The Walking Dead: The Zombie Apocalypse Will Be Televised

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3286 replies to this topic

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2009 @ 3:44 PM

Yes, I know that it's probably too early to be creating a thread for this show, because it's only in development, but holy crap, I wanna see this show! I've only read the first couple of trade paperbacks, but it's one hell of a story, and I'm eager to see the adaptation of it. Especially since Frank Darabont will be helming it. If anyone can do it justice, he can.

If you're not familiar with the story, here's the gist. It revolves around Rick Grimes, a cop who wakes up from a coma to find that the world is overrun by zombies. He finds a group of survivors lead by his best friend (which includes his wife and seven-year-old son), and winds up leading the group on a search for a safe haven. The heart of the story, though, is the character drama between the survivors (because if you think his friend would be happy that his buddy took over the group, you're dead wrong).

I'm definitely eager to see this. Hell, I'll even get digital cable if I have to.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2009 @ 4:41 PM

What in the hell got into the PTB at AMC? Since when do they want to be HBO all of a sudden?

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

In talking about this with another WD reader here at work, I realized that I would actually prefer it if the show didn't focus on Rick & Co. I'd like to see the trials and tribulations of another group of survivors. Heck, they could even coordinate with Kirkman and do a crossover with the comic, where the two groups encounter one another for a bit.

Either way, though, this is unexpected and exciting news.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

Zombie apocalypse show? I'm instantly signed up. Zombies are awesome.

Somehow I'm imagining something like the second half of the first season of Jericho, but with more dead people walking around.

Edited by furrylump, Aug 12, 2009 @ 7:06 PM.

NIccibee

NIccibee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2009 @ 7:28 PM

Well, this should be cheery!

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2009 @ 7:59 PM

Somehow I'm imagining something like the second half of the first season of Jericho, but with more dead people walking around.

And smarter people, too.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

AMC...doing a regular series with zombies. That's such an awesome mismatch I can't even wrap my brain around it.

<wishing really hard> Walton Goggins on speed-dial...Walton Goggins on speed-dial...

Dynamite Teddy

Dynamite Teddy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 10:08 PM

After Babylon Fields was unfairly not picked up I say bring it on. I've always wanted a Zombie show and AMC sounds like a great fit. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Zombies what's next?? Hopefully they pick up 99 Stories, which sounded really cool.

On the Walton Goggins front I think he may be unavailable in another AMC show about lawyers called Rectify. I'm not really excited about another show about lawyers but it is Walton Goggins so who knows.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2009 @ 4:34 PM

I love this series, so I can't wait to see how AMC does with the series. I'm apprehensive, but also really excited. I can't wait for more information - right now I can't find much.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 2:09 AM

Yes, I know that it's probably too early to be creating a thread for this show, because it's only in development, but ...

Well, you've locked in the Thread Title of WIN, so it's all good. I'm not into zombies, but the character drama part of it sounds like it could interesting.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 4:14 PM

Tangentially on topic, here's an interesting news article.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

I am very excited about this show. I had to check and see if I got AMC--I never watch that channel. My guess is with "Mad Men" and all they are trying to become the basic cable HBO and this is their "True Blood"? I don't know. I'm making this up.

I wonder which will get out to the masses first, this or the "World War Z" film? Zombies are almost as popular as vampires these days.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

AMC officially orders pilot.

NIccibee

NIccibee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

Oh man, I couldn't even finish Vol 4 of the GNs, it's so grim. Therefore, even though I love the idea of this show, I doubt I'll watch it.

Grim Grimitty Grim

Now, where's that TV show of Hellblazer that's been in my head for the past 5 years?

Atropos

Atropos

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading, writing, screenwriting, journalism, public relations.

Posted Jan 21, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

Off the top of my head, the "guy wakes up from coma to find the world overrun by zombies" thing feels like it's been done before (28 Days Later), as does the "group of survivors searching for the promised land" (Stephen King's novel "Cell," Dollhouse, The Book of Eli, etc).

Since this is AMC, I predict that the show will be very slow-moving, and the zombies will have slicked-back hair, drink and smoke a lot, and have condescending attitudes toward women..

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 4:36 PM

AMC announced today it has greenlit "The Walking Dead" as a six-episode series ....

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 9:57 AM

Sweet!

Just hope I can get to watch it without having to install digital cable. ('Cause I will, if I have to....)

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2010 @ 1:45 PM

Andrew Lincoln has been cast as Rick.

http://www.thrfeed.c...dead-lead-.html

Liked Lincoln a lot in Teachers, but This Life was before my time. I'm guessing he's fairly unknown in the US?

Cozmicmyst

Cozmicmyst

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:photography, ice skating/ice hockey, reading, hiking/mountain climbing, concerts, board games, movies, amusement parks, boating, video games, City of Heroes, art/history museums, road trips, meeting new people, geeky stuff, LARPing, Anime, etc.

Posted Apr 6, 2010 @ 3:07 PM

Is this a series or a mini series? Also, I really hope hulu picks this show up too! I'm SO excited!

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2010 @ 6:30 PM

The impression I got was it was a six-episode initial order, to test the waters.

I'm just hoping that it streams in Canada.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2010 @ 4:46 PM

Sarah Wayne Calles from Prison Break cast:

The Ausiello Files fave will portray Lori Grimes, the slowly-unraveling wife of the show’s hero, Rick (Andrew Lincoln).

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 12:28 AM

Laurie Holden (The X-Files, The Shield) has been cast. Also mentioned in the article as having been cast are Jeffrey DeMunn, Jon Bernthal, and Steven Yeun.

I want to watch this because of some of the actors involved, but zombies ain't really my thing. So, I'd rather this series be more character-centric than horror flick.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 6:56 PM

I want to watch this because of some of the actors involved, but zombies ain't really my thing. So, I'd rather this series be more character-centric than horror flick.

Well, if the comic's any indication, it's as much about the characters as it is about the horror. Probably even moreso.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 9:57 PM

That article also noted that one of The Shield's writer-producers, Adam Fierro, is now a consulting producer on TWD. That's a very good thing in my book. (Like ScribblerGuy I'm not a big zombie fan either, but the show's pedigree and its miniseries status is luring me in.)

Nostariel

Nostariel

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 11:42 PM

God help me, I'm actually getting excited about this. I love the WD comics, and the casting and production news we're getting is giving me hope that this won't be another fiasco à la the crappy Prisoner remake. Yay, zombies!

Karmen

Karmen

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 11:08 AM

I feel like such a nerd for loving this comic book, but it's like crack. I hope it's not a mini-series, honestly, I want many seasons.

I'm really curious on the casting for Michonne and Abe, my favorite characters besides Carl. If Adam Baldwin wasn't on Chuck, I'd think he'd be a perfect Abe. To continue down the Firefly alum route, Gina Torres would be a kick-ass Michonne. We know she can play stoic and fierce.

Edited by Karmen, May 11, 2010 @ 11:09 AM.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2010 @ 7:17 PM

AMC has a photo gallery of the zombies up.

THR's Live Feed also has an interview with Frank Darabont (which I haven't watched).

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

I'm glad I found this forum today. I think it's the only twop sci fi/adventure forum I've looked at since The 4400 and The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Very excited about this show. The comic books are amazing. I would also love to see a tv version of the comic book DMZ, but that's a different discussion for a different forum.

Edited by Navin, Jun 11, 2010 @ 7:15 AM.

jeajea

jeajea

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 5:09 PM

First production photo from the series.

Damn that thing looks awesome.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 5:27 PM

Wow, those zombies look awesome. I'm not familiar with the source material but I'm definitely checking this out.