Paraphrasing)
Mitchell - The measurements were wrong.
Judges - Well, models lie about that stuff all the time.

Now it may not be true, but he believes a big part of why he was in the bottom two was because the measurements were wrong, and the judges (imo) implied that they were wrong because the model lied about them.

abowl

abowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 6:15 AM

This show's greatest contribution to culture is that it removes the tepid model-selection drama from the real Project Runway episode each week.

ITA. The model selection was a big time waster; I'm glad the real Project Runway show can now have a few more minutes to focus on the designers.

But who am I kidding, I'm still going to watch this mindless model show because I have no life and I'm freaking nosey.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 8:25 AM

This show's greatest contribution to culture is that it removes the tepid model-selection drama from the real Project Runway episode each week.

I like that they are all picking every week again. It got tepid because they changed it every week (sometimes just the winner picked between their model and the model of the aufed contestant, sometimes they were picking after not using the models for weeks at a time). There was no buy-in to the models the way Season 1 had with Julia, Morgan, and Melissa. I like this show because it rounds out a full fashion cast (like the secretaries in Mad Men or the nurses on ER, the models are part of this show). And it is nice to hear and see how the models interacted with the designer that went home. And it's really nice when you see posts the next day like "that model got thrown under the bus" to hear right from the model that she agrees.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 9:15 AM

So I'm going to have to watch this show to get the full PR experience? I didn't watch last night, because I figured it would just be an hour of the random bonus video crap Bravo used to post on its website. How much time do they think I have to devote to this show anyway?

Merde Happens

Merde Happens

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 9:19 AM

I'm not surprised that Mitchell's model's measurements were so off. She was gorgeous, yes, but too "big" and too womanly to be a high-fashion runway model. Which I say as an absolute compliment.

Reminds me of Alison's model from S3 who was also beautiful but got dumped on for being so zaftig. In reality the girl could not have been bigger than a size 4, but in this industry if you're not a 0 or 2 you're not going to get a job walking runway.

I already dislike the two models who won all the swag. Katie really wasn't kidding when she said she wasn't that smart. Girl also has a distractingly large mouth.

Tara looks the most like what's "in" in high-fashion runway today. Baby-faced, blonde, skinny.

oregonbeach

oregonbeach

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 9:47 AM

Ever play that game, " I'm so much better looking, how did she get this gig?" Or rather, when I was that age...... there are some models that have skinny skinny lips, or bulgy foreheads and I can't figure out why they're on TV. Yes, I am that shallow.

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 10:37 AM

Someone needs to talk to the camerman. When the model is getting walking lessons, it would be nice if we could actually see her legs as she walks. Sheesh.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 10:46 AM

I'm hoping this will be the repository of all the pointless drama that they won't be including in the show. That doesn't mean I won't watch it, just that I'd rather keep the drama part of PR low so there's more time to show the actual designing.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

Right now, this is pretty much a waste of time, but it could be a lot more interesting. I don't really care about the girls back in their house, and I could really do without the "yay, winner!" and "oh, gosh, I could be eliminated" perpetual rehashes.

What I would like to see is more designer/model interaction and more fitting and styling.

Shylock

Shylock

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2009 @ 8:23 AM

I agree that this was a good idea. IMO, the season 1 models were the best because 1) they were all hotter and 2) they had distinguishable character arcs. These girls are for the most part a lot better looking than the girls of years past (some of whom seemed to have no modeling experience or potential whatsoever) and unlike the mallrats of ANTM, they're all signed, professional-ish, and know what they're doing takes craftmanship. The scene with Erika Mackey going to her agent to work on her walk demonstrated this. It kind of makes Season 2' Zulema bullishly demanding for the motherf'in walk-off less asshole-ish, and more like a good opportunity for the girls to demonstrate their talent.

That said, I also anticipate some of the girls being dramatic nut-jobs who trash their designers behind the scenes. And I expect some of the designers to be completely oblivious to the fact that blaming everything on your model's fat fatness does not a good edit make. (Mitchell.)

I knew Erika didn't need to worry about going out. Besides for being really gorgeous and (forgive me) fierce, redheads do well on this show. There's always just one and the designers like to hang on to visual stand-outs, at least for a while.

I really liked Vanessa, the Christy Turlington look alike who wants all the designers to fight over her. I thought Ebony could suck it for bitching about Tara and Katie squeeing over free diamond bracelets. Some of the other girls looked genuinely thrilled for their good fortune and the promise of similar future prizes for themselves. Kalyn, the farm-girl who looks like it, was probably thrilled to have been stolen from Qristal, but I'm sure she's not psyched about working with Mitchell, given how everyone seemed to rally around Yosuzi's injustice. I think Matar will be a good fit for Shirin's look. Kojii is stunning, but her soundbite on either being a mother or a model was unintentionally hilarious. I feel bad for Fatma's obsession with Logan. I just get the feeling she's not quite... his type. And Valerie seems put together and beautiful, but a little old at 27 and it kinda shows.

I hope this continues to be fun. I think as the season goes on and they settle in we'll see more designer interaction. Tim Gunn mentioned pre-show that at one point he has to tell a girl who refuses to wear something to shut it and be a walking mannequin. Yay!

McGlory13

McGlory13

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2009 @ 10:50 AM

I agree that I have missed the way the models were integrated into the first season, they had personalities back then and really added to the show. I also agree, however, that they decided to focus on the most boring stuff for "Models of the Runway" and that I would have liked to have seen the fittings etc. from the models' point of view. Did that woman really sew half of his dress? We didn't get the footage to prove it.

Sigh, I'm realizing I don't remember anybody's name. Anyway, I love the red headed model and am glad she didn't go home, though it didn't seem like her designer was very happy to have her.

abowl

abowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2009 @ 2:06 PM

Anyway, I love the red headed model and am glad she didn't go home, though it didn't seem like her designer was very happy to have her.

I really like her too. I think it's because she reminds me of Molly Ringwald. I was glad she was picked up by another designer, but I'm a little worried because I think she got saved by a designer that isn't very good (or that's what I remember....but I forgot which designer picked her).....so I hope she isn't on the chopping block again next week.

I'm glad I have a new model show to watch though. I used to watch ANTM until Tyra Banks decided she was the new Orpah/God.....and when I realized the winners rarely become top models.

wdallan

wdallan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 11:24 AM

But who am I kidding, I'm still going to watch this mindless model show because I have no life and I'm freaking nosey.

Perfectly put abowl! That explains why I watch most of the reality shows that I watch!

I found some of the behind-the-scenes peaks at the relationship between the models and designers interesting. However, unless they find some way of changing things up, won't we see the same pattern we get most seasons where the designers start to stick with the same model every week? I guess the show can still work if every week the model paired with the losing designer gets eliminated, but it will require some creativity from the producers.

Le Furonda

Le Furonda

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2009 @ 4:06 PM

Logan's model (Fatma) is absolutely ferocious. I don't think she fits too well as his muse, but she's this season's Shannone. On the opposite edge of the spectrum, Valerie (Malvin's model) is older than Jade and looks it. Her face is too bony and and stiff and she looks by far the oldest.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 10:34 PM

I am absolutely loving the behind-the-scenes glimpse at the relationships between the models and the designers and all the drama inherent in the model/designer pairings. I have a feeling I will be glued to this show all season long.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 10:34 PM

This show is boring filler of the lowest order, and that was obvious to me within a minute of tuning in for the first time. How many "I'm worried about being eliminated" / "I love/hate [designer]" confessionals do we really need?

And I'm already sick of the designated white and black bitches.

kiacook

kiacook

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 10:58 PM

Man, this show has been boring so far. I fast forwarded when they got to the section where the chick was talking about how she likes to clean. Seriously? But it looks like it has potential to get more interesting as it goes along, the girls get to know each other better and hate each other more.

gpfallow

gpfallow

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:00 PM

I would have loved this during season 2. With Zulemia and other designers of season 2, it would have been great to hear all the dirt and confessionals.

I think it is a bit unfair that Mitchell did not get to choose last. I think the top 3 should be able to pick first and the remaining designers (except for the bottom 3) have the button bag. It seems unfair, IMO, that Mitchell got to choose earlier and take models from other designers who did better and well, sew.

Shylock

Shylock

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

It seems unfair, IMO, that Mitchell got to choose earlier and take models from other designers who did better and well, sew.

Well, maybe it was then karma that his model had a temper tantrum about having to work with his untalented ass right in front of everyone?

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

Fatma having the hots for Logan has the prospect of creating some serious fireworks; she looks like she wouldn't hesitate to cut somebody who gets in her way. What I'm not sure of, because my gaydar is apparently not functioning well this year, is which team he bats for. Would he even notice that she lusts after him? Or will it just be a source of massive embarrassment for all concerned?

So far the show's okay. It's only half an hour, at least, so it's not taking too much time and it does give me a chance to at least learn some of the girls' names and which ones are considered by their peers to be the better models. I also think that this year's crop of girls is a big improvement over the last few years; having this show certainly helped improve the quality of models willing to do this show, considering they don't get paid. But if they're getting free housing, I'm sure that helped. That didn't ever happen in New York in previous seasons, did it?

DramaQueenLite

DramaQueenLite

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:24 PM

Logan is the token I SWEAR I'M NOT GAY designer of the season. He's the one who said he'd pop the hood on his limo if it broke down on the way to Fashion Week, because he's so butch he works with his hands all the time. Like a man does. And not a gay man either.

Honestly, I'm not seeing what Fatma has to be so obsessed about, other than the fact that he seems to be the only straight male designer. Logan is totally boring.

Edited by DramaQueenLite, Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:25 PM.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:27 PM

Ah, so *that's* Logan. Mr. I can fix the limo. (As an aside: Why does he assume that only a straight guy might be mechanically inclined? Aren't there gay mechanics out there?) Fatma doesn't seem like she's exactly well-balanced to begin with, so if I were Logan I'd probably try to stay far, far away from her!

abowl

abowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2009 @ 2:59 AM

The middle part of this show is kind of boring, but the beginning and ends are pretty damn entertaining.

I like how Fatma says at the beginning she likes to talk to and build relationships with all the designers to cover her ass.....and then at the end totally disses Mitchell in front of everybody, haha. Loved Althea's re-enactment of Fatma's "NOOOOOOO!" silhouette. Fatma's reaction was entertaining, but a pretty rude and dumb move on her part. I hope next time, Logan has the option to pick Fatma, but sticks with Koji :).

I give Mitchell credit for at least addressing that he knows no models want to be his.

And interesting that there were quite a few model switches, but the losing designer's model was still the one that ended up going home.....that kind of adds an extra sting to her elimination....she can't even say "Oh well, the designers were all loyal to their models."

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2009 @ 3:16 AM

I'm annoyed that Ra'mon didn't switch to the model that he clearly preferred (for her boobs, they all assumed) - playing Mr. Nice Guy on a competitive show like this, when several other designers were switching models, seems like shooting yourself in the foot. (Or in this case, sewing hand...)

DuchessKitty

DuchessKitty

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2009 @ 3:19 AM

Well I for one love this show so far. The 30 min format is just right. And I love seeing all of the different personalities. That Fatma is kind of a scary piece of work isn't she?
When Koji came in and told her she had Logan, Fatma said something like, "Logan's shy, you were the one standing next to me". What?! Fatma was at the far opposite end of the runway from her! WTF was she talking about? She seems a little deranged.
Poor Epperson 2 weeks in a row that he's last. He looks like somebody asked him to shoot his daughter.
Can't wait to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Edited: because "Wjen" isn't a word.

Edited by DuchessKitty, Aug 28, 2009 @ 3:22 AM.

ketgz

ketgz

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2009 @ 6:28 AM

I'm going to have to catch this epi when it runs again just for the end from the sound of it. I tried to watch but about seven minutes in gave up. I'm trying to decide if I'm really OCD enough to make a flow chart showing model/designer pairings with who wins and gets eliminated each week, There are too many for me to really remember at this point. I think I might be...