Pawn Stars

• Please log in to reply

1128 replies to this topic

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2009 @ 5:17 PM

I'm not sure why, but I really like this show. Why it's on the History channel, I don't know, but that hasn't stopped them before. For the most tenous of linkages, it does feature old items that sometimes you get high level info on.

Offical link.

I do find it interesting, the things that get brought in - air ejector seats, cannons, boats, etc. I mean, I know they're only showing the more interesting things, but still, the fact that they are there to be shown says something. I also love the negotiating. "I was hoping to get $1000." "I can give you $200." Heh. And no hard feelings when the deal falls through.

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2009 @ 8:22 PM

I know, I like it too. It's interesting but calm. The Old Man is hard to look at but he's a hoot with a ton of experience in the pawn shop biz. I like that they haggle realistically with the folks and get appraisals on cool stuff and sometimes it's a risk and sometimes it's just good business. I also like that they keep Chumley around because I get the feeling that he'd be hard pressed to find employment elsewhere.

All in all a nice family show without a lot of fake drama.

Bethlyn

Bethlyn

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 10:03 AM

Thanks for posting this, aquarian1. I would never have heard of this show otherwise, and I really liked the one episode I saw so far (comic books, coke machine, repro gun). Season pass, baby!

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 11:27 AM

Add me to the list of fans. Reasonably (although not completely) drama-free, and you get to find out about a lot of cool stuff.

When I started watching, I thought I would dislike Rick, but discovered that I like him. Then I thought I would dislike the Old Man, but now that I've seen him in a few episodes where he's more prominent, I actually like him a lot. I do not, however, like the son, Big Hoss From the first time I saw him he struck me as a cocky a**hole, and nothing has changed my mind about that.

I was really surprised about the Coke machine last night. After refurbishment, it looked so different that I'm surprised it was worth it. I mean if you going to replace everything inside as well as goodly portion of the outer shell, it seems it would be cheaper to buy a new one. Well, that's why you watch a show like this, I guess.

Does anyone know how long it's been on? I thought it only started recently, but they keep airing reruns of episodes I haven't seen.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 11:53 AM

Glad I could tune you into something you enjoyed, Bethlyn.

When I started watching, I thought I would dislike Rick, but discovered that I like him. Then I thought I would dislike the Old Man, but now that I've seen him in a few episodes where he's more prominent, I actually like him a lot. I do not, however, like the son, Big Hoss From the first time I saw him he struck me as a cocky a**hole, and nothing has changed my mind about that.

A great big "ditto" from me on t his one. I really like Rick, he seems pretty easy going and pretty smart, and smart enough to know when he needs an expert. I loved when the Old Man instituted the Curse Jar - man a lot of those employees curse a lot. But I noticed Rick did not. I know that could be editing, but he does seem to work with the customers a lot more, and definately has more experience than some of the others.

Anyone know what the Coke Machine ended up being valued at? My DVR cut off right before the price was said. Grr... I have since added a minute to the end of my recording.

ladikara

ladikara

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

Add me to the list of fans too. It was really interesting. I kind of felt like it was a mix of antiques roadshow only more ummmmm reality tv-ish. :) I have never noticed this show before, which makes me think it's a newer show. I for sure will be setting my DVR to tape it on a regular basis.

I felt bad for the guy last night that had the old gun that he purchased for $800. His wife told him to get rid of it (which I think there was more to the story then he shared). He went in asking for $1000 and once they had the expert come in, he was told it wasn't a reproduction. I felt sooo bad for him.

Yes, that coke machine looked so different. It was nice how you could customize it to what size bottles and cans you wanted it to hold. That guy seems to do great work!

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 8:50 AM

They said the final value on the refurbished Coke machine was $7,500.00, but I'm calling a serious load of bullshit on that one. My husband and I collect Coke memorabilia, and we wouldn't have paid more than $3,500.00 for it, mainly because it HAD to have so much restoration, and was restored back from so many components that weren't original.

We bought a two-tone, fairly rare Vendo 110 about 12 years ago for $600.00, missing only a few little parts here and there and in full working order. We didn't even refurbish it until it finally stopped working about two years ago. We spent about $2,500.00 on the restoration, and it's beautiful. But even still, I don't think we could get $7,500.00 for it, and it's 95% original.

patroo

patroo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

I'm not absolutely sure that the remodeled coke machine was the same one - it was a rectangular profile instead of the more rounded one, and while the front could be shaped differently from the back, it was more like George Washington's ax - the head's been replaced once and the handle twice, but it's still George Washington's ax, right?

The end result was cute, but so much of it was redone, and there were so many carcasses of dead machines in his storage lot...I wonder whether it really was possible to turn that pig into a princess in a week. Granted, there was a paying customer waiting to foot the rehab bill on the machine, and those others are on hand for parts or future rebuilds, but it just seemed a little unlikely.

I also thought the native totem piece was the biggest piece of hoo-rah. I might have accepted it as a spiritual art work if it hadn't had cheesy colored feathers on top. Most areas don't have a lot of colored birds with feathers that big - the American Southwest certainly doesn't have canaries the size of turkeys! I see traditional regalia and art all the time, as I work on a reservation, and it's appalling to see something garish and cheap like this. The shop owner that specialized in native items was so over the top. She had obviously drank too much of her own Kool-Aid and believed completely in Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring and the spiritual associations thereof.

The reproduction flintlock that originally cost $800 was a pretty obvious authenticity failure. I find it hard to believe that the purchaser believed for a moment that it was a true original piece. It was a cool gun, but just looked too good.

I learn a lot from this show, but I was surprised that there was such a premium placed on a gun that would fire. I had the impression that a lot of collectible firearms were never fired for fear of decreasing their value. The gun that Chumley fired didn't seem like a particularly safe weapon to test. No one was wearing any significant hearing protection - there could have been ear plugs but no one had the muffs, which are a lot better. I would have worried about that thing blowing up in my face!

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 12:26 AM

Thanks for starting the thread. I knew I couldn't be the only one watching, but I was sure if I started a thread, I'd somehow discover there was one already under some other category.

Good casting job - Rick, Hoss, and the old man play well off of eachother, with Chum Lee thrown in for comic relief.

I loved the couple bringing in their prize piece of Berlin Wall, they kept in the safe in case of fire. Don't they check ebay? They're a dime a dozen.

I too have been mystified by the safety or lack thereof in firing unknown weapons like the cannon. I call BS just due to insurance liability.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 12:51 AM

Glad someone made a thread on this show. I love this show. Anyone know where this pawn shop is in Vegas? I just came back from Vegas and I was hoping to check this place out in person but never had the chance. I like the old man. I like everyone on this show. It doesn't have any drama and I like seeing what items will be pawned. Interesting.

jackjill

jackjill

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

I really enjoy this show too. I like that there is minimal family drama. The old man is a hoot and a half and Rick is very engaging. He's very knowledgeable and isn't afraid to bring in help when he needs it. I love that he has a "buddy" expert in every field! I think that people underestimate him, and it's fun to see him whip out the facts about an item. The son, well, I could do without him. He is annoying. I think Chumlee is so funny -- he just is always kind of there -- don't know what he does except go along to the firing range and to pick up stuff.

recumbentrider

recumbentrider

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 12:04 PM

I have been watching this show since it came on, and both my wife and I enjoy it very much. We only wish there weren't so many repeats, and hope they make a lot more of these shows.

I recorded the latest episode, and watched parts of it over again. (Maybe I need to get out more..) Nevertheless, I do not believe that the soda machine was 'restored'. When I froze the frame looked at the two machines side by side, there is just no way that both pictures were of the same machine. I do not know exactly what happened; maybe the restoration cost on the old machine was too much, and maybe the pawn shop owner didn't want to show a deal he made gone bad; maybe he traded the old machine for a restored one. I simply find it impossible to believe that the 'old' machine was the same machine as the 'restored' machine that was shown.

It was too bad for the guy who had the 'fake' flintlock pistol. It was something to see him smiling when the expert started to describe the gun, and see his mood change so quickly when he learned it was a reproduction. I will give this guy respect and credit for having the courage to let the show give him an 'exit interview' where he let out a stream of F-bombs while telling us how worried he was going to be when his wife found out about this.

Aarond23

Aarond23

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2009 @ 11:27 PM

This show is pretty good, I've caught it on demand. Its a little bit Antiques Roadshow. I've always understood there is a big difference between what something is 'worth' and what you can actually sell something for. I don't think the guys are interesting enough for the show to last very long, but thats just me.

Jamie1

Jamie1

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 11:22 AM

I just caught this show yesterday. I heard about it but didn't know when it was going to be on. I saw the episode with the coke machine bottle, comic books, etc. The only thing I felt really bad about was the guy that had the flintlock pistol and then later found out it was a fake. I felt so bad for him because he was getting SO excited when the guy was saying how much it was worth and then he's like, by the way it's fake haha. Other than that, GREAT show. It shows what the supply and demand is now a days and how if you just invest a little bit of money, you can turn something to be worth alot of money.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

I heard about it but didn't know when it was going to be on.

The regular airing time for new episodes seems to be Sunday nights at 9pm central/10pm eastern with a different repeat episode following it at 9:30/10:30. I think I may have also seen it OnDemand, but you have to went your way down the menus to the History Channel.

siamesecat2965

siamesecat2965

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 4:46 PM

The regular airing time for new episodes seems to be Sunday nights at 9pm central/10pm eastern with a different repeat episode following it at 9:30/10:30. I think I may have also seen it OnDemand, but you have to went your way down the menus to the History Channel.

They're showing a bunch of episodes tonight, beginning at 8, a new one at 10, and another repeat at 10:30....

I love this show too; the old man cracks me up....and Rick is pretty funny himself. I could do without the son and Chumley...they're both just obnoxious.

jackjill

jackjill

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 8:01 AM

That car was gorgeous when it was restored. The gas pump? Just like the Coke machine -- it was unrecognizable. I really enjoy this show.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 2:36 PM

The gas pump reno discussion was funny - the renovation guy said something like "Yeah, I'll gut it, remove all the doors, remove all the glass..." and I was thinking what's left? I really think he just gave him a different one. The Coke machine I could maybe believe because with a different door (which he said he'd replace in order to accomodate any kind of bottle) it can look quite different, but this one, I don't know. Didn't it say Marathon before and now it was something else too.

mamapajama

mamapajama

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

My family loves this show, especially the Old Man and Chumley. Big Hoss gets on my nerves. I love Rick's laugh, I think he and "Muttley," from the Wacky Racers, were separated at birth.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2009 @ 11:43 AM

It really irks me to see many people going into the pawn shop thinking they are going to get the full value of something. That is not what a pawn shop does. You go there for some easy money without the hassle of an auction.

I have a question regarding stolen items. The scene where the father set up someone to come in with a necklace so he can watch whether his son would buy the necklace that might be stolen, don't the pawn shops have some sort of access via computers as to what items have been reported stolen? I thought when someone came in with an item to pawn, the pawn shops could run the information in the computer and find out if it is a stolen item. Why am I thinking this?

Edited by Malibu65, Sep 7, 2009 @ 11:44 AM.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2009 @ 5:55 PM

I cannot help but wonder why they let Chumlee make deals with actual customers. The guy is, to put it nicely, a few bricks short of a load. Until last night, I thought they kept him on strictly for comic relief.

Regarding a computer check, I don't know what's in place and I'm sure it varies by police department, but I think that would work only for very specific items, like a Rolex. (Everyone seems to know all the intimate details of their Rolex. I wear a Timex, myself.) Or maybe an item that has a serial number. But a gold chain is just a gold chain, right? And there are probably plenty of gold chains to go around in Vegas.

It really irks me to see many people going into the pawn shop thinking they are going to get the full value of something. That is not what a pawn shop does. You go there for some easy money without the hassle of an auction.

It's interesting that by bringing something in to pawn, some people get a free authentication and estimation of value courtesy of Rick. Those usually cost money. The guy they brought in to authenticate the John Hancock signature was almost drooling over that thing. I thought for a minute he was going to offer to buy it himself. If I was that customer, when I decided I didn't want what Rick was offering, I would have gone right to that guy's auction house.

Edited by LogCabinPat, Sep 7, 2009 @ 5:56 PM.

Ms Snarkasm

Ms Snarkasm

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2009 @ 7:07 PM

Rick is, far and away, the guy with whom I'd most like to have a beer. (Bonus if he brings along The Old Man.) Love love love his personality, and I am blown away at least once every week by the amount of knowledge he and The Old Man have stored in their brains. How could you not love a guy who can appraise an old motorcycle one minute and a Renoir the next?

Add me to the no love for Big Hoss camp. While Rick and The Old Man still carry the demeanor of being just plain folk even though they've clearly done very well for themselves, Hoss seems to have fallen victim to the very worst character traits of kids raised with money -- he acts entitled and superior, and it's not at all becoming. I was really hoping that Criss Craft boat deal would have blown up in his face. A big dose of humility would do him good.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2009 @ 9:32 PM

But a gold chain is just a gold chain, right? And there are probably plenty of gold chains to go around in Vegas.

I realize that. I asked the question not because of the chain. This was the second time I had watched a scene where the topic of stolen item was discussed. The first time was the chopper a man was trying to pawn because he needed the cash for payroll. It made me wonder if there was in fact a system for pawn shops to use to discover if an item is in fact stolen.

WindStar

WindStar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 11:09 AM

We caught this show the other night, and it is our new favorite. Rick is the best! I love it when he just pops out with some obscure fact. Chumlee...what an idiot. And heaven help us, they are starting with the family drama, hiring in the niece and having big Hoss train her. I have done my share of trading with pawn shops, and I have been amazed at what some of these people wanted for their items...if the "expert" tells you it is worth $8500, it is not likely that the pawn shop will give you that. They have to make profit too...anyway, I can't wait to see more of this show! It kind of reminds me of Family Plots, that used to be on A&E, in the family aspect...although PS is less angsty than FP was.

recumbentrider

recumbentrider

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 11:38 AM

Regarding the gas pump from a few weeks ago, to me it still looked like the same pump, although it was heavily restored, and some items (such as the globe) were added. I can still see how some would be convinced that it was a different gas pump, however. I still do not believe that the soda machine from a few weeks ago was the same as the 'restored' soda machine, for instance.

I really liked the glass sword guy. Was something that Rick let get away? Certainly a 'glass sword' could never be used as a real sword, but it looked like a beautiful piece of art glass. I think the pawn shop could have sold it as a glass sculpture. Neither Rick or the artist discussed price, but I wonder what the artist would have been willing to sell it for. I would especially like to see the Roman sword the same guy was working on, which he said he was putting 'flames' inside.

I enjoyed watching the discussion about the John Hancock signature. When Rick was offering $3000 for it, I was shouting 'Don't sell it!' as if the seller could hear me. Not that Rick's price wasn't fair, but I just didn't think it was a good idea for anyone to sell something that precious and rare, unless they were in the most dire of emergencies. I think that something like that document is something that should be handed down in one's family, and never sold.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 5:05 PM

but I just didn't think it was a good idea for anyone to sell something that precious and rare, unless they were in the most dire of emergencies.

I didn't get why the guy went into the pawn shop to begin with since he stated he was not in need of the money. If he was merely wanting to find out the value, why not take it to someone who specializes in such things? Or do these people know they can get a free authentication at the pawn shop? Why is a specialist willing to go to the pawn shop and give a free authentication when they could charge?

Edited by Malibu65, Sep 8, 2009 @ 5:07 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 10:00 AM

I can't believe Rick bought a plane! And after all was said and done with the repairs he'd be lucky to make 2500-3000 off of it. He paid $6500 and the repairs were something like $21000, and his expert said he could get $25-30000 for it. Wow.

Also, I love that Rick has a "buddy" for everything. Kind of like Sam on Burn Notice. Between the two of them you could probably find someone for anything you had a question on (ignoring the fact that Sam is a fictional character).

ETA: And Chumlee! learning more about art so he doesn't by junk anymore. I was surprised that he did remember what Rick taught him since he seemed so not into it during the lesson.

Edited by aquarian1, Sep 14, 2009 @ 10:02 AM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 11:41 AM

What I find entertaining about Chumleee is how ignorant he is. Why do they allow this guy to even be dealing with potential customers when the guy obviously knows very little about the pawn business? I wonder how much of that is just drama drummed up for the cameras? If that is for real, then why not keep the guy away from the counter and have him do something else?

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2009 @ 9:57 PM

Neither Rick or the artist discussed price, but I wonder what the artist would have been willing to sell it for.

As I recall, he wanted $700 or $800 for it. Rick just laughed.

carastarr

carastarr

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

Yay! Hubby and I have been watching this for a while now and between Sunday nights and the marathons, I think we've seen them all. We recorded the Coke Machine epi TWICE and both times it cut off the end! Finally caught it "live" and understand what some posters are saying. And besides the door shape being different, the paint job was completely changed from the original, which disappointed me for some reason.

I like Chumlee. I used to think some of it was a put on, but now I see it isn't and that makes me enjoy him even more. Loved when he tried out the calf roping machine.

I started to really like the grandpa when Rick bought the old car (Lincoln?) and grandpa had to have it once it was restored. You notice during interviews he is leaning on it, and drives up in it during the opening sequence.

The son is annoying. I think he's trying really hard to be something he's not, especially now being on TV. And "Big Hoss"? Puh-lease. I don't like the way he talks to his dad and grandpa either.

Rick is okay, but his laughter bugs the crud out of me. Anytime he counters an offer really low, he does this fake laugh, like to soften the blow or something, and it bugs. Also hate when he talks up a piece in the interview, or even to the seller, but as they get closer to talking price, he starts downing it like, "I've seen better/it's not in that great of shape" or "there isn't a huge market for this item..." but he was just drooling over it a minute ago. He's a businessman, sure, but it still irks me.

My fave is the guy with the repro gun and his reaction outside. Poor guy. That bit was even featured on The Soup, lol.