Pawn Stars

• Please log in to reply

1128 replies to this topic

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

rubyredjewel: there are a lot of over scripted ahows and it's too bad because it seems in the early days that wasn't so.

Edited by kingofpoppa, Jan 3, 2013 @ 6:29 PM.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

Really, if Rick, the Old Man, Cory and Chumlee still worked in the store it would be a mob scene every day and nothing would be done. The show is the show and the shop is separate. The show still serves it's purpose being on the History Channel by passing on historical information about stuff. Why read anything more in to it?

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 7:25 PM

I don't mind the staging and re-enactments for the cameras. The film crew would need to be there every day otherwise to get enough interesting footage and there would be a ton of downtime while waiting for the experts to come in if it was pre-arranged. What I don't like is all the stupid made up interactions with Chumlee and the fat son. I could do without that.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

Watching this show has made me realize there are a lot of delusional people out there. Like the woman who wanted to sell her J. Edgar Hoover book and expected to make bank. She acted like he was the most famous person of all time. "And you can tell the signature is real because it looks just like the one on the title page!" What a moron.

glimpse13

glimpse13

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 3:49 AM

Pawn Stars: the Game is a Facebook game that is made by A&E Television Networks on the basis of adaptation from Pawn Stars, the TV series in History Channel launched since 2009.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Well, I certainly hope that Rick, The Old Man, Corey and Chumlee are able to take some time off to go to the Cancun Film Festival. (I know this show is heavily scripted but when Chumlee said that, I thought it was hysterical.)

Edited by mmecorday, Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:03 AM.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

LOL, yeah I don't mind the little 'scripts' they write for the guys, although, by far, Rick is the best actor. I don't think they need to make-up story-lines, but it doesn't offend me like on many of the other shows. I still shake my head when someone comes in thinking that a pawn shop is going to pay them triple retail for their item.

Glubb

Glubb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

Dennis Rodman can't afford to pay his daughter's college tuition?

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

Dennis Rodman can't afford to pay his daughter's college tuition?

Exactly what I was thinking beside (ungenerously, I'll admit) maybe if the ex-wife laid off the meth then she wouldn't have to sell keepsakes to pay for their daughter?

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

Dennis was ordered last month to pay in arrears $500,000.00 in child support...for two children he had with a different ex-wife. The ex-wife who appeared on the show, has a daughter with Rodman and I believe she has had issues getting child support from him as well.

GerryC

GerryC

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

So Olivia is back? I wonder what happened.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

the bright green Jim Morrison poster, that we see so often during transactions

I know nothing about art, but this is the most godawful ugly thing in the world. About the nicest thing I can say about it is that it helps me get oriented when I'm trying to figure the floorplan and what's where. I get the same triangulation "ping" off the Death Clock behind the counter.

Hezadelsol

Hezadelsol

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

More proof that this show brings in people who have no intention of selling. The Nintendo World Championship carts brought in last night were owned by a "youtube celebrity", Pat the NES punk. I don't even watch his videos, yet anyone into vintage game collecting knows Pat owns those games. I could rant all day about the inflated value of those games. There are far rarer, 1-2 copies known to exist games that sell for far less, I even owned one. It's all about the lore. NWC carts are the armchair collectors' holy grail.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

Can they please make this show dumber and more fake? The "Penny Caper" wasn't fake or stupid enough.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

I figured that the "Shoezeum" dude was a friend of Chumlee's getting a little TV face time from a friend (no way was the collection, which appeared to be mostly popular older sneaker models that Nike has reproduced in the last decade, worth a million.) The kid with the Nintendo stuff was probably someone Chum knew too. And yeah, the "penny caper" couldn't have been phonier or unfunnier. But hell, I still enjoy the show.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 8:51 AM

They need new script writers. Who really cares if The Old Man wants to hoard pennies? Certainly not Rick. Everything about that was stupid (add fake).
I thought the Nintendo stuff was interesting. Even the trivia insert that the champ had put his trophy up for auction a few years back for $300,000 got no takers.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

They need new script writers.

Maybe they can hire some grade schoolers, who could probably do a better job. "Gee, we never EVER noticed all these giant buckets of pennies stashed everywhere! Oh, look at that car! It's leaning on one side. What, oh what can it be? Why don't we go and look?"

They've had some dumb scripts before, but this took the cake. Plus, this contining storyline making Chumlee seem actually brain-damaged or very slow is wearing thin. While I can believe he's too damn fat and lazy to shake the dead flies off of himself, seeing a 30 year old man who calls in sick so he can stay home and play computer games is not cute in the least.

I do like this show for the many interesting items seen and have mostly watched every episode but enough is enough with the nonsense that insults the intelligence of any viewers.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

So Olivia is back? I wonder what happened.

I think these new episodes were taped before she got fired and we are just now seeing them.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

I do like this show for the many interesting items seen and have mostly watched every episode but enough is enough with the nonsense that insults the intelligence of any viewers.

I'm re-watching some old ones on streaming and with hindsight I cringe at the fact that it took me so long to realize how much of this show is scripted... and scripted with such dumb stuff that it staggers the imagination. Chumlee appears to be a multiple personality at times... he's dumb as a rock ("Oh.") until it's required that he come up with a particular complex witticism at exactly the right moment to set up someone else's line. I like the show and I like the guys (yes, even Cory, sometimes), but I can't believe it took me so long to pick up on the fact that it really isn't off the cuff as it might like to be. (I do love "Oh", though... Chum delivers it beautifully and I've adopted it myself for appropriate occasions.)

I guess it was the flax bow that really opened my eyes to the un-reality of this reality show... even the first time through I noticed that the beads on the string hanging from the bow changed from red to blue, or maybe it was blue to red, from the time it was hung on the wall to the time the guy who pawned it picked it up. After that I really started being more aware of what I was actually being shown. The Bob Dylan encounter was also an obviously staged event.

I've also seen a pet peeve of mine that I've seen on shows like Hoarders and This Old House: Rick, Cory or whoever goes to someone's house to see a particular item or collection, and they knock or ring the doorbell. The door is answered and the homeowner greets them and invites them in... but the entire scene is filmed from behind the homeowner, so the camera crew is already in the house. Why not skip the silly door-opening scene and cut straight to the interesting part? It would leave another 30 or 45 seconds to actually see the interesting item(s) that brought the Pawn Stars to the home in the first place.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

The giant bucket pennies story line was pretty dumb. For as many pennies are in those buckets they could have been converted to real cash and invested. By the time anyone would be allowed to scrap them that money might be worth more than the pennies. Dumb.

Chumlee does not look or act like he's 30. Yes, the village idiot act is worn out. For someone as lazy as he is, Pawn Stars is probably the best thing to ever happen to him if he's getting paid well for appearing on the show.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

This was scripted too, but I liked it: in the one where the woman brought in the Rat Patrol lunchbox, Rick was trying to describe what Rat Patrol was about and he said "It was a low-budget show about four guys in the desert"... then he did a 'take' towards the camera. Low budget, four guys, desert... where have I heard this before? I loved that line, and he did just enough of a reaction to make it subtly funny.

Agree that Chum doesn't seem 30... if I didn't know him and had to guess, I'd probably say 22 or so.

The number of tattoos he and Cory have is incredible... I think Cory once mentioned that "I have three grand worth of ink on my arms".

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:52 AM

The things people bring in, the experts that get called in (what happened to Drew? My fav)the history and trivia of the items and the bartering back and forth make the show worth watching for me. I could just do without the phony drama and BS.

espie, you reminded me of my favorite lines.
A guy cames in with a huge Pez collection he wanted to sell for a crazy price and when he couldn't come to an agreement with Rick, he said, "you've insulted the entire Pez community!"

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that one... weasel-y looking guy. My brother used to have the Batman dispenser with the cape... one of many things I wish we still had!

There was one guy who gave Rick a lot of crap over the price of an item... and I can't remember what it was... to the point where the huge bouncer near the door took a step towards them. I remember Rick said "It's okay, Antoine, I got it", and managed to keep control of the situation and cool the guy off. I wonder how often stuff like that happens? You'd have to be kinda nuts to cause real trouble on camera, but when the cameras are off, I bet operating a pawn shop can be a bit risky, particularly the dreaded "night shift". They seem to have a lot of protection around the shop; I bet they need it.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

I've been to the store and they were covered up with tourists to the point that there was a wait line and they would only let people in as others left. And this was New Year's Day.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

Yeah, those penny buckets were awfully clean...

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

I just like the show for what it is. Sometimes it is interesting and I actually learn something. The idea is to showcase some things of historical interest and that's why we see Rick on the side explaining the background. They are operating a real life store and film around that and when their "experts" can have time to come in. Yeah it's way scripted.... who cares! Otherwise they still couldn't operate a business.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

A guy cames in with a huge Pez collection he wanted to sell for a crazy price and when he couldn't come to an agreement with Rick, he said, "you've insulted the entire Pez community!"

My favorite segments are with the delusional people who think they have something worth way more than what its actually worth or in some cases close to worthless or too much trouble.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

delusional people who think they have something worth way more than what its actually worth or in some cases close to worthless or too much trouble.

My favorites are the people who, when told that their broken old item is worth $0-$5, persist with the "But it's OLD!" They have no clue that mere age doesn't make a worthless piece of junk valuable.

SomeJoeBlow

SomeJoeBlow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

I realize it's all fake, but I hate the "I have to make some money, too!" thing that navigates all of the negotiations. Yeah, I have to make 50%+ on every transaction just to pay the utilities -- what a crock of shit! It kind of makes you hate the "Pawn Stars", because (if the TV show is to be believed) they're totally ripping people off.

I do like when people come in with rare books, though...because I *really* like when they have to call the book expert Rebecca, and she's on my TV for an entire segment..

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

Well, it's more than utilities. It's salaries and benefits, lease or mortgage on the store front and storage, insurance, the cost of holding the item (they don't just magically get sold the next day), any fees for auctions these things may go to, etc, etc, etc, and then the profit. Yes, it's a high mark-up, but they are in business to make money too. If these people want to get top dollar they can find a buyer.

All that said, the negotiation is my least favorite part. I'd rather they just put up a screen stating something like "Joe Smith initially asked for X, but ended up with Y." or "After Rick offered X as his top price, Joe Smith decided not to sell to the pawn shop and left with his item."

Edited by aquarian1, Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:40 PM.